• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shane Kim extremely confident in first-party vs. Sony

Kangu

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
They own Sky Odyssey?

Um, why is there not a second with Sixaxis support? Stupid sony.

I share your outrage. Why Sony?? On this day of Mondayton you must shake the very foundations of our medium and reveal: SKY ODYSSEY 2!!

Next gen Sky Odyssey with gameplay by the Cross, graphics by team ICO and music by the original composer (also the composer on SotC).

I think the original dev team is DEAD :'(

Steroyd

Can we even confidently compare anything to Sony's first party?

Sony creates a desert like drought on anything happening at Sony HQ, then from nowhere they announce a game like LBP that gets everyone in a flurry.

The sheer amount of dev power they've got under their wing with games officially announced doesn't add up IMO.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Oblivion said:
I seem to recall an article saying something about that 150 games comment, but no ****ing way in hell is that true. I mean I don't think there were even 1/3 of that many games published by Sony on the PS2. And we're expected to believe it's going to more than triple with rising costs and the like?

Oblivion said:
I was talking about the PS2 when I made that comment. What you showed includes every franchise Sony has done and has planned so far for every system.

If you look at the list of games IGN has published by SCE for PS2, take out all the demo discs and magazine discs etc., you're left with well over 200 titles. And it's missing a couple, at least.

Andrew2

Banned
Seriouly though confident in their 1st-party than Sony? Since their purchase I still wonder about Rare when you consider the fact they have yet to actually make a title that could be classed as respectable. Probably make you wonder why the Stamper brothers jet...they saw the ship was sinking and probably didn't want to continue sinking with it.

Regarding Bungie, I have yet to see them do anything beyond Halo. For all I care Microsoft should just rename them the Halo-Factory.

As for Sony's 1st-party, I would say they are more of a success-story than ever. This when you consider the fact that Sony's 1st-party effort went from garbage on the PS1 to gold on the PS2.

Yes Sony still have their kinks here and there, but Sony's 1st-party is more golden than than the garbage they used to be.

pswii60

B-Ri said:
read this well kids. PSN games are on a different field then the arcade rehashes XBLA gets.

LittleBigPlanet IS NOT A DEMO! kthx.

LittleBigPlanet and Tekken: DR are in the nice green field over to the right, whereas Blast Factor, Cash Chaos, Super Rub a Dub, Go Sodoku et al are in that field full of cow dung over to the left.

You could say that PSN is split between two different fields.

And while LittleBigPlanet is not a demo, it's not technically a game, either. It's unique, looks really very innovative and I expect many to go gaga over it this fall. I just hope they put an emphasis on a full game to play through too, and then use what they've shown so far as a community level editor.

Mrbob said:
The only problem I see with MS first party is that they seem to be gearing up for 2007. I would really like to see what is beyond, because the PS3 won't be getting into its groove until 2008.

Too Human? [/canofworms] (Seriously though - Alan Wake & Halo Wars)

bouc_emissaire

Who Compares, Wins
JB1981 said:
This will turn into nothing but List Wars but Sony 1st party still outclasses MS' in depth and breadth and the gap will only continue to widen. If I recall correctly, Sony internal studios currently has 150 games in development.

That's right, but there'are a lot of EDI games.

However, Sony owns more first party studios than Microsoft and Nintendo together.
And they're working with a lot of strong second party studios.
I think we will see more great first and second party games on PS3.

justjohn

come on now. i know microsoft are doing really well in strenghtning thier first party stuff, but its no where near sony

Mrbob said:
The only problem I see with MS first party is that they seem to be gearing up for 2007. I would really like to see what is beyond, because the PS3 won't be getting into its groove until 2008.
Don't be forgetting Splinter Cell Conviction (third party, lol), Alan Wake, Halo Wars, Banjo Kazooie
thorns said:
XBLA is 90% arcade rehashes?? :lol
Why is this funny? That's what people want, so that's what Microsoft gives them.

Hammer24

Banned
justjohn said:
come on now. i know microsoft are doing really well in strenghtning thier first party stuff, but its no where near sony

True, they left Sony far behind in the last year... :lol

UncleGuito said:
Don't be forgetting Splinter Cell Conviction (third party, lol), Alan Wake, Halo Wars, Banjo Kazooie

Why is this funny? That's what people want, so that's what Microsoft gives them.

It's funny because it's so far from the truth. UNO? Hold Em? Marble Blast? Geometry Wars?

90% is hilariously ignorant.

BenjaminBirdie said:
It's funny because it's so far from the truth. UNO? Hold Em? Marble Blast? Geometry Wars?

90% is hilariously ignorant.
Plus, I'd rather have stuff every week like Symphony of the Night than wait a month or two for shit like Super Rub a Dub Dub or whatever.

Ploid 3.0

Stuff every* week like SOTN huh? Isn't SOTN like the first of it's kind? Large file and all, causing MS to rethink the size limit.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Stuff every* week like SOTN huh? Isn't SOTN like the first of it's kind? Large file and all, causing MS to rethink the size limit.

???

What does size have to do with its presence a continuing example of MS NOT just shoveling out arcade ports?

Alien Hominid?
Worms?

fanboy or not.. 360 has a brilliant lineup of games for 2007, in 2008 expect sequels of their first gen games..including Gears of War 2,etc They are really playing their deck of cards like pro's this gen.

Honestly..and i dig my wii and im excited for what i might be playing on my ps3 in 08 but 360 BY FAR has the best damn lineup of games for this year out of any of these 3 systems...hands down.

And we just begun this year, look what games for 2007 were just announced yesterday for 360 in 2007 ... DMC4 and Ace Combat 6 just added for release on 360 this year.. that was just yesterday, im sure there are a few more AAA titles that have yet to be announced that will be released this year for 360.

Steroyd

Honestly..and i dig my wii and im excited for what i might be playing on my ps3 in 08 but 360 BY FAR has the best damn lineup of games for this year out of any of these 3 systems...hands down.

Too early to be crowning anyone for the whole year atm, we'll have to wait till everyone announces all their 2007 titles at E3 .... D'oh.
BangHead.gif

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
pswii60 said:
LittleBigPlanet and Tekken: DR are in the nice green field over to the right, whereas Blast Factor, Cash Chaos, Super Rub a Dub, Go Sodoku et al are in that field full of cow dung over to the left.

Little Big Planet is obvious a game. And Blast Factor is one hell of an arcade expirence. What are you thinking man?

bouc_emissaire

Who Compares, Wins
Sony first and second party Studios :

First Party Studios :
Sony Studio Santa Monica : God of War
Sony Studio San Diego : MLB '07: The Show (PS3)
989 Studios : NCAA GameBreaker 2005 ) ; NFL GameDay 2004
Sony Studio Foster City : Rise to Honour
Sony Online Entertainment : Untold legends (PS3)
Incognito : Warhawk
Naughty Dog : Uncharted : Drake's Fortune
Zipper Interactive : SOCOM
Sony Bend : Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain (PS2)
Idol Minds : Cool Boarders 2001 (PS2), PS3 project
Sony Studio Liverpool : Formula One CE (PS3), Wipeout PS3 (PS3)
Sony Studio Cambridge : Medievil (PSP et PS1), Primal (PS2), PS3 Project (PS3)
Sony Studio London : Eye-toy (PS2), Singstar (PS2), Buzz (PS2), The gateway (PS2), The Gateway PS3 (PS3), Eight Days (PS3), Singstar (PS3),
Guerrilla Games : Kill Zone 2 (PS3)
Polyphony Digital : Gran Tourismo
Clap Hanz : Minna no Golf 5 (PS3)
MuuMuu : Jumping Flash 3
Team Ico (SCEI - Studio 1) : ICO (PS2) et Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
Team Siren (SCEI) : Siren (PS2), PS3 Project (PS3)
Shift (SCEI - Studio 2) : Ape Escape Academy (PSP)
Alvion (SCEI - Studio 3) : ?
Deep Space (SCEI - Studio 4) : Extermination (PS2)
Sugar & Rockets (SCEI - Studio 5) : Blood: The Last Vampire (PS2)
Cattle Call : Arc the Lad: End of Darkness (PS2)
Contrail : Legaia 2: Duel Saga (PS2)
Zener Works : OKAGE: Shadow King (PS2)
Shade : Granstream Saga (PS1), Orphen: Scion of Sorcery (PS2)
Cellius inc. (Sony Corp + Namco-Bandai, directed by ken Kutaragi) : PS3 projects
Media Molecule : LittleBigPlanet (PS3)

Second Party Studios :
Insomniac : Ratchet and Clank : Tools of Destruction (PS3), Resistance Fall of Man (PS3)
Sucker Punch : Sly Racoon, Sucker Punch Project (PS3)
Factor 5 : Lair (PS3)
Ready at Dawn : Daxter (PSP)
Harmonix : eye-toy games (PS2), Guitar Hero (PS2)
Snowblind Studios : Champions of Norrath (PS2)
Page 44 : Gretzky NHL [working title] (PS3)
High Impact Games : Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters (PSP)
thatgamecompany : flOw (PS3 EDI), PS3 project #2, PS3 project #3
Ninja Theory : Heavenly Sword (PS3)
Evolution Studios : MotorStorm (PS3)
BigBig : Pursuit Force (PSP)
Black Company : ?
Magenta Software : Stuart Little 3: Big Photo Adventure (PS2)
Level 5 : Dark Cloud 1 et 2 (PS2), Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (PS2), Rogue Galaxy (PS2), White Knight Story (PS3)
Rhino Studios : Afrika (PS3)
Gaia : Monster Kingdom (PS3)
Media Vision : Wild ARMs 4 (PS2)
Game Republic : Genji 2 (PS3)
NanaOn-Sha : Parappa The Rapper (PS1), Vib Ribbon (PS1), Parappa The Rapper 2 (PS2)

Microsoft :

First Party Studios :
Rare : Perfect Dark
Forza Team : Forza Motorsport
Bungie : Halo
Lionhead Studios : Fable
Ensemble Studios : Age of Empire
Flight Simulator Team : Flight Simulator

Second Party Studios :
Mistwalker : Blue Dragon ; Lost Oddyssey
Realtime Worlds : Crackdown
FASA Interactive : Shadowrun

What else ? If anybody can complete... :)

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
A lot of contradictions coming from Shane Kim.

* Can't compare a cheaper product. Of course it's going to sell more. Look we are outselling the PS3 right now.

* They should worry about the PS2 outselling the PS3. However, you cannot compare the 360 and the PS2 it's so much cheaper I mean ... I mean...

* Our First Party is up to par with Sonys.... And that's because we believe every game by first party this year will be so awesome... (Fable 2 > Killzone 2 ?) hmmmm

* B+ for 2006 great year for us, although we didnt release much that year =) , thank goodness for gears of war and viva piñata (huh?).

* 360 is a very complex machine, that's why it breaks down. ( Interviewer should have asked if PS3 is arguably much more complex how come it's so much more stable.)

* We beat Sony and Nintendo in Dec and that's what counts. (huh? Beating 2 man in a race while they stand still is something to be proud of? both were supply constraint at that time)

All in all, Great interview by Shane. I liked the way he answered most of the questions without it being complete PR bs (aka peter Moore). I think MS has a long way to being on par with Sony First party but they definitely have a great 2007 lineup. The only worry they should have is that they are throwing everything they got in 2007. Just about every MS studio has a title coming out this year.

They might want to hold off the boost button or they might run out of gas in 2008.

SpacLock

bouc_emissaire said:
Microsoft :

First Party Studios :
Age of Empire Team : Age of Empire

Second Party Studios :

MS's first party puts out nothing but great games. They sure are smart with the purchasing of devs. Thanks for pointing that out. Just imagine what greatness they will buy next!

justjohn

bouc_emissaire said:

First Party Studios :
Sony Studio London : Eye-toy (PS2), Singstar (PS2), Buzz (PS2), The gateway (PS2), The Gateway PS3 (PS3), Eight Days (PS3), Singstar (PS3),
Cellius inc. (Sony Corp + Namco-Bandai, directed by ken Kutaragi) : PS3 projects

Second Party Studios :
Insomniac : Ratchet and Clank : Tools of Destruction (PS3), Resistance Fall of Man (PS3)
Level 5 : Dark Cloud 1 et 2 (PS2), Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (PS2), Rogue Galaxy (PS2), White Knight Story (PS3)
NanaOn-Sha : Parappa The Rapper (PS1), Vib Ribbon (PS1), Parappa The Rapper 2 (PS2)

Microsoft :

First Party Studios :

Second Party Studios :

end of argument

Nameless

I was the first person last generation to give Sony the 1st party crown, but if you look at the performance of some of their games relative to the massive userbase, not many scream "system seller!!" GT yes, though, the lack of online play and untouched A.I. have somewhat hurt the series; and they've probably ascended God of War to that level. But where Nintendo's 1st party support was its selling point and its 3rd party support was a compliment to it's in-house line-up, Sony was the opposite. Most of the systems sellers were 3rd party games, while their 1st party line-up served as icing on the cake. In 2001 it was GTA3, MGS2, and FFX that allowed the PS2 to dominate despite two new consoles launching, not JaK: PtL or ATV off road fury. In 2002 it was Vice City and Kingdom Hearts, and so forth.

szaromir

Banned
TheProfessor said:
All in all, Great interview by Shane. I liked the way he answered most of the questions without it being complete PR bs (aka peter Moore). I think MS has a long way to being on par with Sony First party but they definitely have a great 2007 lineup. The only worry they should have is that they are throwing everything they got in 2007. Just about every MS studio has a title coming out this year.
Well, next year you have Halo Wars, Banjo 3, Infinite Undiscovery, Fable 2 and probably some to be announced. Also Mass Effect 2 should come very fast, since it will reuse many assets and locations from the first one.

Joe211

UncleGuito said:

that's what YOU want...

yukoner

bouc_emissaire said:

First Party Studios :

Second Party Studios :

Microsoft :

First Party Studios :

Second Party Studios :

Sony's support looks great on paper, but the actual release schedule doesn't reflect that at all.

Also, your list is pretty misleading, as alot of MS's best exclusive are coming from 3rd party developers, Alan Wake, Bioshock, Gears of War, Too Human, Mass Effect, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, C&C3 etc

bouc_emissaire

Who Compares, Wins
yukoner said:
Sony's support looks great on paper, but the actual release schedule doesn't reflect that at all.

Also, your list is pretty misleading, as alot of MS's best exclusive are coming from 3rd party developers, Alan Wake, Bioshock, Gears of War, Too Human, Mass Effect, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, C&C3 etc

Shane Kim :

"My most important job is to make sure Microsoft Game Studios has a competitive advantage as a first-party versus Sony's first-party. That is my number one job, and we will gladly go head-to-head with Sony's first party with our portfolio, with our titles, with our performance and I think we're going to make a huge difference in winning this generation. "

I said LOL.

(and he's speaking about first-party, but he refers to second party too).

Ploid 3.0

BenjaminBirdie said:
???

What does size have to do with its presence a continuing example of MS NOT just shoveling out arcade ports?

Alien Hominid?
Worms?

Well my reply was to his post in which he said, "Plus I would rather have stuff every week like SOTN, than wait a month or two for sh*t like super rub a dub or whatever". Compairing the best of XBLA (imo) to an e3 demo slapped into a psn game. Games of SOTN quality were released each week?

And yes, when I made that post I was aware of worms, and alienH being announced (not sure if it was before or after SOTN was announced for XBLA). Jan, and Feb had more than two weeks in it. There were no compairable games to SOTN I believe (Full games released at retail, and yes I know Worms and AlienH were also released at retail).

Kabouter

yukoner said:

Alan Wake, not exclusive.
Bioshock, not exclusive.
Gears of War, only timed exclusive.
C&C3, not exclusive (hell, later release even)
etc.

yukoner said:
Alan Wake, Bioshock, Gears of War, Too Human, Mass Effect, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, C&C3 etc

Since when in the hell is RTCW2 exclusive to any platform? Not to mention the fact that 4/8 titles are also appearing on PC, with a 5th heavily rumored.

Kabouter said:
Alan Wake, not exclusive.
Bioshock, not exclusive.
Gears of War, only timed exclusive.
C&C3, not exclusive (hell, later release even)
etc.

To a ton of console gamers, PC ports simply don't count. They don't want to game on PCs.

LOL @ comparing any of these first-parties to Nintendo's multi-million selling platinum-dripping hits. Nintendo has LEGENDARY, internationally-known IPs. Almost as memorable and immortal as Disney and Warner Bros. characters combined while Sony/Microsoft are Walter Lantz Studio level at best.

