• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 25th anniversary project site opens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would they make models and not use them? That doesn't sound like a wise business decision to me.

I dunno! It doesn't seem outlandish though.

Ah, my bad.
Well, at least I can still hope for a new Raidou game. He's such a fun character. I miss him. :(

Well, that's a spinoff too. And they didn't do a thing for Devil Summoner's 20th anniversary! Where's a demon detective to look into this when you need one…

Glass Rebel

If this is an HD title on PS3/PS4/Switch, I wonder how people are gonna react to the inevitably lower demon count. Didn't SMT4A have like 450+ demons?

Capra

SMT 1+2 remakes in the IV engine
Persona 3+4 Platinum in the P5 engine
Nocturne remake in P5 engine
Strange Journey 3DS remake in EO engine

These are my super low key hopes.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
There's 225 demons in P5, if I'm not mistaken, right? I guess if they can get it close to 300 that wouldn't be too bad.

Demons? No. There's about 190. The rest are party member and DLC Personas, which obviously wouldn't be used in an SMT.

If this is an HD title on PS3/PS4/Switch, I wonder how people are gonna react to the inevitably lower demon count. Didn't SMT4A have like 450+ demons?

Having half a thousand demons sure as hell didn't do the gameplay any favors. Copy pasted stats everywhere and no skill inheritance rules meant that I sometimes didn't even look at the shit I was fusing. Quality over quantity plz.

Qblivion

lol at every one having high expectations and not being jaded as fuck about anniversary events. You'll get an art book if you're lucky.

FluxWaveZ

lol at every one having high expectations and not being jaded as fuck about anniversary events. You'll get an art book if you're lucky.

lol at people still thinking this when we're talking about Atlus, especially when they just had an anniversary for the Persona series last year which resulted in Persona 5's release.

silva1991

I can't wait for a higher budget SMT with 3D battles on PS4.

I wanted to buy the last two games, but 2D battles turned me off.

duckroll

If you asked me how many demons are in old SMT games I wouldn't be able to tell you

I think honestly anything more than 150 is satisfactory. There needs to be a good range for base demon seeds across the different races and stuff so the player has a sense of variety early in the game. But once you get to the upper tiers, less is usually better simply to allow for balance of stronger top-tier demons and making them feel more unique. So anything more than that is generally just gravy and filler.

crinale

Please be on PS4, HD demons are just too awesome to ignore.

Atlus mention about 25th anniversary at Dengeki Playstaion Magazine's interview so I think it is coming to Playstation at least..
However that only grants the "25th anniversary" thing comes to PS and not necessary SMT5 :p

Zebetite

Banned

idk, atlus putting I through IV into the spaces surrounding a pentagram and then the word "next" into the fifth empty slot is pretty suggestive. not that i don't doubt atlus' prowess when it comes to meaningless announcements, but it's kinda on them if people get hype

_Ryo_

Atlus mention about 25th anniversary at Dengeki Playstaion Magazine's interview so I think it is coming to Playstation at least..
However that only grants the "25th anniversary" thing comes to PS and not necessary SMT5 :p

Interesting. I'd be okay with a Nocturne remake, with voice acting this time.

crinale

Interesting. I'd be okay with a Nocturne remake, with voice acting this time.

Just saw the scan and it was from Famitsu lol, so it may be Switch exclusive :D
Again it shouldn't be pointing to SMT5, and I think SMT5 would miss this year

marmoka

Banned

You forgot SMT4 + SMT4A remastered in HD using the P5 engine

I need this thing... and all those you posted

Now that Persona 5 completed the 3D Demon models, we're ready for another swarm of SMT titles. Get ready folks, Atlus is gonna take us on wild rides all over again.

That's what I'm hoping for. And still hoping to see a SMT Nocturne/Digital Devil Sagas remaster collection.

I really wish they would rerelease the Kazuma Kaneko WOrks art books in a set in the US like they did The Sky (which I just got for Christmas). Also bring out the OG SMT games for Android or some other platform than Apple devices, because I will never own one.

Joqu

Please reveal yourself, Kaneko

No one would even notice.

I think 4 and 4A had way too many actually.

Yeah, same. They really don't need as many demons as 4 had. Plus I'm sure they'd add some demons to the P5 batch anyway, so you'd end up with a good number of them.

_Ryo_

Also wouldn't mind a remake of Demon Summoner with actual 3D exploration and backgrounds outside of battles and cutscenes. I mean the prerendered backgrounds are very pretty but also very static and boring.

Aww yeah.

Wait, I'm still barely into Apocalypse...

Wait. I just realized the header of the site says....

真・女神転生 25th Anniversary Projects

Multiple titles!

It'd be cool if it was both Shin Megami Tensei V and a Shin Megami Tensei I, II and if remastered collection.

I can't wait. There basically isn't any series in the industry I respect more than SMT. 20+ years, the games range from good to some of my favorites ever, gameplay that tweaks a solid monster collecting weakness hitting formula in seemingly endless permutations, Atlus' work with Megaten is the gold standard of how to manage a long running series.

Then I wonder why nobody else copies them, and remember that Persona has already outsold main SMT to date. 😂 Shine on, you crazy niche bastards. I'll always be here.

fireflame

There are not that many demons, tbh Inever felt overwhelmed by the amount of demons. I do not try to get all of them tbh, only to build powerful ones. It would be interesting to have a smt not happening in tokyo, like Strange Journey. I have a lot of love for SJ because it has a unique atmosphere.

crinale

How does it being in Famitsu imply Switch exclusive?

Atlus was also answering some interview on Dengeki Playstation but never mentioned about SMT 25th anniversary.
Anyway I don't mean to that was implied but wanted to say it is rather possible.

Opa-Pa

The huge amount of demons in IV and IVA always felt more like a "consolation feature" than anything, they went for a lower budget project so they used as much demon art as possible, sometimes with mixed results...

mqdefault.jpg

Apocalypse made demons matter more with the affinity system, but there were still too many and they became disposable too quickly because of it, I liked it better in Nocturne, so having 150+ AND skill affinities would be ideal for me.

V for PS4 would be great, and it's very likely IMO (3DS is on its way out and Switch-only would be risky), but I wouldn't mind remasters of the PS2 games and/or a remake of I... One can dream.

krossj

Cool, looking forward to hearing some info on this. Perhaps SMTIVA was to try out some gameplay things before whatever is next. Speaking of Apocalypse, still have to give that a start.

kewlmyc

That's a lot of freaking remakes.

Just give us SMTV or a SMT spinoff (not Persona) on an HD console.

Oregano

I don't think we're going to get SMT from anyone other than the core team who made SMT4 and SMT4A, so....

Not because Level-5 cares to make a PS4 game, but because Bandai Namco is paying them to make it for the international audience. Come on.

I do think if there is a new console style SMT is likely on PS4 along with whatever other platforms they can manage. The assets from Persona 5 would scale for anything really. P5 is a PS3 and a PS4 game, Atlus is not expected to have super amazing graphics for their titles, so it would support anything from a Switch to a Scorpio.

Is Square Enix making SaGa Vita exclusive a better example?;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom