• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei appreciation thread

Avalon

Error said:
yup, Nocturne streamlined a lot of the old SMT systems and made them more efficient. chatting with demons in P2 was sometimes annoying because it was needlessly complex.

That's not what I meant. The contact system in Persona 2 was awesome. It had a lot of humor and it was challenging. What I didn't like was the fact that you had to contact the same demon over and over again to get the ridiculous number of tarot cards that you needed.

The first Persona's contact system is still my favorite. Even more challenging then the second game, but you only needed to contact the demon once to get his card.

Himuro shouldn't of been banned. One of the best posters on this board and this topic was a shining example of why.

The man had no agenda, he just loves games.

Avalon

typhonsentra said:
Himuro shouldn't of been banned. One of the best posters on this board and this topic was a shining example of why.

He was a really cool dude., but he just couldn't stay out of the Okami thread... He was unbanned for a little bit and the first thing he does is go back to that damn thread. :(

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Avalon said:
That's not what I meant. The contact system in Persona 2 was awesome. It had a lot of humor and it was challenging. What I didn't like was the fact that you had to contact the same demon over and over again to get the ridiculous number of tarot cards that you needed.

The first Persona's contact system is still my favorite. Even more challenging then the second game, but you only needed to contact the demon once to get his card.
nah, I find it incredibly annoying that to get pact with demon you have to be near perfect with the answers and the character combo.

that's not depth to me. that's needlessly trial and error.

Avalon

Error said:
nah, I find it incredibly annoying that to get pact with demon you have to be near perfect with the answers and the character combo.

You obviously weren't checking out the demons personalities. Once you get that done you should be able to get any demon with that same attitude to join you. Besides, Persona 2 is very forgiving. Demons don't change their responses, in the first game the same exact demon will not react same.

birdchili

Error said:

i recall it making quite a bit of sense though - you needed to pick conversation options that had a tone that would work on the demon you were dealing with - some were arrogant and proud, some meek, some friendly... there was an internal logic to it that played off and helped develop the demon personalities. having the right characters in your party so you could have certain kinds of conversations was a consideration.

truthfully i don't remember it really well - i only played the game for a handful of days.

the system in nocturne was only (marginally) interesting when you had to answer questions. the hp drains and such seemed to never be significant enough to make a choice difficult.

Avalon

birdchili said:
i recall it making quite a bit of sense though - you needed to pick conversation options that had a tone that would work on the demon you were dealing with - some were arrogant and proud, some meek, some friendly... there was an internal logic to it that played off and helped develop the demon personalities. having the right characters in your party so you could have certain kinds of conversations was a consideration.

truthfully i don't remember it really well - i only played the game for a handful of days.

the system in nocturne was only (marginally) interesting when you had to answer questions. the hp drains and such seemed to never be significant enough to make a choice difficult.

Yup, your exactly right. The thing that really brought down P2's system hasn't the contact system, but the fact that you had to do the exact same contact in the same exact way over and over again. Now, that was pointless since the first game had a much deeper system and you only needed to do the contact once to get what you needed in order to create a Persona.

I don't really have anything negative to say about Nocturne's system. It was quick and to the point but I honestly missed actually talking with demons. Nocturne has some pretty tricky question that let you discover things about the demon arcanas but nothing on the same level as all the previous games.

birdchili

Avalon said:
The thing that really brought down P2's system hasn't the contact system, but the fact that you had to do the exact same contact in the same exact way over and over again.

i've conveniently forgotten that part, of course.

i recall using conversation as a risky alternative to dangerous fights too - it was a nifty balance you had to tread while you learned about the demons in an area.

sad to see this system getting progressively less important and challenging gameplay-wise:(

Avalon

birdchili said:
sad to see this system getting progressively less important and challenging gameplay-wise:(

Hasn't even been in the last three games... Persona 3 looks like it has something like it, but it's not the same.

Error

Avalon said:
Hasn't even been in the last three games... Persona 3 looks like it has something like it, but it's not the same.
P3 doenst have a chatting with demons thing.

infact I dont think you even talk to demons in the game

NichM

Banned
Avalon said:

Actually, the last couple pages of this thread has made me realize that Persona 3's social link system is just the demon contact system moved to a different place. Conversing with the different people still ties into battle, since your rank in the various social links powers up your Personas of that arcana... and if you screw up the conversation choices later on, you can stall that social link's growth or reverse it, so there's still risk involved. Plus, you have to choose which arcana you prefer to develop, because each social link is only available on certain days, some of which you'll want or need to be doing other things. So yeah, now that I've had that realization, I'm not as bummed about the in-battle contact system being gone--especially since, in plot terms, P3's enemies are all mindless Shadows who aren't suited to conversation or contracts.

Avalon

NichM said:
Actually, the last couple pages of this thread has made me realize that Persona 3's social link system is just the demon contact system moved to a different place. Conversing with the different people still ties into battle, since your rank in the various social links powers up your Personas of that arcana... and if you screw up the conversation choices later on, you can stall that social link's growth or reverse it, so there's still risk involved. Plus, you have to choose which arcana you prefer to develop, because each social link is only available on certain days, some of which you'll want or need to be doing other things. So yeah, now that I've had that realization, I'm not as bummed about the in-battle contact system being gone--especially since, in plot terms, P3's enemies are all mindless Shadows who aren't suited to conversation or contracts.

Exactly what I was getting at. :)

Tokubetsu

Been trying to understand the fusion chart at gamefaqs to no avail. I'm trying to make an arch angel but I can't figure out what's needed for it. I had the required demons earlier, I saw what I could get but I wasn't high enough level for it at the time =/ help?

details

The SMT series is easily my favorite VG series. I beat DDS1 and DDS2 and right now I'm almost done with Nocturne (I'm almost done with the tower of Kagatsuchi. Just have to fight the leader of the last reason and then finish it). I'm also halfway into reading the novel that the series was based on, it has some problems here and there with the writing but overall it's pretty good.

Has anyone heard anything about the SMT game planned for the PS3? I haven't heard any news about it at all, does Atlus normally do that with the main series or is it just possible that it isn't even close to being done?

Emotions

This thread reminds me that i need to track down a copy of DDS1 , it is so damn hard to find, i was lucky enough to track down copies of
Nocturne, DDS2 and i bought Devil Summoner as well last year, but i want to track down a copy of DDS1 badly!!!, sealed....

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
So I have a PS2 and I'm interested in these games. Where do I start/which ones are worth playing and how hard is each going to be to find?

Bebpo

Banned
details said:
Has anyone heard anything about the SMT game planned for the PS3? I haven't heard any news about it at all, does Atlus normally do that with the main series or is it just possible that it isn't even close to being done?

Well, next is rumored to be Devil Summoner 2, probably for PS2. Then either they'll give us SMT4 on PS3 or X360 or Wii; or if SMT4 is as huge of project as SMT3 (aka, a 3-4 year project that will give a new engine + new demons to use for all spin-off games for the next 5-10 years like SMT3 was), they might still need another year or two so I wouldn't be surprised (since it seems like they have 2 strong R&D1 teams right now) if they did another spin-off series or a Persona 4 while the main team was working on SMT4.

details

Bebpo said:
Well, next is rumored to be Devil Summoner 2, probably for PS2. Then either they'll give us SMT4 on PS3 or X360 or Wii; or if SMT4 is as huge of project as SMT3 (aka, a 3-4 year project that will give a new engine + new demons to use for all spin-off games for the next 5-10 years like SMT3 was), they might still need another year or two so I wouldn't be surprised (since it seems like they have 2 strong R&D1 teams right now) if they did another spin-off series or a Persona 4 while the main team was working on SMT4.

Well if they make a new engine I just hope it's as good as the press turn system and that the art style doesn't change too much.

Maybe they'll repeat last gen and go Main title > DDS spin-off > Devil Summoner > Persona ? I'd personally love to see another DDS title even it isn't related to the other DDS series in any way.

Tokubetsu

Emotions said:
This thread reminds me that i need to track down a copy of DDS1 , it is so damn hard to find, i was lucky enough to track down copies of
Nocturne, DDS2 and i bought Devil Summoner as well last year, but i want to track down a copy of DDS1 badly!!!, sealed....

I completely missed the boat with DDS1 and 2..still need to track them down =/

I bought Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on a whim a few months after it had been released. At that point I had been burnt out on Japanese rpgs for a few years, I'd played a couple--Final Fantasy X, Tales of Symphonia, a Shadow Hearts (I can't remember which)--but none really grabbed. None made me fall in love with the genre all over again. None that is until Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

I had never played an rpg like Nocturne; thematically the game is just so different from what I'm used to seeing from jrpg's, it threw a guantlet in my face with the beginning of the game, the gameplay was traditional but the press turn battle system made combat something you actually had to think about, it was challenging, and OHMYGOD who created the art for all of this!? I was hooked, on SMT and jrpg's again.

I sank well over 60 hours into Nocturne before I finally got stuck betwen one of the lower floors of the Amala Labyrinth and this difficult Fiend that was blocking the way of progressing the main quest. After repeated failures I eventually gave up and decided I'd order the Double Jump guidebook for Nocturne and start my file over when it arrived. I got about ten hours into Nocturne with the guide when it arrived when Digital Devil Saga was released. I got side-tracked, sunk about 80 hours into DDS completing it once and getting 3/4 of the way through it again on a New Game+ file. Then DDS2 came out, I got side-tracked with that. Other rpgs, games and systems came out and I just never got back to Nocturne even though I've always intended to.

Well with the summer break, and no summer time job (yet) I suddenly have more free time than I know what to do with, and today I decided "Hey, why not get back into Nocturne again?"

I started my file up and I'm ten hours in, I'm at Ginza, and I've beaten the Matador in the underpass. I was dicking around in some random encounters and then decided to hop on down to the Amala Labyrinth. And it was the first time in the AL with that save file so I got treated to both the AL intro and that cutscene where you accept the challenge of returning all of the candelabra. It just struck me how f*cking awesome, unique, weird and cool this game was. Nocturne is a few years old now but it just impressed me in a way that so few game have, even the newer stuff that's coming out now on the PS3/Xbox 360/Wii.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
so what's the deal with the distribution of Devil Summoner PAL? I can't find it anywhere. :\

Anyone knows who does the distribution in Scandinavia? I think it's EA or Pan-vision, but I don't know.

Brobzoid said:
what a tacky site... is this GAME's online site? I think I've heard something along those lines.
The point is that I know people who run stores and I get discounts worth waiting for... But I can't wait forever :(
No I don't think their associated with GAME in any way. I usually order my games from here great service and the shipping fees are low.

I've seen PAL Devil Summoner around in loads of places, like Gamestation and HMV.

I just resumed my game on DDS, having recently bought the sequel, so I'm working my way through that at the moment. I'm not sure whether I like it more than Nocturne or not - Having fixed party members has its advantages, and not getting a GAME OVER when the main character dies is a godsend, but I kinda miss fusing things. Ah well.

jaundicejuice said:
I bought Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on a whim a few months after it had been released. At that point I had been burnt out on Japanese rpgs for a few years, I'd played a couple--Final Fantasy X, Tales of Symphonia, a Shadow Hearts (I can't remember which)--but none really grabbed. None made me fall in love with the genre all over again. None that is until Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

I had never played an rpg like Nocturne; thematically the game is just so different from what I'm used to seeing from jrpg's, it threw a guantlet in my face with the beginning of the game, the gameplay was traditional but the press turn battle system made combat something you actually had to think about, it was challenging, and OHMYGOD who created the art for all of this!? I was hooked, on SMT and jrpg's again.

I sank well over 60 hours into Nocturne before I finally got stuck betwen one of the lower floors of the Amala Labyrinth and this difficult Fiend that was blocking the way of progressing the main quest. After repeated failures I eventually gave up and decided I'd order the Double Jump guidebook for Nocturne and start my file over when it arrived. I got about ten hours into Nocturne with the guide when it arrived when Digital Devil Saga was released. I got side-tracked, sunk about 80 hours into DDS completing it once and getting 3/4 of the way through it again on a New Game+ file. Then DDS2 came out, I got side-tracked with that. Other rpgs, games and systems came out and I just never got back to Nocturne even though I've always intended to.

Well with the summer break, and no summer time job (yet) I suddenly have more free time than I know what to do with, and today I decided "Hey, why not get back into Nocturne again?"

I started my file up and I'm ten hours in, I'm at Ginza, and I've beaten the Matador in the underpass. I was dicking around in some random encounters and then decided to hop on down to the Amala Labyrinth. And it was the first time in the AL with that save file so I got treated to both the AL intro and that cutscene where you accept the challenge of returning all of the candelabra. It just struck me how f*cking awesome, unique, weird and cool this game was. Nocturne is a few years old now but it just impressed me in a way that so few game have, even the newer stuff that's coming out now on the PS3/Xbox 360/Wii.

dam straight :)

Avalon

jaundicejuice said:
I got treated to both the AL intro and that cutscene where you accept the challenge of returning all of the candelabra. It just struck me how f*cking awesome, unique, weird and cool this game was.

The little checkpoint scenes in the Amala Labyrinth are so f'en amazing. It really makes you feel like you are learning something extremely important or in some cases, something you were never meant to know. Some of them were down right frightening, but somehow... it just keeps compelling you to go deeper and deeper. The whole thing with the True Demon ending caught me completely by surprised... my quest for knowledge cost me something very important. :(

Jirotrom

Hey guys Ive been trying to get the doublejump guide for Nocturne and I'm wondering if in the UK they are still selling them on the stands? Id be willing to purchase it from any of the UK Gaffers around here.

I finally got around to completing DDS1 the other week after an exhausting process of mastering the mantra for DDS2 bonuses.