Someone pull up all the media create charts from 2005-2006, and kindly remind these curs. NSMB is almost certified DIAMOND, and Nintendo wasn't even trying hard with that game. They're using a fraction of their creativity and power. Hell, even I would be afraid to see what new, Earth-shattering, economy-crippling phenomenon they'd concoct using 100% effort.

God save us all if we ever push them to that end.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
He Wants Chalupas said:
Which means that on average a Sony title sells 3.06 million while the average MS title does 3.61 million. Stop using this ****ing chart.

words.gif

Ever heard of variety?

Ploid 3.0

I loved Mario games back in the day. I can pretty much live off the mario games that were released already. It seems like nintendo's first party games play too safe (minus fps metroid, and eternal darkness. Maybe more). Every thing seems so friendly. Mario, wario, golf, brawl, tennis, type stuff is what I see from the outside (No nintendo since super).

My siblings played the crap out of mario games with me back in the day. They probably don't even know mario games are still made. Nintendo should get another ED, (RE isn't first party but it counts since it's on the system i guess. Just because nintendo allowed it) and more... well now that I think about it, Godfather, and Manhunt 2 is being released on wii. Guess Nintendo is heading in my direction already. Although it's not first party.
==========================

After seeing socom on that chart, it reminded me that sony better have Socom for PS3 in the works. It's a must, for reals.

yukoner

Blasphemy said:
How is it misleading when he clearly bolded first and second party?

Because a large percentage of MS's exclusives don't come from 1st or 2nd parties. If the list is meant to illustrate who will have more exclusives, it's misleading.

yukoner

AltogetherAndrews said:
Since when in the hell is RTCW2 exclusive to any platform? Not to mention the fact that 4/8 titles are also appearing on PC, with a 5th heavily rumored.

Since when do console gamers give a **** what's available on PC? It's almost completely irrelevant to the console market.

I was under the impression that ID is making Wolfenstein for PC/360 exclusively, but I could be wrong.

yukoner

mckmas8808 said:
words.gif

Ever heard of variety?

Ever heard of living in the past? PS2 owned Xbox in variety, no doubt, but that was then and this is now.

MS has more good exclusives in 2006/2007 than the XBOX had in it's entire lifetime so...

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
a Master Ninja said:
Halo 3 could outsell them worldwide, it is not out of the question.
The Halo hype is mostly centered in NA. Halo 2 only sold about 1.5 million copies in PAL-land. Rugrats: Search For Reptar sold more than Halo 2.

pswii60

Definitely many mistakes in that biased list above.

Media Molecule are second party.
Clap Hanz are not first party- they develop the Mario Golf games
Game Republic is not a second party as they are also working on a first party title for MS (if that still counts them as second party, then we need to add Epic, Bioware, Bizarre, etc etc to the list for MS)

Also, some of the studios in the list are now defunkt (we could list some defunkt MS first/second party developers from the last gen if you want) and others are working on PSN only games, PSP only games or IMO unnecessary (considering we have 2K and EA) sports titles. That shortens the list down quite a bit.

And besides, Shane Kim isn't referring to the amount of studios they own or work with, but the quality of the output. For that, we'll have to wait and see.

He Wants Chalupas said:
Which means that on average a Sony title sells 3.06 million while the average MS title does 3.61 million. Stop using this ****ing chart.
So by your rationale if MS had one title that sold 3.61M yet Sony had five titles that sold an average of 3.06M copies, then MS is somehow doing better than Sony?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Nameless said:
I was the first person last generation to give Sony the 1st party crown, but if you look at the performance of some of their games relative to the massive userbase, not many scream "system seller!!" GT yes, though, the lack of online play and untouched A.I. have somewhat hurt the series; and they've probably ascended God of War to that level. But where Nintendo's 1st party support was its selling point and its 3rd party support was a compliment to it's in-house line-up, Sony was the opposite. Most of the systems sellers were 3rd party games, while their 1st party line-up served as icing on the cake.

I agree with this post (except for the God of War comment. It is in no way near GT or Nintendo's upper tier titles).

Also, that huge list that dude made is missing a lot of games from MS's end. And some other inaccuracies..

Top Bottom