• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei appreciation thread

DDS2 isn't too bad until you get to the last area. Then it's pretty much a gauntlet of bosses. Some you'll probably be prepared for and some you probably won't. Then there's the optional ones, but that's obviously another story.

Personally, I think they're pretty comparable difficulty wise overall.

Hmm, you guys thinks DDS2 was harder than 1? My impression was the reverse ... ah, well. Some of it comes down to getting lucky with ability-learning choices, I guess, and maybe I just had more experience by the time I got to DDS2.

WalkMan

Banned
Darunia said:
Heh, I'm in for a treat then :eek: I've started playing DDS and it's been really engrossing. It's my first Megaten game so I'm still kinda figuring things out. I like the game a lot though, it forces you to pay attention during every battle. Currently I'm in this dungeon filled with trap doors and enemies throwing status ailments around.

Is it normal that I'm not acquiring abilities at a rapid rate? Even with the devour ability most of the spells take a while to get mastered. Maybe I should get all of my characters to learn the next hunting abilities. There's a lot of branches to learn stuff from and it's going slow. Right now I use Agrilla as main character and I've taught her some basic elemental spells, next to advanced healing. Heat uses attacks from the physical branch and Serph has some support abilities (void death, void expel) next to his ice attacks. Any recommendations are welcome concering character set ups and hunting.

The battles are entertaining and really fast paced. It makes the high encounter rate less noticeable. The enemy designs are great and pretty varied, one of the best points of this game I think.
Have all your characters learn the upper devour and iron stomache abilities ASAP. Anyways I have my Serph focusing in Ice but he's completed most of the tech-tree saved for the final ones, same with all my characters. I just don't know what's effective and what's not. Agrilla I use as my main healer, she heals and cures alignment. Heat I use for physical. How effective is ailments? I've been interested but feared that bosses were immune to it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
WalkMan said:
Have all your characters learn the upper devour and iron stomache abilities ASAP. Anyways I have my Serph focusing in Ice but he's completed most of the tech-tree saved for the final ones, same with all my characters. I just don't know what's effective and what's not. Agrilla I use as my main healer, she heals and cures alignment. Heat I use for physical. How effective is ailments? I've been interested but feared that bosses were immune to it.

Yeah I'll probably work on the hunt tree abilities next and cancel all the ones I was mastering now, I need to speed the process up. About status ailments: I have the feeling that status ailments are more useful in this game than in other RPG's, since some enemies you encounter are weak to certain status ailments. I've encounterd angels that were weak to death, capricorns that were weak to ailments in general, etc. So maybe there are bosses who have an ailment weakness to, wouldn't know.

Avalon

First thing I did in both DDS is have atleast two characters that have AP Boost and AP Divided... This way I can have them devour enemies and the hole party benefits. Makes leveling Mantras a lot easier.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I wish SMT3 hadn't been so hard. I had a rough time of it and finally gave up after the first Dante battle. I think that's aroung hour 9 or 10. I loved the game, the atmosphere, the art style, everything...everything but the difficulty. The bosses were just evil, if you didn't have the right Magatama ingested.

Was there a way to change Magatama in-battle, or just trial and error? I really want to play this again, but I'm afraid of the frustration factor.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
dante fight is pretty easy just equip the magatama you get from Thor it'll nullified his rebellion attack. you should also have someone that can boost your defenses (rakukaja) since he will use Taunt and that lowers your defense.

Someone give me their DDS1 Box set, QUICK!
I have it and it rox :)

edit: is this the biggest appreciation thread ever or something? :lol

ilbambino

Just started playing Nocturne today , and i'm satisfied with what i've saw . Right now it doesn't appears to be that difficult , does its difficulty increases a lot in the road or what?

Avalon

ilbambino said:
Just started playing Nocturne today , and i'm satisfied with what i've saw . Right now it doesn't appears to be that difficult , does its difficulty increases a lot in the road or what?

Yes.

Error

Himuro said:
I'm pretty proud.
postshr9.jpg

/me highfives himuro

jjasper

I know I am late to the party but when I went to get Megaman today I saw a brand new copy of DDS1 and picked it up without even thinking:D

jjasper said:
I know I am late to the party but when I went to get Megaman today I saw a brand new copy of DDS1 and picked it up without even thinking:D

very wise decision my friend :)

was it the deluxe box set?

Error

Avalon said:
Only DDS1 came with a special box right?

I pre-ordered both and DDS2 only came with a music CD.
yeah DDS1 came with a deluxe box to put both DDS1 and DDS2 in it, isnt Atlus awesome? :p

I dont have the music cd of DDS2 tho :(

Error

do they still ship the OST? I might actually buy another copy of DDS2 just for that :lol

Nocturne is so freaking awesome and handily trumps both DDS games combined. The atmosphere, story, music and gameplay is out of this world and second only to the PS2 FF games.

