• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Layden (President SCEA) wearing Crash Bandicoot t-shirt at PSX...

i don't think he just wears the T-Shirt without thinking, before hand they choose that he wears that shirt

i think E3 will have some nice surprises, maybe 3 new Titles (Sony Bend, Naughty Dog (they are devoloping a game none related to TloU for quite some time) and Santa Monica)

i think they want Microsoft to do the next step first, because in my opinion they have announced more than enough new games this year

i don't think he just wears the T-Shirt without thinking, before hand they choose that he wears that shirt

i think E3 will have some nice surprises, maybe 3 new Titles (Sony Bend, Naughty Dog (they are devoloping a game none related to TloU for quite some time) and Santa Monica)

i think they want Microsoft to do the next step first, because in my opinion they have announced more than enough new games this year

Plus he had a long sleeve shirt underneath. For him to just whack on a shirt last minute without any thought would be incredibly silly. This was a clear tease. Plus he left it on afterwards when he came onto the post discussion stream.

vypek

I feel like we might see Sucker Punch at E3 as well

Raylan

Banned

300 people are/were working on Uncharted 4. You will be happy if you see a teaser trailer of their next game at E3 2017

Possible reveal at E3 2016: Sond Bend, Sony Santa Monica, Sucker Punch

300 people are/were working on Uncharted 4. You will be happy if you see a teaser trailer of their next game at E3 2017

i can't say, i just know that they are parallel working on a second title, i mean Guerilla also has more teams why not Naughty dog ?

on top of that E3 is a few month after release of Uncharted, so practically they can at least give a teaser to us :)

i can't say, i just know that they are parallel working on a second title, i mean Guerilla also has more teams why not Naughty dog ?

on top of that E3 is a few month after release of Uncharted, so practically they can at least give a teaser to us :)

I thought all hands were on deck with Uncharted 4. With a few members throwing ideas round for TLAU.

I'm betting Crash is being worked on by Sony Bend or Sanzaru. Or Mark Cerny's team.

I thought all hands were on deck with Uncharted 4. With a few members throwing ideas round for TLAU.

I'm betting Crash is being worked on by Sony Bend or Sanzaru. Or Mark Cerny's team.

No, they are not. They are small studio and rumored to be developing open world Horror game.

No, they are not. They are small studio and rumored to be developing open world Horror game.

Ok maybe not Sony Bend then, one of the other two! lol.

Where was this rumour of this Horror title? I missed that bit of news. Them being a small studio doesn't mean much to be fair. I think they are capable of a Crash game. If they can make a really good uncharted vita game, I don't see them having any issue taking on a Crash game.

Sony: Here is Shenmue 3, The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy 7 HD Remake.

Gamers: OK. But what about Crash Bandicoot?

I spent about 5 times more of my childhood playing Crash Bandicoot than Final Fantasy 7 or any Shenmue game. I didn't even know Shenmue existed till I joined GAF lol.

I'm way more excited for Crash than FF. Even though FF7 is one of my favourite jrpgs of all time. Haha

i know it's pretty old, but it's officially from Naughty Dog

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/02/naughty-dog-reveals-it-has-a-new-game-in-development

somewhere else i have read that it's not TloU 2

Hmmm, interesting. Although Colin does mention at the end the possibility that this is just people starting work on the sequel to TLoU.

I read somewhere that Naughty Dog do not at all want to go back to their cartoony type games anymore. They have both feet forward in cinematic and storytelling, mature games. I'll be very, very surprised if ND are the ones making it.

Hmmm, interesting. Although Colin does mention at the end the possibility that this is just people starting work on the sequel to TLoU.

I read somewhere that Naughty Dog do not at all want to go back to their cartoony type games anymore. They have both feet forward in cinematic and storytelling, mature games. I'll be very, very surprised if ND are the ones making it.

then let's just wait, we will know soon enough :)

There's no way in hell that all of ND's employees (300+) worked on Uncharted 4 at the same time. Character and environment artists have moved on to the next game(s) a long time ago. They probably don't need 100% of their programmers on the game at this time either. I'm sure a good chunk is already coding for their next game (s).

ND had also mentioned that they worried about people getting lead roles as they expand their careers, so they have to give them some lead roles so they retain talent. Druckmann and Straley can't be the only directors for every ND game.

Also, I don't think Sony would cut a deal with Activision where Sony develops the game and Activision keeps the IP. That's the most unlikely scenario IMO. Sony has a deal with Capcom, Sega, and SE for SFV, Shenmue 3, and FFVII respectively and they are not developing any of those games. Sony would not spend millions of dollars to develop a game back into relevancy to see it go multiplat again.

Either Sony acquired the IP and one of their internal devs (ND) is overseeing it/developing it or they have a deal like the above and Activision will get some shitty developer like Nihilistic to churn out some crap and call it a day.

Sooo....

- Shawn Layden wears a Crash t-shirt
- Naughty Dog changes it's profile pic to Crash
- Devs were not allowed to include Crash into that awful Tony Hawk game
- Insiders are teasing a E3 reveal since quite some time

Yep, it's happening.

Didn't Shuhei Yoshida dress up as Crash as well?

I agree. One more big thing to round out the rule of threes. What is it?

Syphon Filter reboot using the Uncharted engine. That would be more of a megaton to me than Crash, to be honest.

This being as recent as it is kind of makes me think they probably have not bought it.

So neither Sony can use it (Uncharted 4) or Activision (THPS5) apparently. MS bought the IP!

Plus he had a long sleeve shirt underneath. For him to just whack on a shirt last minute without any thought would be incredibly silly. This was a clear tease. Plus he left it on afterwards when he came onto the post discussion stream.

It was clearly deliberate -- I think everyone's in agreement on that by now.

Sanzaru or Cerny are my favored choices, as I've said before. If it is Sony Bend I'll be genuinely shocked. Like, blown away.

Sony: Here is Shenmue 3, The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy 7 HD Remake.

Gamers: OK. But what about Crash Bandicoot?

I spent about 5 times more of my childhood playing Crash Bandicoot than Final Fantasy 7 or any Shenmue game. I didn't even know Shenmue existed till I joined GAF lol.

I'm way more excited for Crash than FF. Even though FF7 is one of my favourite jrpgs of all time. Haha

Same here. To me, Shenmue, TLG and FF7R were significant but a big part of their significance PERSONALLY was "Okay, now my thing also looks realistic".

So neither Sony can use it (Uncharted 4) or Activision (THPS5) apparently. MS bought the IP!

Ha, no. Really unlikely.

NIGHT-

Sooo....

- Shawn Layden wears a Crash t-shirt
- Naughty Dog changes it's profile pic to Crash
- Devs were not allowed to include Crash into that awful Tony Hawk game
- Insiders are teasing a E3 reveal since quite some time

Yep, it's happening.

I don't even want naughty dog to be the developer, they're definitely not the same company. I'd rather them stay on the path they're on.

Aaaaaaaand...

Crash-Bandicoot.png

The evidence just keeps mounting up. Sony isn't even being coy about it anymore.

Now we've got to wait half a bloody year until we get to see the game and find out who's developing it/who owns the IP rights. Well, in all likelihood anyway. There's always the chance it'll be revealed before or after E3 I suppose.
Where is this from?

Sony would never tease us with something unless they were planning to relaunch a franchise!

Vib-Ribbon.jpg

If you're implicating Vib Ribbon as an example of why nobody should think this, you realize they did actually do something with it shortly thereafter, right?

Sagroth

It may mean we'll see Crash again in some form in a year, but not necessarily in his own game.

My supposition here is based entirely upon Phil Spencer wearing a Battletoads shirt to E3 2015 and then the KI Battletoads announcement the following year, so grains of salt and all that.

It may mean we'll see Crash again in some form in a year, but not necessarily in his own game.

My supposition here is based entirely upon Phil Spencer wearing a Battletoads shirt to E3 2015 and then the KI Battletoads announcement the following year, so grains of salt and all that.

I still personally think the Battletoads stuff will lead to their own game as well, honestly.

That being said, I don't think we can directly compare the two, as although the tease method is the same, I think the meaning behind the two games is a bit different -- Battletoads isn't really a prominent Xbox thing, it's a prominent Rare thing and that happens to be where it is. I think they'll do nicely with it, of course, but to me, Crash is a little more important to PlayStation and carries a heavier connotation off of a tease for a PS conference than Battletoads is or does to Xbox itself.

With you guys!

Right on, brother :)

Will Crash Bandicoot become the next Shenmue 3/FFVII/TLG?

Already has, in my eyes. It's been teased directly by reliable sources though, so I think it won't hold the title long before dropping it. It'll be a jobber run.

Ah, thanks. I think this was the launch TV ad in the UK. That's some detective work to see that, I'd have never noticed it.

Yeah, the detective work was actually encouraged by PlayStation, but people found that sign amazingly quick, before the "50 easter eggs" was even a thing.

border

If you're implicating Vib Ribbon as an example of why nobody should think this, you realize they did actually do something with it shortly thereafter, right?

Layden specifically said that Vib Ribbon was not mentioned with the intent of a new release. It wasn't even an intentional tease. After the backlach they did a US PS3 version to satisfy Twitter complainers, then never bothered to bring it to PS4. So yeah, it's entirely possible that the shirt was just a shoutout to the platform's heritage, and Layden has previously made similar moves that he didn't think people would read much into.

I'd note that what people are imagining here is a project way beyond the scope of a PS1 port.

Layden specifically said that Vib Ribbon was not mentioned with the intent of a new release. It wasn't even an intentional tease. After the backlach they did a US PS3 version to satisfy Twitter complainers, then never bothered to bring it to PS4. So yeah, it's entirely possible that the shirt was just a shoutout to the platform's heritage, and Layden has made moves that he didn't think people would read much into.

I'd note that what people are imagining here is a project way beyond the scope of a PS1 port.

