• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn crowdfunding was Success-Fu. Coming to last and current gen

Ludist210

It's one of the most mind boggling Kickstarter/indiegogo success stories that i've seen. It's a sequel/spiritual successor to a terrible game and it's by a company that has no development history. And they were asking for 450k.
Shaq has a lot of appeal past gamers. I can see why this succeeded, but I'm still baffled by it.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Sequel to one of the worst games ever made, Shaq Fu, gets funded.

Sequel to one of the best games ever made, Eternal Darkness, doesn't get funded.

Makes sense. People on the internet are smart.

Oh now you did it now the mob's just going to jump on you "because Dyack."

But me? Well good sir I agree, and I like the cut of your jib. Carry on.

Debatable. Also no one liked that studio and what they did afterwards. The real tragedy is Outlast.

How so?

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Averagely, each backer "gave" $353. This project also had roughly the same amount of backers as the failed Cult County kickstarter (1,492 vs Shaq's current 1,340), and all of the higher $0000 tiers have been sold out.

43 people pledged $280,000 altogther. 43 people pledged half of the project. Shady as fuck.

Cheddahz

Banned
When the campaign started, I wanted to play it, but Shaq has gotten into so much shit since then that I don't really want anything to do with it now

And how is that my problem? They want to make a game? Find a publisher. They'll get my support when I buy the product.

Not before. And "investing" 15 bucks is still an investment. There are many things you could buy with those 15 bucks.

key word there.

Dont want to help kickstart this game? I know this is a lot of steps to process, but bare with me:
1. Dont do it.
2. Thats it.

People define and find value in things that are different than you. Enough people found this had enough value, and its getting made, so what?

Even if its mostly this 50 or so people....50 or so people still did.

What exactly was the driving factor in backing this, just nostalgia for a terrible game? I wonder if a "Kazaam" sequel could get funded.

georly

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/227692-...unty-and-shaq-fu-crowdsourced-funding-efforts

There's some metrics for you. The failed Cult County Kickstarter had almost the same number of backers as Shaq Fu.

Only difference was that the average Cult County backer level was only $30 per.

Cult County's backer distribution looks much more "normal." High-end tiers all untaken, lots of backers at entry-level tiers.

Unlike Shaq Fu, which, again, mysteriously nailed ALL of the top tiers (except the $4000 one they just added today!)

1000 people put in for Cult County at $15 (cheapest price for game). 158 put in for $15 on Shaq Fu.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Averagely, each backer "gave" $353. This project also had roughly the same amount of backers as the failed Cult County kickstarter (1,492 vs Shaq's current 1,340), and all of the higher $0000 tiers have been sold out.

43 people pledged $280,000 altogther. 43 people pledged half of the project. Shady as fuck.

B-Ball buddies breaking out the big bills to prevent embarassment. Solid sports memorabilia rewards driving up the midtier donations. This isn't really a big mystery here.

50 million dollars for a new Wing Commander, now that's a big mystery. :p

benjipwns

Banned
omg

T9fa4UN.jpg

omg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So. Visiting their twitter and nothing since 2014. Is that project dead?

Are you really that surprised? Even when kickstarter was all the rage this seemed like a weird choice that I was surprised was funded and suspect only because it was all the rage at that point in time. This thing looked dead before the kickstarter was funded.

It's dirty as hell, but this was preeveryone understanding that Kickstarter is not a place to preorder. At the same time, I look at the fact this was a game that tried to reboot a game that was considered "one of the worst games of all time" and it's hard to muster up sympathy. Now excuse while I continue to wait on my barkley 2. ;_;

Are you really that surprised? Even when kickstarter was all the rage this seemed like a weird choice that I was surprised was funded and suspect only because it was all the rage at that point in time. This thing looked dead before the kickstarter was funded.

Not really surprised, but I was just talking about Shaq Fu and remember there was a KS/Indiegogo about a sequel. Then checked their website and twitter and nothing happened since 2014...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Not really surprised, but I was just talking about Shaq Fu and remember there was a KS/Indiegogo about a sequel. Then checked their website and twitter and nothing happened since 2014...

Yeah this sounds like the guys took the money and ran. Who know's if they even attempted to make the game outside of the kickstarter since it was basically radio silence once it was funded.

tkscz

Holy shit, this is 3 years old, what a bump. Kind of forgot about this, but I'd assume the project is dead and the kickstarter creators ran off with the money.

jennetics

The game's Indiegogo campaign hit its target last night with just hours to spare, and after a couple of last-minute perks were added (someone donated $4000 to have lunch and a game of basketball at Shaq's house).

...Shaq just ate the rest of the crowdfunding costs, didn't he. At least he'll be able to play basketball at his house.

Top Bottom