• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shane talks super paper mario

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ranger X said:
You DID doubt that? Heretic.

27 hours is pretty ****ing huge for a 2D Mario game. I think none of us expected that. And I'm so fricken happy for it. :D

ShockingAlberto said:
It's pretty obvious why they're doing it, they want to space out their game releases for the people that buy, like, one or two games a month.

It sucks for people who want it now.
And, unfortunately for us, why would they care that they don't have game releases when demand is overkilling their supply of systems right now? To a certain extent anyway.

Either way, this sounds really, really hot.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Yep, expect the same off-the-wall humor and hi jinks from PM2...I'm pretty sure the same writers/translators are back. I laughed out loud a lot while playing this game...it's especially brutal in its mockery of message board trolls.

:lol :lol :lol

Hype +1

Games have to be sent to the press and stuff before they're released; this is the kinda game that could be helped with a nice EGM review so unless the game was finished in November or something maybe they've only just been able to get the wheels rolling.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Krowley said:
Also, i'm guessing a length like that makes it one of the longest platformers of all time.
I dunno, I'd guess that SMW and SM64 took me at least that long the first time I played them.

Code_Link

Now this is the Mario game I've been waiting for. Not that borefest that was NSMB.

Intelligent Systems... wow, there are no words.

Roi

Wow, after reading this I have so much positive energie inside!

490b8267dcff1690d4c1fe2d979ca30b.gif

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Code_Link said:
Now this is the Mario game I've been waiting for. Not that borefest that was NSMB.

Yeah, but everyone told me NSMB was good too.

I suppose Shane giving it an 8.9 was better than some places. Not that i think it deserved that much.

Eh, it certainly played well...I think it jsut depends on taste. If you literally went in expecting a New Super Mario Bros (like, a new original NES Mario game) then it's amazing. If you went in expecting New Super Mario World...that's obviously just sets up for disappointment.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I don't want to turn this into a NSMB bitchfest when there's the awesome SPM to talk about, but I went in expecting a good Mario game. I didn't like the music, the level design (particularly as the game went on), the power ups were pathetic, the map looked like a mess, the challenge was too low and I'm not even a strong gamer...

Sounds good enough. Anyway between a couple of Wii releases, my really big DS backlog, and a bunch of Virtual Console games, I guess I will have enough gaming material to make the wait for this game seems shorter, even considering the possibility that the European release date is particularly delayed. Yay !

Eh. It certainly was a Mario game that was trying to recapture a new audience. I still enjoyed it, but I find myself enjoying Yoshi's Island DS TONS more.

Code_Link

BrandNew said:
Eh, it certainly played well...I think it jsut depends on taste.

I won't deny that the gameplay was there, but it felt like a nice, empty shell that didn't have enough heart inside. Super Paper Mario has more charm in the few screens I've seen, than NSMB as a whole game. I actually thought Yoshi DS was way better.

I guess the nice thing about NSMB was that anyone could fire it up and be like 'HEY! Awesome!'. They didn't really have to learn a slew of new moves, controls, and concepts to have a bit of fun with it. Even if they had never played a Mario game, the simple concept of running and jumping was about it.

My ex-girlfriend bought this and beat it, so did a lot of girls I know.

I had hoped the game would have stuck to a more traditional platforming formula. The inclusion of HP and all that jazz has turned me off from day one.

bycha

And some said that no games are coming for wii.

Now it would be nice if nintendo can produce enough so i can buy wii before summer.

Eteric Rice

Two of the best parts of the Thosuand Year Door...

1. The audience mechanic, where you can stop an audience member from hurting you. The first time I saw Mario run into the audience, and hit some poor sob with a mallet, I nearly pissed myself.

2. The crows in that darkish town. Man, I love those guys.

I can't wait for this game, seriously.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Eteric Rice said:
Two of the best parts of the Thosuand Year Door...

1. The audience mechanic, where you can stop an audience member from hurting you. The first time I saw Mario run into the audience, and hit some poor sob with a mallet, I nearly pissed myself.
yeah that was a really nice touch the battle system in PM2 is simple but man so fun :)

Neomoto

Ok thats it. Super Paper Mario officially crossed THE PURE AWESOME barrier and defines the very concept of all that makes gaming godly!

Honostly, this is one thing I DISLIKED about TTYD. I thought it was too gimicky–not enough interaction between the battle and the crowd (other than Hooktail and I think one other later battle, when were they truly involved?). Too vague about how to upgrade the crowd and what impact it would have–I don't know. Never really dug it.

But it was still my favorite Gamecube game.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
BrandNew said:
Honostly, this is one thing I DISLIKED about TTYD. I thought it was too gimicky–not enough interaction between the battle and the crowd (other than Hooktail and I think one other later battle, when were they truly involved?). Too vague about how to upgrade the crowd and what impact it would have–I don't know. Never really dug it.

