• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shatter Official Thread

Chromax

ARGH AHHHHH. 9.2 mil in bonus mode. -_-

Level 2 just eats up all the scores I get in level 1 (4 mil+) by somehow splitting the 3 balls at me every single time in 3 ways.

wsippel

Banned
A few things I noticed (except for the mistake in the German translation):

- The physics when two balls collide seem to be rather... funky at times. Sometimes the trajectory hardly changes when two balls meet at a 90° angle, sometimes they barely touch and go off in completely different (and seemingly random) directions.

- Why is there a loading screen if you restart a level? I mean, I know the reason, but there shouldn't be one. The engine should be able to reset a scene without reloading it. It's really noticeable in Bonus Mode.

- Why in gods name does the background animation on the game over screen block the restart menu? I'm talking about that wipe animation thing in the first column. If you hit triangle to restart, the menu comes up, but you can't change the selection until that animation is triggered (at least it seems to be related to that particular animation).

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
wsippel said:
- Why is there a loading screen if you restart a level? I mean, I know the reason, but there shouldn't be one. The engine should be able to reset a scene without reloading it. It's really noticeable in Bonus Mode.

That is to do with the reinitialisation of the physics. Most of the "load" time the game isn't actually loading any data from the hard drive. It is actually just setting everything up.

There might be a way to optimise that a little more.

- Why in gods name does the background animation on the game over screen block the restart menu? I'm talking about that wipe animation thing in the first column. If you hit triangle to restart, the menu comes up, but you can't change the selection until that animation is triggered (at least it seems to be related to that particular animation).

Not sure exactly what you are referring to, but will take a look.

Edit: oh, and PSXExtreme review is up 9/10 http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-reviews/267.html

And a PushSquare review at 4 out of 4 http://www.pushsquare.com/4694/shatter-on-playstation-3-review/

:)

wsippel

Banned
Mario said:
That is to do with the reinitialisation of the physics. Most of the "load" time the game isn't actually loading any data from the hard drive. It is actually just setting everything up.

There might be a way to optimise that a little more.

Not sure exactly what you are referring to, but will take a look.
Thanks! I mean, it sure is nitpicking, but I believe that the game is good enough to nitpick - if something is broken (or at least mediocre) by design, it makes little sense to even think about such small things. But with a great game like Shatter, those small things do matter in my opinion.

Oh, and did you notice my earlier post about the translation error?

phaelf

Great game, finished the story mode pretty easily but did 3 hours straigt of the bonus mode and only got 9.5M.
Haven't tried the boss rush, but it looks like it will be also hard to get the trophy.

I also notice this, you need to wait 2/3 sec before you can change from no to yes in the menu.

Bought it last night and it is indeed ace. Certainly seems to have that one more go factor, that something like Stardust had. In many ways it does feel like a twin stick shooter, even though it isn't. It does however bring the Breakout style games kicking and screaming into the 21st Century.

The levels, and bosses all feel nice and varied. The level shape mix up is also welcome. Though I do have a minor complaint with the vertical screen set up. The score slightly obscures the play field in the lower right corner, leaving it hard to see sometimes in that area. Can this be fixed?

Also love how your friends list scores are always there comparing against your own, setting you a goal to achieve every time. All games should include this. So hats off for that.

Music as previously stated is fantastic.

All in all a brilliant game and another welcome title for PSN.

jiggles

Banned
Finished the Story mode yesterday. Great game, fantastic sound, congrats to the guys at Sidhe for making one of the best original PSN games to date.

One thing I'd like to see in a future update is a level editor/uploader. Looking at all the non-boss waves in the game (how they're essentially just rearrangements of a library of bricks with set behaviours) it seems like a perfect fit.

Orobi

Finished the game last night. Very very funny and great for audio/video presentation.
I love the OST, my fav tracks are: Kinetic Harvest, Krypton Garden and Amethyst Caverns.
Now I will try to catch 10mil on bonus stage and the 10min trophy on boss battle!
I hope for some DLC with new levels, a multiplayer feature and... some other great music tracks!!!
Fantastic game, great Sidhe.

It would be really cool, if Sidhe could add country flags or initials to the ranks :). I like the thought of giving the player the opportunity to see the nationality of his fellow gamers worldwide.

jmd494

12.1 Million on Bonus Mode.

Currently tied with BobTheFork.

Anyone scroll down to the bottom of the leaderboard yet to see how many sales?

reakt

This is the best PSN game since Super Stardust HD. Thanks Mario and the rest of the Sidhe team.

Getting 10 million in bonus mode is really hard but I like a challenge. It took me ages to destroy 10 nukes on endless in Super Stardust HD.

My favourite thing about the game is the end of world bosses - a lot of effort and imagination has gone into each one. Just awesome!

Orobi

My hopes for a DCL or a sort of sequel:

- multiplayer cooperative mode - no split screen

- multiplayer competitve mode online + split screen

- 3 or more kind of paddle, each with unique abilities and... size!

- levels where natural elements (water, ice, not only wind) can influence the behaviour of balls and bricks.

- More "umanoid" boss: forget clock and spheric ship, and give us some giant hands (like one of the boss of Turrican!!!) and other space-animal-cyborg end stage guardians!

- give a powershot to the paddle: a pressure-bar like R-Type, in order to shoot a mega blast and destroy many bricks at once!!!

- More and more musics!!! :D

Tnks to Sidhe for this great game! Really awesome stuff.

Wowbagger

epmode said:
I really like the game but it could really use a faster arcade mode. A single game in story mode takes far too long. Super Stardust HD had the same problem until the single-player DLC pack was released.

Totally agreed. This is where Astro Tripper excels. That game's story mode is perfect in length and difficulty for score attacks.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wowbagger said:
Totally agreed. This is where Astro Tripper excels. That game's story mode is perfect in length and difficulty for score attacks.

There are section specific leaderboards tho.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Orobi said:
- More "umanoid" boss: forget clock and spheric ship, and give us some giant hands (like one of the boss of Turrican!!!) and other space-animal-cyborg end stage guardians!

We actually went out of our way to avoid humanoid bosses, and even tried to minimize the references to Earth technology or animals (though fell in love with a couple of bosses in the prototype stage that broke this "rule").

We wanted to create a world and civilization which was completely alien so it felt fresh and the gamer questioned the origin and destiny of it.

There are some ideas for a sequel which may get slightly closer to what you are asking though.

Greg

I wish bonus mode was broken down even further with leaderboards for each individual bonus level - or even a bonus mode, but once you lose one of your 3 balls the game is over.

Awesome game though - well worth the money, and one of my favorites on PSN.

El-Suave

A minor thing I noticed that irritated me a bit:

In the extra bonus mode (at least that's where I noticed it) when the screen setup is vertical, the bat disappears behind the big golden score font when you move it all the way right. It's not optimal if the score gets in the way of the gameplay. Maybe the score could be moved to one of the upper corners.

Chromax said:
ARGH AHHHHH. 9.2 mil in bonus mode. -_-

Level 2 just eats up all the scores I get in level 1 (4 mil+) by somehow splitting the 3 balls at me every single time in 3 ways.

You definitely need some Ninja Reflexes in Stage 2 (To relax in the annoying Stage 3)

wsippel said:
First of all: Awesome game, great work Mario!

I spotted a small mistake in the German translation, though: "Credits" means "Mitwirkende" in this context, not "Guthaben". I guess the translator just had a list of words to translate but didn't know the context, because "credits" usually translates to "Guthaben", but not in this context - it's not even remotely synonymous.

Wow, this breaks my heart as a former LT person. Please hire me, I'm great! :lol

Just finished the game from start to finish.
I had to use a continue in the last level before the last boss, and only afterwards noticed that there is a trophy for succeeding without one, I was so pissed. :(

How fucking hard is that Boss Rush mode trophy, though? I haven't even tried it but some people way up in the leaderboards have times barely below 10 min. Discouraging.
I spotted a small mistake in the German translation, though: "Credits" means "Mitwirkende" in this context, not "Guthaben". I guess the translator just had a list of words to translate but didn't know the context, because "credits" usually translates to "Guthaben", but not in this context - it's not even remotely synonymous.
Off-topic, but I remember some horrible ranslations from games back in the day.
Two good examples:

Goemon on N64: Level Clear -> Ebene löschen
Suikoden II: Chain Mail -> Kettenpost

This shouldn't happen anymore today.

I found myself using what I consider to be an unorthodox control scheme without even realizing it (initially obviously). I was using the L2 and R1 button. In just about every game I can think of, L1 and R1 are paired and L2 and R2 are paired, as is logical. In Shatter, however, it give you the option of using any L and R pair. For some reason, my fingers just naturally shifted to L2 and R1. I don't really understand what makes it more comfortable, but it just feels right. I'm wondering if the same thing would happen if another game allowed it. Sort of random, but it was a big moment for me. Anyone else finding themselves doing this?

Heh, it also took me two playthroughs of the story mode before discovering that the ball projected its path with a laser. I feel a bit stupid, but directing the ball ended up being a lot more precise and useful the next time around. :D

Great game and a great price. Thanks Mario!

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

kassatsu

Banned
Not having real Internet is no fun. I am going to the library tomorrow. OP should be up-to-date with reviews and music link then.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Rlan said:
The Arkanoid tables are admittedly kind of weird - I don't think they're very accurate to the amount of people who bought it.

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/06/analysis_may_2009s_xbox_live.php

Arkanoid didn't do well against the other games released during its time. 16,500 on the leaderboards would have put an XBLA game at least in the Top 3 of that week, for example.

Thanks. Trying to factor in the weekday dropoff and extrapolate out, we should do 20k in the first week relatively easily. If we do make that I'll be fairly happy.

I remember Wipeout HD only doing about 25000 in the first week. After the first month though it was over 100000. Eventually saw it over 200000. I'm just saying that I don't believe every game is front loaded.

I've been bugging two people to buy Shatter. :D

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Bearillusion said:
I remember Wipeout HD only doing about 25000 in the first week. After the first month though it was over 100000. Eventually saw it over 200000. I'm just saying that I don't believe every game is front loaded.

I've been bugging two people to buy Shatter. :D

Without dropping the price, the highest daily sales a console download game will record are usually experienced in the first week. But the true success of such a title comes down to how much it does week to week on an ongoing basis, because those weeks all add up year to year. A good quality title can definitely do well beyond the first 3 months of release.

I have my fingers crossed :)

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Bearillusion said:
Now if you could just drop the price of Gripshift to to the same price as Shatter (in Aus) you might get another sale. :p

No control over that unfortunately. Though that may not stay that way forever.

Mario said:
Without dropping the price, the highest daily sales a console download game will record are usually experienced in the first week. But the true success of such a title comes down to how much it does week to week on an ongoing basis, because those weeks all add up year to year. A good quality title can definitely do well beyond the first 3 months of release.

I have my fingers crossed :)
I think Shatter will have decent legs because hype about the game is coming through word of mouth of people actually playing it. There wasn't a lot of pre-release hype which would usually lead to front loaded sales. I'm certainly trying to spread the word but a demo would definitely help.

BeeDog

Finally got the Master Batter trophy, wooo. Am on 72nd place on the Story Mode leaderboard, but I guess I won't be for long. :lol I think I saw Beatbox on the 15th(?) place, and cakefoo on the 7th.

epmode said:
I really like the game but it could really use a faster arcade mode. A single game in story mode takes far too long. Super Stardust HD had the same problem until the single-player DLC pack was released.
Yeah, I agree. I quite like the game but story mode looks like it's very, very long, and I'm not sure I have much interest in going for scores on individual stages. I understand why so many devs include these long story modes but it bums me out to see these games with good arcade-style gameplay but no true arcade mode.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'm getting more amusement out of the Boss names than I probably should. I literally LOLed at Bloctopus.

Great grooves so far through the first three worlds. Haven't had a chance to get farther than that.

RobertM

I beat the entire story mode in one sitting and didn't get a trophy, what gives? Also when I beat the game it registered my 299 mil score and not the 333 mil one, but today it shows 333 mil and still no trophy :(.

In Bonus Mode, can you guys make the font smaller for the score or move it down a bit, because it's very intrusive.

Rummy Bunnz said:
Yeah, I agree. I quite like the game but story mode looks like it's very, very long, and I'm not sure I have much interest in going for scores on individual stages. I understand why so many devs include these long story modes but it bums me out to see these games with good arcade-style gameplay but no true arcade mode.

If thats how you feel about it, youre best of just failing the bonus rounds after every Boss finish. It really cuts down signifciantly on the story mode (if you feel its too long) if you fail all the bonus rounds from the begining.

Ravidrath

I seriously disliked the Argon Refinery boss, but once I got past that, I'm enjoying the game again!

Almost done with it - great work, and I hope you guys release additional levels and whatnot later.

vocab

Quick question.

Why does my Story Mode score only show that I only have my first stage score? I thought Story Mode Score was every stages score combined.

vocab said:
Quick question.

Why does my Story Mode score only show that I only have my first stage score? I thought Story Mode Score was every stages score combined.

It takes some time for the score to register. Had the same thing happen with Boss Rush, it registered my first atempt, but after I completed a new round and went to check my rank, it wasnt updated.

Also, remember if you die (lose all your balls) your score gets reset.

Top Bottom