• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHIFT 2: UNLEASHED |OT| Is there still need for speed?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Corky said:
i7 @ 4.8ghz and two OCed gtx 560s nets me a wonderful sloppy jerky unstable 20-50fps.
One of the fastest times I've uninstalled a game.

Most settings high, 1080p and no AA.

22£ down the drain. I really need to stop buying these EA products.

Recently I've bought :

NFS HP
Bulletstorm
Dead space 2
Shift 2

And dead space 2 was the only game that wasn't a broken mess.
Strange. I run NFS: HP, Shift, and Shift 2 with 8X AA (forced via Nvidia drivers), 1080P, maxed settings at 60FPS on one GTX 560 with an i5 750.

markao

bloodforge said:
Picked this up yesterday on Steam and loving it so far. My only problem is the cockpit view is really freaking dark and I can barely see anything. The other views are nice and bright, but cockpit is really dark.
At least for AMD card, there seems to be an issue with 'Surface Format Optimization" , if you own 5xxx/6xxx card, do not enable it. Nvdia I read alt-tab to desktop and back is an option.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
so is drifting with a wheel an impossible act?

i can't hold a drift for shit.
I had similar feeling prior to recent PC path, added power differential to all cars combined with input lag, unable to drift with wheel, since PC patch tried again yesterday and see below. :D

I read content of PC patch will be brought to consoles in two steps (patches), how many did you have, just 1 ?

drift_smallkxt0.gif

markao said:
I had similar feeling prior to recent PC path, added power differential to all cars combined with input lag, unable to drift with wheel, since PC patch tried again yesterday and see below. :D

I read content of PC patch will be brought to consoles in two steps (patches), how many did you have, just 1 ?

drift_smallkxt0.gif

awesome :d

trying to do those drifting events with a wheel or pad is an awful experience. and yes, only one patch so far.

i hope they release the 2nd one next week so i can finish up the career mode.

markao

Wax Free Vanilla said:
awesome :d

trying to do those drifting events with a wheel or pad is an awful experience. and yes, only one patch so far.

i hope they release the 2nd one next week so i can finish up the career mode.
I don't know when and if it will help, but the drifting on the PC went from completely unplayable with a wheel, even those simple tests, to actual fun. PC still has the advantage you can play it with 60 FPS, but overall game input seems to be struggling less with the updated engine version, so hope it will be the same for you guys on the PS3.

markao said:
At least for AMD card, there seems to be an issue with 'Surface Format Optimization" , if you own 5xxx/6xxx card, do not enable it. Nvdia I read alt-tab to desktop and back is an option.

Turning off the surface optimization worked, thanks.

saladine1 said:
I have a cunning plan though... Maybe the community can all buy into a game dev deal, and own a slice of it and the revenues. We build the game together with a huge forum so everyone can input and have complete insight into the development. That would be very cool and we'd all get what we want.

looks like this is a go:

Hi All.

So yes, the plan is that any investment into the development is exactly that, an investment. You would own a share or shares in the development of the game via a special purpose vehicle we set up with that in mind. Once the game is at the point we are happy to ship (we being all of us, this community, the wider community or non community investors and SMS) we take the game to a publisher to arrange a distribution deal where we negotiate hard on their cut Around the 20% mark to them would be average. At this point the publisher would normally pay a guarantee which should cover the cost of development we've invested. At that stage, we can all get our money back and await a profitable return on the backend via revenue over and above the guarantee. Normally, the smaller the guarantee we seek at that stage, the smaller the slice to the publisher, so we might go with no guarantee at all.

Investors would receive regular ongoing builds (weekly or more often) and can see their suggestions and input being heeded regularly. We will also ship our tools and plugins for artists as well as source code for the gameplay code for those that want a tinker.

The terms and conditions for this project are nearly complete with our lawyers and we'll be rolling it out via WMDPortal.com - World/Weapon/Way of Mass Development (nothing there yet but it's being constructed as we speak).

:eek:

markao

Wax Free Vanilla said:
console patch 1.02 is out - does it improve the steering input/drifting?

the ps3 patch isn't available in europe for some reason :(
I'm still waiting for a patch (fix) for the PC EA downloadable version :(

saladine1

Wax Free Vanilla said:
looks like this is a go:

:eek:

Wow, SMS aren't playing!
I hope all goes well for them. They are a talented bunch who are not only racing game devs, but also racing fans in general. I'd love to see what they have cooking..

Edit: Would it be unreasonable if someone created a thread here on GAF for exposure?
This is pretty big I think....

Ugh, after playing Shift 2 for about a week I have many complaints.

First, the good: the graphics are great, and the presentation is very slick. I love the remixes of some of my favorite songs on the main menu, very cool bonus.

The bad:

Damn, where do I start...

First off, the driving physics are laughable. The game really feels like someone who's never driven a performance vehicle watched a bunch of in-cockpit footage of racing and tried to emulate that 'smooth' feeling that professional drivers have while going through corners... except they forgot to add in any feedback from the car or road. It really does feel like you're sliding around on ice in a numb boat.

Another thing: the details in this game suck. By details, I mean the suspension tuning in particular: they don't even use real measurements for camber, caster, toe in etc! Instead of a certain amount of degrees of toe in and toe out, they have a rating of like 1-25. Um, what? How the hell am I supposed to know how many degrees of toe I just added if it doesn't even mesh up with a real world measurement?

Doesn't really matter because the driving physics are so off, I guess.

Another thing: the details in some cars are just plain OFF. I own an S2000 in real life, and the S2000 in the game is just... WTF? It says it's a CR, but then it's an AP1. The CR/Type S is an 08-09 AP2, not an AP1. The in-game dash/cluster for the S2000 is accurate too except they used the 00-01 dash in the game and it looks like an 02-03 AP1.5, which further contradicts the 'S2000 CR' moniker.

GRID felt much better than this, and Forza 3 blows it out of the water. Shift 2 supposedly had professional driver input, but I can't tell. I could've given them better input than what they must've got if this is the result.

Try again with Shift 3, EA...

1-D_FTW

BoobPhysics101 said:
Ugh, after playing Shift 2 for about a week I have many complaints.

First, the good: the graphics are great, and the presentation is very slick. I love the remixes of some of my favorite songs on the main menu, very cool bonus.

The bad:

Damn, where do I start...

First off, the driving physics are laughable. The game really feels like someone who's never driven a performance vehicle watched a bunch of in-cockpit footage of racing and tried to emulate that 'smooth' feeling that professional drivers have while going through corners... except they forgot to add in any feedback from the car or road. It really does feel like you're sliding around on ice in a numb boat.

Another thing: the details in this game suck. By details, I mean the suspension tuning in particular: they don't even use real measurements for camber, caster, toe in etc! Instead of a certain amount of degrees of toe in and toe out, they have a rating of like 1-25. Um, what? How the hell am I supposed to know how many degrees of toe I just added if it doesn't even mesh up with a real world measurement?

Doesn't really matter because the driving physics are so off, I guess.

Another thing: the details in some cars are just plain OFF. I own an S2000 in real life, and the S2000 in the game is just... WTF? It says it's a CR, but then it's an AP1. The CR/Type S is an 08-09 AP2, not an AP1. The in-game dash/cluster for the S2000 is accurate too except they used the 00-01 dash in the game and it looks like an 02-03 AP1.5, which further contradicts the 'S2000 CR' moniker.

GRID felt much better than this, and Forza 3 blows it out of the water. Shift 2 supposedly had professional driver input, but I can't tell. I could've given them better input than what they must've got if this is the result.

Try again with Shift 3, EA...

Basic details were off in the first game too. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when I recently installed the Overhaul 2.0 mod into Shift 1 and the readme explained they fixed a lot of the physics bugs/conflicts because there were typos that were off by a single letter. How it ever got past Q/A without people pointing out the wankiness/jumping is one thing, but for the conflicts to be sloppy typos in code that could have easily been addressed? Really?

I decided to pass on SHIFT 2 until it's a good price on the pc along with some overhaul mods, SHIFT 1 with the 2.0 mod along with new camera angles, replay angles and visual tweaks the game is so much better, not perfect but better and I enjoy playing it now and again to do quick races only.

markao

Diablohead said:
I decided to pass on SHIFT 2 until it's a good price on the pc along with some overhaul mods, SHIFT 1 with the 2.0 mod along with new camera angles, replay angles and visual tweaks the game is so much better, not perfect but better and I enjoy playing it now and again to do quick races only.
SHIFT2 is far superior to the original SHIFT with whatever the MOD used. IMO, the only improvement for the original needed, was the brake fix (& few minor issues fixed) and a remove of the grip multipliers/CoG (gravity).

Juls work, just stiffened the entire tire walls (flex) to unrealistic values and removed every little bit of suspension work the tires did and should do and this removed all the feel out of the tires. Yes it made the input more direct and let it feel more as GTR2 (ISI based sim), but if that's what you like and after, why not just play that game.

But all those things are not necessary for this one as the Elite model already does most of it, also the reason Juls is not modding this one as those changes do not improve the game anymore ;)

Dilly

Banned
How did GRID feel better than SHIFT2?

The only reason I don't replay that game is because it's terrible with a wheel.

Dilly said:
How did GRID feel better than SHIFT2?

The only reason I don't replay that game is because it's terrible with a wheel.

Vehicles felt far more weighty/realistic than they do in Shift 2.

Shift 2 feels like Hot Pursuit 2010 with minor physics tweaks. And compared to Forza 3 and GT5, Shift 2 feels so amateurish.

Anyone that's tracked or driven a good sports car proficiently will tell you how awkward Shift 2 feels.

OG_Original Gamer said:
So what happen to the input from those supposed professional drivers, that developers consulted during development?
I remember those professional drivers saying that Shift 2 captures the look of racing, and of the tracks and the sense of speed. I don't remember any of them discussing quality physics.

NullPointer said:
I remember those professional drivers saying that Shift 2 captures the look of racing, and of the tracks and the sense of speed. I don't remember any of them discussing quality physics.
They kinda failed on that regard as well. But I'm sure SimBin had nothing to do with it, more like EA.

Peterthumpa

Piece of crap game, never buying a NFS game on launch again (except from Criterion).
Patch did nothing (actually, my EADM version has no patch released yet, as it seems that the patch for retail is not compatible with it). Crappy keyboard/mouse support, my Autolog password suddenly says it's wrong but there's no fucking place to change it, graphics worse than the first Shift (and I don't care if the engine is able to do night racing right now, sucks anyway).

A complete clusterfuck. This is the first game I regret to buy in ages.
Bring on Hot Pursuit 2 and we'll talk again.

Insertia

I agree with Shift 2 being a piece of shit.

I HATE the way the game controls. It has all the qualities to be a great racer (lots of awesome tracks, collision, damage, great art direction, ect.) but the feel of the cars just sucks. And the AI...

I would like the game a lot more if I never played Gt5.

markao

OG_Original Gamer said:
So what happen to the input from those supposed professional drivers, that developers consulted during development?
Game is good and cars feel good, including wight transfers, so I have no idea why people are complaining, could make the obvious username quote joke but to easy;) ( I'm talking about PC version.)

Grid is the worst racing game that has been released in the last 10 years for steeringwheel users, even NFS HP does a better job and that game is awful with a steeringwheel. So if someone likes that feel, I'm not that surprised he might not be a fan of a more realistic kind of racing game. Grid cars were about 10/20 seconds a lap faster than their real live racing counter parts, so that extra level of grip might explain the "more weight feel", but it is not realistic at all.

Metalmurphy said:
They kinda failed on that regard as well. But I'm sure SimBin had nothing to do with it, more like EA.
I'm pretty sure SimBin had nothing to do with it, as they have absolutely nothing to do with the entire game. Yes a part of Slightly Mad worked at the former Blimey Games and a part of that worked at SimBin before the split.

