• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei appreciation thread

Tokubetsu

duckroll said:
It should also be mentioned thta SMT Imagine officially takes place between SMT1 and SMT2 in the timeline. It's set in Tokyo after the apocalypse but before it has evolved to the state of SMT2. There's a lot of interesting information too, but seeing how it's a Japanese MMORPG that most people will never get to play.... I'm not really keen on translating the entire articles that are on Watch Impress and ITmedia. :(

I was just about to say how the chances of this ever leaving japan are slim to none ='(

It's not really worth bothering. I'm sure some are interested in the general idea of the title, but getting into specifics hardly seems worthwhile for noted reasons.

I'm hoping it turns out well after all of this time and if I can somehow force myself into the open beta, I will. If not, no real loss on my part. There's really a negative chance of it hitting here. Worse than zero. I cannot see Atlus USA wanting to pay to maintain servers, etc... not to mention I just doubt it would do that well.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
duckroll said:
It should also be mentioned thta SMT Imagine officially takes place between SMT1 and SMT2 in the timeline. It's set in Tokyo after the apocalypse but before it has evolved to the state of SMT2. There's a lot of interesting information too, but seeing how it's a Japanese MMORPG that most people will never get to play.... I'm not really keen on translating the entire articles that are on Watch Impress and ITmedia. :(

Shit, I`ll definitely be playing it. I`m still sad that SMT NINE never had the online portion they intended to include in it.

duckroll

TheTrin said:
Shit, I`ll definitely be playing it. I`m still sad that SMT NINE never had the online portion they intended to include in it.

Dude, you already are. SMT Imagine is -definitely- Devil Busters Online in P3. They even have the same locations, settings, terms and shit. :lol

7Th

Anyone knows where can I download the credits song from Nocturne or at least can tell me it's name?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
7Th said:
Anyone knows where can I download the credits song from Nocturne or at least can tell me it's name?
the name is staff roll or something like that.

Avalon

Error2k4 said:
the name is staff roll or something like that.

Staff Roll is correct (according to the OST the came with Nocturne).

Megaten is the only series I continue to enjoy immensely.

Error

HO-LY SHIT!

I just beat the 5th kalpa and the scene where the hero
becomes a demon
gave me goosebumps.

this game is so ****ing epic. I'm looking foward to P3 and all but it'll be really hard to top this. really hard.

and doing the labyrinth is totally worth it, it adds to the story of the game, the boss battles are awesome, I like the labyrinth it presented a challenge at least and the prices and treasure inside are more than worth the trouble imo.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I would just like to say here, that I, whom pre-ordered DDS PAL, have yet to recieve my copy. it's been ages since the launch, I see stores stocking it. I tried mailing Ghostlight on three different adresses, I tried calling them. NO ****ING REPLY!

Now, I know that the customs in my country(Norway) are shit. if something costs more than 200 NOK($32) it will have to go through customs and be taxed and stuff...

My friend who bought a 'the strokes' jacket online had to wait two months for it to arrive -_-;

But why the **** won't ghostlight give me a tracking number or what not? ;_;

I'm gonna have to hire people in england, USA, Japan so I can pre-order things effectivly.

Error

wow you still dont have DDS? :/

oh and I think I should be able to cap the true demon ending and upload it on youtube or something so people can see what they missed too bad I saved over the file with the scene I just mentioned it was an awesome scene.

Brobzoid

Error2k4 said:
wow you still dont have DDS? :/

oh and I think I should be able to cap the true demon ending and upload it on youtube or something so people can see what they missed too bad I saved over the file with the scene I just mentioned it was an awesome scene.

6 endings right? I just beat the matador after some months of not playing. Dunno where I was going and where I want to go :\ :/ :|

Error

you beat matador? cool!

well you are on the ginza underpass now, you are on your way to ikebukuro. keep playing man! be sure to do the first kalpa before entering the Mantra HQ

Brobzoid

I don't know about the kaplas. Are they like side-quests? Do you have to search for them or are they like in your face?

Error

Brobzoid said:
I don't know about the kaplas. Are they like side-quests? Do you have to search for them or are they like in your face?
go to a terminal (those barrel looking things where you save) and instead of save choose the option above it, think it's something about transporting you to other places and when you do search for Labyrinth of Amala select that one.

Brobzoid

Yazan said:
Need som help, cant beat the boss in the fourth kalpa. Any tip?

Now here's a boss that's no pushover. Some good preparation is needed here; first of all, ingesting the Satan Magatama to protect you from instant death. Second, your party may need a makeover; you need as many people who are immune to death as possible. Don't stop there though, go for immuntities to force and electricity as well. Primarily what you want to do is create a Red Rider; it's one of the fiend bosses so there are quite a few ways to create it, but its elemental defenses are amazing. During the actual fight, start the battle by absolutely maxing your power and minimizing his. This is important. When all that is set up, you'll need to use the most powerful attacks you have. Physical and fire are best here; fire is the only damage he isn't strong against besides almighty. Hit as hard and as fast as you can here, because after a few turns, he'll tell you the real fight begins and Dekunda and Dekaja everything, and continue to do it for the rest of the battle, making them useless. That's why you want to get off as much damage as possible near the start, because he has a lot of life. Other than that, continue to hit him with physical and fire, using Focus constantly, and he will die but, it's almost guaranteed to take a long time.

| HP: 16,000 |
| MP: 10,000 |
| Physical.....Strong |
| Fire.........N/A |
| Ice..........Strong |
| Electricity..Strong |
| Force........Strong |
| Almighty.....N/A |
| Expel........Repel |
| Death........Repel |
| Curse........Void |
| Nerve........Void |
| Mind.........Void |

from Gfaqs.

