• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 25th anniversary project site opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blobbers

I hope they un-streamline a lot of things.

no more "this is effective" when I pick a spell
no insta-revive or insta-revive with a fee
no buying apps for the ability to fuse higher leveled demons
no more choosing which skills carry over, if you want the best loadout then you should be prepared to accept - back, accept - back a few times

If I forget what's effective against a demon, then I have to spend a press turn to analyze or try and get lucky but also risk being reflected. and that's fair.
I truly believe the press turn system in its "archaic" form is much better than what we got with SMT and SMT: A.

And also as someone above said: no more animu garbage.

7Th

Why would it be Switch exclusive if up-porting it to the PS4 would be painless and more than double their sales? I really don't get the people in this thread.

no more choosing which skills carry over, if you want the best loadout then you should be prepared to accept - back, accept - back a few times

If I forget what's effective against a demon, then I have to spend a press turn to analyze or try and get lucky but also risk being reflected. and that's fair.
I truly believe the press turn system in its "archaic" form is much better than what we got with SMT and SMT: A.

You're forgetting Save anywhere if you're going that far.

I don't think the first two ideas are bad to try out. Iffy on the third because I like the Fusion system allowing crazy bullshit. The 4th suggestion is just a waste of time, nothing interesting is added by having it.

7Th

Because the bolded is extremely unlikely.

Why? It wouldn't even need to be improved, if it can run on Switch it can run on the PS4 without much effort from the developers. They did a PS3/PS4 Persona 5 release and this is an even simpler situation.

Oregano

Why? It wouldn't even need to be improved, if it can run on Switch it can run on the PS4 without much effort from the developers. They did a PS3/PS4 Persona 5 release and this is an even simpler situation.

A PS3 to PS4 port would be much easier than a Switch to PS4 port simply based on the fact that Sony probably provided a ton of tools and documentation to make that process easy.

That wasn't the part that was the most unlikely. It's the idea that it would "more than double their sales". I think that would make SMTV bigger than Persona 5.

EDIT:
And why is it being exclusive to an unproven system any more likely?

The only way I see this being a Nintendo exclusive is if it's a lower budget 3DS/Switch crossgen release.

Developers support unproven systems all the time. It's amazing how this is the only time it's ever been an issue apparently.

asagami_

Banned
no more choosing which skills carry over, if you want the best loadout then you should be prepared to accept - back, accept - back a few times.

I hope not. I accept to do this in Pokémon, but Megaten games shines more when the player, even with all the tools avaible, is pushed.

Eolz

And why is it being exclusive to an unproven system any more likely?

The only way I see this being a Nintendo exclusive is if it's a lower budget 3DS/Switch crossgen release.

Basically all of what Oregano said. it could make more sales, sure, but it's not that simple to port a game (that must already have a docked and undocked version) to a different platform.
It wouldn't "more than double the sales" too, and SMTIV was chosen on an unproven system before as well. It ended up the best selling of the franchise.
Come on now, those posts about "it just makes sense to port it to PS4!" are becoming ridiculous. Could it be a multiplat release? Of course, but it's not a certainty. It's like those recent threads about every game that was on 3DS now coming on PS4 because "it just makes sense! Dem HW sales".

A PS3 to PS4 port would be much easier than a Switch to PS4 port simply based on the fact that Sony probably provided a ton of tools and documentation to make that process easy.

That wasn't the part that was the most unlikely. It's the idea that it would "more than double their sales". I think that would make SMTV bigger than Persona 5.

EDIT:

Developers support unproven systems all the time. It's amazing how this is the only time it's ever been an issue apparently.

I have to say I don't really understand yeah... The PS4 is definitely a success, but it never happened at this point during other eras.

Oregano

EDIT:

To shamelessly quote myself and add to this SMT:A took three years to come out after SMTIV despite reusing assets so it's likely SMTIV was in development for longer. SMTIV came out two years after the 3DS so it was likely in development for at least a year before the 3DS released.

Lynx_7

It's only an issue when people are trying to argue it makes more sense to make it a Switch exclusive when there really isn't any reason. If they're making it with HD assets then a multi-platform approach makes more sense to maximize their reach. If it's not HD then it makes more sense for it to be 3DS/Switch. Why would they make it a Switch exclusive from a business perspective?

Basically all of what Oregano said. it could make more sales, sure, but it's not that simple to port a game (that must already have a docked and undocked version) to a different platform.
It wouldn't "more than double the sales" too, and SMTIV was chosen on an unproven system before as well. It ended up the best selling of the franchise.
Come on now, those posts about "it just makes sense to port it to PS4!" are becoming ridiculous. Could it be a multiplat release? Of course, but it's not a certainty. It's like those recent threads about every game that was on 3DS now coming on PS4 because "it just makes sense! Dem HW sales".

This is funny because there's no evidence either way about it being a Switch or PS4 release. Why are we arguing like Switch is a sure thing?

Oregano

It's only an issue when people are trying to argue it makes more sense to make it a Switch exclusive when there really isn't any reason. If they're making it with HD assets then a multi-platform approach makes more sense to maximize their reach. If it's not HD then it makes more sense for it to be 3DS/Switch. Why would they make it a Switch exclusive from a business perspective?

For the record I think it will likely be multiplatform at best but....

A) Atlus doesn't have much multiplatform experience
B) Nintendo marketing support. Nintendo cross promoted SMT with Fire Emblem Awakenings and featured it in a bunch of western directs.

Also if it's not HD it makes sense to release on Switch but not PS4? What difference would that make?

SMTV only being on Switch makes as much sense as Persona 5 not being on Switch.

Hell no. That added nothing to gameplay; it was just a complete waste of time and a source of endless frustration. I never want to "re-roll the dice" by navigating through UI menus agin. Either let us choose which skills to carry over, or don't let us see what skills we get until the demon has been fused. I prefer the former.

Delio

This is funny because there's no evidence either way about it being a Switch or PS4 release. Why are we arguing like Switch is a sure thing?

This same logic would apply to Persona yet when that was brought up people said the audience isn't there. Why not release Persona on Switch and get those near launch sales? Atlus will put the games wherever they want regardless.

Oregano

There's a chance it's not a Switch release but Atlus supported the DS and 3DS a lot and pumped out a ton of SMT games on those platforms. They are also amongst the Switch partners announced. What games are they making for Switch if not SMT? Just Etrian Odyssey(despite the fact that was reliant on dual screens)?

For the record I think it will likely be multiplatform at best but....

A) Atlus doesn't have much multiplatform experience
B) Nintendo marketing support. Nintendo cross promoted SMT with Fire Emblem Awakenings and featured it in a bunch of western directs.

A) Atlus had zero problem with making Catherine multi-platform. They have enough experience.
B) All the Nintendo marketing support they might throw at a Switch exclusive wouldn't make up for the lost sales on the much-larger PS4 userbase. In addition to the SMT-starved people like myself who got into SMT with Nocturne and then couldn't play the next one because it moved to a different platform. There's very little reason for Atlus to keep SMT exclusive at this point.

Oregano

A) Atlus had zero problem with making Catherine multi-platform. They have enough experience.
B) All the Nintendo marketing support they might throw at a Switch exclusive wouldn't make up for the lost sales on the much-larger PS4 userbase. In addition to the SMT-starved people like myself who got into SMT with Nocturne and then couldn't play the next one because it moved to a different platform. There's very little reason for Atlus to keep SMT exclusive at this point.

SMTIV outsold Nocturne thanks to Nintendo's marketing support.

As to the bolded what numbers are talking about?

By the time this release Switch's install base could be bigger in Japan.

7Th

How does this make sense? Unlike the PS3 and the PS4, the Switch and PS4 have the same architecture.

Dascu

Have to say you must have curious tastes to consider yourself 'SMT-starved' and then not buy a DS or 3DS, not only for the various mainline SMT games but also for the other, many, JRPGs on those systems. That's a deliberate hunger strike.

