• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei appreciation thread

Bebpo

Banned
WalkMan said:
Hey Bebpo, you gonna be reviewing Persona3 or what?

Yeah, next up is Xenosaga but if I'm not done with ep3 by next week when P3 comes out I'm gonna drop XS probably and play P3 since it looks far more interesting.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Why did Persona 3 and Rockman ZX have to be scheduled so damn close to each other?? It`s going to be hard to get to Persona 3 with ZX in front of me...

Bebpo

Banned
TheTrin said:
Why did Persona 3 and Rockman ZX have to be scheduled so damn close to each other?? It`s going to be hard to get to Persona 3 with ZX in front of me...

Hey, you have a week! How long can a Rockman game take?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Bebpo said:
Hey, you have a week! How long can a Rockman game take?

If it`s Zero hard? Forever? :p

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
It's been ages since I last visited this thread, so the Famitsu review is next week?

Amir0x

Banned
I can't wait to live the life of a typical Japanese demon-summoning kid going through his school life! Awesome.

It looks so very interesting.
And I want it to turn out so very, very good.

But I still can't get past the dungeons--not looking good. And the battle system looks...eh. And while I LOVE the art, some of it's a little...weird.

I want it to be good, I just am not certain that it really will be.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Himuro said:
We've barely seen any of the dungeons and battle footage.
not only that but...

but they'll act on their own--they can even be instructed to explore environments on their own, so rather than run around like a choo-choo train through various dungeons, you can actually split up

omg with that, dungeons=awesome.

one of the importers/japanese gaffers should start an official thread since the hype is coming to a head :D

I'm worried that i am going to import and play this before the US release.. first time playing a game and not really understanding since SNES :X

Senretsu

The only reason I've been hesitant to try these games is that people say they are too difficult. I don't mind hard games, but RPGs are a bit more time consuming than other games so I've just been waiting on them, however i've always admired the look of them.

thetrin

Himuro said:
We've barely seen any of the dungeons and battle footage.

There`s tons of battle footage in the trailers. Dungeon footage, on the other hand, is a different story.

Abel

Review of Persona 3

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/821/viploader2178533ao.jpg

Scores of....
9/8/8/8

as well as new Persona 3 scans

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4016/persona3scan394kr.jpg

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/401/persona3scan404lz.jpg

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/2718/persona3scan415uw.jpg

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2096/persona3scan422ao.jpg

Looks like the lil boy is revealed this time
I think its Main/Hero as a kid?
Once again let me reiterate this... cant wait to play this game! again! [E3]

Abel

Strangely, the tone of the descriptions don't reflect the numbers they hand out. Actually, I'm not sure those descriptions are helpful or not. Ah, the quality of Fami reviews...

Can you summarize or extrapolate on what they say? :D

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Haven't finished Raidou yet... dunno if I should get this. Aegis is so tempting though.

WYWY

Abel said:
Can you summarize or extrapolate on what they say? :D
I'm not the best for the job. Probably someone else can do much better than me, but I can give a try.

Reviewer 1:
A new unique world that inherits gameplay features and specifics such as creature-development from Shin Megami series, and also create new ones of its own. School life in the day. Battles in the night. Develop persona during school life. (some untranslated bit)
Score: 9 (what the *&%$$%#* did you write in the text to result in 9!?)

Reviewer 2:
Several auto-events(cut-scenes I think) in the start. Interact with people in the day, which will have much impact in the adventures at night. Persona evolved and different from the first games, interesting(?). Random dungeons may feel tiresome.
Score: 8 (better than first guy, but still wanting)

Reviewer 3:
Switch between shool life and battles. Interaction with people will have strong effect on the Personas. School life portion can be better done (need better translation). Combat is simple, but also feature-rich, plus may involve trial-and-error. Progression can be slow.
Score: 8

Reviewer 4:
Like the visuals and music. It's about school life adventures and random-generated dungeons. Evolution of the 'Persona' series. Will be good if school life part is more interesting.
Score: 8

Error

random generated dungeons........ :(

and the school life stuff not being interesting makes me worry about this game, I thought that was one of strong selling points... then again famitsu doesn't finish games, they probably played like 3 hours of it.

Emotions

Error2k4 said:

Yeah, I'm not much of a fan of random generated dungeons, but i don't dislike them just prefer non-random dungeons. The concept of the game seems quite interesting as does the characters and it's Atlus so i'll get it anyways.

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
I'm cool with 33.

Error2k4 said:

and the school life stuff not being interesting makes me worry about this game, I thought that was one of strong selling points... then again famitsu doesn't finish games, they probably played like 3 hours of it.

You said it.

FateBreaker said:
DIDN'T I SAY THE DUNGEONS WERE MAKING ME LOOK SCARED???

AHHHHAHAHAH.

...This sucks. I hate that I was right. =(

yeah i can confirm YOU JINXED IT! :b

i KNEW this game was going to have an unneccesary, self-inflicted, thorn in side

ethelred

Random dungeons aren't automatically going to kill the game.

While it's usually implemented poorly in RPGs, there ARE plenty of games that have pulled random dungeons off pretty damned well. Don't lose all hope.

Himuro said:
Guys what's wrong with random dungeons?

well when i think of a random dungeon, and this may be a misconception, i think of one that can't really do lots of the puzzle aspects that make tromping through dungeons fun and i think more of Diablo point-and-click grindfests :/

Himuro said:
Never played Dark Cloud games? Think of it this way. One night you go to the dungeon, you turn in for bed later, go to school, and then that night when you return to the dungeon it's different. That's all. I don't see the big deal at all, in fact, I think that'll make the dungeons funner than ever before.

Random dungeon = the dungeon's layout changes when you return to it.

I have not played the Dark Cloud games so i can't really comment on them. my only problem with having constantly changing dungeons is that they will (i assume) lack deliberate design. I think the best, and most intersting dungeons are the ones that have very deliberate design in order to make it feel like an adventure more than random encounters as you work your way toward a boss.

The randomness also needs to be explained into the story for it to work if you are literally going to see a different dungeon every time you go into the same one i.e. your example of it being different when you get back from school.

i dunno, not saying it will ruin/break the game, but that coupled with the possiblity that i'm only controlling one character (which i don't believe) the game could be a lot worse than the masterpiece im hoping for :(

EDIT: shouuld i give Dark Cloud a try? and if I'm only going to play one, which one should I play?

birdchili

meltpotato said:
I think the best, and most intersting dungeons are the ones that have very deliberate design in order to make it feel like an adventure more than random encounters as you work your way toward a boss.

Of course, this didn't stop Nocturne (for example) from having some *drab* dungeons (in fairness, there were some good'uns too).

The advantage of random dungeons is that you can have a lot of dungeons without as much development. The disadvantage (of course) is as above, as well as the fact that a lot of random-dungeon-generators are spectacularly bad.

meltpotato said:
EDIT: shouuld i give Dark Cloud a try? and if I'm only going to play one, which one should I play?

Dark Cloud 2. Better in pretty-much every way. One of the good examples of random dungeon use too.

Error

FateBreaker said:
DIDN'T I SAY THE DUNGEONS WERE MAKING ME LOOK SCARED???

AHHHHAHAHAH.

