• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse |OT| An Eye-Popping 3D Bouncyvania (3DS/Wii U)

lt519

Just grabbed this last night (took me 4 hours to download haha). Finished the intro and the first island and am loving it. I've been playing too many games that take themselves to seriously for a while and this is a completely breath of fresh air. PETRIFY!

Pehesse

Finished, clocking in at 6:31 with 100% of items. Loved the whole thing, the only part that dragged on a bit was the
desert temple you're supposed to escape from
, since I spent a while trying to uncover the whole map there. That part in the top-right was sneaky!

The series always had some lighthearted cartoon horror element, but here,
Spiderweb Island and last tower especially
wouldn't feel out of place in a Castlevania for me! It's been said before, but I'd love to see a Wayforward take on that series, even though the tone is different from their usual stuff.

The level design for the temples was pretty good, open ended enough to feel somewhat free but still with enough guidance so as not to get completely lost like in Shantae 1. The map helps, too, though I'm not sure if it's still unprecise by design or because the system isn't fleshed out. I wonder how much it'd hurt the game to have a metroid-like element, like a circle, added on a map square when you've discovered an upgrade, but can't get to it yet. Or just let us add custom markers on the map, or something. You can't even really tell if some of the white borders are actually passable or not - that helps hide some things, sure, but most of the time you've seen that there's an exit already, so I can't think of a reason why marking that would hurt the experience. Small nitpick, sure, but small nitpicks is all I have here :-D

The mechanic highlight of the game were definitely the bosses, though. I had a spot of trouble on the
Abandoned Factory
one, as I could've sworn
I tried hitting the three buttons with the cannon, but it appears I only repeatedly hit the same two so I never saw the light turn green before quite a while into the fight.
Still, liked the design of each of them,
Dargon
being probably my favorite, along with the last one. Those patterns felt genuinely threatening and satisfying to overcome, and made good use of the upgrade items. And
dealing 999 damage
never hurts either.

As for the music, great as always, though clearly veering more towards Mighty Switch Force - not that it's a bad thing. My personal favorite: http://virt.bandcamp.com/track/rave-in-the-grave-zombie-island closely followed by http://virt.bandcamp.com/track/darkest-night-village-of-lost-souls. Absolutely loved the
throwback to the night theme of Shantae 1 on the last segment of the game
, too :-D

I've also found plenty of passages that screamed "this is for speedrunning" so I'll probably try my hand at that at some point!
Though I wonder how much of that is possible only in Pirate Mode where you have every mobility upgrade from the start
? It can still save some time when wrapping up for 100% I guess, but it'd be less useful at the end of the game. Also, pirate flares for time saving!

Finally... the kick upgrade. What was the point? For the cost, it does marginally better raw damage than the whip hair, and considerably less overall considering the wind-up time (and it's the only animation in the game that I found off and a bit stiff - all of the others don't have any windup, only recovery, so maybe that's part of it?). And the range is terrible, too! I thought it'd be used on a special element somewhere, but.. didn't find anything like it. Even for speedrunning, due to the cost, I fail to see how hair whipping wouldn't always be a preferable solution. Anyone knows any use for that one?

After some play time with Bayonetta 2 tonight, I plan on purchasing this from the E shop. I can't wait to see Way Forward's terrific pixel art and animations in 3D.

Ferrio

Banned
I'll pick it up later next month before my flight to mexico. Should be able to finish it during the airtravel alone.

By looking at the miiverse community, it seems that the game sold well even with that price, i guess the thirst was real for a metroidvania

I hope pirates curse comes to pc too like risky's revenge and 1/2 genie hero

Wayforward seems to be busy with quite a few projects already.
Also. It took a year for them to port RR to IOS and about more than 3 years for a Steam release.
You might need to wait awhile...

I'm on the second island now (not counting Scuttle Town) and I can safely say that I will probably have gotten my money's worth out of this. It already feels like the biggest game WayForward has made and, if I dare say, it feels like this is the game that they probably wanted to make with Risky's Revenge (which I surmise was something of a learning experience for them as one of their first in-house, self-funded indie projects).

And if their claims of designing things for speed running and sequence breaking are legit, I couldn't see how any fan of the genre would want to pass it up.

My only (very minor) niggle so far is that your bottom screen shifts to the Key Item screen every time you pick up a new item, if I'm on the map or inventory screen, I'd probably like to stay there.

