• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shane Kim extremely confident in first-party vs. Sony

jamesb23

"My most important job is to make sure Microsoft Game Studios has a competitive advantage as a first-party versus Sony's first-party. That is my number one job, and we will gladly go head-to-head with Sony's first party with our portfolio, with our titles, with our performance and I think we're going to make a huge difference in winning this generation. Again, it goes back to our objective as a company; our objective is to win this generation and we recognized a long time ago that the third-party environment is changing because you're not going to see as many third-party exclusives and in the past most of those benefits have actually gone to Sony through installed base etc, etc. That's changing now going forward so if the third-party playing field is basically neutral, which I could honestly look at and go "it's neutral," it's going to be up to the first parties to differentiate the platforms from a content standpoint. That's what we've been totally focused on the past three to four years and I think you're starting to see the fruits of that. Gears of War is a great example of that. We have a ton of respect for independent developers that are out there that work with Sony, but when it comes to going head-to-head with them as a publisher, we welcome that conversation."

Also, on the rumors that new 360 hardware is coming:

What I will say is that we're always look at how we can improve the entire experience, whether it's in the hardware or in the services and software itself. I think it's a lot easier to address the hardware changes that customers would want and that we would want as well than it is to actually deliver the software and service innovations that we have, particularly on Xbox Live. So I look at that as saying, "Of course we're going to listen to customers." When we launched Xbox Live Video Marketplace last year, which I think was a great innovation, it's been super successful and very popular for us on Xbox Live. Of course, customers are saying, "Hey, it'd be nice if we had a larger hard drive with all of this content that we've already been downloading on top of Video Marketplace and now you're adding to it." So that's just one example of where, "Ok, gosh we've heard that people would like a larger hard drive and things like that." Those are things that we're always looking at, and like I said, that stuff is much easier to add to than to think about all of the software innovations that our competitors would have to do to be comparable to what we do.

Tons more: http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15529

mood

No reason not to be confident at this point in time. Their new first party strategy looks very solid.

Yoboman

mood said:
No reason not to be confident at this point in time. Their new first party strategy looks very solid.
So is Sony's. I would be in confident in the lineup, but not confident that it is superior

Strangely though, I'd say both Sony and MS have a superior first party offering than Nintendo. Has this ever happened before?

Shane Kim, while less entertaining than Peter Moore, is pretty much the closest thing to a "straight shooter" Microsoft has; I like him. He even had faith in Viva Pinata when no one else did. Well, its sales aren't amazing but its still a great game...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yoboman said:
So is Sony's. I would be in confident in the lineup, but not confident that it is superior

Strangely though, I'd say both Sony and MS have a superior first party offering than Nintendo. Has this ever happened before?

Just because Nintendo hasn't shown a lot doesn't mean it isn't coming..the Japanese 1st party lineup looks very good.

Mrbob

The only problem I see with MS first party is that they seem to be gearing up for 2007. I would really like to see what is beyond, because the PS3 won't be getting into its groove until 2008. Also, Sony's first party is much larger than MS first party. MS first party is somewhat small, and I don't know how they will keep up with Sony releases. I guess having less games but making them all bigger hits is a good strategy to aim for, but they pretty much need a hit out of every release by doing this strategy.

P90

Yoboman said:

Nah, SMG and SSB:B chew up and spit out Sony's and MS' 1st party efforts.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Mrbob said:
The only problem I see with MS first party is that they seem to be gearing up for 2007. I would really like to see what is beyond, because the PS3 won't be getting into its groove until 2008. Also, Sony's first party is much larger than MS first party. MS first party is somewhat small, and I don't know how they will keep up with Sony releases. I guess having less games but making them all bigger hits is a good strategy to aim for, but they pretty much need a hit out of every release by doing this strategy.

X07. Their plan has stopped from making things and hoping it sticked to swinging for the fences every time out.

Yoboman said:

As far as sales? No chance in hell. Nintendo's output will destroy what Sony and Microsoft has. The only ace in the holes are Gran Turismo and Halo.

Yoboman said:

I'd definitely go along with that. 2007 is sick with excellent 1st/2nd party games from the next gen camps.

Mrbob said:
The only problem I see with MS first party is that they seem to be gearing up for 2007. I would really like to see what is beyond, because the PS3 won't be getting into its groove until 2008.

I'm positively sure that come E3 and X07, we'll see more 2008 stuff.

Andy787

Banned
Mass Effect and the Sakaguchi games look fabulous, and I would say Microsoft is in a very good position software-wise when including third party (with the 360's earlier release), but, nah, try again Shane.

Microsoft's first party has improved pretty dramatically this gen, as Sony's did last, but Sony's lineup and portfolio of IP completely dwarfs Microsoft's, from the standpoint of quantity, quality, and variety, and apart from outside studios like Bioware and Epic, Sony's stable of developers are in a league far above Microsoft's. I would say Sony currently employs the greatest stable of developers in the world.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Microsoft's first and third party lineup in Fall 2007 looks to be one of the best game lineups ever. Nintendo and Sony should take note in terms of making a lineup that gets gamers excited.

There are Japanese RPG's, Sandbox games, Western RPG's, FPS games, Racing games, and many more.

Firestorm

a Master Ninja said:
Halo 3 could outsell them worldwide, it is not out of the question.

Outsell them combined? Hell no.
Outsell them one-on-one? Probably, although Smash will put up a fight.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Microsoft's first and third party lineup in Fall 2007 looks to be one of the best game lineups ever. Nintendo and Sony should take note in terms of making a lineup that gets gamers excited.

