• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 25th anniversary project site opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Ryo_

That's a lot of freaking remakes.

Just give us SMTV or a SMT spinoff (not Persona) on an HD console.

Atlus already said they'd announce a Persona title this year. Don't think it'll be a part of the 25th SMT anniversary event stuff though

Lynx_7

idk, atlus putting I through IV into the spaces surrounding a pentagram and then the word "next" into the fifth empty slot is pretty suggestive. not that i don't doubt atlus' prowess when it comes to meaningless announcements, but it's kinda on them if people get hype

Next... Nex... Nx... Shin Megami Tensei NX. Switch exclusive confirmed.

Even if we do get a SMT V announcement I doubt it would be for 2017. They could announce a few ports/remasters to fill in the blank for this year. SMT I, II, if and Nocturne HD.

Next... Nex... Nx... Shin Megami Tensei NX. Switch exclusive confirmed.

Even if we do get a SMT V announcement I doubt it would be for 2017. They could announce a few ports/remasters to fill in the blank for this year. SMT I, II, if and Nocturne HD.

If we got an official english release for II and If... I would scream. Also a non-iOS version on SMTI would be awesome because I just don't like playing games on my phone, personally.

Opa-Pa

I'm so interested to see whats in the works. SMTV? New SMT spin off? Persona 5 Spin Offs? Lot's of possibilities here.

Not quite. The SMT brand is used strictly for mainline titles in Japan, so for spinoffs, I think something like Strange Journey would be as far as they would go (and I'm definitely not complaining).

This is great IMO because it limits the possibilities to stuff like SMTV and/or remakes/remasters, which I definitely want.

Toad.T

Banned
You're all wrong, it's going to be Jack Frost and friend's Exciting Snowboard Relay, which in turn is also the revival of Snowboard Kids.

Please be V, Please be V.

Lynx_7

If we got an official english release for II and If... I would scream. Also a non-iOS version on SMTI would be awesome because I just don't like playing games on my phone, personally.

I want a non-iOS version of SMT I because I don't have an iPhone. Atlus pls ;_;
I still don't understand why they didn't also bring the android version...

Rhyel

I want a SMT5, but is a commemoration.
Maybe a crossover with all previous SMT, Using SMT4A art and battles.
Only need to upgrade the art of characters from previous games.
The game could be came with a artbook with all demons in full body.

Opa-Pa

Imagine if they teased a large scale mainline SMT crossover and one year later they revealed is a JRPG about idols who can use guys like Demi Fiend as personas.

I'm calling it!

butman

Bring the second part.

latest

if they want to hook on the remake//port route...
ps4 smt nocturne maniacs remake//port..
hitoshura is ready!

i would gladly give to everyone the opportunity to replay digital devil summoner, but if they want to go bit wth a retro-sense, it must be smt 3 :)

Not quite. The SMT brand is used strictly for mainline titles in Japan, so for spinoffs, I think something like Strange Journey would be as far as they would go (and I'm definitely not complaining).

This is great IMO because it limits the possibilities to stuff like SMTV and/or remakes/remasters, which I definitely want.

Ah yeah, forgot about Megami Ibunroku and all that. Well, thats only good news because I am most definitely down for for anything Mainline.

daveo42

Banned
Looking forward to their 25h live stream to announce a ton of Persona spinoff games and maybe SMTV at the end. Maybe a little heavy petting, but who knows. I'd be up for anything tbh.

Clov

If there has to be remakes of anything, I'd want it to be I, II, and If. Though I really want to experience the originals, so I'd rather they just did enhanced ports, Soul Hackers style.

Overall I'd prefer a completely new game, so I'm really hoping that if there are some remakes and ports they would be in addition to SMTV.

daveo42

Banned
Well with many people expecting it to be multiplatform there might be a mini meltdown if it is exclusive.

Why would it be multiplatform tho...I mean look at the previous SMT/Persona releases. No one should expect this to be multiplatform. Switch makes the most sense with SMTIV/A being on the 3DS.

Why would it be multiplatform tho...I mean look at the previous SMT/Persona releases. No one should expect this to be multiplatform. Switch makes the most sense with SMTIV/A being on the 3DS.

It would be multiplatform because the Switch and the PS4 can both run PS3 games. And that's about the budget we should be expecting from atlus, lol.

Delio

I don't really know no one has given a good reason other than both can run the game. But we will see.

True Fire

SMTV Switch Exclusive. I would love the meltdown.

Strange Journey was DS exclusive and 4/4A were 3DS exclusive. It wouldn't be much of a surprise and Megaten fans always buy Nintendo consoles anyway.

I imagine PS4 exclusivity would be an interesting thread though ;)

mejin

meltdown would happen if its a ps4 exclusive. lol

it just makes sense: huge install base, Persona 5 being the best selling release in Atlus history in japan, worldwide appeal.

Whatever it is, Raidou, mainline SMT (SMTV , Nocturne 2, Strange Journey 2, remakes of SMT 1, 2 or ...if), Devil Survivor 3, new spin off series, weird revival no one expects (Majin Tensei) - I just want Kaneko back, dammit. That's all I want, platform be damned (Switch, PS4, 3DS or whatever).

Also, I guess Atlus aren't also counting that it's the 30th anniversary of MegaTen as a whole? Wonder if they will bring back any of the other old guard back for a talk or anything like that (Cozy Okada, Tsukasa Masuko etc).

Delio

meltdown would happen if its a ps4 exclusive. lol

it just makes sense: huge install base, Persona 5 being the best selling release in Atlus history in japan, worldwide appeal.

Eh meltdowns would happen if it was Switch exclusive and you know it.

Strange Journey was DS exclusive and 4/4A were 3DS exclusive. It wouldn't be much of a surprise and Megaten fans always buy Nintendo consoles anyway.

I can't imagine Atlus would be crazy enough to do that, especially with the dire position of the PS4 in Japan, and the fanbase having been on the DS/3DS in the past decade.

Shoeless

With Persona 5 out on the PS3/4, what do you think the odds are that an SMT game can also creep onto the console? Or is Persona basically a PlayStation title while SMT is more of a Nintendo thing now?

With Persona 5 out on the PS3/4, what do you think the odds are that an SMT game can also creep onto the console? Or is Persona basically a PlayStation title while SMT is more of a Nintendo thing now?

I think it's really a coin toss between the two:

Mainline SMT:

SNES - SMT1, ...if and SMT2
PSX - SMT1, ...if and SMT 2 remakes
PS2 - SMT3
DS - Strange Journey
3DS - SMT4 and SMT4: Apocalypse

Oregano

I would point out that the game has probably been in development since at least a while before Persona 5 came out so if its PS4-bound that was a decision made before the extent of P5's success was known.

Semajer

I don't have particularly high expectations considering how small Altus is and how many major titles they've only recently finished but I'd be perfectly happy with some updated ports and an SMTV announcement, especially if they dip outside of the SMT mainline and produce translations for the games that never left Japan.

I'd love 3DS ports of SMT1, 2, if..., Strange Journey, and Devil Summoner similar to what Soul Hackers got. I think Nocturne has a decent chance at a HD release, and I'd love DDS ports. The artstyle on most of Atlus' PS2 games is fantastic and won't need much more than a resolution bump and widescreen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom