• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Layden says he has played Death Stranding

Really excited for this game. Can't even imagine what it will play like.

I do feel like the hype might hurt the game, though. Whatever Kojima produces with be special no doubt, but we should keep our expectations in check.

Marcel

What? That's the exact opposite of what they need to do. Let him go absolutely insane.

I'm willing to give Kojima the benefit of the doubt but let's not pretend his insane ambitions weren't at least part of the problem with regards to MGSV being such a mess.

Man I don't want to know or see a thing about this game. But of course there will end up being GAF threads that have titles like "DS is a .... type game!!!!11!"

yuraya

Most dissapointing and boring game this gen.
solid gameplay doesnt mean jackshit when the world and mission design is trash.
Not to mention the worse freaking bosses ( there was 2 bosses right? ) In any mgs game.
Getting released after goat W3 didnt help either. Maybe in a alternative timeline were w3 didn't get released it would have been fine to accept the mediocrity of the open world in mgsv.
While we are at it, I thought GZ was much better.

Technically speaking there was 8 boss fights. Even more if you want to nitpick. Like 4 of them you can completely avoid using stealth. Which is actually a very refreshing and unique experience as far as open world games go.

Witcher 3 and MGSV are completely different open world games which execute very different things. Different genres as well so there is no point in directly comparing them.

Ground Zeroes is MGSV. They are one and the same. So the fact that people like it so much just shows how great MGSV is as a complete package.

Breakage

Yes but Sony is a business... the last thing they need is Kojima going on a spending spree. Make sure he's progressing at a decent pace.
I never understood the whole "fuck Konami" movement. It seems Kojima was spending money as if he didn't give a shit.

Marcel

I never understood the whole "fuck Konami" movement. It seems Kojima was spending money as if he didn't give a shit.

You can blame both. You can also shit on Konami for being much more petty and bitter post-MGSV release. Did you really not hear about Konami playing politics and preventing Kojima Productions from getting health insurance for their employees?

Breakage

You can blame both. You can also shit on Konami for being much more petty and bitter post-MGSV release. Did you really not hear about Konami playing politics and preventing Kojima Productions from getting health insurance for their employees?
Nah I didn't. I'm sure Konami acted in a bad way too. I just don't buy the idea that Kojima was 100% innocent. The fuck Konami stuff suggested that imo. But anyway let's hope it's not repeated at Sony.

SJRB

Gold Member
I couldn’t explain to you what the game is…

..is probably one of the most exciting things he could've said about the game. It's going to be crazy, Kojima-tier insanity indeed.

oti

Banned
"I have played it. And by 'it' I mean the first quarter of the first cutscene. It's about bananas and futuristic soldiers. Futuristic soldier bananas."

I'm willing to give Kojima the benefit of the doubt but let's not pretend his insane ambitions weren't at least part of the problem with regards to MGSV being such a mess.

"Mess" is the last word I'd use to describe MGSV.

The cut additional ending was a bummer, but the game as a whole? Incredible. Peace Walker already held a special place in my heart, but Phantom Pain took it to a whole new level.

ExInferus

this only started development/pre-prod. last year, right? So probably still 3 years off, if not more. Kojima takes his time

I just want to know the genre.
I'm expecting Kojima to implement a lot of the things he learned about movement and such in MGSV.
He's said he's going to be a mature action game or something to that effect. I mean, I at least hope Kojima realizes he was into something when he made V, and that type of movement in a more complete game (that's also not tied down to two decades worth of narrative baggage) could be heckin awesome.

Masagiwa

I am not expecting this game to be groundbreaking. Does anyone even know how many people are working on this title? Is this an AAA looking indie title?

Hideo Kojima is brilliant but I am positive he doesn't have the amount of people and resources he did at Konami.

mortal

Gold Member
This is the game that I'm anticipating the most.

It's honestly impressive how much progress Kojima and his team have made since the falling out with Konami. Just a year ago they didn't even have a complete team, studio space, or an official engine for the project. Now they've designed running prototypes.

Obviously, this game is a ways out from release, so I wish Kojima and his team the best of luck and hope that development goes as smooth as possible.

I'm sure using GG's Decima engine really helped because Kojima doesn't need to take time building a new engine and the engine is awesome, the game should look and perform very well.

Burned by what exactly?

The greatest stealth game of all time?
The best gameplay in any game ever?
Or was it because its the only open world game on consoles that runs @ 60fps this gen?

*does the eighth Destroy the Enemy Tank Squadron mission while waiting a full 24 in-game hours for their next gear upgrade*

Best gameplay in any game ever!

I remember when this game was announced and thinking "this isn't coming out until 2019". Now it's, "I don't think this game is coming out until 2021".

I think 2019 is possible. That's still a 4 year dev cycle, I could see it being a crossgen game in 2020 though.

1cirCpGwf.jpg

Cerny also played the game and said that "it is a Hideo Kojima game indeed".
Gameplay and female lead reveal at PSX for sure. I also need to see Madds and Reedus togheter in a scene.

Because every game in Kojima's 30+ year career went well over budget. SMH.

And even if MGSV's budget is real, it's not bad at all. 80m for an open-world game developed on a new engine and released on five different platforms simultaneously? Oh, and every version of the game is pretty damn polished. That seems pretty damn good.

Top Bottom