...This sucks. I hate that I was right. =(
I don't mind random generated dungeons tbh, hell Dark Cloud 2 was a great game and it had random dungeons.

as long as the battle system is good, the story tight and the community aspect solid I'm happy :)

Bebpo

Banned
While I think random dungeons can be fine, there is a point to be made that the best things that R&D1 games have going for them are their eleborate, challenging, and well-designed dungeons so random dungeons will be disappointing. But then again Devil Summoner's dungeons were a huge step down from SMT/DDS dungeons so P3 can't be any worse I think.

birdchili

Bebpo said:
best things that R&D1 games have going for them are their eleborate, challenging, and well-designed dungeons

these are the Nocturne folk?

how about: art, combat systems, and not insulting your intelligence (as much as most rpgs).

i think certain games work decently well with random dungeons: the kill monsters, take their loot, level up, repeat variety... more story-driven games are likely to be hurt as random dungeons often lack a sense of "place" that makes for a really immersive world/environment.

corollary: Dark Cloud 2's story is painfully awful.

well-designed dungeons are going to be better than random dungeons. random dungeons are a design decision that lets you spend your dev time doing something other than designing dungeons, but they don't make better dungeons.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Random dungeons noooo :(

Then again, I should be cautious. The only randomly generated crap I've experienced has been either downright terrible (stuff like coded arms) or all right. Eh, we'll see.

birdchili said:
well-designed dungeons are going to be better than random dungeons. random dungeons are a design decision that lets you spend your dev time doing something other than designing dungeons, but they don't make better dungeons.

while i agree with this on average, i think if dungeons were randomly generated in a way to function within the story they could actually be better.

for example, some sort of backstory of perhaps a demon creating some dungeon that is never the same thing twice and is like a complex, dynamic Labyrinth of Knossos. maybe that is just wishful thinking, but i do believe that there is potential for great random dungeons that actually fit with the story and enhance replay value.

as for SMT games not insulting you intellegence like other games.. QFMFT

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Random dungeons suck, and any game that could work well with random dungeons (like a Diablo clone) is probably fundamentally flawed, just like Diablo.

Chairman Yang said:
Random dungeons suck, and any game that could work well with random dungeons (like a Diablo clone) is probably fundamentally flawed, just like Diablo.

Nice donkey punch post.

I'll go with "if the generator's good" wait-and-see approach. This is R&D1, so there's lots of evidence for hope. :D

Teasel

Bebpo said:
While I think random dungeons can be fine, there is a point to be made that the best things that R&D1 games have going for them are their eleborate, challenging, and well-designed dungeons so random dungeons will be disappointing. But then again Devil Summoner's dungeons were a huge step down from SMT/DDS dungeons so P3 can't be any worse I think.
mmm... i didn't play much DDS but Nocturne Dungeon weren't that great
also i don't mind random dungeon so it isn't a big problem for me

thetrin

Error2k4 said:
I'll await duckroll's impressions.

Count for one week. Bebpo, myself, duckroll and sp0rsk should have copies to talk about.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Here's why I don't like SMT3 (stolen from an old post of mine):

The random battle encounter rate sucks. I fight the same one or two groups of enemies dozens of times before the next area and next batch of one or two enemies hits. I'm used to this in jrpgs, but SMT:N has a higher encounter rate than any other jrpg I've played, coupled with random battles that usually take little else than a pulse to get through and gigantic maze dungeons that have me hitting dead ends and backtracking and falling through holes in the ground for what seems like forever, while those battles hit me relentlessly. I'm not challenged by this in any way, just frustrated.

The bosses end up being trial and error exercises. Without the ability to switch the parasite things in battle or any other way of knowing the alignment of the boss without referencing gamefaqs, your main character will often end up killing off any chances of taking a boss the first time (extra turns and all that), unless you use a gimp non-aligned parasite.

The character customization system isn't bad, but it's also nothing special. I thought the main character's ability pool was pretty small, and getting a set of abilities you want ouf of critters through fusion and all that can feel very limiting without a ton of extra leveling up. Levels themselves are also so important that, yeah, even more extra leveling up. When I find the random battles themselves to be tedious.

Great art/music/death screen/whatever doesn't save this for me. The game is seriously archaic, just like most RPGs in the PS2 gen (with the exception of a few gems like BOFV).

Random battles need to die. Slight variations on the same outdated gameplay mechanics need to die. Dungeon crawling? Excellent with the right gameplay mechanics, but Nocturne really doesn't do that for me.

Top Bottom