• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III – The 1st Teaser | PS4

KORNdoggy

It has a weird dated charm to it. Like if you took the dreamcast game and litterally JUST improved the assets but paid no attention to current facial animation technology.

Guys the facial animation isn't "bad".

There is no animation. Other than a loan blink or two.

It's clearly not in the game yet.

Look at Shenmue promo or passport disc. Yu likes his facial animation.

People seem to have forgotten this is Yu Suzuki here. Like, really, the game is going to be quite different, technically at release.

cgcg

Great environments, janky ass fuck everything else. Holy shit at the character models, throw them in a dumpster fire pls.

KTallguy

Banned
Trailer looked great, set my expectations super low.

As long as I can continue the story, play some martial arts gameplay, and enjoy the shenmue atmosphere, I'm happy.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Always was too good to be true I guess :(

Animation is total shit tier if not non-existent. Faces, bodies, the lot.

I always said they should have Sonic Mania'd it and made it with all the Dreamcast assets and whatnot, just with better textures and the Passport models. Then we wouldn't have to be looking at this UE4 Student Project.

4THMUHE.gif

omg... i can't stop laughing.
Those human models look hideous. Like fake dolls or something.

I don't give a crap how it looks right now, maybe I'll start worrying when we're a little closer to launch.

The fact that we're getting an actual teaser feels amazing. Can't believe we're actually going to get to play this after such a long wait.

Vespa

Fight choreography looks great. I really don't think the facial and hand animation is close to being finished, there are parts where they seemed locked to their initial pose, like Ryo's eyes are dead center when his head turns in one of the scenes and the hand on the girl is locked to the same pose when she was sitting down grasping the edge of her seat. Just looks early to me.

Aspiring

I don't give a crap how it looks right now, maybe I'll start worrying when we're a little closer to launch.

The fact that we're getting an actual teaser feels amazing. Can't believe we're actually going to get to play this after such a long wait.

Exactly right. Plus besudes some facial models it wasnt bad. Environments and the like look great. Since the kickstarter some people wish it bad luck.

Those character models... yikes. I expected it after the reveal but it's pretty disappointing that they are practically 1-1 with the Dreamcast designs. It's definitely an artistic issue and not a technical one. I mean, look at Yakuza. They've handled that transition to HD realism pretty well while keeping the unique character of the original designs.

This goes beyond being "stylized". It's antiquated and, frankly, kind of ugly.

I mean it is understandable, but don't make those areas the focus of the trailer. Kingdom Come Deliverance (which I would argue is a project of similar scope ) didn't release a cinematic trailer until this year, because they knew how people would react to not not having any facial animation in place.

Reallink

Wonder if Ninja Theory is available for character modeling and performance captures now that Hellblade's done, seems like they would be within Ys Net/Deep Silvers budgets for contract work.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i backed this game because i love shenmue, but i never really believed the game would be great. i mainly hoped for remasters for 1 and 2. this is about what i expected from this game.

the kind of game shenmue deserves just can't be made with 6 million some bucks from a crowdfunding campaign.

poodaddy

Animation and models have a ways to go. That being said, the environments and lighting were beautiful IMO. I'm still hype, and maybe now with some extra money coming in from Deep Silver they can start putting real budget towards modeling and animation.

5? Don't you mean 6?

Either way that's neither here nor there. The game isn't being made at SEGA, and they don't licence the engine out. UE4 was a pretty natural choice like it is for most Japanese developers who don't have the cash to build their own custom solution, or find their custom solution is sorta busted (sup' Capcom. Square Enix).

But like others have said, this is WIP. The YouTube description says as much too. I think we've all kind of forgotten what WIP actually means. Little bit like "play the beta/alpha" totally became fucking meaningless.

That said there's some stuff they shouldn't have put in. Like the bits where they literally haven't even animated the faces yet.

As for why they haven't animated the faces yet, that's... I don't know if this is a secret or not, but YSnet are apparently using face capture rigs, and there's a chance they haven't been able to get a certain actor yet. Shenhua spoke a little in one shot and it looked pretty good. No idea if it was the actress or just a test thing thrown into the video.

I meant to say 6, I have honestly never played any of the Yakuza games up to this point and I had no idea what the current game is numbered. I need to get into that series... but there are like seven Yakuza games now? and I have no idea where to start. But yeah, the Dragon Engine is probably in a state where it can;t really be licensed out. But if Sega decided to do remakes of Shenmue 1 and 2, they could use that engine.

I think Yu made the right choice with UE4 though. Especially on the budget he had to work with. But I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the facial animations were not complete and that they may even have to create some different facial animations for different localized versions of the game. Like Japanese, English (assuming they are going with an English localization?) and others.

Though I do have to say that Ryo's body animation looks pretty good overall and much better than anything from the Dreamcast generation. Shenhua's model looks a bit like a modified poser model. In mean...

iBz8RNd.jpg

BigPete

I actually kind of want it to look just like this at release. There's a sort of retro charm to how bad the character models look. Like they were pulled from 90's 3D animation and dropped into a modern game.

Linkura

At the risk of getting into trouble, its worth it to see some of the shocking reactions ive read over the last 6 pages.

In the name of transparency, I can say that 90% of what was in that trailer we were shown a year ago at the Kickstarter dinner. There is a strategy to what's being shown. If you think this was put together last week that's your business, I am just telling you that the majority of that footage is at least a year old, some even 18 months old now.

Take from it what you will. Also, for those looking for Yakuza level character detail, maybe throw a few extra bucks onto the ongoing PayPal for the game, since this is a low funded title without a multi million dollar development studio behind it.

Oh my Christ. This is just baffling and should be added to the OP.

Jcgamer60

Even the environments need work; It is too clean and realistic looking. They need to dirty it up a bit maybe with a filter. It also lacks the vivid colours of Shenmue II.

Thank you for sharing this, it has put my mind at ease.

I don't know how exactly it put your mind at ease that they went with shitty-looking 18 months old stuff for a new trailer. You're telling me this is the best they could come up with?
What transpired over these 18 months? Is it looking even worse now?

Spaghetti

A point, illustrated with gifs (if they're huge and run like shit I'm sorry, I dunno what's a good optimised size for exporting gifs outta Premiere, and Imgur probably compressed them to shit anyway):

kVTJ2Ov.gif

StEdcWD.gif

The time between the builds seen in these two gifs is the same as between now, and Shenmue III potentially coming out in the end of 2018.

Dy_Cy

If you add the facial animations with your imagination, this scene actually look pretty hype.

People need to stop exagerate when they see early work in progress footage. Then again, it was foolish from the developpers to show such an unfinished work to a big audience, because the reaction was to be expected.

Top Bottom