• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

-MD-

Yeah I guess the casual changes were just to make it even easier.

Were there really people that couldn't handle casual?

Tried out the game with letter box turned off on my PS4 last night. Talk about a different experience. I wish this was available on my first playthroughs, I'll upload some yt vids later but I didn't really notice any performance issues outside of some cutscenes. Pretty awesome update all around though.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Game looks actually good now with no letterbox and no film grain.

I DID IT. AKUMU IS DONE. 22:00, 368 DEATHS, BUT IT IS DONE.

I am never doing that again.

Some hate this aspect of the game, but I really loved it. Kept you on your toes, even if it can be pretty cheap at times.

Yeah, that's a pretty great way to describe it.

Any general advice? I'll be continuing my Akumu file soon.

CaVaYeRo

Interviewed Shinji Mikami during last week's Gamelab, and here's something in advance:

One of the things that I wanted to do with The Evil Within is sort of the randomness of fear that comes while you're playing the game. This is not that much… In cinema as well you know what's going to happen. Maybe something's gonna happen, and it does happen, but with videogames I wanted to do something different, with more random enemy encounters or more random… you don't know what's going to come, where and when. And I wanted to do that with The Evil Within, but I haven't achieved the goal that I want to. It's [an idea] in development.

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/...+buscando+un+survival+horror+m%E1s+aleatorio/

Full interview should be available soon.

I'd definitely be looking forward to a more random-focused and less scripted survival horror game by Tango Gameworks :)

-MD-

Interviewed Shinji Mikami during last week's Gamelab, and here's something in advance:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/...+buscando+un+survival+horror+m%E1s+aleatorio/

Full interview should be available soon.

I'd definitely be looking forward to a more random-focused and less scripted survival horror game by Tango Gameworks :)

The path they put TEW on didn't start until a couple years into development so really they just didn't have enough time to support that vision, reading this is reminding me of everything he said before the game released.

Chapter 9 was a good example of this "randomness" he wanted but it was a "lite" version of it, the idea was there but it wasn't fleshed out enough, likely due to time.

Will throw $$$ at another Mikami horror game, be it TEW 2 or a new IP.

Nemmy

So what's the patch in the PC version? Just casual mode tweaks?
Or did they maaaybe do something about the performance (as I'd guess they did a lot of optimization to get rid of letterboxing on consoles)?

Hesemonni

Banned
Might be a silly question, but in Chapter 9 when the screen turns blue/grey and I'm about to be instakilled by Ruvik...is there a way to avoid this?

Might be a silly question, but in Chapter 9 when the screen turns blue/grey and I'm about to be instakilled by Ruvik...is there a way to avoid this?

Run around him in circles or hide under a bed or inside a wardrobe before he sees you.

If you mean whether you can prevent it from happening all together then I'm pretty sure you can't. It seems to occur on a hidden timer.

kodecraft

Can't wait to find out what they're working on

Hopefully a new IP, I would live if they were churning out original IP's like Platinum Games. Let the sequel to TEW sit on the shelf for awhile...as a studio you don't want your talent burning out over the same IP.

TEW 2 right away?...no thanks.

CaVaYeRo

The path they put TEW on didn't start until a couple years into development so really they just didn't have enough time to support that vision, reading this is reminding me of everything he said before the game released.

Chapter 9 was a good example of this "randomness" he wanted but it was a "lite" version of it, the idea was there but it wasn't fleshed out enough, likely due to time.

Will throw $$$ at another Mikami horror game, be it TEW 2 or a new IP.

Yup, exactly, that was my impression as well.

Just got another bit. Mikami: "I do want to make a first person survival horror game". Could this be related to the Unreal Engine 4 switch?

Nemmy

Run around him in circles or hide under a bed or inside a wardrobe before he sees you.

If you mean whether you can prevent it from happening all together then I'm pretty sure you can't. It seems to occur on a hidden timer.

I think there's a random element to it, too. Or there's some sort of dynamic difficulty thing going on that makes the encounters less frequent if you die a lot.
Like when I got killed by him twice right after the same checkpoint, then on the third try he didn't show up at all for a long time.

Hopefully a new IP, I would live if they were churning out original IP's like Platinum Games. Let the sequel to TEW sit on the shelf for awhile...as a studio you don't want your talent burning out over the same IP.

TEW 2 right away?...no thanks.

I wouldn't say no to a new IP or a sequel to TEW. TEW's dreamlike reality gives lots of creative leeway anyway, so a sequel could have plenty of new ideas.

Got this game for free the other day but I couldn't play it. Several friends had this happen recently too, anyone else experience this and know what it is?

BadWolf

(cross-posting from the other thread)

Finished it yesterday, what a ride.

I played it previously and stopped at Chapter 10 and then went back to it last week and went all the way to the end yesterday.

My graphics card is crappy so I played those first 10 chapters with a terribad frame rate, basically had to do a lot of battles, especially Chapter 6, as a slide show (literally lol). When I went back to it the second time and continued from Chapter 10, I messed with the settings and got a much better frame rate and the game felt much better.

The game felt like a mixture of RE (combat), Silent Hill (story) and Siren: Blood Curse (stealth).

Wouldn't call it scary but it is definitely one of the most tense games I've played to date, felt very well thought out in that regard. Tension was always high. Some people are hating on it for not being scary and then bringing up RE4 as an example of horror done right, I'm sorry but that is hilarious to me.

The combat was an interesting balance of styles of play. There was no dodge and invincible moves to use like we have come to expect but that is a non issue, the game is balanced with that in mind. The mixture of stealth, shooting and strategic weapon use (that crossbow) felt very good and very memorable. I also really liked how the crossbow remained useful throughout, all it's tools worked equally well on all enemies (even bosses).

Ammo and resources were handled in an interesting way, their limited availability almost felt like an illusion. Like you definitely felt like you had to conserve but at the same time you always had much to work with if you played the game proper (used stealth, used matches and the crossbow to take out multiple enemies with few resources etc.). I was hoarding as always and ended up not shooting the Magnum even once unfortunately. Always had plenty of those health injections and didn't use a single medical pack. Also didn't touch any of the ammo I unlocked in the lockers, 'just in case' lol.

It felt like a very balanced and very open experience, almost MGS-like in that it felt like you can approach most, if not all, battles in many ways. Replaying this should definitely be fun.

The story I found interesting, way more than any RE anyway. And it's biggest plus was that it allowed them to showcase the game and the environments and transitions in mind bending ways. Never knew what to expect next.

No QTEs. No backtracking.

Overall, Mikami is the man.

Montresor

Yay, season pass is on sale for $13.39.

How is the Executioner DLC? In terms of fun factor and difficulty?

From afar it looks like the Executioner is to The Assignment/Consequence as the "Clash of the Clouds" (boring Bioshock Infinite side DLC that totally deviates from the game's main qualities) is "Burial At Sea" (Bioshock Infinite meaty story DLC, with impeccable production values).

Is that a fair assessment? I'm more than glad to play just The Assignment/Consequence. Just wondering what others think of the Executioner.

From afar it looks like the Executioner is to The Assignment/Consequence as the "Clash of the Clouds" (boring Bioshock Infinite side DLC that totally deviates from the game's main qualities) is "Burial At Sea" (Bioshock Infinite meaty story DLC, with impeccable production values).

Is that a fair assessment? I'm more than glad to play just The Assignment/Consequence. Just wondering what others think of the Executioner.

Thanks for the heads up!

It's lower budget for sure, and hella janky. But there is some fun to be had in it for how short it is. It's pretty short. 1-2hrs.

Pretty much for those that don't mind dumb fun.

Wait, there is no way to get ammo for the rocket launcher or the machine gun? What kind of joke is this?

If you're talking about the DLC, I've heard there's a glitch where you can use up all your rocket launcher ammo, drop it to 0, then buy new ammo at the shop. But if you're talking about the campaign then yeah ammo is limited IIRC.

Okay they still haven't patched the chapter 9 mess?
Ruvik spawns right in front of me (four fucking times in a row) and kills me instantly. This is the worst level ever created. I really have no idea how anyone could approve this shit.

sphinx

the piano man
Ruvik spawns right in front of me (four fucking times in a row) and kills me instantly. This is the worst level ever created. I really have no idea how anyone could approve this shit.

you are playing it wrong, that part doesn't require a patch, you have to avoid Ruvik and hide or move around him.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.

Just run away from him and he will disappear eventually.

No, I've tried everything. It's my third playthrough and he kills me everytime he appears. Hiding doesn't work , running away doesn't work...he spawns right in front of me and I'm dead. Is this a bug? Don't get me wrong, I love this game but this chapter.....the setting is so good. I don't get it. Totally unnecessary

JJD

Always keep moving and when he materializes in front of you run in the other direction. Watch out for your stamina meter.

That's what I did. Finished the game for the first time last week.

nortonff

No, I've tried everything. It's my third playthrough and he kills me everytime he appears. Hiding doesn't work , running away doesn't work...he spawns right in front of me and I'm dead. Is this a bug? Don't get me wrong, I love this game but this chapter.....the setting is so good. I don't get it. Totally unnecessary

What difficulty are you playing ?

After a 10 month break from the game, I came back with a vengeance.

ssAhcwj.jpg

Finished on X1, that was quite challenging but not as challenging as I thought it was. The hardest parts for me were as follows.

Chapter 2 - The entire part before opening the wooden gate.
Chapter 6 - Burning house
Chapter 10 - Laura (Not having enough to do shock bolts made things way more complicated)
Chapter 11 - Elevator bridge ride
Chapter 12 - The entire bus sequence
Chapter 13 - The beginning for me was tough because I lost a fuck ton of ammo during the previous chapter which made things worse, real worse.

The rest though was smooth sailing. I focused on upgrading my sprint first, stock ammo of the pistol/shotgun/rifle/magnum, upgraded the shock+flash bolt as much as I could, upgraded the rifle damage as much as I could, upgraded the magnum damage as much as I could with a mix of fire rate, critical and reloading time for both those weapons. I'm glad I took that break because even though AKUMU difficulty required tons of patience I was still enjoying the game alot. I'll be playing the DLC's later which I am also excited for. What a ride that was.

sphinx

the piano man
what the hell are you guys made of?? are you robots?

I don't understand how can people beat akumu less than 300 times (and some of you under 100)

-MD-

what the hell are you guys made of?? are you robots?

I don't understand how can people beat akumu less than 300 times (and some of you under 100)

It's not that hard if you beat the game a few times before attempting it. I had something like 50 deaths but it was my 3rd or 4th time playing the game.

It's mostly just remembering what weapons work best for each area and knowing what's coming.

sphinx

the piano man
so I am playing through the DLC now.

I just finished the Kurayami playthrough of the assigment and got all trophies. I didn't dislike it as much as some here, or maybe I went in with low expectations. it's way too short to bother being angry at it.

yesterday I decided to go on with the executioner dlc to spice things up.

the executioner thing is fun but kind of clunky, I like the upgrade system and I commend Tango for their creativity, bosses are not hard but kind of annoying the first time around so I hope It get's better or more pleasant the second time.

I have spoiled myself some things about it reading a guide and there seems like there are some burtal fights in a new game+. is that true??

In terms of trophies is there anything in any of the DLCs that will make me pull my hair in frustration like Akumu on the main game?

so I am playing through the DLC now.

I just finished the Kurayami playthrough of the assigment and got all trophies. I didn't dislike it as much as some here, or maybe I went in with low expectations. it's way too short to bother being angry at it.

yesterday I decided to go on with the executioner dlc to spice things up.

the executioner thing is fun but kind of clunky, I like the upgrade system and I commend Tango for their creativity, bosses are not hard but kind of annoying the first time around so I hope It get's better or more pleasant the second time.

I have spoiled myself some things about it reading a guide and there seems like there are some burtal fights in a new game+. is that true??

In terms of trophies is there anything in any of the DLCs that will make me pull my hair in frustration like Akumu on the main game?

The trophies for the first two DLCs are pretty simple except for one in the Consequence where you have to sneak around an area without being seen.

The trophies in the third DLC are a little more hefty though. I still haven't done them myself. Nothing anywhere near Akumu, but they are there. I won't spoil you though, you'll see what I mean when you get there.

myco666

The trophies for the first two DLCs are pretty simple except for one in the Consequence where you have to sneak around an area without being seen.

The trophies in the third DLC are a little more hefty though. I still haven't done them myself. Nothing anywhere near Akumu, but they are there. I won't spoil you though, you'll see what I mean when you get there.

Well I would say that third DLC has stuff that goes close to Akumu levels. Especially the final execution chamber and the trophy that you get for not getting hit.

I posted this earlier but you can get more rocket launcher ammo in the Executioner by using it all, then going back to the shop. Infinite rocket launcher should make that last wave much much more doable, so I would argue it's nowhere near Akumu (which to be fair I still haven't gone through).

myco666

I posted this earlier but you can get more rocket launcher ammo in the Executioner by using it all, then going back to the shop. Infinite rocket launcher should make that last wave much much more doable, so I would argue it's nowhere near Akumu (which to be fair I still haven't gone through).

But don't you get infinite ammo after beating all chambers? Atleast I remember having to do the hardest chamber with limited ammo. Akumu is harder for sure but that last chamber isn't cakewalk either.

Montresor

I've been watching my brother play the first DLC in this game. I looove Kidman - what an awesome character. Voiced by Jennifer Carpenter (Deb from Dexter), so that's a plus, and I like her character model in general.

The first DLC looks really scary. Bah, looking at the content of the first DLC, I don't know how the hell I ever beat the original main game on Survivor. I'm such a softie.

But don't you get infinite ammo after beating all chambers? Atleast I remember having to do the hardest chamber with limited ammo. Akumu is harder for sure but that last chamber isn't cakewalk either.

You do get infinite ammo in all guns but the Rocket Launcher IIRC. Anyways, the trick is that you just use all your ammo, then go back to the store and magically you can buy rocket launcher ammo again. So the last wave with Seb and Joseph should be way way easier.

sphinx

the piano man
I tried the final chamber which was very intense the whole time but guarding myself from the rocket launcher sadist behind trucks while I fight basic haunted made everything manageable.

somehow I wasn't aware this was the chamber with the
Seb/Joe
at the end and I had barely any equipment, let alone fully upgraded the good stuff so I said "oh fuck, ok I keep my tokens" and that was it.

I have one question, there's a trophy that says "execute haunted with enviromental traps" what counts as enviromental trap?? the rotating blades? is there any place where you guys recommend me doing this? the second execution chamber has blades and spikes so there would be the place I guess?

after the first playthrough, you realize how very short this is, I played through everything a 2nd time in one sitting after finishing it. pretty sure when I have upgraded everything and want a straightforward runthrough it can be done in 30 minutes or less.

the no damage trophie will be hard, I can see ranged bosses like the RPG and Joseph being hard but I guess developing an strategy will help. I suspect that the wire trap + dynamite combo will just do the trick, maybe a rocket launcher here and there. Same with the final execution chamber, before they appear there are good 30 seconds of nothing, I'll fill the elevador exits with traps and proceed to dynamite the shit out of those fuckers.

myco666

I tried the final chamber which was very intense the whole time but guarding myself from the rocket launcher sadist behind trucks while I fight basic haunted made everything manageable.

somehow I wasn't aware this was the chamber with the
Seb/Joe
at the end and I had barely any equipment, let alone fully upgraded the good stuff so I said "oh fuck, ok I keep my tokens" and that was it.

I have one question, there's a trophy that says "execute haunted with enviromental traps" what counts as enviromental trap?? the rotating blades? is there any place where you guys recommend me doing this? the second execution chamber has blades and spikes so there would be the place I guess?

after the first playthrough, you realize how very short this is, I played through everything a 2nd time in one sitting after finishing it. pretty sure when I have upgraded everything and want a straightforward runthrough it can be done in 30 minutes or less.

the no damage trophie will be hard, I can see ranged bosses like the RPG and Joseph being hard but I guess developing an strategy will help. I suspect that the wire trap + dynamite combo will just do the trick, maybe a rocket launcher here and there. Same with the final execution chamber, before they appear there are good 30 seconds of nothing, I'll fill the elevador exits with traps and proceed to dynamite the shit out of those fuckers.

Don't throw traps too close. They are invincible during the "cutscene" and will trigger all that they walk on. Wasted all of my traps when I tried it.

Top Bottom