Blues1990

Bit of an off-topic question, but does anybody know if Makoto Yabe has a gallery or portfolio website? I was impressed with the work he has done on Azure Striker Gunvolt & Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, and I would love to see what else the artist has done.

SerTapTap

The last smash direct and even Bayonetta 2's release don't really help.
The game is really getting overshadowed.

Just going by their twitter account they seem pretty upbeat about it. Have no problem dropping $20 on it myself, but will definitely be waiting for the Wii U version.

That looks... really good, actually.

Also, Virt? I love that guy. Best music.

Wayforward pretty much always gets amazing music for their own games.

I just beat the second dungeon, it was actually fairly large in comparison to the first one and the boss fight was quite good.

Also, Rottytops is the best.

Psxphile

Finally put some good time in. Only just finished the second island. Couldn't figure out how to get some of the chests and Heart Squids that were under the ground, most didn't seem to have a path or anything that lead to them... including that one squid inside the wall in the dungeon. Either there's a tool or technique that'll allow me to grab those later... or I'm getting real bad at sussing out hidden passageways.

Also wasn't aware that you could head left from Scuttle Town and find the mayor. Apparently he gives you gems when you bring him enemy drops like Flesh Pops... hopefully I didn't miss out on anything good.

I just finished it 100%. It took me about 9 hours, some of those cacklebats took me a long time to find. I found the game to be more enjoyable than Risky's revenge. Not too much because of the gameplay itself I think that it was mostly due to the increase in difficulty.

I'm absolutely loving this game! I've played about 2 hours so far
(just got done running Rottytops to her house)
and it's everything that I'd hoped it would be. It also just seems and feels so much more like the original GBC game than Risky's Revenge did, and to me, that's awesome; it's exactly what I wanted.

And I can't believe how amazing the sprite work is! The detail on the characters is stunning, they have so much personality for such small sprites. The music is, not surprisingly, wonderful, and the voice acting is great too. I think that Shantae's voice really suits her, and it works out well in actual gameplay. The game also seems harder initially than I remember Risky's Revenge being with some tricky platforming, and I definitely had a bit of trouble with the first boss.

I'm nowhere near done with it yet obviously, but so far, I'm totally happy with it, worth $20 easy. And now I'm looking forward to Half-Genie Hero even more! Can't wait to see what they do with the series next.

Psxphile

Possibly Game-breaking bug discovered.

Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse 3DS North American release, Issue reported in version 00.01, released on 10.23.14

***Players have reported a way to enter the 2nd Labyrinth (Cackle Tower) by using a “story item” as a “door key”. If the game is saved afterwards, this will block progress.

• Steps to reproduce:
-Collect the item called the “Travel Brochure”.

-A character standing next to Sequin Land Palace will be waiting to take it. Rather than giving it to this character, keep it and advance to the next Island.

-When passing the 2nd Labyrinth entrance, use the Travel Brochure as a “key” item on the door. This is done by pressing up while standing in front of the door. This will remove the item and allow entrance, although the door will not appear to open.

-Saving at this point causes the player to not have the Travel Brochure item, which is required to advance the game’s story.

• Steps to Fix:
-if the Travel Brochure is still in your inventory, do not use it to open the 2nd Labyrinth door. The game will progress normally. The “Travel Brochure” should be given to the character back at Sequin Land Palace.

–If you have encountered this issue, do not save your game. Please quit out, and reload your previous save to progress without issue.

Our most sincere apologies! Our team has already duplicated the issue and repaired it. We will have an update submitted as soon as the fix is verified. The future update will not impact any games that are already in progress.

how's the 3d for this?
Is it multiple parallax layers with depth ala shovel knight?
The 3D in this game looks great, from what I've seen. Miiverse is great for checking out 3D pictures of 3DS games, it's one of the main reasons I use it for. Not everyone plays in 3D but it's easy to find someone who does and check their pictures.

This is seriously what is wrong with gaming today, it's not some IOS dollar game you're paying for here. The original GBC game was like $30.
I would gladly pay a premium for a physical version, but given some of the inherent limitations of digital gaming I'm reluctant to drop $20, especially when there are two versions coming out and no cross buy promotion of any sort. Not to mention Risky's Revenge felt a bit half baked.

Roo

This is seriously what is wrong with gaming today, it's not some IOS dollar game you're paying for here. The original GBC game was like $30.

