• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Hashimoto talks possibilites for FFXVI and X-3 (+ comments on other projects)

Red Warrior

Neo Member
X-3? Oh God no. After the horror that was X-2, I don't want my second-favorite FF desecrated further. Unless, as others have suggested, it's a prequel about Braska's journey. I miss the days when each FF was truly standalone. VII has an entire fucking Compilation to its name, and they're about to ruin VII with a remake. Man, I miss PS1 era Square.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I mentioned before that Square needs a story doctor, though I'm willing to bet they need a GOOD director, at least someone like Sakaguchi. Since Sakaguchi's departure, every FF game to be released since then(the period after FFXI in the mainline series) seems like incomplete installments. FFXIV was the only one I think got remedied by Yoshida taking the helm, but every before ARR, it was on par with the others and a LOT Of shit happened behind the scenes. FFXII, FFXIII, FFXIV(Vanilla) and FFXV all had HORRIBLE development cycles with a lot of shit going wrong. If that's how it is, regardless of it being something new, FFXVI will suffer a similar fate of mismanagement unless someone steps in and kicks some asses into gear. Kitase sure ain't gonna do it(he let the whole FFXIII thing happen).

I feel like you and I may have had a few conversations off-site (GameFAQs?) years ago. Can't say for sure.

Anyway, if I'm right we agreed upon the same thing years ago. If I'm wrong, well. I still agree. :p

Considering FFX-3 is developing off a very cringe worthy audio drama and a novel that may as well be fanfiction, I'm very surprised there is demand for it. I love FFX and X-2 but what I read in the novel may as well get the game rated M. I would welcome an X-3 if it is different. It looks to me like it would just be FFX all over again with Farplane corpses joining the party like Braska, etc. What exactly would be different? How will they explain Chuami being Auron's daughter? Why does Chuami insult Lulu for her large breasts? The thing was a trainwreck but they have no choice to build off said trainwreck cause it destroyed the franchise for me kinda. I mean wow, they've invalidated everything we did in X and x-2.

XVI..... why are we even talking about this? XV still needs the dlc and everything...... I wouldn't count on seeing XVI for a long arse time but hopefully not as long as XV took!

Red Warrior

Neo Member
I mentioned before that Square needs a story doctor, though I'm willing to bet they need a GOOD director, at least someone like Sakaguchi. Since Sakaguchi's departure, every FF game to be released since then(the period after FFXI in the mainline series) seems like incomplete installments. FFXIV was the only one I think got remedied by Yoshida taking the helm, but every before ARR, it was on par with the others and a LOT Of shit happened behind the scenes. FFXII, FFXIII, FFXIV(Vanilla) and FFXV all had HORRIBLE development cycles with a lot of shit going wrong. If that's how it is, regardless of it being something new, FFXVI will suffer a similar fate of mismanagement unless someone steps in and kicks some asses into gear. Kitase sure ain't gonna do it(he let the whole FFXIII thing happen).

I legit wonder how much of the current state of FF development is Nomura's fault, especially since he started taking on a larger role in the late PS1/early PS2 era.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Considering FFX-3 is developing off a very cringe worthy audio drama and a novel that may as well be fanfiction, I'm very surprised there is demand for it. I love FFX and X-2 but what I read in the novel may as well get the game rated M. I would welcome an X-3 if it is different. It looks to me like it would just be FFX all over again with Farplane corpses joining the party like Braska, etc. What exactly would be different? How will they explain Chuami being Auron's daughter? Why does Chuami insult Lulu for her large breasts? The thing was a trainwreck but they have no choice to build off said trainwreck cause it destroyed the franchise for me kinda. I mean wow, they've invalidated everything we did in X and x-2.

I'm pretty sure what's happened here is that surprisingly few people seem to know about the audio drama and especially the atrocious novel.

Kuraudo

Banned
So now that Verendus has been confirmed to be full of shit, I guess we can believe Hashimoto when he says development for XVI hasn't started yet...

Seems much more likely that Verendus had some genuine knowledge but decided to troll hard with some provocative bullshit alongside the genuine stuff.

His FFXVI stuff always read like trolling tbh--hinting that it might be a mobile game because otherwise he didn't know how SE are making so many games. Seems perfectly calculated to provoke a reaction.

XVI..... why are we even talking about this? XV still needs the dlc and everything...... I wouldn't count on seeing XVI for a long arse time but hopefully not as long as XV took!

You read the novel?

I legit wonder how much of the current state of FF development is Nomura's fault, especially since he started taking on a larger role in the late PS1/early PS2 era.

Wat. Versus XIII was the first FF Nomura ever worked on as a director. But he technically started taking a large role as early as FFVI. So your post is grossly approximate.

how is it nomuras fault that the SE management is doing all those stupid decision.
Those both engines Crystal Tools and Luminous that were causing so many problems (especially Crystal Tools) - the bombing of FF14 1.0 - the trilogy of FF13

actually im feeling sorry for him

Famassu

FFXII, XIII & XIV suffered from SQEX failing to adapt to more modern development practices (though certainly there were other missteps taken as well) which made their game development inefficient & hard to manage. FFXV was mostly a victim of the prolonged development & the aftermath of the release of XIII & XIV. A "Versus Saga" probably seemed like a good idea before the FF franchise had been dragged through the mud for almost a decade, less so after its full production was delayed until PS4 & X1 were almost upon us and after XIV 1.0 and Toriyama happened.

They've been working on improving on their weaknesses ever since the double-whammy catastrophes of FFXIII & XIV1.0 and they've been showing some obvious signs of improvement, considering they are actually able to actively develop games like FFXV, KHIII, FFVIIR, DQXI, Nier 2, World of FF etc. simultaneously instead of a single game hogging their development pipelines completely, like FFXIV ARR did. The only way I could see them failing to improve further is if they release a commercial flop after commercial flop (as far as JRPGs go) and that discouraging them from even trying anymore. Not that I expect them to release FFXVI in 2018 or anything. Developing modern AAA(A) level games with the scope & ambitiousness of FFXV takes time no matter how good your development pipelines are.

None or very little of it is Nomura's fault, that's silly to even theorize. While he has been more than "just" a character designer for the franchise for a long time, other people have still far outranked him and made the final decisions when it comes to the development & direction any particular FF would take. FFVsXIII was to be the first mainline level FF Nomura would actually direct & be fully responsible of, so blaming him for XIII & XIV is silly as hell.

aadiboy

Seems much more likely that Verendus had some genuine knowledge but decided to troll hard with some provocative bullshit alongside the genuine stuff.

His FFXVI stuff always read like trolling tbh--hinting that it might be a mobile game because otherwise he didn't know how SE are making so many games. Seems perfectly calculated to provoke a reaction.
This narrative that Verendus was some sort of genius troll needs to stop. I don't know why people want to defend him when he's a proven liar. These kind of posts sound like family members trying to justify a relative's crimes.

Madame M

Banned
Yes please, Final Fantasy XVI should definitely switch it up like FFIX did because it was the best one.

The series needs a breath of fresh air.

And not boy band cologne-scented air.

Nomura is a popular scapegoat, but I would pin it on Kitase. He directed FFVI, VII, and Chrono Trigger, so he'll always have my respect for that. As a producer though, his projects are a mess and often seem to go way over budget and schedule.

I mean, from a creative standpoint, everything Nomura directs is LOL, but he's not to blame for SE production woes.

Levito

Banned
What would an X-3 even be about? X had a pretty wonderful ending and X-2 was a fun spin off but I don't know how they'd continue a story after that.

My dream is to let Naoki Yoshida direct XVI and for it to be a new concept we've never seen before.

This is the correct answer.

Nah, I want a FFXII-2. There'a just so much left to show and do in that world, enough to fill another full length game.

They were going to do one but it was cancelled. With Basch as the main character... He would have grown apart from Queen Ashe and faced some ancient Sea King Loemund... Common folks would refer to Basch as "Judge Gabranth" because they still don't know the truth about him... except for Judge Zargabaath, the one surviving Judge from XII. Balthier shows up at the most hopeless moment to save everyone Han Solo-style, bringing with him Vaan and the old cast... Queen Ashe and Emperor Larsa grew close... They had one hell of a story planned.

What would an X-3 even be about? X had a pretty wonderful ending and X-2 was a fun spin off but I don't know how they'd continue a story after that.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741166

Einhander

omg
KuGsj.gif

Praise Sunhi

They were going to do one but it was cancelled. With Basch as the main character... He would have grown apart from Queen Ashe and faced some ancient Sea King Loemund... Common folks would refer to Basch as "Judge Gabranth" because they still don't know the truth about him... except for Judge Zargabaath, the one surviving Judge from XII. Balthier shows up at the most hopeless moment to save everyone Han Solo-style, bringing with him Vaan and the old cast... Queen Ashe and Emperor Larsa grew close... They had one hell of a story planned.

We could have had more Zargabaath, why are you so cruel, Square. Ashe and Larsa is a bit eeeeh, so at least we got saved from that.

(The 2.5 discussion thread was better than the actual radio drama, heh.)

The worst part of Verendus being full of shit is no FF VI remake

...oh, nooooo, I'd forgotten about that.

daevious

It was also being developed by the creators of the 2009 Bionic Commando reboot, which is the biggest mark that the game probably wouldn't have turned out good, let alone capture what allures people to FFXII.

Voror

I'm curious how many want X-3. I'm certainly good leaving as is, though if we got an actual cutscene of Tidus
blowing up

I am very interested in what happens with XVI. I wouldn't expect a battle system like XV of course since I feel a lot of how that one works (summoning weapons, warping) are tied into how that world is. It's nice at least that we can finally get past the baggage and start completely fresh with an all new game. Now we just have to wonder who will be the director.

Some Nobody

So now that Verendus has been confirmed to be full of shit, I guess we can believe Hashimoto when he says development for XVI hasn't started yet...

"Confirmed". We tried this once and the result was FF7 Remake popped up six months later. WHY are we believing Hashimoto at all?

This narrative that Verendus was some sort of genius troll needs to stop. I don't know why people want to defend him when he's a proven liar. These kind of posts sound like family members trying to justify a relative's crimes.

And these kinds of posts read like people want insiders to be wrong/full of shit SO badly. I treat every leak with skepticism, but I'd honestly like most/all of them to be true. Why wouldn't you?

I'll give you that he predicted some way out there shit, some of which might've been so far off it could just as easily be canceled as it could have never existed at all...but it seems like people here feel like the former makes you as big of a liar as the latter. And what I've never gotten is....why? It seems like people derive some sort of perverse satisfaction out of leakers getting caught or being proven wrong, or whatever, and the whole thing goes over my head.

"Confirmed". We tried this once and the result was FF7 Remake popped up six months later. WHY are we believing Hashimoto at all?

And these kinds of posts read like people want insiders to be wrong/full of shit SO badly. I treat every leak with skepticism, but I'd honestly like most/all of them to be true. Why wouldn't you?

I'll give you that he predicted some way out there shit, some of which might've been so far off it could just as easily be canceled as it could have never existed at all...but it seems like people here feel like the former makes you as big of a liar as the latter. And what I've never gotten is....why? It seems like people derive some sort of perverse satisfaction out of leakers getting caught or being proven wrong, or whatever, and the whole thing goes over my head.

i mean the mods (was it Falk?) even confirmed that he had some inside knowledge - however that didn't mean that everything he is saying was right like we saw with his FFXV impression.

Not sure however how people conclude out of that, that everything he said before is now full of shit.

i would take it with a grain of salt, the same as before

_Ryo_

I think I'd rather have X-0, even if we already know what happens.

I mean knowing what happens isnt really a detriment if X-3 were to be based off of X-2.5 Will.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm curious how many want X-3. I'm certainly good leaving as is, though if we got an actual cutscene of Tidus
blowing up

I don't want it all, despite loving the original game. I can appreciate that some folks like its sequel but I abhor it. Tonally, it just ain't my scene.

blowing up

I won't lie but I hate seeing franchises introduce shite and not explain it, therefore X-3 is a necessity for me because it tainted the previous two games and all we did in them. I need to know where Auron's daughter got such a mouth and where she came from, etc. So all in all it is not that I want it to happen but now that we have things unexplained and a cliffhanger, it has to happen for me.

Some Nobody

i mean the mods (was it Falk?) even confirmed that he had some inside knowledge - however that didn't mean that everything he is saying was right like we saw with his FFXV impression.

Not sure however how people conclude out of that, that everything he said before is now full of shit.

i would take it with a grain of salt, the same as before

The only thing we have "confirmed false" from him atm is Prince of Persia. When we got that Assassin's Creed leak it confirmed they were done with that IP.

There's some other stuff that likely ISN'T real, but nothing we can prove right now.

pablito

I think I'd rather have X-0, even if we already know what happens.

I mean knowing what happens isnt really a detriment if X-3 were to be based off of X-2.5 Will.

X0

Braska/Jecht/Auron

X2 battle system

I'd finally like a full game under the X banner. Whew

I'd love either Agni or something VERY similar to it.

I'd love a more medieval offline FF, not futurstic and not modern, but old in the sense of "olde" while not strictly rippin' off LoTR/Game of Thrones/The Witcher style of "olde". No MMORPG, just a single-player offline FF game in a world of dense forests, non-modern clothing and ultra sci-fi cybertech. Then, go crazy with more modern/futuristic set games. Just gimme ONE!

Have a feeling VIIR is taking the XVI development slot and we're not going to see it for a long time :-(

When we do, my vote is for a completely new scenario, not Agni.

Ito, Yoshida, I'd be fine with either directing. Or even new blood! The main thing is they need to wed coherent, driven creative vision with pragmatic development. And get a competent script writer.

Kouriozan

FF X-3 game is worth it just to see
Tidus exploding, Yuna realizing he's stupid and fall in love with someone else.

Top Bottom