• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei appreciation thread

Avalon

NichM said:
If you didn't get "that dark feeling" from games about cannibals trying to stop God from destroying the world, I'm really not sure the problem is the games.

DDS was more of nod at Samsara then anything else...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Avalon said:
Fun Fact, but what does that have to do with anything? :)
that what you people consider stuff like SMT3 'dark' in japan it's totally different they dont view it as 'dark' so it's a safe bet that they are not going mainstream by making games light hearted or 'funny' specially when SMT3 is rated for 'All Ages' in Japan, Persona and Devil Summoner has their own unique atmosphere with different focus so of course they arent going to be like SMT which focuses on apocaliptic settings

Avalon

I really like how Shin Megami Tensei, Devil Summoner, Persona and Digital Devil Saga all have their own distinct feel now. Honestly, looking back they all use to play very similar with only very few gameplay variations.

MegaTen

Banned
I thought the different ratings for various territories had to do with religious themes. As for Atlus marketing and fans of the games, I was referring to countries other than Japan. Mainly North America.

Avalon

MegaTen said:
I thought the different ratings for various territories had to do with religious themes.

The rating system allegedly doesn't take that kind of content into account. As for Nocturne, violence and blood automatically gives it a T rating... the "sexual themes" probably pushed it over to the M rating.

MegaTen said:
As for Atlus marketing and fans of the games, I was referring to countries other than Japan. Mainly North America.

You might have a point. Not regarding the Megaten series in general, but Atlus USA does seem to push a lot of crappy anime titles.

Question for you since you played P3... Does it support widescreen (can't believe I haven't been able to get an answer for this question)?

NichM said:
If you didn't get "that dark feeling" from games about cannibals trying to stop God from destroying the world, I'm really not sure the problem is the games.
I get what he's saying. DDS1 may have a ****ed up premise but it has more of an "anime-ish", happier atmosphere than Nocturne did. Nocturne's atmosphere is all kinds of ****ed up, which is why it'll go down as one of my favorite RPGs of all time.:)

Avalon

I never get boring of good dungeon crawling no matter how dull and repetitive the setting is.
Persona 2 anyone? :lol

I'm still not too sure about the life/dating sim elements though. I've never played a game with those kind of elements... closes thing I can think of is Thousand Arms and western RPG's with heavy emphasis on party relationships.

Avalon

There has been another update to the on the official P3 page about the "Secret Item."

Can anyone tells up what it says? :)

Error

Avalon said:
There has been another update to the on the official P3 page about the "Secret Item."

duckroll, where are you?

duckroll

Avalon said:

It's just the message from the composer this time. Whatever they have planned is still being referred to as a "work" from the team, so it's definitely software based and not another book or an anime series or whatever. It's very, very likely a fandisc but until they announce it for real we won't know the details.

Edit: It's very unlikely going to be a new built. The only people that believe that are people on Gamefaqs. Most fans on 2ch agree that it's more likely a fandisc which will read your P3 saves.

Avalon

duckroll said:
It's just the message from the composer this time. Whatever they have planned is still being referred to as a "work" from the team, so it's definitely software based and not another book or an anime series or whatever. It's very, very likely a fandisc but until they announce it for real we won't know the details.

Edit: It's very unlikely going to be a new built. The only people that believe that are people on Gamefaqs. Most fans on 2ch agree that it's more likely a fandisc which will read your P3 saves.

Oh well, whatever it is, I hope it's bundled with the NA release of P3.

Abel

Like the fandisc that came with Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, but it the US ver it mainly only had the lil anime clip, whereas the japanese version one had more stuff on it. Basically its a lil something that the fans will enjoy :lol

Tokubetsu

Is it okay to revive this bitch? I need help breaking down a brickwall when it comes to beating Nocturne (I need some motivation to grind..to get past Matador...yes I know that's barely anytime in but ='( )

Error

Tokubetsu said:
Is it okay to revive this bitch? I need help breaking down a brickwall when it comes to beating Nocturne (I need some motivation to grind..to get past Matador...yes I know that's barely anytime in but ='( )
I dont think you need to grind for Matador, what party do you have there's a demon or two that makes that fight a cakewalk.

7Th

Tokubetsu said:

Heavy hints ahead:
Get Uzume, not only she'll help a big deal with Matador but she's probably one of the best dungeon crawling healers out there. Dhe remained on my party mid-late game :D .

Avalon

You don't need to grind at all. Buy the Magatama that makes you immune to Force and there should be a demon in your current area that absorbs Force attacks.

What exactly is stopping you from continuing? Things won't really change much as far as pacing goes. Story bits will still be scattered and the game is only going to get more difficult.

Since the topics been revived... What's everyones favorite Megaten OST this generation?

Been listening to them all week and to my surprise I enjoyed Digital Devil Saga I's OST the most. Everything sounds so clean and all instruments sound so much more pronounced then on the other OST (where things generally sound like a mesh of things).

Tokubetsu

Yeah I guess I am underl eveled. (hero is at 14 atm) and I have the necessary demons to create Uzume but I'm too low level to control it (I think I need to be 18.) Aside from the two I need for uzume, I have a high pixie, lilim, asparas and hua po.

Avalon

Tokubetsu said:
Yeah I guess I am underl eveled. (hero is at 14 atm) and I have the necessary demons to create Uzume but I'm too low level to control it (I think I need to be 18.) Aside from the two I need for uzume, I have a high pixie, lilim, asparas and hua po.

You need to recruit and fuse more. Those are pretty weak demons for that area.

Whoa. I'm glad someone resurrected this thread.

I'm trying to find all the fiends in the last parts of Nocturne, and I can't find a FAQ or any detailed info on getting that
full demon ending
. I can't find where all the horsemen fiends are on the overworld, and I know I have to beat them to get into the
Fifth Kalpa
. Oh, but I did already defeat the one in
Shibuya

Can anyone tell me where the others are? I've been searching everywhere.
I do need the final fiends Candelabras to get into the Third Kalpa, right?
?

Avalon

Tokubetsu said:
Any suggestions for the area I'm in? lol

In the little are before you fight Matador there is a SNAKE arcana demon that absorbs Force attacks, get him. Just pick up any new demons you see and check out there fusion results.

I also know a good place to level. Before you enter the underground path there is a highway you can follow. It takes you to the secret entrance of Nihio (SP?). On the map there are some level 18+ demons you can battle. Make sure you take someone with Ice magic and be very careful. You can hit 18 easy, but you can die very quickly.

Big Icarus said:
Whoa. I'm glad someone resurrected this thread.

I'm trying to find all the fiends in the last parts of Nocturne, and I can't find a FAQ or any detailed info on getting that
full demon ending
. I can't find where all the horsemen fiends are on the overworld, and I know I have to beat them to get into the
Fifth Kalpa
. Oh, but I did already defeat the one in
Shibuya

Can anyone tell me where the others are? I've been searching everywhere.
I do need the final fiends Candelabras to get into the Third Kalpa, right?
?

EDIT: Bleh, miss read your question.

Have you beaten all the
Horsemen
yet?

Tokubetsu

Experimenting with the fusion system is something I needed to be doing earlier lol. I just made an inugami..I don't want to fuse my high pixie though =/

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm playing through Devil Summoner now, and it's an interesting game. I'm not very far, 1st episode I believe. Pretty cool. Any general tips for this game guys?

Avalon

Tokubetsu said:
Experimenting with the fusion system is something I needed to be doing earlier lol. I just made an inugami..I don't want to fuse my high pixie though =/

Don't get attached to your demons. High Pixie sucks, fuse that brat off
fuse her with Angel when you hit 18

Kintaro said:
I'm playing through Devil Summoner now, and it's an interesting game. I'm not very far, 1st episode I believe. Pretty cool. Any general tips for this game guys?

Having problems with anything in particular? Game is pretty "meh" challenge wise. Most battles are incredibly easy and all the puzzles are solved by your feline companion.

Error

Kintaro said:
it's an ok game imo, the weakest of the megaten games I played this gen. still a fun ride.

as for tips hm I dunno, game is pretty sraight foward.

nocturne_040204_022.jpg

This is the last fiend I beat, I can't find the other three, and I can't get into the third Kalpa yet. That's where I'm stuck. I should be able to defeat all the fiends before I go into the tower of Kataskushi(sp) right?

Avalon

Big Icarus said:
This is the last fiend I beat, I can't find the other three, and I can't get into the third Kalpa yet. That's where I'm stuck. I should be able to defeat all the fiends before I go into the tower of Kataskushi(sp) right?