SimBin does it's own thing, add-on packs to the Race07 series right now and Portimao is as good to drive on as the racing on it's real live counterpart ;)

heyf00L said:
Waiting for the mod community to fix it.
As mentioned before, the MOD community that "fixed" Shift has no interest of fixing Shift 2 physics/input, as they think it is already good/working. So no doubt few minor things might be modified/changed, but I would not expect something as big as the overhaul MOD for the original.

Insertia said:
I agree with Shift 2 being a piece of shit.

I HATE the way the game controls. It has all the qualities to be a great racer (lots of awesome tracks, collision, damage, great art direction, ect.) but the feel of the cars just sucks. And the AI...

I would like the game a lot more if I never played Gt5.

it's hardly a piece of shit.

all that needs fixing is the minor wheel input problem, ffb and sticky cars when making contact with another (patch 2 seems to have done the trick).

great physics and decent ai - for me it is the best driving/racing game on ps3 pre-patch 2, i can't wait for patch 2 :drool

slighty mad have done a great job unlike some other big racing dev i could mention.

Hate to be 'that guy', but lol at ANYONE that thinks Shift 2 has great physics.

Get back to me when you actually track a car in real life and know how it feels, then you'll understand why Shift 2 feels like doo-doo.

markao said:
I'm pretty sure SimBin had nothing to do with it, as they have absolutely nothing to do with the entire game. Yes a part of Slightly Mad worked at the former Blimey Games and a part of that worked at SimBin before the split.

SimBin does it's own thing, add-on packs to the Race07 series right now and Portimao is as good to drive on as the racing on it's real live counterpart ;)

I actually meant Slightly Mad >.< Got the 2 of them mixed up, probably cause of the reasons you just mentioned.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
great physics and decent ai - for me it is the best driving/racing game on ps3 pre-patch 2, i can't wait for patch 2 :drool

slighty mad have done a great job unlike some other big racing dev i could mention.
smh... oO

AI is certainly very dynamic, but I never saw a car going the wrong way an entire lap struggling to turn around and get back into place on the game of that other big racing dev.

markao said:
Game is good and cars feel good, including wight transfers, so I have no idea why people are complaining, could make the obvious username quote joke but to easy;) ( I'm talking about PC version.)

Grid is the worst racing game that has been released in the last 10 years for steeringwheel users, even NFS HP does a better job and that game is awful with a steeringwheel. So if someone likes that feel, I'm not that surprised he might not be a fan of a more realistic kind of racing game. Grid cars were about 10/20 seconds a lap faster than their real live racing counter parts, so that extra level of grip might explain the "more weight feel", but it is not realistic at all.

As mentioned before, the MOD community that "fixed" Shift has no interest of fixing Shift 2 physics/input, as they think it is already good/working. So no doubt few minor things might be modified/changed, but I would not expect something as big as the overhaul MOD for the original.
I really want to buy Shift 2 for £25 in the game sale but since the first game on both pc and 360 rubbed me the wrong way after a while I just don't feel comfortable, comes to show that if you cock up the first release you will scare away people in the future no matter how well you fix things up.

There was never a demo release was there?

jlevel13

Diablohead said:
I really want to buy Shift 2 for £25 in the game sale but since the first game on both pc and 360 rubbed me the wrong way after a while I just don't feel comfortable, comes to show that if you cock up the first release you will scare away people in the future no matter how well you fix things up.

It's not really fixed up though - I bought the game for $18 and regret it. To me, it's pretty much exactly the same mess as the first game. A few things are a little improved and a few things are a little worse, but it's 90% the same feel. Very inconsistent handling is the biggest problem for me - it simply doesn't feel right (playing with the expert set-up, no assists and a wheel, etc). The Americanized yeah-bro presentation also grates.

markao

Diablohead said:

No demo.

Just wait a while longer and price will no doubt drop to a point the choice gets easier. There is also a second patch in the making, hope I will see the first one (EADM) before that :(, so I would definitely wait a little more if you are in doubt before taking the jump.

'

patch v1.02 has definitely done the trick on ps3

the steering is a lot more precise, car behaviour more predictable, the ffb doesn't die

i've just been beasting bathurst in my falken gt2, fucking awesome

the best driving experience i've had on a console in a long time, and from my little test run in the vegas factory you can now drift like a pro with a wheel

the best just got better

jergrah

Wax Free Vanilla said:

the steering is a lot more precise, car behaviour more predictable, the ffb doesn't die

I havent tried since the update -- but did this fix that wheel slipping effect? I dont know a better way to describe it, but when playing Shift 2 with my Logitech wheel and take a turn (even gradual) at a high speed, its like I get the restraint as I should and then its like it slips (as if the wheel came off the ground) then regrips. I think someone mentioned a similar experience back on the first few pages.

Ive learned to 'deal' with it when playing - but I still find it infuriating as hell.

Update: The other poster referred to it as 'snap back' which probably defines it better than 'slipping'

markao

Added second DLC info to the first post.

SpeedHunters Pack

video_dlc-2iupv.png

Beginning on May 17, racing fans from around the world will dial up the intensity of the driver’s battle with the all-new SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED™ “Speedhunters” content pack. The digital expansion offers players a whole new career path with new game modes, cars and tracks inspired by the expansive network of automotive photographers, journalists and drivers at Speedhunters.com. With 1.7 million visits and nearly 6 million page views per month, Speedhunters, which is owned by EA, is recognized by automotive enthusiasts as one of the world’s leading car culture sites.

The SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED Speedhunters content pack contains two new branches including Drag and Standing mile. Each branch features nine new events, where players will only be able to use the manual gear change so that they can really feel what it’s like to be in the driver’s seat. This means the traction control features will be forced off and the HUD will display a new rev counter and gear indicator. The difference between the two modes is simple – Drag judges the fastest time over a quarter mile stretch, and Standing Mile judges the fastest speed achieved over a mile stretch. Both branches allows for new high-power customization options where players can create 1000 horsepower engines capable of reaching speeds of over 250 mph.

To top it off, the Speedhunters content pack features two new cars – Chris Rado’s World Racing Pro-FWD Reaper Scion tC and Koz’s Dodge Viper GTS by Twins Turbo as well as 12 specially tuned Speedhunters vehicles available to compete in all disciplines.

Players can purchase the SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED Speedhunters content pack for 800 Microsoft Points on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace or £7.99 on the PlayStation®Network.

T Ghost

Wax Free Vanilla said:

i've just been beasting bathurst in my falken gt2, fucking awesome

the best driving experience i've had on a console in a long time, and from my little test run in the vegas factory you can now drift like a pro with a wheel

the best just got better

How did you get the patch on PS3? Is there a way to download on a PC and then transfer it to the PS3?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm part of the Xbox Rewards program. I bought so much stuff off of the XBL Marketplace over the past month, I have more than enough points for the Speedhunters DLC. Thanks, Xbox, now I can get this for free! :D

twinturbo2 said:
I'm part of the Xbox Rewards program. I bought so much stuff off of the XBL Marketplace over the past month, I have more than enough points for the Speedhunters DLC. Thanks, Xbox, now I can get this for free! :D
I hope they gave you some points for that shameless plug, especially when there's a thread for it just above this one.

Under the Bonnet: SHIFT 2 Unleashed

In our biggest and most expansive developer interview to date, Digital Foundry talks extensively with Need for Speed SHIFT developers Slightly Mad Games on the genesis of their most ambitious racing game yet, discussing topics are diverse as the original title's post mortem, hopes and ambitions for the sequel, the evolution of the NFS brand and of course the technical underpinnings of the game itself.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/digitalfoundry-under-the-bonnect-shift-2-part-1

found some scraps:

Doug Arnao (Physics Lead)

The physics model is a full 3D scope engine capable of creating the car dynamics based on parameters taken from the specs of the real-life car - those provided by manufacturers directly and those provided from extensive research. Chassis, suspension, aerodynamics and tyres all generate their forces in 3D in real time. We run these models and recalculate the car state at 400 times per second which makes for a very convincing experience as nothing is left to guesswork.

