• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 shatters Kickstarter Game records ; $2 million achieved in 8 hours

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm still worried about what kind of example this sends

well I guess at least some fans are really happy
I'm just as much enthused about this example.

A game that fans clearly want, thwarted by the harsh business concerns of a particular company? That's sad. If they can kickstart success based on a sugar daddy press conference announcement? Bring it the fuck on.

I want to see more "will never happen" crowd funding projects given a platform.

Ah thanks, exact time would be 8 hours and 43 minutes on the dot. Still a mighty impressive number.

And for the record, the fastest kickstarters to reach a million:

jNGUKuB.png

I'm pretty sure Shenmue hit its million dollar target in under an hour, which may put it behind the Pebble Time on this list. Though this chart is also a little outdated as it doesn't list Bloodstained.
Kickstarter site couldnt handle the huge load. Would have def gone even faster if that servers held up

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Fixed the time in the OP, I blame some late-night tiredness affecting my quick math, was off by 10 minutes. XD;

Kickstarter site couldnt handle the huge load. Would have def gone even faster if that servers held up

This is also notable for achieving the 1 million, the site got down'd by Shenmue 3 and was down for 20+ minutes at the start, that probably affected results. As Kickstarter said on Twitter:

qgZhyzT.png

Raxus

I dont mean to port beg, sorry if it comes off that way. But is this confirmed to be exclusive to PS4 and PC forever?

Judging by its appearance at the E3 conference I am assuming Sony is footing some of the bill for the game as well. This is pure speculation though.

Qvoth

i think i'll just back this with the 30 bux, i can think of it like preordering it but with a 50% discount
how do you pay for kickstarter? do you pay after the project is finished? can i use paypal?

How about a stretch goal that includes ports of 1 & 2. I know it says that Sega still owns them, but surely some deal could be made for the right amount of money.

s_mirage

That's what people keep saying (that the $2M is just to get the rest of the funding), but looking at the stretch goals I wonder. Subtitles in various languages as different goals? No skill tree unless they reach $3.5M? No mini games unless they reach $4M? That doesn't sound like a game that already has a big budget waiting for it. Surely a Shenmue 3 backed by a big publisher would already be guaranteed to have those things?

Hmm. I'm backing it at the moment but this is my main concern: I really want to see Shenmue 3, but a Shenmue 3 that does justice to the originals in terms of detail and gameplay. If what we're going to get is going to be the story but a game that's far more bare bones, I'm not sure if I can be enthusiastic. I loved the originals for the total package, not just the story.

varkuriru

I remember in the Bloodstained kickstarter ending stream IGa saying that he was sure there was going to be a game that would surpass his record. And here we are not even a week after lol.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
i think i'll just back this with the 30 bux, i can think of it like preordering it but with a 50% discount
how do you pay for kickstarter? do you pay after the project is finished? can i use paypal?

IIRC your only charged after the campaign is finished and successful.

As for PayPal each Kickstarter sets up their own link for PayPal since PayPal doesn't want native support for Kickstarter because they don't want to deal with the possible headache of issuing refunds when these are suppose to be "donations".

Harmen

Man, so this is actually happening as well.

Holy shit what an E3 is this. I guess the greatness awaits punchline is actually true. This generation is partially litterally kickstarted into another level of greatness.

BriGuy

The success of this, Mighty No. 9, Yooka-Laylee, and Bloodstained prove that there is real unmet demand for these types of games. Take note publishers: not every title has to be some $100 million, open-world multiplayer shooty/stabby extravaganza.

Harmen

Isn't 2 million $ very low for a game like Shenmue 3?

I think hitting a certain budget on kickstarter shows market potential and allows for more funding. People are surely willing to invest in a title that breaks records like this on kickstarter, so I bet the total budget will be much higher.

Shiggy

The success of this, Mighty No. 9, Yooka-Laylee, and Bloodstained prove that there is real unmet demand for these types of games. Take note publishers: not every title has to be some $100 million, open-world multiplayer shooty/stabby extravaganza.

Tell Ubisoft...

Occam

Sony kickstarted the kickstarter. Without Sony endorsing Shenmue III during the conference, it wouldn't have reached its goal this quickly.

Qvoth

IIRC your only charged after the campaign is finished and successful.

As for PayPal each Kickstarter sets up their own link for PayPal since PayPal doesn't want native support for Kickstarter because they don't want to deal with the possible headache of issuing refunds when these are suppose to be "donations".

yeah just finished backing it
the way i see it, i'm basically preordering the game but with a 50% discount (AAA games cost 60) so this is a great deal

ChaosXVI

I still can't believe this is happening...yeah it's going to be AWHILE before it comes out, but at least we now know that it's finally coming someday.

I hope Sony makes some kind of announcement today that they are picking up the rest of the development costs. Probably won't happen, as I'm sure it's some backroom sort of deal going on, but it'd still be nice.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's so ridiculous to think that $2 million is enough to do this.

I'll wait and see but I just don't believe it.

Its not. Its likely nowhere near. Every big kickstarter game probably had significant outside funding or additional added by the studio.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
It would've reached the goal faster if it wasn't for the site's traffic load and the inevitable downtime at the beginning. I tried to pledge for more than 30 minutes. I was about to give up for the night to try again next morning. I'm sure many people did.

If feels amazing that is actually going to happen.

uIOzAfQ.gif

I actually expected this to get funded some time after Nintendo's Digital Event.

I just recently saw my Xbox copy of Shenmue II (also have my Dreamcast PAL import somewhere), but I have no Xbox to play it on.

So happy it got funded that quick. I threw my 29 in 30 min in, would have been sooner if the servers didn't crash.

I wonder how high it will go

Top Bottom