• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Elliott's "Whiskey Nerd" was a brilliant addition to The Brodeo.

Andrew.

Banned
Minor re bump but I've been listening to the ThisYear collection for the umteenth time and I gotta ask again if anyone knows why the Heroes of the Web segments suddenly up and disappeared? They were rampant in the 2007 episodes and then ceased to exist in 2008. I've just assumed that complaints were made about making fun of these people

Favs still have to be the marriage to Sonic forum segment, followed by the kid that discovers that Tails is his imaginary friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOC1LZdOimQ

I know Shawn is busy working and he just had a kid, but man what I would give to get a new reunion cast of these guys. Even if it was just one episode.

Minor re bump but I've been listening to the ThisYear collection for the umteenth time and I gotta ask again if anyone knows why the Heroes of the Web segments suddenly up and disappeared? They were rampant in the 2007 episodes and then ceased to exist in 2008. I've just assumed that complaints were made about making fun of these people

Favs still have to be the marriage to Sonic forum segment, followed by the kid that discovers that Tails is his imaginary friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOC1LZdOimQ

I know Shawn is busy working and he just had a kid, but man what I would give to get a new reunion cast of these guys. Even if it was just one episode.

A lot of it ended up on Shawns twitter feed. Also a lot of insane shit stopped being fascinating/shocking in the way a lot of Hero of the Web content was in the beginning. I think Shawn mentions it in a reunion or something.

As for a new reunion I have no idea when or if it will happen, Shawn mentioned something about wishing not to be so associated with GFW anymore plus they had a sort of saddening experience in the last reunion feeling like the has-beens signing autographs at shitty conventions. This is just my take on how things seem to be atm.

Sober

A lot of it ended up on Shawns twitter feed. Also a lot of insane shit stopped being fascinating/shocking in the way a lot of Hero of the Web content was in the beginning. I think Shawn mentions it in a reunion or something.

As for a new reunion I have no idea when or if it will happen, Shawn mentioned something about wishing not to be so associated with GFW anymore plus they had a sort of saddening experience in the last reunion feeling like the has-beens signing autographs at shitty conventions. This is just my take on how things seem to be atm.
Wow, yeah, as much as we loved them back then it must suck for them if that's what we want to remember them by. I agree, despite the fact we probably won't get any more reunion episodes. Kinda didn't even realize no one even tried to make a reunion panel this year.

Wow, yeah, as much as we loved them back then it must suck for them if that's what we want to remember them by. I agree, despite the fact we probably won't get any more reunion episodes. Kinda didn't even realize no one even tried to make a reunion panel this year.

Yeah I really like them having the reunion episodes, even if it is just them staying up late for a couple of hours on skype.

Sober

Yeah I really like them having the reunion episodes, even if it is just them staying up late for a couple of hours on skype.
Would love an OOTG-style podcast with the old crew just shooting the shit over skype or something too. Doesn't have to be about games, considering where everyone is now, which makes it hard. I don't really care about a formal reunion anymore seeing as it's hard to schedule but you're still likely to bump into a few of them at say, the PAX's every year. (I say that only because I actually met Jeff at PAX East this year).

edit: I guess there were a few Comedy Button episodes where it was a GFW Reunion. I don't think we had one this year though. (April Fool's)

Lothars

GFW / CGW podcast is still the best podcast ever made, Giant Bomb gets close as does Retronauts but for a podcast that was only 3 years. it's impact is substantial.

Agreed. This podcast remains king. During the glory years of gaming, our father the heavenly king of nerdom, Jeff Green, led us. Ziff Davis was the end all be all of gaming Meccas. We shall always remember GFw as the most dynamic magazines to have ever graced the hallowed grounds of the internet. Shit is just all too free to play mambo jumbo nowadays. Mobile gaming has sent us all to shit with micro transactions. It's nice to see japan and sony retaking their thrown recently tho.

Pc gaming has changed. It used to be the silent master race, and now people are overly vocal about it being the master race. Too many dude bros and Moba/minecraft kitties buying alienware shit-tops claiming and raising the pc flag. I want to go back to the cs 1.6 years and play a few rounds with whiskey nerds and ass hole spamming shaggy over garbled voice chat.

Am I alone here?

You should notice there was a proportional increase in "Ryan's" presence on the show...

I'd do anything to hear Shawn Elliot on a regular podcast again. Adding Jeff Green in the mix would almost be too much to ask. Goddamn. Nothing has ever come close to the Brodeo. As much as I love Giant Bomb, at its very best it's not even in the same league as peak GFW.

Atomski

Agreed. This podcast remains king. During the glory years of gaming, our father the heavenly king of nerdom, Jeff Green, led us. Ziff Davis was the end all be all of gaming Meccas. We shall always remember GFw as the most dynamic magazines to have ever graced the hallowed grounds of the internet. Shit is just all too free to play mambo jumbo nowadays. Mobile gaming has sent us all to shit with micro transactions. It's nice to see japan and sony retaking their thrown recently tho.

Pc gaming has changed. It used to be the silent master race, and now people are overly vocal about it being the master race. Too many dude bros and Moba/minecraft kitties buying alienware shit-tops claiming and raising the pc flag. I want to go back to the cs 1.6 years and play a few rounds with whiskey nerds and ass hole spamming shaggy over garbled voice chat.

Am I alone here?

If this is all you see from PC gaming today then yes.. you are alone here.

I'm glad they stopped the PAX panels because they aren't popular anymore but I agree some podcasts would be great. They've all fallen off the radar for me, bar Green with his streaming.

Andrew.

Banned

That really sucks if that's the case. Why would he not want to be associated with that part of his life anymore? I mean if anything, his stint at GFW is what propelled him into the design sector of the industry. These guys are definitely not has-beens. They're pivotal voices in the community and I will always see them that way no matter what.

That really sucks if that's the case. Why would he not want to be associated with that part of his life anymore? I mean if anything, his stint at GFW is what propelled him into the design sector of the industry. These guys are definitely not has-beens. They're pivotal voices in the community and I will always see them that way no matter what.
They're not has beens but the GFW Radio brand is. Better to not milk it if the demand isn't there like it used to be.

This is just in reference to PAX Panels I should add.

Top Bottom