• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 25th anniversary project site opens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Atlus will abandon nintendo hardware since the mainline SMT was doing good on the sistem. However I'll be shocked if they jump Day one.

marmoka

Banned
SMT1 and 2 were not Multi at launch though iirc?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see SMT games on PS consoles again and it definitely would make sense, but I am probably just a bit more pessimistic than others.

I think SMT1 was multi on SNES and MegaCD at least, but I cannot confirm that, I only know those versions exist.

And there's nothing wrong in being pessimistic, you could say you are realistic, at least in this topic, haha

NSESN

I know some people might disagre on this, but I hope the game isn't too ambitious. I don't want the game to take forever to make like Persona 5 and I am prefectily fine with the 3DS games, so just a new game is good to me, specially if it is portable.

Dascu

How many demons in Persona 5 could they realistically re-use for SMTV? I got the impression they didn't really make a lot of new models.

Setsu00

How many demons in Persona 5 could they realistically re-use for SMTV? I got the impression they didn't really make a lot of new models.

They remade every model in P5 from scratch. The only new designs are the party member's Personas, but that's still a bunch to work with.

Thud

V has come to

I wonder what platforms it'll hit. 3DS/Switch?

Not 3DS as it's different from IV. It has to be a step ahead.

PS4 makes the most sense. They have experience developing for PS4, assets and an engine.

More importantly it has an userbase. Switch has potential as a secondary platform. Even if it doesn't hit switch, Atlus will probably release a few games along the line.

Dascu

They remade every model in P5 from scratch. The only new designs are the party member's Personas, but that's still a bunch to work with.

I haven't played P5, how many demons are we talking here? Did they really re-do hundreds of demon models or just a few dozen?

marmoka

Banned
I think we also need a SMT game, with Jack Frost as another party member, and more protagonism, something like Teddy or Morgana, or Pikachu. It would help to consolidate it more as the Atlus maskot. At least I imagine him like a funny and sadic demon. He wants to be the leader of the party, and they don't let him, so he sometimes reveals, and turns into Black Frost, King Frost, Frost Ace, Demoni-ho, Samurai-ho (if this thing ever existed),... But he's got charm in the end.

wrowa

I think Persona 5 marks the level of graphics Atlus will aim for with its console projects in the future and since that level of graphics should be easily achievable on Switch, I don't see much of a reason why they wouldn't follow a multiplat strategy with Switch and PS4 in mind. Both platforms should be a healthy home for their games and by betting on both they aren't going to make a mistake.

Question is if they are willing and able to give projects like SMT and EO - games that used to be lower budget handheld games in the past decade - a bigger budget and more ressources, though. If they try to keep it on "handheld level" I wouldn't be surprised if they consider PS4 as a viable platform for these games.

Hopefully Soejima is too busy with that new IP so Kaneko gets to come out of hiding and design some characters.

I need my dark lip fix damn it

Korigama

Hopefully Soejima is too busy with that new IP so Kaneko gets to come out of hiding and design some characters.

I need my dark lip fix damn it
It would just be Doi instead, as it has been with IV and IV:A. Soejima's art contributions to SMT rather than Persona were limited to the original two Devil Summoner games, rather than mainline SMT.

Jb

Question is if they are willing and able to give projects like SMT and EO - games that used to be lower budget handheld games in the past decade - a bigger budget and more ressources, though. If they try to keep it on "handheld level" I wouldn't be surprised if they consider PS4 as a viable platform for these games.

I'm a little worried about what the death of the traditional handheld will mean for these games. If they have to be in HD does it necessarily mean an increased budget? And if so would that be offset by newcomers who didn't really play JRPGson the DS and 3DS?
I hope they'll figure out out to make the economics for these smaller franchises make sense

Zhao_Yun

0 Switch sold vs. +50 Mio PS4 sold.

You really dont have to wonder...its just common sense.

Sure, the PS4 install base is naturally much higher, but that doesn't automatically mean that all 3rd party franchises that were Nintendo-exclusive until now, will jump on the Multi-train. Yes, it would definitely make sense, but who knows.. maybe Atlus is making a small portable-type SMT again which will be on 3DS + Switch.

Eolz

Not 3DS as it's different from IV. It has to be a step ahead.

PS4 makes the most sense. They have experience developing for PS4, assets and an engine.

More importantly it has an userbase. Switch has potential as a secondary platform. Even if it doesn't hit switch, Atlus will probably release a few games along the line.

I wonder if you've read the previous page of this thread.
The assets/engine argument diesn't hold up.
The userbase is just an old and bad argument coming up every generation, and publishers make plans before a userbase is there. Obviouslu, if it's a failure, it goes differently, but they're not stupid either. Nobody would develop games at every new platform otherwise.

I'm a little worried about what the death of the traditional handheld will mean for these games. If they have to be in HD does it necessarily mean an increased budget? And if so would that be offset by newcomers who didn't really play JRPGson the DS and 3DS?
I hope they'll figure out out to make the economics for these smaller franchises make sense

Not necessarily, as long as the project management is good.
People played more JRPGs on DS/3DS than other platforms anyway.

Fdkn

I wonder if you've read the previous page of this thread.
The assets/engine argument diesn't hold up.

Of course it does.

Nocturne assets and engine kickstarted a healthy schedule of releases

P5 assets and engine are supposed to to the same to HD development. It doesn't have to be ps4 exclusive as not even P5 was, but it would be absurd avoiding to reach the same fanbase that purchased the biggest success for the company.

Nice. It's unlikely that they'll release a collection, right? If we don't get one then I hope for something new to celebrate. I've played some Nocturne but my PS3 YLOD'd before I could finish it.

Oregano

Of course it does.

Nocturne assets and engine kickstarted a healthy schedule of releases

P5 assets and engine are supposed to to the same to HD development. It doesn't have to be ps4 exclusive as not even P5 was, but it would be absurd avoiding to reach the same fanbase that purchased the biggest success for the company.

In this situation they probably will release on PS4 but it's not exactly unusual for publishers to release games on platforms that don't host their biggest seller.

For instance Level 5 is developing Nino Kuni 2 as their biggest project ever and it's PS4 exclusive despite the fact that Level 5 makes the vast majority of their sales on 3DS.

duckroll

It doesn't have to be Nocturne's formula, just scrap everything from IV and Final. These games had some really baffling design decisions.

I don't think we're going to get SMT from anyone other than the core team who made SMT4 and SMT4A, so....

In this situation they probably will release on PS4 but it's not exactly unusual for publishers to release games on platforms that don't host their biggest seller.

For instance Level 5 is developing Nino Kuni 2 as their biggest project ever and it's PS4 exclusive despite the fact that Level 5 makes the vast majority of their sales on 3DS.

Not because Level-5 cares to make a PS4 game, but because Bandai Namco is paying them to make it for the international audience. Come on.

I do think if there is a new console style SMT is likely on PS4 along with whatever other platforms they can manage. The assets from Persona 5 would scale for anything really. P5 is a PS3 and a PS4 game, Atlus is not expected to have super amazing graphics for their titles, so it would support anything from a Switch to a Scorpio.

Nocturne remaster for 3DS or SMT V.

Give it to me!

I wouldn't be surprised if that would be a downgrade on 3DS. It's 2017, Nintendo's 2001-tier tech needs to die already and the next SMT needs to run on the P5 engine.

Plus, not taking any notes from SMT4:A - animu junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom