• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse |OT| An Eye-Popping 3D Bouncyvania (3DS/Wii U)

lt519

Can't find the last squid in the frostbite dungeon. Can anyone help?

nvm, it was by the boss room right out in the open, bad memory. That's everything just need to do the final island now.

Just finished 100% in 9:33, a bit of idle time on there though. The end credits had a cool 3D effect, first game I've seen have them roll like that. Fantastic game; that last level was some intense platforming, wish there was more of that.

I beat the game yesterday. Total time it took me to beat the game 100% 13h40m. Would of been closer to 10h but I got stuck at a part of the game because I was being blind. Loved the game though. Worth every dime imo.

Can't find the last squid in the frostbite dungeon. Can anyone help?

Have you gotten the one at the top of the very top of the dungeon map?
Or the one that is right before the boss?
Or the one that is at the bottom of the room to the right of the first save point in dungeon?
Just a tip to people who don't know. Each dungeon in the game only has 3 heart squids in them.

I'll definitely pick this up, but I may try to finish the GBC Shantae first on VC. Risky's Revenge was one of the first DSi games I got and it was great.

I was a little surprised at the $20 price, as it's a little unusual for an eShop only game (would have guessed 12-15), but I guess this is more like an eshop-exclusive release of a game that could have been retail if it were backed by a publisher to fund the initial printing of carts.

3DS eshop is able to have sales so those who are the fence about the $20 should keep their eyes peeled for a sale next year, I guess. I don't want to wait that long though :)

Yuterald

This looks mad cool, but I've yet to finish a single Shantae game and I've got 'em all downloaded, ha! Got to the middle of the original and dropped it. Gotta get back into these games lol!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I beat the game yesterday. Total time it took me to beat the game 100% 13h40m. Would of been closer to 10h but I got stuck at a part of the game because I was being blind. Loved the game though. Worth every dime imo.

Does beating it unlock a hard mode?

Does beating it unlock a hard mode?

It unlocks something called "Pirate Mode". I'm not too sure what this entails though. Giving the game a break so that I can go play some Bayonetta 2.

EDIT:
It would seem that Pirate Mode is... I guess I would call it speed runner mode. It gives you all the pirate items right at the start of the game. For speed running I guess.

Heads up: Jake Kaufman (virt) is about to stream the entire soundtrack live on Twitch, and once the stream's over it'll be available on Bandcamp as a pay-what-you-want download:

http://www.twitch.tv/virtjk

Here a link to the OST site
http://virt.bandcamp.com/album/shantae-and-the-pirates-curse-ost
Jake made another great Soundtrack

That Bran-son theme
VtyEtf4l.jpg

Thorakai

I just wanted to say I find it hilarious that the OT is basically split up into multiple posts in no order on the first page. I know it isn't on purpose but just scrolling through makes me laugh. I'll probably pick this up sometime down the road as Smash and school has taken up all my time.

Love the character themes. Sky, Rotty and Risky's themes are all great.

Haven't played the game yet, but I love Virt's music. Just randomly checked out Royal Library and HOLY SHIT!!! Need to hurry and play the older games so I can MAX this shit out on my sound-bar when the Wii U version drops.

Makes me wonder how many of you are waiting for the Wii-U version.
And how many will double dip.
Lets hope the Wii-U version and a European and Australia release will give this thread some more life.

Psxphile

I just wanted to say I find it hilarious that the OT is basically split up into multiple posts in no order on the first page. I know it isn't on purpose but just scrolling through makes me laugh.

I just find it deplorable. Still waiting on PixyJunket to do the right thing.

If only I had realized sooner that no one claimed the OT...

kiryogi

Banned
I find it more depressingly hilarious that discussion on the negative sexual appeal of Shantae has more posts than this topic D:

Psxphile

Being released during Hype Week™ probably didn't do it any favors either.

That other thread was locked, though. I can probably guess why.

Played a bit more. I'm happy for the on-screen counters that tell you how many Heart Squids and Reaper Bats to expect to be hidden in each area and how many you've collected. Only just completed the 'Princess' section of Tan Island. Mildly bemused by the whole thing. I liked the stealth portion of Metroid Zero Mission and this was no different, albeit short.

Psxphile

I got 100% and missed it. Where is it?

I know that it exists, but haven't got far enough to find it yet. Apparently,
you need the running ability? You ever wonder about those blocks in the corners of some rooms in the dungeons? They look like the breakable kind but aren't destroyed by your hair whip?
Yeah.

As soon as I'm done with Fire Emblem I'm buying this. Nintendo removed the transfer limit on 3DS a while ago right?

Also, this soundtrack is amazing.

bart64

Banned
Dudes, I've been stuck getting the squid oil for over an hour, and from what I read on wayforward forums it may be a glitch. The squid guys is saying "I bet a travel agent would know of vacation spots" but the agent is saying "I am such an incredible salesman." I gave the agent the travel brochure from the sewer, and it's looking like I needed to give it to the squid first.

Seems so glaring that it has to be a minor brain malfunction on my part. I admit to skipping over most of the text, but in my defense, its completely inane. I'm going insane, starting to thing the travel agent killed my game just to mess with me, or is this wayforward's way of saying I need a vacation?

Was I supposed to solve the left side of the tower puzzle already? It seems impossible to go left there without a better jump ability. Great game, just a complete package with a style of its own, but a three hour rerun after an hour of frustration is too much for me.

colinp

Banned
Dudes, I've been stuck getting the squid oil for over an hour, and from what I read on wayforward forums it may be a glitch. The squid guys is saying "I bet a travel agent would know of vacation spots" but the agent is saying "I am such an incredible salesman." I gave the agent the travel brochure from the sewer, and it's looking like I needed to give it to the squid first.

Seems so glaring that it has to be a minor brain malfunction on my part. I admit to skipping over most of the text, but in my defense, its completely inane. I'm going insane, starting to thing the travel agent killed my game just to mess with me, or is this wayforward's way of saying I need a vacation?

Was I supposed to solve the left side of the tower puzzle already? It seems impossible to go left there without a better jump ability. Great game, just a complete package with a style of its own, but a three hour rerun after an hour of frustration is too much for me.

I gave it to the salesman first and he said something to the effect of "see! I'm such a good salesman! You can keep the brochure." And refused to take it from me, thus allowing me to give it to the squid. Sounds like maybe yours glitched?

Frustrating if so, but that's not really that far into the game and it's worth playing again ;), take a day off and jump back in!

Wait, you ran into a different glitch with the travel brochure? It wasn't this one that Psxphile posted?:
If there's 2 glitches involving the travel brochure, I'll just be stunned. Anyway, I was in the same position that you were in regarding the Squid Oil. I had lost the travel brochure in the glitch described in the link above, and I ran around for a good hour wondering what to do. Turned out my game was broken, and I couldn't fix it because I had already saved my game. I had to start over. But on the plus side, it took me less than half the time to get back to where I was in my old save with my new one. Still really annoying though. I couldn't believe that WayForward missed a bug like that.

PixyJunket really should add a link or description of the travel brochure bug to the OP, so hopefully others can avoid it.

I need to hurry up and finish the original so I can get this. I adored Risk'ys Revenge, despite the short length, and the original, which I always found too hard because of the short attack range and high number of instant death pits, is much more manageable on VC.

bart64

Banned
Thanks guys, I'll have to bite the bullet with this one. Must be the same glitch, I didn't talk to the squid guy until later, after going to the next island and talking to the wagon guy. I really need to pay more attention to this game, the text just doesn't sink in. I like the whole attitude behind it, but it just begins to sound like gibberish after a couple sentences.

I'll do it for the music, the action, and because these wayforward dudes are doing a lot with a little. Glad I'm not crazy, in this case at least. Thanks again.

TheOGB

Banned
I got 100% and missed it. Where is it?
(spoilers on how to get to it)
It's actually in Spittle Maze, on Saliva Island. Once you have the boots you can go to the next room, then run back to the first room and into the wall.

(spoilers on what it is)
It's Dribble Fountain, right out of the first Shantae game. Like, literally. It feels a little claustrophobic because Shantae and the enemies are bigger than they used to be, but it's kinda neat. I don't know if you get anything extra for going through it, but I did it on my 100% file. *shrug* I'll have to check again on my Pirate Mode run.

Psxphile

It's just for nostalgia purposes and is actually a pretty great place to grind for gems. They could have gone the extra mile and given you extra percentage ala SotN for completing it, but oh well.

Yuterald

I CANNOT stop listening to The Royal Library track. Is the rest of the OST this good? I don't want to spoil any other track. What's funny, when I clicked on the OST link, I immediately focused in on this track, for whatever reason, haha! Hate being a knee-jerk kind of guy, but I think I like this single track more than anything from even Shovel Knight. I'm dead serious. This is like some Monster World IV/Genesis-era high-tier-feels kind of good shit. I gotta run through the other two games first still, but I have a STRONG feeling both this game and its OST (as I'm assuming I'll get it by year's end) will be very high up on my GOTY list.

I'm only a little over half way through the game, so I haven't heard all of it, but yeah, the OST is so awesome! Jake Kaufman really knocked it out of the park yet again. I personally can't stop listening to this one: http://virt.bandcamp.com/track/scorching-dunes-sunburn-island

And I gotta say, I thought that having no dance transformations in this game was gonna have an impact on how fun it was to play and reduce what you could do in the levels, but the new pirate items are fantastic! The abilities that they have give you so many more immediate gameplay options and strategies, it makes platforming and fighting enemies a lot more fun. I do still kinda miss the dancing though; it would've been cool if Shantae could still dance in some way (even as an idle animation). I think if WayForward combines something like the pirate items and dance transformations in Half-Genie Hero they'll have a perfect Shantae game gameplay wise.

Oh, and I'm not sure if this should go here, or in the review thread, but IGN has their review for this game up: 8.5/10 http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/29/shantae-and-the-pirates-curse-review -

bon

I'm slowly working my way through this game. That one part in the desert place sure was interesting.

Psxphile

Also still playing, also still progressing slowly. I now have access to Frostbite Island's Den of Evil but I keep revisiting the previous islands to see if I can grab the stuff I missed the first time around (finally figured out how to get that Heart Squid in the dungeon wall I missed before, yep should've known I'd have to search way lower than just the immediate vicinity). Pretty much maxed my gem count that way and bought out the item shop back in Scuttle Town.

I'm either stuck or hit another progress bug.

I don't want a direct solution, but if anyone at the end or finished could tell me:

Ammo Baron is looking for Barracuda Joe, I have Spirit of Joe but it's not triggering anything with him.

Do I need to backtrack somewhere with this or should I just keep going on in the new area?

Psxphile

I'm either stuck or hit another progress bug.

I don't want a direct solution, but if anyone at the end or finished could tell me:

Ammo Baron is looking for Barracuda Joe, I have Spirit of Joe but it's not triggering anything with him.

Do I need to backtrack somewhere with this or should I just keep going on in the new area?

I just did this.

If you've already spoken to Rottytops and her brother at their home, then you should be able to return the soul. Maybe you need to have the "new recruits" return as well? Did you get the sword from Tan Island and returned it to Bran-son already? Though I'm pretty sure I restored Joe first before giving back the sword.

Game might just have some very stringent flags that you need to trigger.

EDIT: update that OP already

I got stuck on the ice island after taking the thing to Ammo Baron. Then I started playing Bayonetta 2. I've had a lot of fun with this game so far, though. I guess I'll beat Bayonetta and get back to this.

roknin

Love the character themes. Sky, Rotty and Risky's themes are all great.

Makes me wonder how many of you are waiting for the Wii-U version.
And how many will double dip.
Lets hope the Wii-U version and a European and Australia release will give this thread some more life.

I'm super tempted to double dip but money can only go so far,and I'm much more likely to play it on the Wii U so I'm grabbing it there.

Plus I wanna Let's Play it in the near future too (and I don't have a 3DS Capture Card installed yet T^T).

Should I get the GBC and the DSi game before this? Or just jump into this one?

This is the best one I think (The DSi one was the second game I ever got for my 3DS, but I haven't finished the GBC one on virtual console yet). DSi game is definitely worth a look too, but you don't really need to play them in order.

zlCfzSnNEGoH5lhNj5

I completed my first playthrough but now I need to find all the Dark Magic. Is there a guide somewhere with the locations? I'm still missing two Cacklebats and some squids, although maybe I can find them legitimately still…

I definitely think the $20 was worth it (great production values in this game, and I also liked the VA from Christina Vee) but for those on the fence, I'm sure there will be a sale on the eShop sometime in 2015 or maybe even for Christmas. It seems like a lot of 3DS eShop titles go on sale, although it is up to the developer.

Top Bottom