• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

She-Hulk Lead Tatiana Maslany Thinks Season 2 Is Unlikely

LordCBH

The collapse of marvel is interesting. We see, in real time, just how little the customer base wants “girlboss” shit.

Looks like she's going to have to go back to waitressing..
She will be fine. Some people here don't know that she had a decent acting career before Marvel, especially from her most popular show where she played 7 different characters all convincingly well.

giphy.gif

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
When you think how much it cost to make the absolutely fucking stellar Godzilla Minus1 which has some fantastic CGI, great sets, brilliant actors and a kick ass story and was made for less than half the budget of a single Marvel/Disney TV show aka $15mil for a full blown movie in comparison to $35mil for a single Secret Invasion episode... Something is seriously wrong or somebody is taking the biscuit...

RavageX

I watched a bit of it. The main is a pretty good actor considering what does into playing a cg character.

As a show, I dont like it much. I dont think it strays much from the source character either. Ppl made a HUGE fuss about She Hulk twerking, but I from what I gather...the source character probably would too.

I was glad to see Daredevil, but I kinda see him as a "different" daredevil that the netflix series so it didnt bother me with how he was behaving.

I just dont think im really a fan of the character. Not saying its bad, its just not for me. Story from what i gather has its points. People notice She Hulk but not so much Jennifer(?). Makes sense.

BUT for me, I expect to see super heroes doing more superhero stuff. I saw some of that but not enough for my liking. She is a lawyer, ok so was Daredevil and they kept the show interesting.

I think the main problem is they didnt have a target audience. Who exactly was this for?

Plus, it did look extremely expensive. Some of it was probably unnecessary. Sometimes the character model looked well done, and sometimes not so much imo.

kunonabi

In theory it should have had pretty decent appeal. A well done court show about a single female lawyer with comedy and romance should have appealed to women and the sassy, sexy ass-kicking amazon super-hero element should have won over the guys. Problem is they hired writers who just wanted to dunk on "the chuds" and had no idea how to write a courtroom drama or appealing characters and well here we are.

In short: Ally McBeal + tits and spandex = profit. Not exactly rocket science.

Toons

Well I'm hoping she ends up wrong, show was pretty unique and while it had its flaws i enjoyed it. Very close to comics she hulk.

Im sure we'll see her turn up elsewhere regardless

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I like She-Hulk and enjoyed watching this show with my daughter, it was very funny.

But the budget was genuinely outrageous for the show it was. $25m an episode? Yeah I wouldn't renew either if I ran Disney.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
When you think how much it cost to make the absolutely fucking stellar Godzilla Minus1 which has some fantastic CGI, great sets, brilliant actors and a kick ass story and was made for less than half the budget of a single Marvel/Disney TV show aka $15mil for a full blown movie in comparison to $35mil for a single Secret Invasion episode... Something is seriously wrong or somebody is taking the biscuit...
It's harder to justify in an era of binge watching where it becomes very obvious, but I think a lot if shows need to go back to the old TV standard of "30 seconds of REALLY GOOD effects" that get looped into each episode. Remember the old (old) Battlestar Galactica? They had like a minute MAX of pro level ship combat footage and damned if they didn't use it over and over in various snippets. And I still remember almost all of it. Same with the transformation sequences of shows like The Incredible Hulk, Animal, Werewolf, vehicle footage on Airwolf, Street Hawk, etc.

Get a couple of good stunts and effects, then write good (well, entertaining at least) stories around that stuff and you don't need 25 mill per ep.

Imagine if they had just painted a female bodybuilder green, how many more millions would they have in the bank and a show with the same, if not better, ratings?

DJ12

It boggles the mind how much money Disney spent on these rubbish shows. Secret Invasion cost an incredible $35 million per episode - and it still looks like like a low budget CW TV show. Where the hell did all that money go? Not to the writers or CGI production companies.
has youtube GIF

wondermega

It's harder to justify in an era of binge watching where it becomes very obvious, but I think a lot if shows need to go back to the old TV standard of "30 seconds of REALLY GOOD effects" that get looped into each episode. Remember the old (old) Battlestar Galactica? They had like a minute MAX of pro level ship combat footage and damned if they didn't use it over and over in various snippets. And I still remember almost all of it. Same with the transformation sequences of shows like The Incredible Hulk, Animal, Werewolf, vehicle footage on Airwolf, Street Hawk, etc.

Get a couple of good stunts and effects, then write good (well, entertaining at least) stories around that stuff and you don't need 25 mill per ep.

Imagine if they had just painted a female bodybuilder green, how many more millions would they have in the bank and a show with the same, if not better, ratings?
They had kind of painted themselves into a corner with this whole premise. They had to CGI the character, it would look inconsistent with the rest of the MCU otherwise. I mean, it's not impossible that they could have got it looking really good, but it would never match up and would always stick out like a sore thumb, critics would bring it up as a point to complain about whenever the character was potentially used elsewhere (in comics, she's been an Avenger, member of the Fantastic Four, etc).

They also knew they were never gonna get away with this show if they showed her in Hulk form very occasionally, or spent the majority of the time focusing on characters other than her.

So, what we got was a compromise. A couple of episodes with a "little bit of super hero action," and most of the rest of the time the CGI character is walking around, sitting at her desk, etc. This would not have been so jarring had she not been, well, a Hulk (known for things like picking up cars, ripping lampposts out of the side of the road, etc). And I believe they could have pulled it off a bit better with (significantly) better writing - but what would be the point? Enough people already enjoyed the show considering it's pedigree. Obviously not enough to go further with it, but even so it's not universally panned, far from it.

Anyway it was a pretty bold experiment. A failure, to me a disappointment (to me, writing sucked and lack of action) but at least they went pretty hard considering what they were attempting. I still think the potential was there. Not sad to see them discontinue it, considering what it was.

trikster40

Best episode was the Daredevil episode.

The 4th wall breaking was horrible. The Office did it better, and you can't compete with Deadpool doing it. It was a dumb idea.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The 4th wall breaking was horrible. The Office did it better, and you can't compete with Deadpool doing it. It was a dumb idea.
...She-hulk did the 4th wall breaking before deadpool, in fact she was the first one to do it, it's one of her signature things in the comics; the fact that they adapted that properly is one of the few good things about the show.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It boggles the mind how much money Disney spent on these rubbish shows. Secret Invasion cost an incredible $35 million per episode - and it still looks like like a low budget CW TV show. Where the hell did all that money go? Not to the writers or CGI production companies.
You gotta remember the new employees on those teams get paid more then the experts did back in 2012 and take longer to achieve what you see on screen so the money does go to those companies.
This is also the case for video game development.
With Japan being the exception.

Tams

They had kind of painted themselves into a corner with this whole premise. They had to CGI the character, it would look inconsistent with the rest of the MCU otherwise. I mean, it's not impossible that they could have got it looking really good, but it would never match up and would always stick out like a sore thumb, critics would bring it up as a point to complain about whenever the character was potentially used elsewhere (in comics, she's been an Avenger, member of the Fantastic Four, etc).

They also knew they were never gonna get away with this show if they showed her in Hulk form very occasionally, or spent the majority of the time focusing on characters other than her.

So, what we got was a compromise. A couple of episodes with a "little bit of super hero action," and most of the rest of the time the CGI character is walking around, sitting at her desk, etc. This would not have been so jarring had she not been, well, a Hulk (known for things like picking up cars, ripping lampposts out of the side of the road, etc). And I believe they could have pulled it off a bit better with (significantly) better writing - but what would be the point? Enough people already enjoyed the show considering it's pedigree. Obviously not enough to go further with it, but even so it's not universally panned, far from it.

Anyway it was a pretty bold experiment. A failure, to me a disappointment (to me, writing sucked and lack of action) but at least they went pretty hard considering what they were attempting. I still think the potential was there. Not sad to see them discontinue it, considering what it was.

...She-hulk did the 4th wall breaking before deadpool, in fact she was the first one to do it, it's one of her signature things in the comics; the fact that they adapted that properly is one of the few good things about the show.

The problem is that the writers wanted to stamp their agenda on it, and aren't very good writers anyway.

nush

The series was based on John Byrne's She Hulk, which was doing the fourth wall breaking a decade before Joe Kelly reinvented Deadpool to do it.

Deadpool (The movie(s)) did it better and first as far as the general audience is aware. It's not a new gimmick anymore. In She Hulk it was used egregiously and ad nauseam.

deoxxys

Neo Member
Every where I go people dunk on marvel shows now.... Except for gamefaqs, lots of simps there. Okay well a decent bit of others dunk on it but they absolutely refuse to acknowledge that it's because Disney over forces diversity and really pushes the female empowerment thing. They will unironically call you a chud. I realize there's other reasons besides this such as obviously the writing, but it makes it infinitely harder when their primary priorities are obvious.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I am still waiting on The Marvels to get to Disney+. Taking forever.

Their release windows take too damn long.

Neon Xenon

The problem is that the writers wanted to stamp their agenda on it, and aren't very good writers anyway.

Agreed. One of the biggest problems with She-Hulk: Attorney at Law is the writing. I don't see how it could be a surprise to anyone that people saw a scene like her rant in the first episode (a scene that feels like it was specifically engineered for Twitter goblins to post screencaps or clips of and saying how relatable it is), and dismissed the rest of the show from that point.

With shows similar to She-Hulk: Attorney at Law, these shows seem to have at least one similar moment of condescending dialogue and buzzword-dropping, scenes that have become common to the point of being seen more as posturing, cynical and embarrassing than being even remotely enlightening or progressive. You have to wonder if the writers and producers behind these projects actually know (or care) that this bad writing is turning people off. Or maybe that their strategy is "mash until it works" (it didn't, in this case).

With a major villain of this show turning out to be a toothless dig at "da trollz" and "da haterz" online, that doesn't signal a moment of writing genius, that just makes the writers and producers behind this sound like Darksydephil. And what did all of that get this show? It sure wasn't a second season.

I think the most frustrating part of observing shows like this is that there's potential getting undermined by bad writing, and that there's so many examples to criticize that it makes people (rightly) assume that new projects coming down the line from a particular studio or industry are going to fall into the same fundamental writing issues. But are the people in charge going to learn anything from the failures? Probably not.

Marvel14

Banned
It was B tier, not great, not awful- entertaining but not very rewatchable.

Incels everywhere can now rejoice.

Wandavision was the only show that was brilliant. Super clever and original concept and good execution too

Disney may finally be finding its way back to center. If so we should probably thank the Snow White actress . Her extreme wokeness over that horrible oppressive property that built the company that hired her to remake it, finally showed Disney when the left goes too far.

Last edited:

trikster40

she-hulk-smash-matt-murdock-she-hulk-smash.gif

The series was based on John Byrne's She Hulk, which was doing the fourth wall breaking a decade before Joe Kelly reinvented Deadpool to do it.

gt6hxkt7zst91.jpg
I was referring to the movies rather than the comics. I’d rager 95% of the people who watched the show never read one of the comics, so the only comparison they’ve seen on film would be Deadpool.

Top Bottom