There are Japanese RPG's, Sandbox games, Western RPG's, FPS games, Racing games, and many more.

Pretty much.

Hcoregamer00 said:

Indeed. It would be sinful to not own a 360 this fall.

Andy787 said:
Mass Effect and the Sakaguchi games look fabulous, and I would say Microsoft is in a very good position software-wise when including third party (with the 360's earlier release), but, nah, try again Shane.

Microsoft's first party has improved pretty dramatically this gen, as Sony's did last, but Sony's lineup and portfolio of IP completely dwarfs Microsoft's, from the standpoint of quantity, quality, and variety, and apart from outside studios like Bioware and Epic, Sony's stable of developers are in a league far above Microsoft's. I would say Sony currently employs the greatest stable of developers in the world.

They sure don't seem to be doing enough to surpass the 360 this year.

Blasphemy

Ulairi said:
Did Halo perform well outside of the USA?

Halo isn't a system seller outside of NA:

mssony1stnq1.gif

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Rancid Mildew said:
Indeed. It would be sinful to not own a 360 this fall.

I don't own an XBOX 360

I am waiting for cooler components so it doesn't die on me like all the horror stories I have seen.

Until then, I can wait until Blue Dragon comes out.

Andy787

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
They sure don't seem to be doing enough to surpass the 360 this year.
As long as the games are great, isn't that all that matters? Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Lair, Ratchet & Clank Future, LittleBigPlanet, Calling All Cars, Warhawk, and Hot Shots Golf 5 look like highly worthwhile pieces of interactive entertainment, I think. Those are all this year.

Also Afrika.

Hcoregamer00 said:

I agree. This year is great for Microsoft and the lineup spread throughout the year is consistently great. All of Sony's heavy hitters are coming late this year (and not much before that), which is why I haven't gotten a PS3 yet. I'm not too sure about the Wii's though...

2007 Retail games (awesome from both):

1st Party Highlights for 360: Mass Effect (woot), Blue Dragon (woot), Lost Odyssey, Forza 2, Halo 3, Alan Wake (hopefully), Banjo Kazooie (woot), Shadowrun (meh)

1st Party Highlights for PS3: Ratchet & Clank (woot), Warhawk, Lair, Heavenly Sword (woot), Singstar

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Blasphemy said:
Halo isn't a system seller outside of NA:

snip

To use your chart as far as games sold versus the userbases of both, the Xbox games would look much more impressive.

Andy787 said:
As long as the games are great, isn't that all that matters? Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Lair, Ratchet & Clank Future, LittleBigPlanet, Calling All Cars, Warhawk, and Hot Shots Golf 5 look like highly worthwhile pieces of interactive entertainment, I think. Those are all this year.

Also Afrika.

One is a demo and the other is a $5 arcade title...

I will admit the other games you listed look good... but come on. If you are going to do list warz do it properly.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Firestorm said:
Outsell them combined? Hell no.
Outsell them one-on-one? Probably, although Smash will put up a fight.

Cute SD Master Chief in SSB confirmed?

No

i don't care about all the damn console bickering- i'm just glad to have this many new promising IPs in the industry. its time for some fresh blood.

JB1981

This will turn into nothing but List Wars but Sony 1st party still outclasses MS' in depth and breadth and the gap will only continue to widen. If I recall correctly, Sony internal studios currently has 150 games in development.

JB1981 said:
This will turn into nothing but List Wars but Sony 1st party still outclasses MS' in depth and breadth and the gap will only continue to widen. If I recall correctly, Sony internal studios currently has 150 games in development.

holy crap

edit: that can't be true...

lix2k3

I can see Shane Kim will be moving on up at MS. He's crafty with his words, confident, and as the head of first-party, he's basically performed miracles in Redmond.

Grayman

JB1981 said:
WOWIE ZOWIE!

soco said:
he's the head guy. he'd be confident if he only had one game coming out and it was Fuzion Frenzy.

Could be, but with the MS 2007 month by month line up, we won't ever have to find out. ;)

FrankT

JB1981 said:

When I see them I'll believe. This year I have yet to see them get anywhere close to MS's first party line up, that is all.

Andy787

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
One is a demo and the other is a $5 arcade title...

I will admit the other games you listed look good... but come on. If you are going to do list warz do it properly.
me said:
As long as the games are great, isn't that all that matters?
Seriously, what do your remarks have to do with the games? Calling All Cars looks like a great game. Is it not going to be fun because of its price? Is LittleBigPlanet not going to be an amazing new experience because it is not a larger retail product?

Are you high? Stop being stupid. Woody Allen deserves better representation.

chriskzoo

Banned
JB1981 said:

Yep, that's what Phil Harrison said in the most recent Next-Gen podcast - in addition to saying the EVERY internal producer is encouraged to also be working on a PSN-only title on top of their "main" title.

LJ11

Karma Kramer said:
One is a demo

Phil Harrison confirmed that LBP will be released as a full game (download only) this fall. They will then take the best user created content, bundle it with the LBP, and release it to retail in '08. The interview is on Chris Kohler's blog.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I seem to recall an article saying something about that 150 games comment, but no ****ing way in hell is that true. I mean I don't think there were even 1/3 of that many games published by Sony on the PS2. And we're expected to believe it's going to more than triple with rising costs and the like?

Top Bottom