I don't know. I never tried any of the previous games and that's why I said it looks interesting. As a gamer I can see its gameplay strenghts but as a potential buyer I find it too pricey for what it is. A 2D game with an artstyle every single indie developer seem to be stuck on. 3DS and Wii U are literally the same except for HD HUD and portraits.

One of the villagers gives a pretty direct clue about the number of endings, although that was probably safe to assume given Risky's Revenge (and the Metroid influence).

There are four, based on combinations of time completed and item collection.

If the different endings are pinup portraits again, I hope they get saved to a gallery or something.

A 2D game with an artstyle every single indie developer seem to be stuck on.
Strange reasoning. I tend to buy games based on gameplay and content, not whether they are 2D or 3D.

lt519

About 70% complete and loving it. The third wall breaking dialogue can be extremely funny and the platforming/combat is satisfying. It is a bit on the easy side, haven't died yet, but it's starting to ramp up in the bog.

I'll probably clock 100% around 7-8 hours, but you can feel that the game was built for speed-running and replays. I'll definitely be playing again in the future and will have to go back and buy Risky's Revenge since I never played that.

I'm with the user above me, Risky seems too eager to help. I'm preparing myself for a betrayal, albeit hilariously scripted.

I backed the Kickstarter for "Half Genie Hero", but I've never played a Shantae game. I will be getting this in the future, but first I want to beat "Risky's Revenge", which I bought earlier today.

Looking forward to getting to know these characters and story!

Bladenic

I played halfway through Shantae and RR but didn't finish either. So I don't know if I should get this right away, but I did back the KS game.

They're made available as alternate title screens.
Nice. Thanks for the tip.

I backed the Kickstarter for "Half Genie Hero", but I've never played a Shantae game. I will be getting this in the future, but first I want to beat "Risky's Revenge", which I bought earlier today.

Looking forward to getting to know these characters and story!
I believe most of the backstory is actually in the first game (which is also on 3DS through Virtual Console).

In that regard, starting at Pirate's Curse is about the nearly same as starting at Risky's Revenge in terms of characters/lore.

The only real take-away from Risky's Revenge is
Shantae losing her genie powers

But Risky's Revenge is pretty short, so by all means play through it.

Leynos

I would gladly pay a premium for a physical version, but given some of the inherent limitations of digital gaming I'm reluctant to drop $20, especially when there are two versions coming out and no cross buy promotion of any sort.

My feelings exactly. I'd gladly pay $40 for a physical release that I can actually own, but seeing as how it's digital-only riddled with DRM, I will not pay more than $10 for a glorified rental.

I was just going to ask this thread for help, because I was seriously stumped, and I had just spent an hour running around talking to everyone I could, and doing everything I could... but I don't need help anymore, because that bug report explains everything!

I didn't give the travel brochure to the character at the palace, I went straight on to the next island. Ran past the 2nd Labyrinth, but pressed the button on the door out of curiosity, it used the Travel Brochure and it let me in, but I ran back out and finished the current quest. Then I found a certain character,
(Poe)
who warped me to the other side of the level and told me to find Squid Oil. At that point, I ran around for an hour thinking that I was just missing something obvious (I always do that in games), and I saved my game multiple times. But after a little while, I started to have suspicions about that Travel Brochure because why would they let you in that dungeon
with Rottytops in your arms
, and why would a Travel Brochure open a dungeon in the first place? Well, I'm glad that I started to suspect that my game was bugged, guess my game design senses were correct after all.

I'm not exactly looking forward to starting my game over, but at least I was only a couple hours in. I'm really surprised that WayForward just missed this bug entirely. It was so easy to just keep the Travel Brochure with you and leave to go to the next island, and no one even noticed that the brochure was set as a Key? Pretty disappointing. Oh well, so much for my total glowing praise for the game, but I'm not really upset or anything. Time to start a new game I guess.

Roo

One of the villagers gives a pretty direct clue about the number of endings, although that was probably safe to assume given Risky's Revenge (and the Metroid influence).

There are four, based on combinations of time completed and item collection.

If the different endings are pinup portraits again, I hope they get saved to a gallery or something.

Strange reasoning. I tend to buy games based on gameplay and content, not whether they are 2D or 3D.