Next one should be in the
Hospital
. There is someone in the
second kalpa
that tells you where to find the fiends by the way.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Avalon said:
Having problems with anything in particular? Game is pretty "meh" challenge wise. Most battles are incredibly easy and all the puzzles are solved by your feline companion.

Nah, was just curious. Anything like "check out such and such" or tips with demons or something.

Avalon

Kintaro said:
Nah, was just curious. Anything like "check out such and such" or tips with demons or something.

Not really. Just remember what you told a certain dog and you'll be fine. Game is very forgiving with missable items and such.

Avalon

RegularMK said:
I just bought Persona 2 off ebay.

Will the mailman bring me unprecedented pleasure?

Yes.

There is so much to do in that game. It's also a very long... expect maybe 70 hours on your first run.

Avalon

RegularMK said:
Awesome, this may be just what I'm looking for.

The game has the best cast of characters I have ever seen. Even generic NPCs have a great flare of personality that makes them really memorable. I found myself visiting every single location after every events since people always have really interesting things to say. You gain some pretty intimate knowledge of your party members as well and even though it's often not things that play much of a role in the overall story, it really makes it feel like you know these people and that certainly makes things more dramatic at times.

Story is fairly linear, but there is a lot to do in between story segments. Most side-quest involve the "Rumor System." You basically pick up different rumors around the city and you can spread them to create varies effects. Things such as rare monsters appearing in certain locations, new equipment to buy, magazine prizes. There are also demon rumors you can pick up that leads to a lot of great combat oriented abilities.

Dungeon are fairly involving endurance fest and the battle system isn't too shabby (nowhere near as good as Nocturne/DDS though). Things generally break down into figuring out the contact skills you need to talk your way out of situations and the fusions spell you need to fight your way out of situations.

Anyhow, hope you enjoy. One of my favorite games.

RegularMK

That all sounds awesome to me. I've been craving a game that will completely pull me in. I don't mind linearity at all. In fact, it usually means a better overall story.

Looks like I made a good decision.

Error

Persona 2 is like Pokemon in the sense that you can do a BUNCH of stuff in the game, stuff like getting demons to tell you rumours, chatting with demons, making pacts with them, getting cards fromt them.

there is the whole velvet room, fusion aspect, the hidden arcanas. then there is the rumour system etc... etc...

birdchili

the demon recruitment system in Persona 2 is great... it was a big letdown that Nocturne had such a simple (and largely pointless) system in comparison.

wish i owned this game - i never finished it:( was really enjoying it outside of bleh dungeon design and relentless random encounters.

i'm working on devil summonner now while i ponder new console purchases, future rpg releases, and wish for better weather - so far the familiar stuff feels recycled, and the new stuff isn't nearly as good as Nocturne. sigh.

Tokubetsu

I posted in the P3 thread as well but I don't think it'd hurt hear as well. I'm looking for the 16 wallpapers that came with the Japanese P3 fan disc/pre order disc. Someone on gaf gave them to me last year I think, but that computer is long gone and the wallpapers with it. Jgaffers! help!

noonche

Tokubetsu said:
I posted in the P3 thread as well but I don't think it'd hurt hear as well. I'm looking for the 16 wallpapers that came with the Japanese P3 fan disc/pre order disc. Someone on gaf gave them to me last year I think, but that computer is long gone and the wallpapers with it. Jgaffers! help!

I've got the 1280 x 1024 ones. What's the policy on posting that kind of stuff?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I've got DDS 1 & 2, Devil Summoner and Nocturne. I didn't care for Persona way back in 97, but just recently ordered Eternal Punishment off of Ebay in hopes of giving that series another go around before Persona 3 comes out in July.

Avalon

birdchili said:
the demon recruitment system in Persona 2 is great... it was a big letdown that Nocturne had such a simple (and largely pointless) system in comparison.

Meh. I prefer Nocturne's simply because Persona 2's contact system is ruined by it's repetitive nature. They seriously ****ed up my making you collect tons of tarot cards instead of just Persona card like in the first game.

Error

Avalon said:
Meh. I prefer Nocturne's simply because Persona 2's contact system is ruined by it's repetitive nature. They seriously ****ed up my making you collect tons of tarot cards instead of just Persona card like in the first game.
yup, Nocturne streamlined a lot of the old SMT systems and made them more efficient. chatting with demons in P2 was sometimes annoying because it was needlessly complex.

Top Bottom