But it was still my favorite Gamecube game.
I thought it was awesome works like this...

your audience will grow and shrink depending on how you battle. (Defeating enemies easily and doing action commands makes it grow; missing action commands or getting hit a lot makes it shrink) The number in the lower-right corner shows how many people are in your audience. Initially, there can be up to 50. The number of people the battle theater can seat increases by increments of 50 every 10 levels Mario gains. Anyway, the point of having a big audience is to get Star Power! The bigger your audience, the more Star Power you'll get for doing just about anything. Appealing and doing Stylish Moves (by hitting A at specific times during regular moves) boost it the most.

Pud

Banned
I'm pretty sure the same writers/translators are back. I laughed out loud a lot while playing this game...it's especially brutal in its mockery of message board trolls.

Please let Drinky be referenced... :lol

Ikael

Seeing how awesome, fun and complex this game looks makes me wonder one thing... why the f*ck didn't Nintendo Named it "Super Mario Bross Wii" or something along these lines? Because this is seriously the evolution from Super Mario World that I expected since I was a child, and I bet that it would sell gangbusters, New Super Mario Bross style.

sammy

---- this game means so much to me :*[

the Paper Mario universe is always gonna' be there to remind us of how whimsical, surreal, and random a platformer should be.

! APRIL MATH FOR CLOUDS !

Ikael said:
Seeing how awesome, fun and complex this game looks makes me wonder one thing... why the f*ck didn't Nintendo Named it "Super Mario Bross Wii" or something along these lines? Because this is seriously the evolution from Super Mario World that I expected since I was a child, and I bet that it would sell gangbusters, New Super Mario Bross style.

i also wondered this, since it was announced ----- i worry many many ppl may pass this one up, in fear that it's finishing up a "trillogy"

Oblivion

Kafel said:

Huh?

Seems SPM has the environments done properly like Mario games should, I just hope they don't disappoint with the powerups like NSMB.

Ikael said:

How is it evolving from Super Mario World? From the small gameplay we've seen it plays nothing like it.

You know, when it was first announced, I think I remember the Japanese press kit download had the file named "Paper Mario Bros", which I think is a better title, just because it's got the same syllable count as the original. Nothing was ever mentioned with that title online though, I don't think.

Oblivion

TheGreatDave said:
How is it evolving from Super Mario World? From the small gameplay we've seen it plays nothing like it.

You know, when it was first announced, I think I remember the Japanese press kit download had the file named "Paper Mario Bros", which I think is a better title, just because it's got the same syllable count as the original. Nothing was ever mentioned with that title online though, I don't think.

Maybe he's talking about the style, which I would say is similar to SMW, moreso than NSMB was. Though, Mario looks a bit too cutesy imo.

Jiggy

27 hours is great news. Even 20 hours would be.
This, however...
Great question...it never feels exactly like a traditional Mario game, simply because you don't have to hold down 'B' to run...but the overall control feels pretty close, and the platforming gets more intense as the game progresses.
...concerns me a bit.

On the other other hand, I have to admit...
To everyone asking for a review score or for the total number of playable characters...

Sorry, you'll have to wait until the game's release/reviews to hear about that stuff.
...If there are more than three playable characters, that's just an instant sell even if the mechanics were merely average.

Firestorm

Also, I expect this game to look absolutely awesome graphically. The cutscenes in WarioWare: Smooth Moves were beautifully crisp due to their non-polygonal nature. This should be like that =)

Oblivion

Jiggy37 said:
This, however...
...concerns me a bit.

Oh, shit. Didn't see that bit. Hurt some of the joy I felt today. :/

Akai

Oblivion said:
Oh, shit. Didn't see that bit. Hurt some of the joy I felt today. :/
Come on, this is where you people need to realize that this is Paper Mario expanding on platforming, not Super Mario Brothers with the Paper Mario filter...

Error2k4 said:
I thought it was awesome works like this...

your audience will grow and shrink depending on how you battle. (Defeating enemies easily and doing action commands makes it grow; missing action commands or getting hit a lot makes it shrink) The number in the lower-right corner shows how many people are in your audience. Initially, there can be up to 50. The number of people the battle theater can seat increases by increments of 50 every 10 levels Mario gains. Anyway, the point of having a big audience is to get Star Power! The bigger your audience, the more Star Power you'll get for doing just about anything. Appealing and doing Stylish Moves (by hitting A at specific times during regular moves) boost it the most.

I know what the purpose was, I just thought it was executed pretty poorly. Stylish moves were cool though, I'll admit that.

Joe Molotov

Jiggy37 said:
This, however...
...concerns me a bit.

If the worst complaint he can come up with is that you don't have to push B to run, I think it should turn out okay.

Brak

If I could only play IntSys games I don't think I would complain very much. :)

Wiis should be available by April right? ....right?

Top Bottom