Error

what's with R&D1 and big ass towers?

first the tower of kagutsuchi in Nocturne, then the Tower of the Temple in DDS and now Tartaros in P3... they sure love towers.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Error2k4 said:
what's with R&D1 and big ass towers?

first the tower of kagutsuchi in Nocturne, then the Tower of the Temple in DDS and now Tartaros in P3... they sure love towers.

phallus symbols. after all, they are AZN.

Error

:lol

I think it more the fact that they can get away with loooooooooong final dungeons with towers. it's easy to make a long dungeon like that.

Error

:sigh

I dunno but Im replaying DDS and enjoying it a lot, the story and everything is awesome. certainly a lot better than most RPGs I have played this gen.

if I have to rank my top 5 rpgs this gen.

1)SMT:N
2)DDS2
3)DDS1
4)DQ8
5)BoFV: DQ

Reilly

Error2k4 said:
:sigh

I dunno but Im replaying DDS and enjoying it a lot, the story and everything is awesome. certainly a lot better than most RPGs I have played this gen.

DDS has a story?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Error2k4 said:
:lol

I think it more the fact that they can get away with loooooooooong final dungeons with towers. it's easy to make a long dungeon like that.

They could have every final dungeon taking place in the pentagon(going down instead of up) but no. Because they don't want deep vaginas, they want tall penises. LOGIC MAN!

Reilly said:
DDS has a story?

Reilly has an agenda?

Error

Reilly said:
DDS has a story?
yep

the story is awesome seriouly I dunno if you played or whatever. DDS1 guerilla like setting in the story is very cool.
the different tribes where trying to 1up the other. also liked how lupa in the end noticed that something wasnt right and he willingly sacrificed himsefl just so that serph and company could find out what exactly was going on. noticed how he became a demon at the end? he didnt ate anyone just like jinana

the characters are awesome. seriously I could go on and on. Dungeon design is also a lot better than Nocturne dungeons imo.

but then I noticed that you just want to troll the game to hell and back and its not worth it.

They could have every final dungeon taking place in the pentagon(going down instead of up) but no. Because they don't want deep vaginas, they want tall penises. LOGIC MAN!
it's easier to put traps like falling floors in towers. ;)

they sure love the falling floors.

Tokubetsu

Every time i look at this thread I feel a gaping hole in my heart, I really need to find DDS1 and 2 for an affordable price. I'm not gonna make the same mistake with Devil Summoner though, getting that DAY ONE.

smt_dds_art_02.jpg

still looking to buy original outer collector's box if anyone is interested.....even bonus material is someone wanted to sell it :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Still playing and enjoying DDS. I'm currently at the Two Princes chapter and I've gone through a shitload of trapdoors. It's a bit cheap that it's the second consecutive dungeon that uses this mechanism, but at least my characters are leveling up good. Serph has got the AP devide ability now, so hunting goes quite a bit faster. Heat is back in the party but I haven't used him since he came back, Gale had better skills and is a better magic user, so I'm sticking with him. Magic > physical attacks in battles, or so it seems.

Error

is it me...? but the ending theme of DDS is one of the best songs ever, I absolutely love when the guitar comes in at the 4 minute mark, sends chills to my spine.

also the ending is so good, I love when
Sera touches Serph hand and then she says "I'll find you..." awwwwwwwww

also.

"Rend, slaughter. Devour your enemies, there is no other way to survive. You can not escape your hunger. Warriors of Purgatory."

:D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man, I really hope they have SMT stuff at TGS. I thirst for some DS SMT action.

Error

Green Biker Dude said:
I thought DDS1's ending sucked though the rest of the game was nice. I'm playing DDS2 now, I hope this one's ending doesn't suck as well.
f u

it didnt suck

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Avalon said:
Shin Megami Tensei I & II DS... This time it makes it US!

I wish...

Well, if it had SMT1 style gameplay, but it was a brand new title, I`d be ALL about it.

Error

Green Biker Dude said:
Shit blows up, I'll find you Serph, the end

It was a good game, but damn that ending sucked hard imo.
what did you expect is one half of the story.... also the boss battle ****ing rocked music was absolutely awesome.

Avalon

Green Biker Dude said:
Shit blows up, I'll find you Serph, the end

It was a good game, but damn that ending sucked hard imo.

It ends a bit abruptly, but it was still good. >_<

Hope you like DDS2. I found it a bit more challenging.

God damn that second to last boss... Meganada I think... Holy crap.

Error

I finished DDS1 in level 38 (was doing a low level run) had grind a little to get that Dark Leader mantra because without magic repel I kept getting raped against Hari Hara.

Magic Repel ftw, battle was epic and it was cool to see my strategy actually paid off! I love the press turn system.

whoever say you need to grind in Nocturne/DDS is wrong wrong. levels mean shit with this type battle system is all about skills.

Top Bottom