The chassis model in itself is pretty extensive (approximately 150 parameters). Basics include weight and CG heights and positions and we model the weight and inertia of the sprung and un-sprung masses separately along with spin inertias of the un-sprung items (wheels, brake discs etc). There are 3D suspension geometry parameters for all inner/outer points of a double wishbone along with the tie-rod and damper placements.

The dampers themselves have slow and fast parameters (n/mm/sec) with adjustable switchover points and bump stops with their own stiffness settings. Differentials are the standard 'Salisbury' type with accel/deccel lock settings and visco electronic diffs are also modelled along with inputs for spring rate. Brake torque and brake heating are monitored on a per wheel basis in order to get the heating right for brake pad fade and disc glows.

The tyre model is based on the 'brush model' slip curve generation. Core parameters here include: cornering/braking/self-aligning stiffness, load and camber sensitivities, heating parameters, rolling resistance and base grip of the rubber in longitudinal/lateral directions. The tyre model therefore is class leading (if not the best) in the sim industry.

Finally, the engine model uses a standard rpm/torque curve lookup in 250rpm increments. Some parameters are: rotating inertia, accel friction drag, deccel drag, heating. Turbos are modelled as separate components with their own separate physics and can be bolted on to directly effect it as in the real world.

Q: In recreating the circuits, what kind of raw assets do you have access to? How do you go about making a track as mathematically precise as possible? Would you ever consider tweaking reality to make for a better playing game?

Andreas Moll: For existing tracks we mainly use GPS and CAD data which contain the track layout/width/elevation, armco placement and style, and gravel bed/kerb/tyrewall positions. Because many tracks are constantly changing in real life however, we then proceed to get the very latest reference data from photoshoots and research also in order to ensure the most up-to-date version of the track is recreated meticulously.

Of course we set out from the beginning to be as authentic as possible. However, what we found is that what is 'mathematically' correct in-game doesn't always necessarily 'feel' correct when playing due to the different field of view you are viewing the action from. Take Eau Rouge at Spa for instance - one of motoring's most iconic stretches of tarmac. Originally we input the CAD data and modelled the elevation change exactly as it is in real life. But when we came to play it it just didn't feel like the terrifying climb that it is in reality, mainly because you don't get the same physical feedback you have racing it in real life when lounging at home playing on the sofa.

In reality Eau Rouge is brutal - hitting the bottom of the climb makes your stomach lurch and your neck compress - all sensations that tell you of the elevation change and that can't be conveyed to the player via Dual Shock. So similar to other areas of the game where we simulate physical experiences (g-force head movement, crash dynamics) we enhance the technically correct data in order to recreate the real-world sensation. So in this case, we increased the elevation change, playing around with differing values until the game yielded the true feel - making Eau Rouge back into one of motorsport's most demanding and exciting corners. Of course, such enhancements are used sparingly only for cases where the 'emotional' experience is not being recreated by the maths - the 'Fuchsrohre' at Nordschleife and Bathurst for example.

can somebody post the full interview?

So has there been any "official" word about the input lag in this game? Like, is it trying to simulate something? Because it's hard for me to wrap my head around it not being intentional. It's not like this is some C-rate game.

If it is in fact intentional, I might just be able to get used to it and adjust. But if it's unintentional and is in fact, just, you know, FUCKING INPUT LAG, ignored and unaddressed, then that's disappointing. (PS3 & DS3, btw.)

edit: And for as tits as this game sounds, WTF is this Clydesdale hoof's knocking I hear all the time? Is that also supposed to be simulating something? Because it sounds awful.

sneaky77

NEOPARADIGM said:
So has there been any "official" word about the input lag in this game? Like, is it trying to simulate something? Because it's hard for me to wrap my head around it not being intentional. It's not like this is some C-rate game.

If it is in fact intentional, I might just be able to get used to it and adjust. But if it's unintentional and is in fact, just, you know, FUCKING INPUT LAG, ignored and unaddressed, then that's disappointing. (PS3 & DS3, btw.)

edit: And for as tits as this game sounds, WTF is this Clydesdale hoof's knocking I hear all the time? Is that also supposed to be simulating something? Because it sounds awful.

input lag? I haven't noticed anything like this on 360

How ironic and convenient that this interview is being released *AFTER* the game is already out and the damage is already done.

I guess that's why is called Post Mortem.. also what damage? is a pretty fun game

markao

NEOPARADIGM said:

First a question, post patch or pre patch?

There is the tire model in the physics engine, which has, depending on the tire used, some "lag". It simulates the fact a tire wall is not solid but together with the suspension/dampers on a car works a suspension (rubber is not solid, there is some flex)

And there is/was and prior to the patch a lot of lag from the render engine, which, specially on consoles prior to the patch, was huge. Most of that is removed with the latest patch, so that's why I asked;)

Sound, could it be the "marbles" hitting your underside of the car?

@ Wax.F.V. I could post it, but doubt MODs on this forum would like it ;) The interview was posted on GI (GamesIndutry.biz), you do need an account, but you can make one for free (links below)

"Under the Bonnet: SHIFT 2 Unleashed" Part 1 & Part 2

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Grr, I'm trying to get the King of the Hill achievement and there's like no one playing this mode. Plus if you lose a race, you have to start alllll over. And most of the time people just ram into you. Screw this

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Wario64 said:
Grr, I'm trying to get the King of the Hill achievement and there's like no one playing this mode. Plus if you lose a race, you have to start alllll over. And most of the time people just ram into you. Screw this
I can maybe help you sometime next week, I'm busy the rest of this week, and I spent most of the day today on the Gears 3 beta.

So, is the handling that bad? I'm quite interested and the data used to model their vehicles sound very comprehensive, but there are people arguing both ways.

daviyoung said:
The handling is more Project Gotham than Forza.

Sorry I haven't played PG before. Is it consistent/ workable with a steering wheel? I don't mind it feeling a little arcade like, but as long as it's not a joke like Shift 1... (though weak cars in Shift 1 were 'ok').

sneaky77 said:
input lag? I haven't noticed anything like this on 360

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5RGxNEYiFc

Though that guy says the patch makes for an astonishing difference. Still slightly there, though, hence my confusion. Why is it there at all? You're saying 360 doesn't do that in the slightest? Maybe time for a swap.

markao said:
First a question, post patch or pre patch?

Post. Didn't play more than an hour or so pre.

There is the tire model in the physics engine, which has, depending on the tire used, some "lag". It simulates the fact a tire wall is not solid but together with the suspension/dampers on a car works a suspension (rubber is not solid, there is some flex)

Hm. Well that doesn't mean much of anything to me (lol). But my last few events were quite awesome. I think I'm just going to have to adjust, and I don't mind doing it. Still feels odd if it's intentional. Or maybe I just need to use more cars yet, try more tires, more upgrades, etc.

Sound, could it be the "marbles" hitting your underside of the car?

Yes, I suspect that's it. Way too loud, then!

jlevel13

33-Hit-Combo said:
Sorry I haven't played PG before. Is it consistent/ workable with a steering wheel? I don't mind it feeling a little arcade like, but as long as it's not a joke like Shift 1... (though weak cars in Shift 1 were 'ok').

There are different handling models you can choose, up to expert, which is supposed to be the most "realistic." Expert definitely feels a bit different than Shift 1, mainly because there is less slide when you go around turns, so you do have to use more proper techniques to take a corner / less arcade. It feels different, but for me overall, not really better - there is something really inconsistent in the handling that I can't quite get the hang of. Even on expert, the cars still seem floaty like in SHift 1, to me, and they bounce around more than they should as you pick up speed (annoying blur effects are also still there). I'd say it's 90% the same feeling as Shift 1. It still just feels really messy to me.

Top Bottom