• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn (Indiegogo, 450K goal)

SoupyFlow

Banned
I was at a Memphis vs LSU basketball game in Orlando back in November. Shaq was there and walked right by me and I shook his hand. It felt like I was shaking the hand of a giant and I am 6'2 190 pounds with fairly large hands myself. He was pretty awesome though, no body guards pushing people away and he was taking pictures with everyone. Unfortunately for him, my Memphis Tigers beat his LSU Tigers ;)

TimmiT

$25,000 - Dinner with Shaq

A steal. Truly a man who loves his fans.

The picture for that stretch goal is amazing:
20140304073616-Shaq_Eating.jpg

Chindogg

If I could get a Shaq Fu/Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball/Charles Barkley Shut Up And Jam Gaiden crossover game I'd be all over this.

The ONLY redeeming charm the original had was the animation and pixel art.

Created by the same guys who made Flashback, I think. I remember seeing it in magazines and thinking it was gorgeous (outside of the fact that it was a stupid fighting game featuring Shaq, of course.)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Lol, didnt even know Shaq Fu had a cult following, but I guess every shitty game has its fans

belushy

Banned
the janitor for the halo team

the mailboy for street fighter

the caterer for final fantasy

the QA kid for Alan Wake

the assistant secretary for the caterer for Spec Ops

the email grammar checker for the secretary for Battlefield

the guy who repaired a PC that was later sold to the Killzone team

the person who did the floral arrangements at the Max Payne dev office

the project lead for Duke Nukem Forever

Frank O'Connor, Halo Dev

Camp Lo

Banned
"He is the best center ever to play the game. Of course he's got money, and yes he will be investing a lot of his own time and money in this project. We will be investing considerably more of our own money in the game than we are asking for."

"We’re not asking for any more than we need. We are all about appreciation for the fact that you’re putting your hard earned cash on the table so that we can make this a reality and we hold that at the core of this campaign. Shaq and the rest of us at Big Deez want partners who share our passion for excellent games. If you really want to help us make something unforgettable - in the good way this time - then help us go even further and reach our stretch goals."

Shaquille O'Neil Net Worth: $250,000,000

Needs $450,000

Oh the irony.

You think celebs fund this type of thing with their OWN money?
Nnrno.png

At any rate, I love Shaq and I'm gonna get in on this.

goddammit, it's so easy to fuck up action games and have them turn out mediocre, but I really want more action games on the market

fuck it, in for $15

NotLiquid

Lol, didnt even know Shaq Fu had a cult following, but I guess every shitty game has its fans

Shaq-Fu was a really shitty game, I don't think anyone's about to deny that.

But the idea of getting a good Shaq-Fu game sounds tantalizing if only because the concept sounds so ridiculously funny. It's one of those 90s concepts that died out horribly and can be appreciated ironically.

TEJ

shaq fu was one of the first games I bought for the genesis. It was really shitty. Like, one of the worst games I have ever played.

why would people pay money for this, even if done ironically?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I kind of played a ridiculous amount of the first one on Genesis.

hmmmmmmmmmmm

Dem stretch goals yo...

$500,000 - We add a challenge mode!

$550,000 - Two additional levels and an additional playable character!

$650,000 - iOS and Android feel the thrill of Shaq Fu!

$775,000 - Shaq Fu gets the Xbox and PS3 treatment!

$960,000 - Shaq in your pocket with PS Vita and 3DS versions!

$1,080,000 - Nintendo lovers get the action on Wii U!

$1,620,000 - Shaq goes turbo on XBOX One and PS4 Platforms!

Ludist210

Shaq-Fu was a really shitty game, I don't think anyone's about to deny that.

But the idea of getting a good Shaq-Fu game sounds tantalizing if only because the concept sounds so ridiculously funny. It's one of those 90s concepts that died out horribly and can be appreciated ironically.
I think that's why I'm so intrigued by the idea as well. Plus they actually have a decent team of people working on it...could be good. At least it can't be worse than the original.

KalBalboa

Banned
Part of me thinks this money will be used to not only gauge interest but to work as a sort of advertising campaign for the game, too.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how far it's gotten by Monday. Shaq's appeal reaches outside of gamers.

Top Bottom