• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopeford

Time to pledge $60 for the ps4 physical. It's kind of funny, I'm not even expecting the game to be good precisely but I'm expecting to have tons of fun with it if that makes sense. Not even in a "making fun o fit" kind of way, more like...in a Deadly Premonition kind of way? Like, where even the flaws are charming and full of personality? Yeah, I'm gonna go with that.

I'm at the beach but just spent a few mins getting caught up on everything. To be clear, all of Kotaku is off today, and we've got a guest freelancer running the site, so posts aren't going through the regular editorial process. As you guys saw, I expressed my feelings in the comments.

Man, must be tough to not be able to take a day off without something like this happening. Hope your other days off are better!

master15

Already watched it! Made it a habit to achieve these in-game at some point or another. Really cool that so much can be missed even after playing for years.

Yeah same here, there's a lot to see and do that can't be done in one or two play throughs. They really deigned the first game in particular around all different types of contingencies. The fact there is unique dialogue regarding every major and minor plot point is pretty astounding.

Unrelated am I the only one that really enjoyed the first two games free battle combat? I was watching this excellent fight clip package and was getting excited what Suzuki can cook up for the 3rd game. Shenmue II was much more action orientated. Although Ryo starts off in rural China I wonder if he will have as many encounters.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Wow great day today. Glad to see they delivered a ps4 copy today as i was hoping. Very rare for such a large bump to happen in the middle of the campaign.

Loving this new show Mr. Robot so this gif fits right.

giphy.gif

Crazy how fast the "get your picture in the game" tier all went.

BGSfxpY.png

Seems nobody wants to be a Lucky Hit stand quite as much though...

aKKR8K0.png

I don't get it actually. I mean yes, 4000$ is a lot of money, but your actual face will be in the game for everyone to hate when they loose at Lucky Hit.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I don't get it actually. I mean yes, 4000$ is a lot of money, but your actual face will be in the game for everyone to hate when they loose at Lucky Hit.

Maybe Peter Moore was one of them? He just wrote on Twitter that he has pledged money into the Kickstarter. ;)

hamchan

WOW, this Kickstarter got a huge bump while I was sleeping. Well done Shenmue fanbase!

Also I said I would give money if a PS4 physical edition appeared and so I shall. Have my $60 Shenmue 3.

Xieldos

Really wish I had the money to go for the NPC tier, that would be so awesome to be apart of Shenmue 3 and see yourself get beat up by Ryo

BrunoM

In Shenmue II the Lucky Hit boards had illustrations of dragons and shit like that. Not JPEGs of some nerd's face.
Not sure it would be a jpeg it could be a Japanese inspired drawing of the backer ...

Somehow I feel that would go much better with every one ..

And of they want to make a killing do an 8000 or so tier for let's say 5 of us could be the owner so an in game person owning running the games stand on the street ...

With this game there's so many levels of getting fans to fall for tiers that in other games would be no way to even add ...

In other words Suzuki ... We wanna give you more money give us an excuse lol

John Dunbar

correct about everything
In Shenmue II the Lucky Hit boards had illustrations of dragons and shit like that. Not JPEGs of some nerd's face.

i agree. especially since there's 15 slots. how many of these are going to be in the game? should just have actual lucky hit boards as rewards (of course you can make or buy them for a lot less money that 4 grand).

Futurematic

God, I remember playing Shenmue on my Dreamcast back in the day and a) losing my shit over the arcade games and the level of detail, b) realizing yet again that I never really liked Virtua Figher style fighting games but if I had to learn I would for because the rest was so good, and c) murderous rage over the forklift, lol.

(Random counterfactual of the day: Microsoft buys Sega circa 1997 as Trojan horse living room box (instead of WebTV), MS-Sega alliance presents a proper fight against the PS2 and we get Shenmue 3 in 2004 or so. Plus the PowerPC/3dfx version of the Dreamcast, I imagine.)

Understand your frustration, though I think it says something about current editorial process if this guest freelancer is only one running the site today with the keys to the kingdom.
I don't know if any of them still do games journalism freelancing, but there's a huge contingent of older freelancers that used to do reviews, articles, features, etc back when the money was decent and magazines were around (in the US): why not find some of the those guys with great track records and see if any of them would like to run the site on holidays?

(I'm on mobile, so tougher to look up, but Jeff Green's cohort more or less.)

Xieldos

Almost at $4.1m now, I was hoping we'd break $4m today but didn't expect much more.

So great to see Shenmue's fanbase is very much alive and well after a decade and half of waiting.

_Ryo_

The waiting area and the lucky hit tiers are backwards. It seems like you can have any image you want (that you drew) in the Chobu waiting area but you have to have your face on the lucky hit board? Wouldn't it be more realistic to have your actual picture in the waiting area and an art piece on the lucky hit board?

Rymuth

The Chi You Men must be at some COBRA level shit if they have recruits from all over the world. I guess that's more a reasonable explanation than making us be some random NPC in some rural village.

Oriel

BGSfxpY.png

aKKR8K0.png

I suppose if you can afford the 4k option you might as well go that bit more and pledge 5k for all the cool collectible stuff. Speaking of which there's loads of stuff there that'd I'd love to get but cannot afford right now. YS would be insane not to open some sort of store on their website once this KS is complete to sell. Obviously not the original LE items but t-shirts and the like. They would make a ton.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The power of today's bump:

1000 new backers so far.
275,000 dollars to the campaign.
Average donation rose from $80.17 to where it currently stands at around 84.57.

Kudos to the AJ team on learning from their mistakes, making adjustments and running a much better campaign for the past few days, and embracing the $30 on the 3rd campaign, and working with Suzuki and whoever else to ensure the constant stream of announcements and a physical PS4 release.

The waiting area and the lucky hit tiers are backwards. It seems like you can have any image you want (that you drew) in the Chobu waiting area but you have to have your face on the lucky hit board? Wouldn't it be more realistic to have your actual picture in the waiting area and an art piece on the lucky hit board?

Despite being worded differently, I was under the impression they both meant your face.

BrunoM

This thing is still going up fast, love it and all you. <3.
.. I have never pleaged money for any kick started other than bloodstained ps4 with vita digital ..

And well after leaving Sony theater press event in Toronto I jumped $500 in and well today I just went another 60 in lol ..

We all need to keep this kickstarter alive and tweet retweet post share word of mouth we got to make it as big as possible ...

And as for goals the team needs to add other things like special things to add to the game at odd goals like 4.89m and so on so keeps us going and xhacing feeling like everyday we are making the game bigger and.bigger ..

batfax

I suppose if you can afford the 4k option you might as well go that bit more and pledge 5k for all the cool collectible stuff. Speaking of which there's loads of stuff there that'd I'd love to get but cannot afford right now. YS would be insane not to open some sort of store on their website once this KS is complete to sell. Obviously not the original LE items but t-shirts and the like. They would make a ton.

If they didn't open a backer store for additional items and have Fangamer make replicas of stuff like Goro's T-Shirt, they're just leaving money on the table.

So what are the chances of hitting some of the good stretch goals? Subtitles are nice and all but the villages being expanded sounds like it would be a pretty awesome thing for those of us that like exploring the game world.

I wonder if it'd be too late to drop the price of the lucky hit tier, as I understand Kickstarter don't allow editing of tiers afterwards. It's a nice reward but clearly $4000 is just too much to ask. $2500 or even $2000 would probably have gotten more traction.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
it's pretty funny how the original batch of subtitles were pretty much the first goals, but portuguese was fucked over and only put at 5.1 million. i know it was added later, but you would have thought they would have at least put it at 4.1 or something.

So what are the chances of hitting some of the good stretch goals? Subtitles are nice and all but the villages being expanded sounds like it would be a pretty awesome thing for those of us that like exploring the game world.

We've already hit the first Baisha Village expansion goal, and we are almost half way to the next.

Spaghetti

This was the trump card. I wonder what's next in the final two weeks.
paypal and drm free versions could still be on the horizon. if they're smart, they're working on that for next week to carry the kickstarter into the natural final push high.

hamchan

it's pretty funny how the original batch of subtitles were pretty much the first goals, but portuguese was fucked over and only put at 5.1 million. i know it was added later, but you would have thought they would have at least put it at 4.1 or something.

I would have never put subtitles as a stretch goal in the first place tbh. Seems weird to me.

master15

The power of today's bump:

1000 new backers so far.
275,000 dollars to the campaign.
Average donation rose from $80.17 to where it currently stands at around 84.57.

Kudos to the AJ team on learning from their mistakes, making adjustments and running a much better campaign for the past few days, and embracing the $30 on the 3rd campaign, and working with Suzuki and whoever else to ensure the constant stream of announcements and a physical PS4 release.

Puts it in perspective what an awesome day this has been.

Thanks for the updates and please keep them coming. Anyone going to check out Suzuki's Q&A latter tonight?

addik

Upped my pledge as soon as I woke up to the news!

I was thinking this could increase by 50k-100k because of the 30onthe3rd campaign, but no... for the day, we're looking at an increase of around 300k. Just goes to show that the hunger for a physical copy (and higher tiers) was there.

I hope the momentum gets sustained. 10m is definitely unreachable at this point, but I hope we can hit the higher stretch goals.

IrishNinja

BGSfxpY.png

aKKR8K0.png

they'll get taken, watch! still, so cool seeing the love

who wants balls dropped on their face, really?

lewd

There you go!

RW5ZvTb.png

All I needed was a PS4 physical version. I am glad to now be a backer of Shenmue 3! :D

welcome to the party, pal!

4.1 just like that!

someone just added 10k.

this is what the fuck i'm talkin' bout
more confident than ever about 5 mil being in the bag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom