• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Elliott's "Whiskey Nerd" was a brilliant addition to The Brodeo.

Curufinwe

The weird part is how they both find the time to do The Geekbox every week. It's why they stopped their own podcasts.

They even got a regular guest who pretended to move to LA and was supposedly replaced by his own identical twin brother. It's the laziest bit ever - he didn't even have to alter his voice, just slightly change his name.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
Just got alerted to this thread. Wow, after all these years some people still think "Ryan Scott" was real? LOL

Well done, Shawn.

Andrew.

Banned
Just got alerted to this thread. Wow, after all these years some people still think "Ryan Scott" was real? LOL

Well done, Shawn.

Your impersonation was spot on, even better than that time you were acting like your aunt =P

Out of curiousity, do you still play bass regularly?

gabbo

Jeff whatever your new podcast with "Ryan" is, set aside a single evening to talk and stream Rust with me.

So did Jeff make you play all those hours of Eve (as he was the boss), back when "Ryan" played MMO's not named WoW? Or was it a joint effort to share the pain?

Wait, we weren't supposed to know Ryan wasn't real the whole time? I have a hard time buying that one.
I love everything you touch Ryan, it's all gold.

Andrew.

Banned
Just finished the first episode of Out Of The Game.

That was really something else. Completely an anything goes podcast with a focus on games, yet tangents still overruled. Much like GFW rocked back in the day. I love Lukes insight. Really wish he would've stuck around for more frequent guest spots other than the final episode.

Andrew.

Banned
Man, Luke being on the Brodeo. It would be a complete battle between him and Elliott over who was gonna take up the most recording time.

Whether or not it was funny was your call (it was old as hell to me, again, it was an EIGHT YEAR OLD website when they were doing it, the jokes had already been around the block), but the point was that it had nothing to do with PC gaming, which is what I was listening to it for. I wasn't listening to the original podcast for them to sing about Hot Pockets, and even the bragging about online trolling felt out of place. I just feel like they got too obsessed with being entertaining over being informative and thoughtful, even if they didn't completely remove those latter elements. And I admit I didn't listen to some of the later episodes, so that could've changed again; as I said, there was a point where I gave up on them.

Everyone discovers things at their own pace. It just so happened that the way it was presented in its hilariously over the top fashion made it so enjoyable for many people who had never been exposed to that sort of thing.

There are numerous examples of the in-depth conversations in game design that transpired on GFW, the best place to start is the compilations, it's hard for me to find them on youtube because the off-topic conversations tend to dominate there, I imagine because they are in a lot of ways timeless, whereas the conversations on game design are period pieces, though still pretty relevant (the industry hasn't really changed all that much).

But the off-beat nature of GFW, if i'm allowed to be a little pretentious here, reflects rather well the odd and silly nature of the PC and the culture that surrounds it. The PC is a very experimental device, unlike consoles (especially around the time GFW was running) which ONLY played games, the PC was your portal to the internet and the oddities that surrounded it, so it was only natural for the conversation to drift towards the general silliness of the internet. If anything it felt like the perfect compliment towards the PC.

But more importantly I think the off-topic nature of GFW reflects the problems that the PC faced at that time, there was not a lot of content to work with, most developers were purely focused on consoles and there was a lot of fear that the PC had lost its relevance as a games device.

But more importantly I think the off-topic nature of GFW reflects the problems that the PC faced at that time, there was not a lot of content to work with, most developers were purely focused on consoles and there was a lot of fear that the PC had lost its relevance as a games device.

Yeah, you nailed it with the last part, and for me that was what made this podcast so unique. Although they did had serious bits every now an then that were really good discussions. If I remember correctly they always joked and were afraid about GFW disappearing, and the GFW jokes were gold too.

Ha, glad to see the old Brodeo Bro's coming out of the woodwork. Before Giant Bomb, these guys helped me get through my job at a soul numbing grocery store.

I was hoping this wouldn't get out. But I knew the sun would rise today.

After the Brodeo ended and before plans to create The GameSpy Debriefings/The Comedy Button podcasts began, Jeff Green and I met in an abandoned candy store in Sunnyvale, CA to discuss keeping the "Ryan Scott" character "alive" for "the fans" to "listen to."

He taught me everything there was to know about Ryan. How his diet consisted largely of vending machine items and pie filling containers from chain supermarkets. How he carried briefcases full of crumpled notebook papers he would use to obsessively rank the Koopa Kids. How he couldn't make pasta without burning the water.

Jeff whispered gently but quickly because we had little time. He told me that if you pinch the lower half of your Adam's apple while chewing six gummy colas and ONLY breathing angrily through your nose, you can replicate the "Ryan Scott" voice fairly easily. That was the simple part. What happened next changed me forever.

I got lost in the character, sometimes going days at a time only using rooted Android devices, watching standard definition television programs and only buying cereals that came with prizes. "How could anybody live like this?" I screamed, through foot thick glasses and a wilted Indiana Jones replica fedora. It seemed insane to me. Completely insane. But I knew a character this bizarre and obsessed with comic book origin stories, the Three Stooges for NES and whatever the fuck a "pizza whistle" was had to be something special, as deranged as he seemed. I knew he was the creation of geniuses and it was an honor to keep his character alive. And keep him alive I would.

The torch had been passed. The Kermit voiced nerd will live another day. There is always a "Ryan Scott," no matter the year or the show or the generation.

Oh boy. Oh boy indeed.

In my humble opinion, and after listening to a lot of gaming and non-gaming podcasts, I can say with confidence that the Brodeo was one of the best. You guys had magic going on when you recorded this. It was the perfect storm.

FStop7

Banned
It literally bothers me when there are new threads about the Brodeo (or its individual members) and so many people on GAF no longer know what it was or who they are.

Andrew.

Banned
It literally bothers me when there are new threads about the Brodeo (or its individual members) and so many people on GAF no longer know what it was or who they are.

Which is why we make threads like these. Gotta introduce the youngins to the greatest gaming podcast of all time.

gabbo

GFW/GFWRadio died before a lot of people got into/back into PC gaming. It makes sense they wouldn't know. We can lord it over them, so think of it as a plus.

Good times back then. Made a couple of my internships and retail jobs during college tolerable. For whatever odd reason, I have a vivid memory of doing some freelance journalism during an internship while listening to them talk about Prey and the space coffin.

GFW/GFWRadio died before a lot of people got into/back into PC gaming. It makes sense they wouldn't know. We can lord it over them, so think of it as a plus.
It's crazy to think how different the PC gaming landscape was five years ago. It really felt like our own little club or something.

andycapps

Not Whiskey Nerd but the Ralphie griefing in TF2 when talking about protecting some girl's honor who was in the game is one of my favorites. At some point tentacles came up as well as the other team not understanding how the Japanese view the concept of honor.

Andrew.

Banned
Not Whiskey Nerd but the Ralphie griefing in TF2 when talking about protecting some girl's honor who was in the game is one of my favorites.

"You're still a princess to mee!"

"I dont care if you call me retarded. My own grandma calls me retarded every day."

Not Whiskey Nerd but the Ralphie griefing in TF2 when talking about protecting some girl's honor who was in the game is one of my favorites. At some point tentacles came up as well as the other team not understanding how the Japanese view the concept of honor.
The coincidental echo that TF2 voice chat tends to have popping up right when he spoke about "HONOR" cracks me up every time.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
I love GFW radio. I remember when me and a couple of friends went backpacking through Europe in 09' and I loaded my mp3 player with the entire brodeo catalogue so i could listen when we had downtime on trains or trainstations. We had a portable speaker with us, so i let my friends listen in on some of the heroes of the web episodes, which they all appreciated. Good times.

Top Bottom