• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse |OT| An Eye-Popping 3D Bouncyvania (3DS/Wii U)

Was there any kind of reward for completing the game with 2 hearts? I managed to do that but.....nothing. Was I supposed to not collect the heart squids?

Beat the game over the weekend with all the Cacklebats and 28 squids. Total time at the end of the game had me at 8h 19m.

Overall, it's a big improvement over the previous Shantae games, but I feel like it still lacks something that makes it really stand out. It's a solid game, with good art, music, and controls, but I find it rather forgettable, and I can't really see myself playing it a couple of years down the road.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Man when is the Wii U version coming out? Wii U has ruined 3DS for me. It just looks so dim now. I hope the New 3DS is brighter.

Videoneon

It's been fun so far. My only minor gripe is that Shantae's sprite here looks a little too retro and this doesn't fit with the level of detail of the environments. But I'm already familiar with the first Shantae game (did three of the fourelemental dungeons) so I'm at home with the experience. Nice music.

Psxphile

Was there any kind of reward for completing the game with 2 hearts? I managed to do that but.....nothing. Was I supposed to not collect the heart squids?

That's... quite the accomplishment, considering how much health some of the enemies drain on a single hit in later stages. I guess no one at WayForward considered that anyone would or could beat the game that way.

The Squidsmith in Scuttle Town can turn 4 Heart Squids into a new Heart for your Life Gauge.

I just did this.

If you've already spoken to Rottytops and her brother at their home, then you should be able to return the soul. Maybe you need to have the "new recruits" return as well? Did you get the sword from Tan Island and returned it to Bran-son already? Though I'm pretty sure I restored Joe first before giving back the sword.

Game might just have some very stringent flags that you need to trigger.
I'm actually embarrassed by this one.

After revisiting EVERY island and character.. twice (not counting dungeons, thankfully, and well.. the below spoiler), someone replied to a tweet of mine.

The door right in front of Ammo Baron, who I had talked to sixty times during all this? Yeah, I never went in there.

Bulk_Rate

How tough is this game?

I'm thinking of getting it for my eight-year old. She has completed NSMB2 and Kirby Triple Deluxe (on her second or third playthrough of the latter). She likes the art style of Shantae and is asking for the game.

How tough is this game?

I'm thinking of getting it for my eight-year old. She has completed NSMB2 and Kirby Triple Deluxe (on her second or third playthrough of the latter). She likes the art style of Shantae and is asking for the game.
I think she'll be okay if she has had played those games.

I wouldn't consider it very difficult, especially with how many healing items enemies drop.

eojoko

Halfway through the third island. I've played a good amount of the first game and a little of the second one — the dialogue in Pirate's Curse is better than ever! Having a lot of fun with this game.

I am at the end myself, I'm going to wrap it up here in a little bit and try to get 100% as well.

It's just on another level compared to the previous Shantae games and it's making me feel really good about backing Half-Genie Hero.

Yuterald

I am at the end myself, I'm going to wrap it up here in a little bit and try to get 100% as well.

It's just on another level compared to the previous Shantae games and it's making me feel really good about backing Half-Genie Hero.

Aw man, I'm pretty excited to pick this up once it drops on the U. I finished the original Shantae (VC version) last week for the first time and I'm in the middle of Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut right now on PC. Will probably clear tonight. I could download the 3DS version now, but I much prefer playing stuff on a TV whenever the option is given.

K-A-Deman

So for people speed running in Pirate mode, does anyone else use
Spare keys in the bonus dungeon on spittle island?
Thanks to that and a spare one, you can
Take care of the desert palace after just the first part.
Pretty handy.

eojoko

Alright, just beat it 100% tonight. What a fun game! Sequin Land made in a big impression on me. I'd like to see more games set there. Maybe even some spinoffs.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Thanks guys, I'll try to get them too.

Playing the gbc game currently and it's really dated in a few areas. The world involves a LOT of backtracking through somewhat lengthy gauntlets of enemies that take far too many irritating hits to down(especially at night). Your move list is meager for handling the sheer numbers and the purchase able/found upgrades are not very helpful either. Dungeons are creative and well devised though, and the quirky cast is cute in a way. Just be prepared for a slog with a few bright moments.

I hear both sequels are major improvements.

K-A-Deman

Just finished my first Pirate Mode speed run at a little under 2 hours and 50 minutes. Got all the squids and Bats, and I've streamlined the actual exploration process by quite a bit. Some tips (spoilers for speed run purposes).

Collect every squid and cackle bat on the first visit to an island. Not really wowing I know, but You'd be surprised how fast things go when you're grabbing them as you go.

On Saliva Island, two tips. 1; proceed with the ring collection and placement as normal, but when you go to the springs to get the ham stink, use the cannon to jump straight up (grab the cacklebat to the left while you're at it. You can take this route all the way up to the Giga Lumoinx and bypass all the crap with the frogs and the Barracudas. Next, In the dungeon proper, use the boots at the opening area to access the throwback dungeon and grab the first two keys. then either fall into a pit, or backtrack if you're trying for no damage (I wish you good luck...) and complete the dungeon as normal.

On Spider Island, be sure to grab the fossil for later use on your first walk-through (I forgot it until I was halfway through Tan Line). In the Tower, collect the first key to the right at the bottom then use the Cannon to climb up the tall room. The only side tracking needed is for Squids.

Tan Line is why you want to get surplus keys; so you can breeze through the stealth section after the first part (you do get a key from that, so you only need two.

At the moment, that's all I've got cemented down, but I do have a last minute tip that's making rounds on Miiverse, here. (END GAME SPOILERS/SEQUENCE BREAKING IN THE LINK)

Dylstew

Neo Member
Playing the gbc game currently and it's really dated in a few areas. The world involves a LOT of backtracking through somewhat lengthy gauntlets of enemies that take far too many irritating hits to down(especially at night). Your move list is meager for handling the sheer numbers and the purchase able/found upgrades are not very helpful either. Dungeons are creative and well devised though, and the quirky cast is cute in a way. Just be prepared for a slog with a few bright moments.

I hear both sequels are major improvements.

I'm playing the first aswell (On an emulator), and I totally agree with you. It really feels dated in quite a few ways. I have Risky's Revenge on Steam so I'll be playing that soon, but too bad I can't play Pirates Curse yet, since it isn't released in EU yet.

Psxphile

B5QBDGOCcAAQV8B.jpg:medium

Should be noted that the Wii U version of Pirate's Curse is (finally) set to be available on the NA eShop Christmas Day, December 25th. As for the EU, so far all they can say is that it (3DS and WiiU) should be available sometime in late Jan./early Feb due to unforeseen delays. Source: WayForward twitter

Dice

Played to the 3rd island and it's really fun and charming. However so far my main impression is this: Dat Sky Theme

I was seriously like "oh shit hold on" and just grooved out like mmmnnnngggg for like 3-4 minutes then continued going through the conversation text.

Dice

I haven't played on my monitor because I think that would stretch it too far, but it looks great on the gamepad.

Billy Lee

Wicked! I've been waiting for this ever since I played it at Eurogamer. Same for Azure Striker: Gunvolt which I have no idea of when it is coming out here.

Top Bottom