I wasn't comparing the two, just claiming similar precedent. That being said, it's disappointing that he says that, though to my credit I was told the Vib Ribbon shirt was worn on a stage show. I see now that it wasn't -- that's a bit different.

And further still, when you read the article itself, you kind of start to realize he's smart enough to learn from that mistake -- hell, the twitter reactions are an inset photo in the article.

I take this to show the deliberate nature of the Crash shirt. Shawn knows from experience the reaction he was going to get.

I think he wore it purposely to announce it at E3 and troll Phil Spencer for teasing Battletoads and not delivering

I don't think they're that vindicti- hang on, I just remembered the "how to trade games" video.

SNURB

You'd know what be cool to see? Imagine if the game goes for a cel-shaded route like Sly Cooper. We could have a living, breathing cartoon!

As a matter of fact, that was Radical's initiative when they were rebooting Crash before it got canned sadly.

You'd know what be cool to see? Imagine if the game goes for a cel-shaded route like Sly Cooper. We could have a living, breathing cartoon!

As a matter of fact, that was Radical's initiative when they were rebooting Crash before it got canned sadly.

I would love a cel shaded game. The Infamous team would do a really good job with Crash.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Honestly, I was just pissed off in the audience when the conference ended because of that shirt. I'll forgive them if this is leading to an E3 2016 Crash announcement where Sony has acquired the IP. The FF7 troll leading to an announcement ended up being pretty epic. If they go radio silent about Crash though... grrrrr.

Oh, and while we're speculating about studios... I'll throw my hat in the ring for Sucker Punch to be the dev team.

RK128

Regarding Battletoads, its clear that Battletoads alongside Sea of Thieves and a new IP/IP Reboot/Sequel (Kameo, Perfect Dark, Banjo & Kazooie) is coming out of Rare in the future. Too much is pointing to Battletoads coming back (three apperences in 2015; Shovel Knight X1, Killer Instinct and Rare Replay).

Going back to Crash, I honestly see this set up happening for the series:
-Sony announces that Crash is home again (Sony owns the rights to the IP) at E3 2016; tease the announcement leading up to E3 with musical hints in Sony published games coming out (Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 4, ect)
-Crash Bandicoot is announced; Co-Developed by Naughty Dog and Sanzaru Games/Insomniac Games. New installment in the series that takes nods to the original trilogy but does new things and takes ideas from the Jak series (more open levels for example).
-Crash Bandicoot is the new 'face' of PlayStation again right next to Ratchet & Clank
-Crash Movie, Cartoon and Merchandise is announced; Cartoon and Merchandise releases early 2017 while the Movie releases after the Sly Cooper Film (likely releasing in Early 2017). Sony Animated Pictures produces the film (in the works since 2014) and Naughty Dog oversees production of the film
-Crash gets cameo's in PS Exclusives going forward, 2016 has PS2 Crash Games (Twinsanity, Wrath of Cortex, Nitro Kart, Tag Team Racing) and PS1 Games (Crash 1-3, CTR, Crash Bash) all coming to PS4 throughout 2016

border

Regarding Battletoads, its clear that Battletoads alongside Sea of Thieves and a new IP/IP Reboot/Sequel (Kameo, Perfect Dark, Banjo & Kazooie) is coming out of Rare in the future. Too much is pointing to Battletoads coming back (three apperences in 2015; Shovel Knight X1, Killer Instinct and Rare Replay).

Those are appearances strictly meant to placate long-time fans, because Microsoft isn't crazy enough to throw actual money at a game based on a vaguely-remembered early 90's Ninja Turtles ripoff.

Putting Conker in Project Spark didn't bring us any closer to a Conker game.

Going back to Crash, I honestly see this set up happening for the series:
-Sony announces that Crash is home again (Sony owns the rights to the IP) at E3 2016; tease the announcement leading up to E3 with musical hints in Sony published games coming out (Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 4, ect)
-Crash Bandicoot is announced; Co-Developed by Naughty Dog and Sanzaru Games/Insomniac Games. New installment in the series that takes nods to the original trilogy but does new things and takes ideas from the Jak series (more open levels for example).
-Crash Bandicoot is the new 'face' of PlayStation again right next to Ratchet & Clank
-Crash Movie, Cartoon and Merchandise is announced; Cartoon and Merchandise releases early 2017 while the Movie releases after the Sly Cooper Film (likely releasing in Early 2017). Sony Animated Pictures produces the film (in the works since 2014) and Naughty Dog oversees production of the film
-Crash gets cameo's in PS Exclusives going forward, 2016 has PS2 Crash Games (Twinsanity, Wrath of Cortex, Nitro Kart, Tag Team Racing) and PS1 Games (Crash 1-3, CTR, Crash Bash) all coming to PS4 throughout 2016

The likelihood of Activision selling the IP back to Sony is slim-to-none, and the likelihood of Sony having Naughty Dog spend time on a Crash game seems even lower. That'd be like having re-assigning Tom Brady to be the New England Patriots waterboy.

Top Bottom