That said; i started DDS2 today....holy crap. Its such a change from DDS1's energy draining depressing environment.
The game itself is so reminiscent of SMT2. The apocalyptic environments infused with heavy futuristic influences;the Karma Society resembling the SMT2's Mesians (Law), the very upbeat (and awesome) but futuristic music; and finally the subtle theme of digitalization.

Currently on the way to rescuing Sera in yet another SMT tower climbing dungeon. Though initially disappointed that DDS series focuses solely on dungeon climbing and no exploration, DDS2's very active and vibrant atmosphere makes the experience so much more enjoyable.

Quick question for Euro SMT fans: How is the Koei release of SMT: Devil Summoner compared to Atlus' US release? I'm holding back the temptation of importing in case Koei actually included a 60hz option this time.

sub_zer0 said:
I finally got around to completing DDS1 the other week after an exhausting process of mastering the mantra for DDS2 bonuses.

That said; i started DDS2 today....holy crap. Its such a change from DDS1's energy draining depressing environment.
The game itself is so reminiscent of SMT2. The apocalyptic environments infused with heavy futuristic influences;the Karma Society resembling the SMT2's Mesians (Law), the very upbeat (and awesome) but futuristic music; and finally the subtle theme of digitalization.

Currently on the way to rescuing Sera in yet another SMT tower climbing dungeon. Though initially disappointed that DDS series focuses solely on dungeon climbing and no exploration, DDS2's very active and vibrant atmosphere makes the experience so much more enjoyable.

Enjoy. It only gets better from there. Say hello to the Tribvhana for me.

Anyway, since this is a SMT thread....I heard a rumor that we're going to hear some details on the next "big" SMT project in July. Can anybody else confirm this?

Avalon

diablopanqueque said:
Anyway, since this is a SMT thread....I heard a rumor that we're going to hear some details on the next "big" SMT project in July. Can anybody else confirm this?

Where did you hear that from?

I've just started playing through Nocturne again and I decided to play it on Hard and I had forgotten how unforgiving the game is at that difficulty level. I also just imported Persona 3 Fes but haven't had a chance to crack it open yet but I should get to it by the weekend.

ErinIsADrunk said:
I've just started playing through Nocturne again and I decided to play it on Hard and I had forgotten how unforgiving the game is at that difficulty level. I also just imported Persona 3 Fes but haven't had a chance to crack it open yet but I should get to it by the weekend.

Yeah...Hard mode made me wuite playing the game for a while. I'm about to go to the Tower of Obelisk. The Moirae sisters are going to be a handful. :(

As for my source, I've simply heard it from a friend who is more into Megaten than I am and he's a frequent visitor to these boards yet is also affiliated with a gaming website (can't recall the name of it but it's not mainstream and focuses mostly on gathering info on niche titles from Japan) so his credibility is somewhat legit. I'll have to question his source the next time we meet.

If the news is true and we hear of info regarding SMT4 (or something along that calibur), Atlus will officially become the biggest tease in gaming history.

Error

well uh... R&D1 will most definitely announce somehting soon since P3fes is already out.

Reilly

sub_zer0 said:

DDS1 >>>> DDS2

That's just my opinion.

The thing I hated the most about DDS2 is party members randomly leaving your party. I never knew who to upgrade matra for because I never knew if he/she would be leaving soon.

Also, I thought the environments were stale. I liked the opening city/apartment level, but it's downhill after that. The last dungeon is real dissapointing.

I think, as a whole, DDS1 is better.

JadedOne

sub_zer0 said:

I looove DDS 2 and prefer it to the first. I thought the first dungeon with the jailer was amazing. The upbeat music and the guy chasing you was awesome.

sub_zer0 said:

Prepare to de disapointed, DDS2 story is such a let-down compared to the first one, even though it plays better and faster than the first game.
diablopanqueque said:
Scariest moment in a videogame to date.
You're joking right?

zoukka

Bought Nocturne a while ago and played about 30 hours. Then got stuck with this one demon-boss. Somehow my motivation for playing it was already low so i gave up and sold the game. I cant`t even remember if i had ever done similarly to any other game.

Nocturne had great visuals and sound. The fighting on the other hand was too repetitive and simple. Story was pretty lame too.

Digital Devil Sagas look pretty nice so maybe i will try thr first one someday. Or maybe not.

Avalon

Hate all you want, this is an appreciation thread though. :p

SMT I for the SNES is almost unplayable for me these days... SMT II is still f'en awesome though. I can't believe anyone would say Nocturnes combat and story are weak either.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Avalon said:
Hate all you want, this is an appreciation thread though. :p

SMT I for the SNES is almost unplayable for me these days... SMT II is still f'en awesome though. I can't believe anyone would say Nocturnes combat and story are weak either.
SMT is unplayable :(, i feel bad for people who played this game.

Top Bottom