• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shane talks super paper mario

Jiggy

Joe Molotov said:
If the worst complaint he can come up with is that you don't have to push B to run, I think it should turn out okay.
Well, that's what he's coming with. I'm not worried about that--not having to hold a run button worked just fine for Yoshi's Island (1) and Super Princess Peach. I'm just worried about the jumping mechanics and the feel of weight and so on.

...But now that I think about it, I guess I can be optimistic based on history. SMB1 doesn't feel much like SMB2, which doesn't feel much like SMB3/SMW, which doesn't feel much like NSMB, but they all turned out good. Actually, maybe there isn't such a thing as "a Mario feel"... SMB3 and SMW are the only two that really played alike anyway.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Jiggy37 said:
Well, that's what he's coming with. I'm not worried about that--not having to hold a run button worked just fine for Yoshi's Island (1) and Super Princess Peach. I'm just worried about the jumping mechanics and the feel of weight and so on.

...But now that I think about it, I guess I can be optimistic based on history. SMB1 doesn't feel much like SMB2, which doesn't feel much like SMB3/SMW, which doesn't feel much like NSMB, but they all turned out good. Actually, maybe there isn't such a thing as "a Mario feel"... SMB3 and SMW are the only two that really played alike anyway.

Bloody hell.

Here's the deal, and people must read this before getting upset:

SUPER PAPER MARIO IS NOT A MARIO PLATFORM GAME. IT'S A MARIO RPG WHICH USES A PLATFORM MECHANIC.

Don't compare it to the Mario platformers. It isn't one.

Of course, if it's a shit RPG, then you can start moaning.

Nicktals

Banned
"ommanderdeek asks, "What are the bosses like? Challenging? Creative?"

Yes and oh hell YES. In fact, one of the boss encounters is so unfathomably creative that it might set the internets ablaze for eons to come."

freakin' sweet.

ant1532

Banned
Nicktals said:
"ommanderdeek asks, "What are the bosses like? Challenging? Creative?"

Yes and oh hell YES. In fact, one of the boss encounters is so unfathomably creative that it might set the internets ablaze for eons to come."

freakin' sweet.
[carl voice from ATHF] THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT [/carl voice from ATHF]

Have you seen the videos? Mario is a lot lighter than he is in SMB or SMW, it doesn't look like it'll have the same heavy feel you'd expect from a Mario game. But seeing as this is based on exploring as much as running through levels, that's probably not going to be a problem. Don't expect Mario 7 and you'll be fine.

ethelred

I can't decide whether I'm more excited by Super Paper Mario or Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn. God, I love Intelligent Systems. Best damned team at Nintendo.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
The very nature of this game eliminates the one major flaw in Paper Mario 2: backtracking.

So ****ing hyped for this!

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I wish I hadn't traded in Paper Mario: TTYD. Much as I liked it, I didn't think I'd want to play through it again as it's an RPG. Now I do though, if only to hear some of the music.

I'll have to try and find it cheap.

Super Paper Mario sounds awesome.

It almost makes me want to go back and finish my half complete game of Paper Mario:TTYD, but then I think about how lost I'd be picking it up now and that I stopped playing for a reason in the first place...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Burai said:
Bloody hell.

SUPER PAPER MARIO IS NOT A MARIO PLATFORM GAME. IT'S A MARIO RPG WHICH USES A PLATFORM MECHANIC.

I guess Nintendo was wrong, you obviously know more than them. It's not a Platformer with RPG elements but a RPG with a platformer mechanic.

ethelred said:
I can't decide whether I'm more excited by Super Paper Mario or Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn. God, I love Intelligent Systems. Best damned team at Nintendo.

IS is pretty much the most consistently good developer I can think of.

Krowley

dr3upmushroom said:
Nintendo made Shane take off the Q&A...

sometimes i don't understand the ultra secrecy from nintendo... This little Q&A was helping generate a little hype.. It was all positive and i can't see that it really hurts anything.

Also to the dude above that's saying it's mostly an RPG and that we shouldn't expect a platformer... That's not the impression i get... I get the feeling that's it's about 80 percent platformer and about 20 percent RPG... If that's the case, then the platforming will need to be very very sweet, obviously.

Jiggy

Burai said:
Bloody hell.

I actually hope you're right, seeing as I like RPGs better than platformers, and think there's less potential for things to go wrong with them, but the videos so far don't seem to be in your favor.

dkeane

Krowley said:
sometimes i don't understand the ultra secrecy from nintendo... This little Q&A was helping generate a little hype.. It was all positive and i can't see that it really hurts anything.
It's not that Nintendo doesn't want the hype, but they will probably have all the big sites unleashing info at the same time. Yes it's lame but it's the way things work.

Top Bottom