Oregano

How does this make sense? Unlike the PS3 and the PS4, the Switch and PS4 have the same architecture.

That's not true. They have a similar modern featureset but they're not remotely the same architecture. ARM+ Nvidia Maxwell vs x86 + AMD GCN.

Lynx_7

This same logic would apply to Persona yet when that was brought up people said the audience isn't there. Why not release Persona on Switch and get those near launch sales? Atlus will put the games wherever they want regardless.

Persona Q sold tremendously well on the 3DS so I'm not sure why there wouldn't be an audience for it. There's nothing stopping Atlus from making P5 Portable eventually. Who is even arguing about that?
There's a chance it's not a Switch release but Atlus supported the DS and 3DS a lot and pumped out a ton of SMT games on those platforms. They are also amongst the Switch partners announced. What games are they making for Switch if not SMT? Just Etrian Odyssey(despite the fact that was reliant on dual screens)?

I mean, you're missing the point. I'm not arguing Atlus won't support the Switch, I'm saying broad statements like "porting a Switch game to PS4 might not be worth the risk" are just as baseless as people saying it's going to be multiplat considering we have zero information about which platform SMT V is being developed for in the first place.

Lynx_7

It's going to be funny if after all the speculation they end up announcing Shin Megami Tensei Dancing All Moon Phases.
For the Vita

SMTIV outsold Nocturne thanks to Nintendo's marketing support.

As to the bolded what numbers are talking about?

By the time this release Switch's install base could be bigger in Japan.

Comparing PS3 sales numbers to a portable platform is not exactly straightforward; different times. I'd question how much Nintendo's marketing played a role as opposed to the 3DS just being where the Japanese audience was last gen.

I have no idea how well the Switch will do, but the PS4 is doing well in Japan and will certainly continue that trend given their strong lineup. It doesn't make sense to ignore that platform.

Have to say you must have curious tastes to consider yourself 'SMT-starved' and then not buy a DS or 3DS, not only for the various mainline SMT games but also for the other, many, JRPGs on those systems. That's a deliberate hunger strike.

I have an OG DS, but honestly I don't really like playing RPGs on portable platforms. And not everyone has the resources to buy and play on every platform.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

LordKano

I think it's a given that it will release at least on Switch. There were like five Shin Megami Tensei games on 3DS, with the last mainline one and they sold pretty good (especially SMTIV). Atlus was already on the partner list and they must already be in work.

The real question is whether or not it will be exclusive or will it come to other consoles (so presumably PS4).

Setsu00

Why would you want to change that back? This doesn't make the game more difficult, just a lot more tedious. Some of the design changes for SMT4 are also simply the consequence of it being a portable game, such as being able to save everywhere.

Also SMT was always anime. It always used current design trends in anime for its games. Just look at SMT2 and how it fits in right with all the dystopian anime that were made around that time.

http://gematsu.com/2017/01/atlus-sq...re-2017-ambitions-famitsu-dengeki-playstation

Well I guess it might be coming to the PlayStation? Will be weird if they mention non-PlayStation project at a Dengeki PlayStation magazine.

Yamai's quote was from Famitsu though.

Setsu00

HTML code of the site suggests projects with an 's' on the end meaning plural, so one may be for PS4 and one may be Switch? Or two projects both multi platform?

Yamai, SMT's current producer, was featured in Famitsu. Wada, the guy from Persona's B team (and most likely now A team after Hashino's unfortunate departure), was in Dengeki Playstation.

Oregano

Comparing PS3 sales numbers to a portable platform is not exactly straightforward; different times. I'd question how much Nintendo's marketing played a role as opposed to the 3DS just being where the Japanese audience was last gen.

I have no idea how well the Switch will do, but the PS4 is doing well in Japan and will certainly continue that trend given their strong lineup. It doesn't make sense to ignore that platform.

I have an OG DS, but honestly I don't really like playing RPGs on portable platforms. And not everyone has the resources to buy and play on every platform.

PS4 isn't doing anything special in Japan and if Switch does closer to PS4 than to 3DS then the domestic market is dead and it will be extremely difficult for a lot of developers, including/especially Atlus.

http://gematsu.com/2017/01/atlus-sq...re-2017-ambitions-famitsu-dengeki-playstation

Well I guess it might be coming to the PlayStation? Will be weird if they mention non-PlayStation project at a Dengeki PlayStation magazine.

Good thing he mentioned it in Famitsu then!

Persona Q sold tremendously well on the 3DS so I'm not sure why there wouldn't be an audience for it. There's nothing stopping Atlus from making P5 Portable eventually. Who is even arguing about that?

I mean, you're missing the point. I'm not arguing Atlus won't support the Switch, I'm saying broad statements like "porting a Switch game to PS4 might not be worth the risk" are just as baseless as people saying it's going to be multiplat considering we have zero information about which platform SMT V is being developed for in the first place.

Sure, I'll agree with that. As I said, personally I think it's likely multiplatform.

asagami_

Banned
PS4 isn't doing anything special in Japan and if Switch does closer to PS4 than to 3DS then the domestic market is dead and it will be extremely difficult for a lot of developers, including/especially Atlus.

I don't think so. Low-mid tier projects are available in every system. It would worry me if the Switch is a hell to develop games, but everything points it's easy. Also, the mobile architecture may push some Android and iOS devs to be interested in Switch.

HTML code of the site suggests projects with an 's' on the end meaning plural, so one may be for PS4 and one may be Switch? Or two projects both multi platform?

Couldn't other anniversary projects be non-game projects too. Such as the exhibition and concerts they did for Persona's anniversary.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue, as I never inferred that the Switch and PS4 would be in sales parity. Obviously as a semi-portable platform, the Switch will sell better in Japan. But that doesn't mean the PS4 isn't a platform worth targeting. It had 3m sales in Japan by the end of last year, and as Japanese devs are supporting it more fully I think we'll see that start to rise considerably as compared with the first couple years. All I'm saying is it makes financial sense to release on the PS4, especially if they have interest in supporting and expanding SMT sales in the western markets.

Lynx_7

Yamai, SMT's current producer, was featured in Famitsu. Wada, the guy from Persona's B team (and most likely now A team after Hashino's unfortunate departure), was in Dengeki Playstation.

It's worth mentioning that Atlus did a survey a year ago asking if customers would like to purchase a new Shin Megami Tensei game on the PS4, 3DS, Vita or Mobile.
Watch it be the last option.

Setsu00

It's worth mentioning that Atlus did a survey a year ago asking if customers would like to purchase a new Shin Megami Tensei game on the PS4, 3DS, Vita or Mobile.
Watch it be the last option.

I don't think they'll put SMT5 on mobile, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the 25th anniversary projects will be Pokemon Go-esque mobile SMT (which would be totally awesome).

Jb

I don't think they'll put SMT5 on mobile, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the 25th anniversary projects will be Pokemon Go-esque mobile SMT (which would be totally awesome).

Finding a wild Mara on the corner of the street would be pretty funny.

Lynx_7

I wonder if we'd even get something like that on the West. The only mobile title Atlus bothered to translate was SMT I.

I was hoping on an Android or 3DS version of that so much. Such a shame.
You and me both :T

I wonder if we'd even get something like that on the West. The only mobile title Atlus bothered to translate was SMT I.

I was hoping on an Android or 3DS version of that so much. Such a shame.

Couldn't other anniversary projects be non-game projects too. Such as the exhibition and concerts they did for Persona's anniversary.

True yes. I would be happy enough with an anniversary soundtrack with rearranged/remixed SMT music from Atlus Sound Team and new art books. There is a factor though that we do not know what the TMS/Devil Survivor team are up to either, there isn't just the Persona team and there's now two SMT teams (Team Maniax and Devil Survivor/TMS team).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom