• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinobido 2 announced for PlayStation Vita

The Take Out Bandit said:
We'll tag off in that case.

As much as I enjoyed Phantasy Star, I have no love for the sequels; and in my old age I have no patience / aptitude for long winded boring role playing games. So if you get the sequel you want, you can play it. I'll go play something else. :p

I might consider playing again if Sega bring back the first person dungeons. I really enjoyed that about PS. REALLY ENJOYED IT!

Ultimately I see no reason why they can't both exist (hack'n slash online games for me, boring menu based RPG's for you) - other than Sega hates both it's fans and money and exists only to punish us with furry fap fodder and the siren song of amazing arcade games in Japan that will never see a console release.

Sigh. Sega: the Ike Turner of the gaming industry. I'm still hoping they bother localizing Valkyria Chronicles 3. :(

Takao

Banned
Juan29.zapata said:
Come on, Resistance actually looks like it could be a good game.

Anyway, so it's confirmed that this will have a NA release? I'm interested on this, even if it's not up to games like Uncharted.

You read the post where I criticize Nihilistic (which I think is fair given their entire body of work consists of crap, and "meh" games), but not this one:

Takao said:
Siliconera has a hands-on with the game, where they confirm it isn't announced for a US release as of yet.

Spike is looking for overseas publishers.

would be annoying if it doesn't come to North America. at least if they bring it to Europe in English, I'll import it like I did for the previous games. really happy that Vita is region free.

Oh Western developers are red-lining the shovelware gauge.

Were it not for Dragon's Crown and Shinobido 2 the system would have continued to flatline on my game heart monitor. Here's to hoping the Japanese developers continue to bring it (PSO2 plz) and Western monkeys get their garbage games for their knuckle dragging asses.

I don't want another Sony console to lose it's hold on awesome niche software the way the PS3 did.

I think that the Vita will get much more Japanese support than western support. There isn't software to support that thought, but for what it is, the Vita is like the Japanese markets dream system. It has the best chance of becoming the home for uniquely Japanese games.

Takao said:
Spike is looking for overseas publishers.

I wonder if smaller companies will try to develop their games in both Japanese and English so that they could release it onto PSN in different regions if traditional publishers don't pick them up.

I know MS is experimenting with releasing import games without localization, and I'd love to see more niche/indie Japanese games make it to the US.

Linkzg said:
I think that the Vita will get much more Japanese support than western support. There isn't software to support that thought, but for what it is, the Vita is like the Japanese markets dream system. It has the best chance of becoming the home for uniquely Japanese games.

That's what I'm hoping.

The success of PSP in Japan would seemingly assure that, and all the Dudebro / Space Ghetto Shooter stuff SCEA is trotting out for the Western audiences just says to me they're desperate to get the Japanese level of success in the West.

Though to be completely fair, the success in Japan is similarly attributed to franchises I can't stand either (Constant Load Time Hunter).

I just like all the wacky niche stuff and familiar genres executed well on the system.

Takao

Banned
outunderthestars said:
I wonder if smaller companies will try to develop their games in both Japanese and English so that they could release it onto PSN in different regions if traditional publishers don't pick them up.

I know MS is experimenting with releasing import games without localization, and I'd love to see more niche/indie Japanese games make it to the US.

From Software actually handled the localization for their Armored Core PSP ports themselves, and released them exclusively to PSN in North America. I don't think it did well for them as they didn't bother with their Tenchu ports, or tried to put up their older games.

But it's definitely a possibility, though Spike (even if Microsoft is publishing Kinect Fire Pro), and Acquire may be too small to handle that.

That's what I'm hoping.

The success of PSP in Japan would seemingly assure that, and all the Dudebro / Space Ghetto Shooter stuff SCEA is trotting out for the Western audiences just says to me they're desperate to get the Japanese level of success in the West.

Though to be completely fair, the success in Japan is similarly attributed to franchises I can't stand either (Constant Load Time Hunter).

I just like all the wacky niche stuff and familiar genres executed well on the system.

The PSP has been my favorite system of this last generation due to its quirkier Japanese games. Hammerin' Hero and Prinny were both the types of games that we simply don't see anywhere else.. I hope that continues on the Vita.

I didn't know how I desperately wanted a game where I play as a stealthy badass ninja until now. I hope Spike finds a Western publisher.

Linkzg said:

If you look at the considerable number of Japanese developers who have pledged their support for Vita, it's certain this will be the case. I expect to see tons of games at TGS.

UrbanRats

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Will be called SHinobido 2: Sange in Japan. Plus, new teaser:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/07/14/shinobido_2_renamed/
Should've called it "Shinobido: retexture pack", cause that's what it looks like.

Don't get me wrong, the first Shinobido was one of my favorite games from last gen, but from the video here:
- same animations.
- same enemies' models/textures.
- same gameplay moves (so far).
- same level design.

It's too early, but they need to show something interesting, because right now, there's absolutely nothing new there.

UrbanRats said:
Should've called it "Shinobido: retexture pack", cause that's what it looks like.

Don't get me wrong, the first Shinobido was one of my favorite games from last gen, but from the video here:
- same animations.
- same enemies' models/textures.
- same gameplay moves (so far).
- same level design.

It's too early, but they need to show something interesting, because right now, there's absolutely nothing new there.

I dunno, I need to go back and watch some vids of the PS2/PSP game, but it look a bit less 'floaty' now.

Loudninja

Namco bringing Shinobido 2 to Vita
Shinobido 2: Tales of the Ninja will be among the PlayStation Vita's launch titles when the system arrives in Europe next year, publisher Namco has announced.

Set six months after the events of the PlayStation 2 original, you'll step into the ninja slippers of Zen, as he slices his way through feudal Japan in search of former companions who tried to assassinate him.

Developed by Tenchu veterans Acquire, the sequel adds touch screen controls and a new set of stealth moves.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-26-namco-bringing-shinobido-2-to-vita

Its a launch title.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is Acquire really really poor or something? Couldn't they licence a decent engine for their games at some point in the last 5 or so years? They seem to have some decent artists, held back by the low polygon geometry their engines can make use, lack of nice lighting effects and other such things... Oh well, at least they have ok draw distance now.

I'm not sure what the reason is. I'm assuming they're a lower budget developer. It's a shame because their games are some of the best out there. It's amazing that their games have even been localized, but that seems to have stopped. The Shinobido series never game to NA but luckily were translated in Europe. I'm still hoping for Way of the Samurai 4 to release in English one way or another.

Acquire's best looking games (for the hardware) were the Tenchu games, probably because they had support from From. Not the best looking games on the Wii or PSP, but Tenchu 4 was definitely more inline with what you'd expect from the hardware.

The engine they've been using for the past few 3D games has been Gamebryo and I'm assuming that's what Shinobido 2 uses.

The new Shinobido 2 trailer was exciting because of the 1 second glider footage.

klee123

BlazingDarkness said:
Honestly, the game looks pretty good to me, not quite sure where all the ugly comments are coming from

Sadly, people are expecting every vita game to look like Uncharted at this point.

Personally, I'm happy enough with HD PS2.5 era graphics. Keeps the dev costs down.

klee123 said:
Sadly, people are expecting every vita game to look like Uncharted at this point.

Personally, I' happy enough with HD PS2.5 era graphics. Keeps the dev costs down.

Ditto
It looks like a PS2 game only cleaner and with less (no?) jaggies, I'm totally happy with that kind of quality if it means developers are taking less risks financially

I thought I was the only one that didn't mind the graphics of this game, I'm happy to see that this isn't true but honestly Shinobido was never known for their graphics though I mean look at the first one on PSP:

shinobido1.jpg

screen10_large.jpg

for all it's flaws that game was actually fun, I expect the same for this one.

I'm hoping Sega makes another sequel to Shinobi on PS2 and puts it on Vita, that games was so fun. Probably never going to happen though.

Awesome, always wanted to play Shinobido on PS2. I remember it was supposed to be coming to the US (Acquire even had an English website up) and then nothing happened. Tenchu has been sucking for years, need my stealth ninja action fix.

madmaxx350 said:
I thought I was the only one that didn't mind the graphics of this game, I'm happy to see that this isn't true but honestly Shinobido was never known for their graphics though I mean look at the first one on PSP:

shinobido1.jpg

screen10_large.jpg

for all it's flaws that game was actually fun, I expect the same for this one.

I'm hoping Sega makes another sequel to Shinobi on PS2 and puts it on Vita, that games was so fun. Probably never going to happen though.

Well it looks like a major step up from the first game, I think if you compare the two it's quite impressive difference :)

BlazingDarkness said:
Well it looks like a major step up from the first game, I think if you compare the two it's quite impressive difference :)

It definitely is, I was just really trying to prove my point but you are right!

the artstyle is a bit.. not ninja-like.. maybe it's just me, but at a glance, I prefer Tenchu character design, maybe I'll get used to Shinobido's style later.

edit: actually, I don't mind other character design, just the main character design.

Luigiv

Wait a moment, this game is developed by Acquire? In that case, how is it that this game looks worse then Tenchu 4?

Luigiv said:
Wait a moment, this game is developed by Acquire? In that case, how is it that this game looks worse then Tenchu 4?

iirc, Tenchu 4 has support from From (Software).

I'm assuming Shinobido 2 was all Acquire and they shopped it around. You should see Way of the Samurai 3 on PS3/360. That too looks like a PS2 game.

the Tenchu and Shinobido situation is weird. Acquire made Tenchu 1 and 2, left and others took over, started another Ninja Action Stealth series with Shinobido, and went back to Tenchu with 4. Now they're back to Shinobido.

ZoddGutts

Game looks fine. Not the most heavy graphical game, but it looks good, thanks due to the AA enabled. It has a very clean look.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Looks pretty great wish Tench found its way onto PS3. Though I know Acquire no longer makes them, I believe its K2 now right? Anyway with the right team it could be something awesome. Assassin's Creed set in feudal japan. It'd be amazing Assassin's Creed+Demon Souls+Monster Hunter= soggy shorts!? Am I right? Anyway looking forward to this

I was wondering why there were no gameplay videos from TGS, but Gametrailers has a brief walkthrough and interview up:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-11-shinobido-2/721251
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-11-shinobido-2/721255
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-11-shinobido-2/721253

touch controls seem minimal. back touch is still replacing a button to enter first person (iirc, people had trouble with this at E3 by unintentionally rubbing it). to the right of the screen, several eyes will alert you of visible enemy statuses; pressing them seems to focus on the individual enemy. a special move has you painting targets and taking them out with QTE-ish attacks that're reminiscent of Tenchu 4.

gliding looks awesome

FoxSpirit

ZoddGutts said:
Game looks fine. Not the most heavy graphical game, but it looks good, thanks due to the AA enabled. It has a very clean look.
Yeah, for me I wish this would be the standard: PS2+ level with AF+AA, stable 60 fps and proper lighting/shadow. Should be good looking yet with a reasonable budget.
Not everyone has the resources and time to do an Uncharted. Or the coffers full enough to risk it. And especially not right at release.

ctrayne

Allonym said:
Looks pretty great wish Tench found its way onto PS3. Though I know Acquire no longer makes them, I believe its K2 now right? Anyway with the right team it could be something awesome. Assassin's Creed set in feudal japan. It'd be amazing Assassin's Creed+Demon Souls+Monster Hunter= soggy shorts!? Am I right? Anyway looking forward to this
Tenchu is back in Acquire's hands. Acquire did Tenchu 4 on the Wii and it's an underrated gem.
Shinobido doesn't really play like any of those games you mentioned, it's more like a faster paced, slightly more freeform Tenchu.

Definitely interested in seeing how varied and deep the combat and locations get. Regardless of how I feel the American press is gonna trash it. They'll call it ugly, clunky, and last gen.

Top Bottom