Brobzoid

fuse something that would result in a fairy in a deathstone fusion in a 'new' phase on the moon-thingy.

edit; still Gfaqs' info.

Brobzoid

well, seeing as how I am just starting the first kalpa, I can' really help you. sorry.

Error

I'm almost there now, I beat
Isamu
took me almost an hour because of how the battle is set up and how I didn't have the best skills against him.

playing the last dungeon again reminds me how tedious this dungeon is considering the diet building (one of the best dungeons ever imo) is the dungeon before it the Kagutsuchi Tower is just annoying, the boss battles rock the house tho. specially against the kotowari leaders.

oh and the Kotowari boss battle theme rox so ****ing much.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
You all are making me want to play Nocturne again. The first time I beat the game I got the Musubi ending, but I kept a save just after finishing the Labyrinth of Amala so I could go back and try for the best ending.

In the meantime I'll listen to the game's awesome soundtrack.

Error

OMG, I didn't know I have a save file right before that awesome scene when you cleared the labyrinth of amala just watched it again, holy shit scene gives me goosebumps.

Error

so.. I saw this.

0761554475.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V61747084_.jpg

hopefully the boxart is something like that.

Ok, so I'm finally ready to see what the fuss about this series is. Can anyone explain what Persona has to do with this series?

Also, where's a good place to play catch up on the series? Mind you I live in the UK, and the only ones available are Lucifer's Call and Digital Devil Saga. (this one was recently released)

Lucifer's Call is cheaper, but which is better?

Error

Magicpaint said:
Ok, so I'm finally ready to see what the fuss about this series is. Can anyone explain what Persona has to do with this series?

Also, where's a good place to play catch up on the series? Mind you I live in the UK, and the only ones available are Lucifer's Call and Digital Devil Saga. (this one was recently released)

Lucifer's Call is cheaper, but which is better?
Persona is a spinoff from of SMT (there are a lot of spinoff for example Devil Summoner is another spinoff)

Lucifer's Call is a fancy name for SMT3:N

DDS is more story oriented but it's still a dungeon crawler at heart, the story is given more attention than in Nocturne.

I prefer Nocturne but DDS is amazing in it's own right, I love both actually but if I have to choose I go with Nocturne

and Nocturne is basically Pokemon :)

you could check that hardcore gaming site it has a section dedicated to SMT and all of it's game. it's a pretty good read, tho there some mild spoilers in it.

here's the site: http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/megaten/megaten.htm

Himuro said:
Start with DDS 1+2, then play Persona 2, THEN Nocturne.

Start low, and build up your skills.

It might be hard for me to get some of these games since I live in the UK. :(

I would like to play the Persona games too, but I've never heard of them being released here.

Thanks for the link Error, exactly what I was hoping to get to play serious catch up on the series. Didn't know it goes all the way back to famicom days. o_O

**** yes, I love Prima for making a Devil Summoner guide. It annoyed the hell out of me that there weren't any for the Digital Devil Saga. I think I got most of the secrets in the first game, except for taking on the Hitoshura and the Boss of the Five (oris it Four?) Holy Beasts. I know I missed a lot of shit in DDS2.

Himuro said:
Well, start with DDS, and if it's for you, get DDS2. After that check out Lucifer's Call.

Seriously, do this. The Digital Devil Saga will prepare you for Nocturne, its combat system is more forgiving because you get to keep every skill you learn and completely control what skills your party members learn. You'll learn the ins and outs of the Press Turn battle system, figure out what skills you think are useful, and be completely ready for Nocturne/Lucifer's Call if you do make that leap.

Ok, thanks guys, you've been great help.

BTW what system is Persona 2 on? I can enable my PS2 to play any kind of import PS1/2 games, but I usually only import when I'm pretty sure I'm guaranteed enjoyment of whatever I get.

Really? That's pretty dirt cheap when I convert to £s. Awesome.

Okay so,

DDS -> Persona 2 -> Lucifer's Call it is.

Thanks again guys.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This thread has just about teased me enough. I read every page with growing interest and DDS will be mine real soon. I've seen some gameplay vids and it seems the battles are really fast-paced and the gameplay itselfs seems pretty engaging too.

Remedy

Banned
you know, i bought SMT: LC on it's release, played up to that section that had the 3 pyramids. Had to stop there and concentrate on my degree.

Anyway, haven't played it since then. Was thinking of getting back into it.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I've been trying to get into the original Persona as of late, but been failing something crazy. Game is just not that good. :( I'll probably try up P2 once I clear some of my current games.
It's just mind boggling how bad the menus are for a playstation era RPG.

dili

Remedy said:
you know, i bought SMT: LC on it's release, played up to that section that had the 3 pyramids. Had to stop there and concentrate on my degree.

Anyway, haven't played it since then. Was thinking of getting back into it.
You're not that far from the end. You just have the diet building after that before you reach the final dungeon.

I can't play an RPG and stop playing it once I've gotten pretty far. If I ever come back to it I pretty much completely forgotten what to do :(

dili

Himuro said:
Well, start with DDS, and if it's for you, get DDS2. After that check out Lucifer's Call.
Indeed. Play DDS1-2 before you play nocturne. So you can see how incredibly better SMT3 is compared to DDS1-2

Error

dillenger said:
Indeed. Play DDS1-2 before you play nocturne. So you can see how incredibly better SMT3 is compared to DDS1-2
argh, they are both great games

Top Bottom