• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Elliott's "Whiskey Nerd" was a brilliant addition to The Brodeo.

podcast got me through depressing times. GFW Live is the best and the only podcast I listened to. The chemistry between all the guys was simply amazing!

Andrew.

Banned
Here I thought I was gonna see an actual video of the dude, not the real deal use of his clips during one of Shawns TF matches (Im assuming). That was entertaining!

I had never seen TF2 in motion before either. Ive had the Orange Box since its release and have never touched that specific game. Stupid I know, but at the time when I bought it I had no internet access and then it just got lost in the sauce.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
NfkCCas.png

Ad Ponimen.

Ifrit

I was hoping this wouldn't get out. But I knew the sun would rise today.

After the Brodeo ended and before plans to create The GameSpy Debriefings/The Comedy Button podcasts began, Jeff Green and I met in an abandoned candy store in Sunnyvale, CA to discuss keeping the "Ryan Scott" character "alive" for "the fans" to "listen to."

He taught me everything there was to know about Ryan. How his diet consisted largely of vending machine items and pie filling containers from chain supermarkets. How he carried briefcases full of crumpled notebook papers he would use to obsessively rank the Koopa Kids. How he couldn't make pasta without burning the water.

Jeff whispered gently but quickly because we had little time. He told me that if you pinch the lower half of your Adam's apple while chewing six gummy colas and ONLY breathing angrily through your nose, you can replicate the "Ryan Scott" voice fairly easily. That was the simple part. What happened next changed me forever.

I got lost in the character, sometimes going days at a time only using rooted Android devices, watching standard definition television programs and only buying cereals that came with prizes. "How could anybody live like this?" I screamed, through foot thick glasses and a wilted Indiana Jones replica fedora. It seemed insane to me. Completely insane. But I knew a character this bizarre and obsessed with comic book origin stories, the Three Stooges for NES and whatever the fuck a "pizza whistle" was had to be something special, as deranged as he seemed. I knew he was the creation of geniuses and it was an honor to keep his character alive. And keep him alive I would.

The torch had been passed. The Kermit voiced nerd will live another day. There is always a "Ryan Scott," no matter the year or the show or the generation.

Oh boy. Oh boy indeed.

Makes perfect sense

Favourite GFW Bit of All Time. Shawn Elliot and Robert Ashley go around the Bay Area pretending to do consumer research on upcoming games.

As an even more obscure reference, the title of the fake firm they give to people - the Merchants of Cool, is based off a VERY well done PBS documentary by the same name which you can watch here.

Ulumsk

CGW/GFW Radio together with the Giant Bombcast and maybe the best era of 1UP Yours should be preserved in a museum somewhere.

Favourite GFW Bit of All Time. Shawn Elliot and Robert Ashley go around the Bay Area pretending to do consumer research on upcoming games.

As an even more obscure reference, the title of the fake firm they give to people - the Merchants of Cool, is based off a VERY well done PBS documentary by the same name which you can watch here.

That bit evolved into A Life Well Wasted (made by Dr Maximum Chill PhD) that I really hope you've listened to. If not: www.alifewellwasted.com. It doesn't have a lot of episodes because of how much work it takes Ashley to make them but they're all excellent.

I raise my glass to these gentlemen for all the good times they gave me. I remember taking the long way home more than once to finish listening to an episode.

The good old days, man. The good old days.

After the Brodeo ended and before plans to create The GameSpy Debriefings/The Comedy Button podcasts began, Jeff Green and I met in an abandoned candy store in Sunnyvale, CA to discuss keeping the "Ryan Scott" character "alive" for "the fans" to "listen to."

He taught me everything there was to know about Ryan. How his diet consisted largely of vending machine items and pie filling containers from chain supermarkets. How he carried briefcases full of crumpled notebook papers he would use to obsessively rank the Koopa Kids. How he couldn't make pasta without burning the water.

Jeff whispered gently but quickly because we had little time. He told me that if you pinch the lower half of your Adam's apple while chewing six gummy colas and ONLY breathing angrily through your nose, you can replicate the "Ryan Scott" voice fairly easily. That was the simple part. What happened next changed me forever.

I got lost in the character, sometimes going days at a time only using rooted Android devices, watching standard definition television programs and only buying cereals that came with prizes. "How could anybody live like this?" I screamed, through foot thick glasses and a wilted Indiana Jones replica fedora. It seemed insane to me. Completely insane. But I knew a character this bizarre and obsessed with comic book origin stories, the Three Stooges for NES and whatever the fuck a "pizza whistle" was had to be something special, as deranged as he seemed. I knew he was the creation of geniuses and it was an honor to keep his character alive. And keep him alive I would.

The torch had been passed. The Kermit voiced nerd will live another day. There is always a "Ryan Scott," no matter the year or the show or the generation.

Oh boy. Oh boy indeed.

Brap!

Andrew.

Banned
So when's Jeff Green joining Giant Bomb? Is that still happening?

God I hope not. He deserves better than to waste his intelligence and insight with those guys.

Side note: Really wish there was a vid out there of Shawn acting as Ralphie while he was playing TF2 with the guys from Valve.

Oh boy. Oh boy indeed.

Thanks for ripping off my fanfic Brian...

BCZF

Neo Member
It may be seen as "the closest thing" and I dont want to turn this into a GB Vs Brodeo thread but from the casts Ive heard of theirs, those GB guys got nothing on what the crew to GFW brought to the critical and analytical table.

Granted, I missed out on the Ryan Davis days so maybe it was a better and more insightful show before he passed.

If you want my FUPA and you think Im greezy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYUbUvzlvFw

Is this it?

Over 500k views on this re-uploaded version.

Pretty sure those guys ain't the guys from Valve. I recall Shawn talking about a joke where he got all the Valve employees to respond with "Over" after every vocal communication, which they apparently did, but it just ended up annoying him. I'm not sure there was a video of his encounter with Valve I just remember him talking about it on a podcast

DangerStepp

GFW/CGW Radio is probably my favorite podcast of all time.

It's a damn shame the 1up Boards no longer exist as they did then. Classic source of inside jokes and debauchery.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Shawn really was quite the wordsmith. Doesn't he work on level design over at Irrational? I'm sure he's good at that, too, but it's a shame we don't get more written/spoken content form him.

Andrew.

Banned
Man, Shawn really was quite the wordsmith. Doesn't he work on level design over at Irrational? I'm sure he's good at that, too, but it's a shame we don't get more written/spoken content form him.

Seriously. I could listen to that dude locquaciously discuss toilet paper and I'd probably still be blown away by his extensive vocabulary.

Although I have heard him use the occasional "supposebly", which is a big "aw hell no."

randomwab

This thread has had me going back and listen to some episodes, and the podcast really still holds up. Even when they're talking about old and long forgotten games, their discussion still holds up as fresh and insightful.

This is totally me going back to the start and listening to the whole backlog again.

Andrew.

Banned
The episode from 11/20/2007 (Huddle Up) has a fuckawesome Heroes of the Web with the Whiskey Nerd.

Discussing a Guitar Hero 3 session trying to five star "Raining Blood" with the girlfriend around.

"She then slams the door in my house and she yells shes going home. What should I do? I mean, I dont wanna lose her but the bitch did ruin a magnificent run in one of the games most insane songs."

Andrew.

Banned
Just finished all of the Out of the Game episodes. I'm officially an N'Gai fan. Really good stuff, though I skipped the episode where Elliott was MIA.

Really hope he finds work soon. Dude is brilliant.

mkenyon

Banned
I somehow missed this thread. Now I'm going back through and listening. I forget how amazing it is. In that in terms of media entertainment, the Brodeo ranks up there with The Wire as my favorite. I'm not being hyperbolic.

I also can't believe people didn't figure out the Ryan Scott prank. How can someone like that be a real person? C'mon.

Andrew.

Banned
Well my computer is toasted for now and I never backed anything up (mostly just music and movies on there anyway so no big deal), BUT I did lose access to that entire GFW library that that one dude on here was giving out a link for.

Thank god for the ThisYear podcasts because the 'Best Of' sections are actually pretty damn good and well put together. The only thing I wished they included was Shawns story about walking into a Blockbuster, seeing a kid on his knees looking at games to rent on a lower shelf and walking up to him and farting basically right on him and bowling the kid over with his ass blast.

That Thorgrim email about Fallout combat and comparing it to the the OK Corral gunfight still gets me every single time. So glad it was included.

Well my computer is toasted for now and I never backed anything up (mostly just music and movies on there anyway so no big deal), BUT I did lose access to that entire GFW library that that one dude on here was giving out a link for.

Thank god for the ThisYear podcasts because the 'Best Of' sections are actually pretty damn good and well put together. The only thing I wished they included was Shawns story about walking into a Blockbuster, seeing a kid on his knees looking at games to rent on a lower shelf and walking up to him and farting basically right on him and bowling the kid over with his ass blast.

That Thorgrim email about Fallout combat and comparing it to the the OK Corral gunfight still gets me every single time. So glad it was included.

In case you mean mine here it is

GFW Radio Complete (With Reunion Episodes) Torrent

Will seed until forever.

Anyone Reading: Feel free to put it on torrent sites etc. Add more trackers and shit too so it doesn't die if the tracker does.

Andrew.

Banned
Does anyone have a link to that GFW reunion that occurred a year or so ago? I believe it was in April. 4/20 quite possibly. All I remember from it is Shawn talking about a trip to Europe and going to some cheese museum. I need something to listen to this morning!

I always felt that Idle Thumbs came close to the more critical, analytical side of GFW. But hell, as much as I love Idle Thumbs, even I have to admit that it's hugely dropped off in quality recently. It's slowly becoming the indie game podcast which is fine to a level, but it feels like all they do these days which isn't all that I want to hear from those guys.

I get what you mean, I listened to an older episode the other day and its crazy how much more energy and jokes and excitement the show had (it was episode 48 i think? the one where they announced Nick was leaving). These days Idle Thumbs feels more like a thing that they HAVE to do rather than something they genuinely WANT to do. But I still love hearing those guys talk about anything and will continue listening as long as they keep doing it.

big_z

Does anyone have a link to that GFW reunion that occurred a year or so ago? I believe it was in April. 4/20 quite possibly. All I remember from it is Shawn talking about a trip to Europe and going to some cheese museum. I need something to listen to this morning!

I think ryan posted it on the geekbox

Andrew.

Banned
The This Year collection is really, really good but I wish it included segments like the 'Why So Low" discussion.

I was listening to it this morning and got up to where Shawn was discussing the fidelity of his memory remembering old commercial jingles. I was dying.

"It's a Burger King Croissanwich!"

"The Taco Holder is a Tray!"

It did unfortunately cut out the part where he sings the Mr. Bucket jingle: "Balls pop out of my mouth!"

Oh and Shawm if you're reading this, the Fruit Island cereal commercial is in fact on YouTube.

edit: Thanks BigZ!

I get what you mean, I listened to an older episode the other day and its crazy how much more energy and jokes and excitement the show had (it was episode 48 i think? the one where they announced Nick was leaving). These days Idle Thumbs feels more like a thing that they HAVE to do rather than something they genuinely WANT to do. But I still love hearing those guys talk about anything and will continue listening as long as they keep doing it.

It has its moments still. Hearing nick talk about ACIV and his realization that, for leisure, he was playing as a game tester as a means to relax from the stresses of game development was pretty hilarious.

Andrew.

Banned
Having been banned before for talking shit on someones avatar, I can tell you he'll be back in two weeks. Haha.

Andrew.

Banned
Minor bump but I got a question.

Does anyone know why the Heroes of the Web segments just up and disappeared one day? They were pretty rampant in 2007, but then pretty much dropped off the radar in the 2008 episodes. Was the crew getting complaints about making fun of these people or what?

Because stuff like this is fucking classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zAW11gSOk0

Jeff: "So what do you guys think? Does he sweat?"

Robert: 'I think he doesn't exist."

Top Bottom