• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 shatters Kickstarter Game records ; $2 million achieved in 8 hours

NekoFever

Honestly, guys, nobody wants Shenmue and any attempt to revive it will end in failure.

$300 tier represent

Madness

I dont mean to port beg, sorry if it comes off that way. But is this confirmed to be exclusive to PS4 and PC forever?

Nothing is forever but so far seems PS4/PC only. You never know though. It was inevitable it would get that much funding, but now comes the tough part, getting an actual publisher and the tens of millions of more dollars trying to make it an AAA title.

Montresor

So far yes

Looks like Sony is part funding. XBone probably ain't happening.

I see. I would've loved an XB1 version but no biggie since it's clear Sony has been a big part of this initiative.

Good for Shenmue fans! I'll play this on PS4 whenever it comes out.

HelloMeow

IAkAPwq.gif

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I feel pretty confident in saying this KS was more of a thing to show how much demand there is for the game from a tangible financial perspective and convince a publisher to put an investment in this. There's someone else (probably Sony) that's going to foot a significant part of the bill for this.
This is exactly what i'm thinking too.

It's just to see how much of a demand there really is.

Daingurse

I feel pretty confident in saying this KS was more of a thing to show how much demand there is for the game from a tangible financial perspective. There's someone else (probably Sony) that's going to foot a significant part of the bill for this.

Yeah, Sony is probably going to kick in the development funds. This KS was probably mostly to gauge interest. But when all is said and done, I think this will bring in a ton of money.

Converse

Banned
Now we just need a more affordable way to play the first two games while we wait.

Yeah. I feel pretty confident that this'll be a Bayonetta 2 situation (every Wii U owner was clamoring for the first game, since much of the console's audience hadn't played it -- and sure enough, they got it). Shenmue 3 isn't coming until late 2017, so I'd be surprised if there isn't some easier way to play the first two by then, especially considering the age and cult status of the first two games and the story-driven nature of the series. I's important to get the prequels out to a new audience to heighten the impact of the third.

Metal-Geo

"People don't want another Shenmue."

Congrats to the developers and every single backer out there. You guys deserved it.

All those people over the years who said that Shenmue was dead, that it was niche, that only a tiny pocket of fans care about it... they can all officially go suck an egg.

And there you have it, Sega.

Now I just need to find a way to play the first 2. HD collection plzzzzz

Agreed. Played the first on Dreamcast, but they didn't release the second one on DC here in the states and I never had an original Xbox.

I'd be down for a remaster so I can finally play 2.

oldergamer

The money is to make a proof of concept in order to get more money to make the actual game. It's a little odd, but there's a still a chance after spending the 2 million that the game never gets made.

Juicy Bob

What a fucking amazing time to be a gamer.

What we've seen today is that if gamers unite and demand for something - Shenmue 3, The Last Guardian, FFVII Remake - that we will be listened to.

I've never played any of the Shenmue games and probably won't play this one, but I have nothing but good feelings and happiness for everyone on GAF who has longed for the third installment of this franchise. This one's for you.

"People don't want another Shenmue."

Congrats to the developers and every single backer out there. You guys deserved it.

To be fair, I expected a lot more :/
I mean, it seems like a lot of people are willing to buy 100$+ rewards. But in the end, it's still 25k people :/
If each of them translated to a sale, that would be weak :/
I mean in KS standards, that's amazing, but... I can't help to feel like it's Shenmue 3, aka one of the most believed and anticipated title :/

Shadders

I dont mean to port beg, sorry if it comes off that way. But is this confirmed to be exclusive to PS4 and PC forever?

On the KS page it says:

Will there be an Xbox/Wii U/Linux/Mac version for Shenmue 3?
Currently we are planning development only for PC (Windows) and PS4. Other platforms have not been decided yet.

So there's certainly a chance.

To be fair, I expected a lot more :/
I mean, it seems like a lot of people are willing to buy 100$+ rewards. But in the end, it's still 25k people :/
If each of them translated to a sale, that would be weak :/
I mean in KS standards, that's amazing, but... I can't help to feel like it's Shenmue 3, aka one of the most believed and anticipated title :/

It's been 8 hours. 25k backers in that time frame is extremely impressive.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sony and whoever else is obviously already making the game. Everybody that donated probably just put a little money towards the future marketing campaign.

That's what people keep saying (that the $2M is just to get the rest of the funding), but looking at the stretch goals I wonder. Subtitles in various languages as different goals? No skill tree unless they reach $3.5M? No mini games unless they reach $4M? That doesn't sound like a game that already has a big budget waiting for it. Surely a Shenmue 3 backed by a big publisher would already be guaranteed to have those things?

24 hours ago I thought this was a pipe dream, but we've now got a kickstarter and we we've been able to pul this off in a matter of hours. Incredible.

Oh happy day.

Shame SEGA don't see fit to be involved at all. Interested to know the rights issues and how the funding is coming some privately surely..

Also: Ffs Make Shenmue 1 and 2 HD already!

What time did this Kickstarter officially start? I counted 8 hours and 45 minutes as the time it took to reach 2 million.

I'll stop spiting hairs here. CONGRATS YU!!!!

63EcFAu.jpg

YOU MADE IT!

Top Bottom