• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Saladinoo

Best chapter in the game

I finally finished chapter 10! It was great (the whole game is!), but it's definitely not my favourite chapter, the urban environment got a bit stale after a while for me, especially as it seemed to go on forever, though in fairness that's probably because I kept getting killed oer and over again by those water monsters :'(

Is anyone else astounded by how long this game is? I'm on 14.5 hours so far (though I'm quite slow as I need to look EVERYWHERE for dat green gel).

I finally finished chapter 10! It was great (the whole game is!), but it's definitely not my favourite chapter, the urban environment got a bit stale after a while for me, especially as it seemed to go on forever, though in fairness that's probably because I kept getting killed oer and over again by those water monsters :'(

Is anyone else astounded by how long this game is? I'm on 14.5 hours so far (though I'm quite slow as I need to look EVERYWHERE for dat green gel).

You must mean chapter 11 (second worst chapter in the game next to Ch.12) and yeah the game is pretty long in a first playthrough since you are getting used to everything. I think it is about as long as someone's first time through RE4?

You're thinking of chapter 11.

Yeah the length is amazing considering the amount of variety the game keeps up throughout the whole thing.

sphinx

the piano man
Don't throw traps too close. They are invincible during the "cutscene" and will trigger all that they walk on. Wasted all of my traps when I tried it.

well the traps were kind of pointless, they shoot them with their guns anyway.

I kept a 10 ammo Rocket Launcher for the last fight, moved as far as I could and unloaded, Sebastian died. Joseph wasn't hurt in one or two of the shots and made the rest of the fight a pain in the ass but eventually he died too.

I am absolutely sure there is nothing in "the executioner" as hard as Chapter 6 or Chapter 11 in the akumu main game, nowhere near.

Prior to that, I made the no damage run, it didn't took that long so I completed the trophies here, now on to "The Consequence"

Joseph on the no damage run, two rocket launcher shots at the very beginning and he was dead, quickest boss fight ever in the whole TEW game

14.5 is the time it took me to finish it on hard.

gelf

Finally got round to starting the DLC. Its nice that its filling in the gaps in the plot but I'm not feeling the actual gameplay. I don't think stealth is the games strong point and I've never been a fan of what I call hide and seek horror, partly because I'm really bad at it. The part where you have to hide from the
light head thing while you wait for the elevator
was a bigger trial for me then anything in the main game.

Finally got round to starting the DLC. Its nice that its filling in the gaps in the plot but I'm not feeling the actual gameplay. I don't think stealth is the games strong point and I've never been a fan of what I call hide and seek horror, partly because I'm really bad at it. The part where you have to hide from the
light head thing while you wait for the elevator
was a bigger trial for me then anything in the main game.

Yeah, the stealth isn't very good or even at least fun. That part is terrible too. Luckily the DLCs is pretty easy after that point.

-MD-

I'm a huge RE/silent hill fan. i finished ch.3 and i'm not really feelin it. Does it get better? Worth it to keep playing?

Chapter 3 is one of the more well liked sections (gameplay-wise) in the game but there are more great ones ahead of you.

If you decide to keep playing try getting to the end of chapter 10, it's pretty far in but that's where the game peaks.

.Anema

Hey guys, I have a little question about this game.
I'm starting the chapter 7, after the
dog
boss. I'm really in love with this adventure, but I can't stop thinking of how weird this game looks.

I mean, the colors overall and in some stages are really bad (gray scales, black and white or definitely weird sometimes with some yellow or kinda magenta skies :/

I know maybe this is the atmosphere of the game, but I'm starting to think maybe I have something wrong in the configuration of my PS4, or something with the brightness/contrast of my TV.

Can anyone help, please?

-MD-

Hey guys, I have a little question about this game.
I'm starting the chapter 7, after the
dog
boss. I'm really in love with this adventure, but I can't stop thinking of how weird this game looks.

I mean, the colors overall and in some stages are really bad (gray scales, black and white or definitely weird sometimes with some yellow or kinda magenta skies :/

I know maybe this is the atmosphere of the game, but I'm starting to think maybe I have something wrong in the configuration of my PS4, or something with the brightness/contrast of my TV.

Can anyone help, please?

PS4 has a screenshot feature right? Take a few if you can.

Or maybe check out youtube and compare.

So.....hadn't played this in awhile.

I'm on chapter 6(PS4), and now I'm running into some major glitches.

The loading screen is mostly black, with a flickering now loading in the upper left corner.

But more importantly, everytime I die, or try to pause the game, it freezes, and I have to exit the application and start again.

Tried looking it up on the bethesda forums, and there was a guy there saying him and another person were experiencing the exact same thing, but no reply from admins or anyone else on what it could be.

Anybody else run into this?

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
So.....hadn't played this in awhile.

I'm on chapter 6(PS4), and now I'm running into some major glitches.

The loading screen is mostly black, with a flickering now loading in the upper left corner.

But more importantly, everytime I die, or try to pause the game, it freezes, and I have to exit the application and start again.

Tried looking it up on the bethesda forums, and there was a guy there saying him and another person were experiencing the exact same thing, but no reply from admins or anyone else on what it could be.

Anybody else run into this?

Have you tried rebuilding your console's database?
Try that or redownload/reinstall your game.

Jumped back in to my nightmare playthrough and yup, still my 2nd favorite game of this gen. Art direction and atmosphere is right up there with Bloodborne, good lord. My save was in chapter 7 and I forgot how great that section is. Took my sweet time getting readjusted to how hard the game is, but I was just soakin up dat atomosphere.

myco666

Jumped back in to my nightmare playthrough and yup, still my 2nd favorite game of this gen. Art direction and atmosphere is right up there with Bloodborne, good lord. My save was in chapter 7 and I forgot how great that section is. Took my sweet time getting readjusted to how hard the game is, but I was just soakin up dat atomosphere.

Art direction is fantastic and I like looking the artbook since there are bunch of great designs. I especially love the merchant design they had for this game.

Has there been any news on Goty/ Complete edition of this game? Really would like to get the PS4 version and see how much better it is compared to PS3 but don't know if I should still wait or just pick the base game and buy DLC once it is on sale.

Finished my nightmare playthrough. Yeesh, took my longer and I died like twice as much. 17 hours 40 minutes, and 168 deaths lol. Generally the second half of the game was quite a bit easier than the first thanks to the upgrades (I killed the dual keepers in about 30 seconds), although I would say chapter 11 was one of the hardest, along with chapter 5 and especially 6.

Liked the game just as much the second time around, and will probably do a new game + playthrough at some point. Really hope it gets a sequel.

Velikost

Anyone have any tips on what I should be leveling up first? Trying to get back into this game but I have no idea where I should be putting my brain juice. I was thinking health or melee, but I have no idea if straight up punching people is viable in this game. Only on chapter 3 right now but it seems like it takes 6+ hits to down a single enemy.

Also, whats the point of the matches? I don't think it's been explained to me, and if it has I've forgotten. Do enemies come back Red Crimson style or something?

-MD-

Anyone have any tips on what I should be leveling up first? Trying to get back into this game but I have no idea where I should be putting my brain juice. I was thinking health or melee, but I have no idea if straight up punching people is viable in this game. Only on chapter 3 right now but it seems like it takes 6+ hits to down a single enemy.

Also, whats the point of the matches? I don't think it's been explained to me, and if it has I've forgotten. Do enemies come back Red Crimson style or something?

Treat matches as a way to execute enemies, there's no crimson head mechanic in the game but when an enemy falls to the ground you can quickly throw a match and kill them to save ammo.

Just spread points out where you see fit but don't bother with improving your melee, it's there to stagger enemies and create distance not to deal damage with. Improve your sprint early to make your life easier.

Matches. running (but not too much), cross bow. Critical hit/accuracy.

Aim for the knees then burn them. Remember any enemy close to an enemy when you burn them will also burn. Set traps by downing the first of group and burn them all. Watch out.

smashing a bottle in someones face will stun them for an instant knife kill.

Don't upgrade melee, it's not worth it. Melee is mostly use as a last resort to push back enemies or if you have a 1-hit kill weapon like an axe.

You have a couple of options on which to start with but base on my memories:

Stamina - get at least ranked 3 to get enough to run a good distance
Pistol Accuray - Max it out asap, it would make fights more manageable
Pistol Critc - Max it out, at 50% chance every other headshot is a head burst. (Alternatively, Pistol dmg works as well)
Crossbow - Up the range to max, it's cheap
Impale bolt - Invest in this to Max out, super op.
Flash bolt - Invest at least Lv 2 or 3, you can stealth kill stunned enemies, and it's cheap

Everything else you can upgrade as you figure out your play style, in general you should also put some upgrades into increasing your inventory space (bullets/matches/health item) - resource is king in this game.

You can use matches to burn enemies that you have knocked down for a quick finisher.

If you could light it around a bunch of other dudes they would catch fire as well.

You could also light certain environmental hazards to your own advantage like oil spills and haystacks.

Started this up on PC and aiming with a controller is poor. There's no diagonal cursor movement and the acceleration is bad. Any way to fix this?

LTTP:

Just came here to say how much I liked this game.

Pros:

*cool weapons, and nice way to have a weapon that combined
flash grenades, explosives, like RE4 grenades.(agony bow)

*Excellent locale Variation , this was very impressive, thank to the story line, the team
was able to come up with whatever they wanted.

*Great pacing, the game never bored me as it offer many varied game play style,smart stage design,traps,boss battles, ect.

*Great graphics,great enemy variation,great ambient,great atmosphere.

*Excellent Sound, everything sounds memorable and perfect crunch effects when melee,shooting and nice scary and varied OST,great voice acting as well.

*Nice story that reminds me of RE and could lead up to sequels, extra story bits are sorta represented like the souls game, where you find small text snippets that detail the main characters story and others.

*Nice replay value, I love me so extra hard modes,and I cant wait to get the brass knuckles, and collect all the missing tiles,and figurines pieces.

*Nice reward after beating the game, Love character model viewers, every game should have this, and some nice weapons to replay the game post new game +
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cons:

*The frame rate is inconsistent in the very few first chapter. ( it's not as bad or hyper bole as many members make it out to be) I played on the ps4 version,so I guess it could be worst on some PS3,X1,360, or PC.again just the first chapter,after that it's not as much.
especially since the first chapter is a bit slower.

*Enemy can one hit kill you, I don't really mind enemy OHK but the evil within has long loading times when you die.I feel that this would be okay, if the player would have been below a certain amount of health, rather then ohk right away , to get to learn what the enemies patterns are.Unfortunate the last boss had many ohk thus leaving the climax moment of the ending plagues with loading screens.95% of my deaths constituted of many OHK.

*Although I did like the menu/inventory system, I do feel it could use some improvement.

*The dog boss was a bit disappointing, they could have done much more with this boss battle.

*some minor complaint because some monsters were repeated for boss, battles although they did feel different , I would liked to see a new monster.

Great game,I cant believe Shinji mikami did it again, and with a new studio right after he left platnimum, what a guy, what a genius.

The Evil within is definitely the best new IP survival horror that has come out since resident evil,Tango studio is my next platinum studios.

LTTP:

Just came here to say how much I liked this game.

Pros:

*cool weapons, and nice way to have a weapon that combined
flash grenades, explosives, like RE4 grenades.(agony bow)

*Excellent locale Variation , this was very impressive, thanks to the story line, the team
was able to come up with whatever they wanted.

*Great pacing, the game never bored me as it offer many varied game play style,smart stage design,traps,boss battles, ect.

*Great graphics,great enemy variation,great ambient,great atmosphere.

*Excellent Sound, everything sounds memorable and perfect crunch effects when melee,shooting and nice scary and varied OST,great voice acting as well.

*Nice story that reminds me of RE and could lead up to sequels, extra story bits are sorta represented like the souls game, where you find small text snippets that detail the main characters story and others.

*Nice replay value, I love me so extra hard modes,and I cant wait to get the brass knuckles, and collect all the missing tiles,and figurines pieces.

*Nice reward after beating the game, Love character model viewers, every game should have this, and some nice weapons to replay the game post new game +
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cons:

*The frame rate is inconsistent in the very few first chapter. ( it's not as bad or hyper bole as many members make it out to be) I played on the ps4 version,so I guess it could be worst on some PS3,X1,360, or PC.again just the first chapter,after that it's not as much.
especially since the first chapter is a bit slower.

*Enemy can one hit kill you, I don't really mind enemy OHK but the evil within has long loading times when you die.I feel that this would be okay, if the player would have been below a certain amount of health, rather then ohk right away , to get to learn what the enemies patterns are.Unfortunate the last boss had many ohk thus leaving the climax moment of the ending plagues with loading screens.95% of my deaths constituted of many OHK.

*Although I did like the menu/inventory system, I do feel it could use some improvement.

*The dog boss was a bit disappointing, they could have done much more with this boss battle.

*some minor complaint because some monsters were repeated for boss, battles although they did feel different , I would liked to see a new monster.

Great game,I cant believe Shinji mikami did it again, and with a new studio right after he left platnimum, what a guy, what a genius.

The Evil within is definitely the best new survival horror IP that has come out since resident evil, Tango studio is my new platinum studio.

ksdixon

as far as i can tell from watching lets plays of game and dlc, is that the game had next to no conclusion and might as well have had a giant 'buy the dlc, fuckers' sign on it - and then the dlc wasn't the greatest at explaining itself either.

given that shinji didn't even want to make the evil within at first, and the current game was cobbled together from a scrapped sci-fi style game, is there even going o be a sequel?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
as far as i can tell from watching lets plays of game and dlc, is that the game had next to no conclusion and might as well have had a giant 'buy the dlc, fuckers' sign on it - and then the dlc wasn't the greatest at explaining itself either.

given that shinji didn't even want to make the evil within at first, and the current game was cobbled together from a scrapped sci-fi style game, is there even going o be a sequel?

Source on the boloded?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
super best friends play/two best friends play's lets play of the evil within.

Did they have a developer on or something, or did they source their claims at all? If its true thats really interesting but it sort of just sounds like a rumor someone ran with.

ksdixon

Did they have a developer on or something, or did they source their claims at all? If its true thats really interesting but it sort of just sounds like a rumor someone ran with.

it was just an off hand comment as they were playing one of the chapters, but I imagine they had recently read an article or an interview with shinji.

kodecraft

If Shinji really didn't want to make TEW and it was cobbled together from other scrap designs, then that makes alot of sense on how this game feels and plays.

Tango is talented to do this. I'm pretty sure their next game will be lots better than this.

myco666

To be fair Matt and Pat missed pretty much every single newspaper article and missing person poster so they didn't have all the info. They also didn't do really good job on trying to piece the story together. Game doesn't tell the story well for sure and it is one of the bigger problems of the game but pretty much all you need to know is there if you just put the effort in.

Well there was this Polygon interview with Mikami.

The shift to an action game didn't thrill Mikami either. Part of the reason he left Capcom was to develop new concepts, and here he was being pulled back into something similar to Resident Evil. "Even when I was at Platinum [where he directed Vanquish]," says Mikami, "I got many passionate requests from Sega to make a horror game, but I didn't do it. There was no reason to leave Capcom if I wanted to make a horror game."

At least it sounds like he wouldn't be too thrilled about making a horror game but it doesn't really state that if he wanted to make TEW or not.

Bebpo

Banned
There's definitely going to be sequel to this, its going to be horror.

I think it's going to be significantly different from the first game though.

Yeah, there's probably going to be a sequel, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not directed by Mikami and he's off doing something non-horror right now while someone else at Tango directs TEW2.

kodecraft

There's definitely going to be sequel to this, its going to be horror.

I think it's going to be significantly different from the first game though.

What makes you so sure there will be a sequel?

If there is a sequel I wouldn't bet its their next game.

TEW was alright. The studio is talented enough to bring something new in their next outing.

Ywap

The Evil Within is to survival horror what Dark Souls is to action games: A perfekt game with a bad/poorly optimized engine.

Let´s hope for a sequel/spiritual sequel to this masterpiece.

Ywap

The PC version works flawlessly though.

That´s the version i´ve been playing and it´s great. But there must be something wrong with v-sync because it´s tearing even when fraps shows a steady 60 fps.

Anyway, minor flaws to an absolutely fantastic game :)

That´s the version i´ve been playing and it´s great. But there must be something wrong with v-sync because it´s tearing even when fraps shows a steady 60 fps.

Anyway, minor flaws to an absolutely fantastic game :)

That's weird... then again, it's IDtech5 so :shrug: anything is possible

Have you tried forcing Vsync outside of the game?

Ywap

That's weird... then again, it's IDtech5 so :shrug: anything is possible

Have you tried forcing Vsync outside of the game?

Yepp, but nothing seem to work. I get the feeling that the developers weren´t best friends with IDtech5 :)

I believe they will be using Unreal for their next game. Please let it be a sequel to The Evil Within :)

moniker

Finished this last night. It so poorly designed in some places but I couldn't help to enjoy it. And you can tell that there's a lot of talent behind it (engine issues aside).

Thinking about buying the DLC.

Top Bottom