I look at the whole package and like I said, with every indie game looking the same, I find it hard to justify its $20 price tag. Maybe because of the IP itself? dunno.
I'll probably get it if they drop the price a little.

lt519

I look at the whole package and like I said, with every indie game looking the same, I find it hard to justify its $20 price tag. Maybe because of the IP itself? dunno.
I'll probably get it if they drop the price a little.

If you like metroidvania stlye games and enjoy a well written script you'll enjoy it. The story is basic but the dialog and character interactions are fantastic. It's got that goofy Paper Mario sense of humor mixed with some funny self deprecating humor (making fun of video game tropes) and a bit of adult humor.

Right now for indie metroidvania's I'd put it up at the top, but just under Guacamelee. Definitely better than games like Strider and Dust. Guacamelee had much better combat and platforming but Shantae's has much more charm. For fighting, Shantae plays more like a poor mans iga-vania while Guacamelee was more of an arena brawler. I wouldn't even really put it in a category with games like Shovel Knight since the mood and exploration are pretty different.

If you have the money I'd say just splurge and grab it. It'll have some good replay value with ng+ and speed-running if that's your thing, but it's essentially a $2/hr game.

Edit: To be clear it pales in comparison to the DS trilogy of Castlevania games for gameplay but I enjoy the lighthearted and funny story much more. If you hold it to the iga-vania standards for gameplay you'll probably be disappointed.

lt519

Never played a Shantae before, is it needed to get the story in this one?

I hadn't played a Shantae before. There's some references to past events they make and a clear back story with the characters that I imagine would make it better but the plot is so basic it doesn't matter. Come for the dialogue not the story. From what others have said in this thread most of the story comes from the GBA games if you want to go back and play those first I think they are available on VC.

I'm in EU, should I buy Risky's Revenge so I can play this one before Pirate's Curse is out here?
I don't know since 19.99€ could be ok for a new game for me but Risky's Revenge is still 11.99€ :/

Is there some kind of sale in US on previous Shantae games? Maybe I should just wait and buy both... dilemma :(

Chû Totoro;135987163 said:
I'm in EU, should I buy Risky's Revenge so I can play this one before Pirate's Curse is out here?
I don't know since 19.99€ could be ok for a new game for me but Risky's Revenge is still 11.99€ :/

Is there some kind of sale in US on previous Shantae games? Maybe I should just wait and buy both... dilemma :(
Do you have access to either Steam or iOS? Risky's Revenge is available on those platforms too and is cheaper there as well (at least here in the US it is). And at the moment, no, there isn't any sale in the US for any Shantae games on the the Nintendo eShop.

If you haven't played it yet, you could try getting the original Shantae for the GBC on the eShop if you'd just like to try a game in the series. It's only €4.99, and it's a better game overall in my opinion than Risky's Revenge.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can understand that.

I think it's worth $20. I see it like a old GBA or retail DS/3DS games. I would've certainly bought it for $29.99 or even $39.99 if it was retail.

But as a download, I can see how it can feel expensive.
The issue is that it's a download on a Nintendo platform. It's the worst possible DRM situation. You're basically paying $20 to rent the game for as long as you want.

It's a shame they haven't put together a Shantae Collection retail cart for the 3DS. I would buy that in a second.

I'll probably pick this up at some point but $20 is too much for anything on Nintendo's digital service even though I'd happily pay $40 or possibly more at retail.

Do you have access to either Steam or iOS? Risky's Revenge is available on those platforms too and is cheaper there as well (at least here in the US it is). And at the moment, no, there isn't any sale in the US for any Shantae games on the the Nintendo eShop.

If you haven't played it yet, you could try getting the original Shantae for the GBC on the eShop if you'd just like to try a game in the series. It's only €4.99, and it's a better game overall in my opinion than Risky's Revenge.

I'll go for the GBA version then. I hope it won't "fell" strange since it's kind of old now but great games stay great forever :)

Bought !

Chû Totoro;135996505 said:
I'll go for the GBA version then. I hope it won't "fell" strange since it's kind of old now but great games stay great forever :)

Bought !
I adore the GBC Shantae, but you don't have to just take my word for it! Read/Watch some reviews of it, or watch a part of a let's play (if available) to see if it appeals to you as much as Risky's Revenge. RR is a good game too, it's just that to me, the GBC Shantae is a better overall experience in terms of game length, variety, and polish.

Top Bottom