• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shit, I tipped the delivery guy $15 by mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

I had a couple of $20's in my wallet and the food came to $29 so I had planned to ask for 5 or so back to give (in my view) a very decent $5 tip. But when he came I didn't bother reaching for the 20's and instead gave him a $50, but still asked for $5 back.

I don't care that much about the extra $10, but looking back the guy clearly could tell I was probably not paying attention, and was somewhat sly about trying to almost distract me while he got out the change. He was trying to do it as fast as possible while asking about whether or not it was a speedy enough delivery and he all but sprained his wrist getting the 50 out of sight into his pocket ASAP before getting his change purse out so I wouldn't realize I had given him a 50. That's kinda annoying.

Eh, I was thrown off because he was one of those old pizza delivery guys - you know the really polite almost unctuous ones who call you sir and make you feel somehow guilty and disturbed by the fact that a kindly old man is bringing you food late at night during the frigid winter. I'd much rather deal with a surly teenager than the nice old men who make me wonder why the hell they're driving around bringing pizza to drunks all night for minimum wage and what mistakes he made in life that I should be looking to avoid. :p

calder

Hah, no I wouldn't have. If someone wanted to give a huge tip for whatever reason fine, but I wouldn't try to distract someone who I thought was giving me too much money in hopes that they wouldn't realize their mistake. I wouldn't try to give it back or insist that a job well done is all the satisfaction I need, but I sure wouldn't try to weasel through it quick in hopes of scoring a few extra bucks.

Kon Tiki

Banned
calder said:
I had a couple of $20's in my wallet and the food came to $29 so I had planned to ask for 5 or so back to give (in my view) a very decent $5 tip. But when he came I didn't bother reaching for the 20's and instead gave him a $50, but still asked for $5 back.

One is green, the other is red. No excuses. (they both feel different too)

cubanb

Banned
calder said:
I'd much rather deal with a surly teenager than the nice old men who make me wonder why the hell they're driving around bringing pizza to drunks all night for minimum wage and what mistakes he made in life that I should be looking to avoid. :p
My dad worked for round table for a year or two back in the early-mid 1990's.... He would get home from working as a postal worker... take an hour nap or so , eat and head out for a 4-5 hour shift.... I dont know how he did it

---->since when are 50 dollar bills red:/

Cubsfan23

Banned
Society said:
One is green, the other is red. No excuses. (they both feel different too)

monopoly.jpg

Loki

Count of Concision
calder said:
Eh, I was thrown off because he was one of those old pizza delivery guys - you know the really polite almost unctuous ones who call you sir and make you feel somehow guilty and disturbed by the fact that a kindly old man is bringing you food late at night during the frigid winter. I'd much rather deal with a surly teenager than the nice old men who make me wonder why the hell they're driving around bringing pizza to drunks all night for minimum wage and what mistakes he made in life that I should be looking to avoid. :p

:lol

consider yourself lucky. i would have stabbed you in the gut and made off into the night

:lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Sorta relevant:

I worked at a movie theater in high school doing concessions. I'd do 8 hour shifts Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, so I could be pretty beat. Anyway, the nature of the job is to get people through as fast as possible, do their order, make their change, move on. So as I'm doing a transaction, I look into my register and notice a $100 bill sitting in my $10s slot. Apparently some guy had given it to me and I just thought it was a $10 and give him change as such. He never said anything, I didn't remember what he looked like, and at the end of the day, I got written up by management for being over. I felt pretty bad about it though, since some guy lost out an additional $90 at the fucking movies.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
This reminds me of the time me and my friends were waiting at night for the bus. None of us had any money on us and we were a couple tokens short. So we asked this middleaged woman for some change. When she rudely refused, we pushed her to the ground and took her purse. Turns out she was carrying about $160. No change though - so we just walked home.

lexi

Banned
Pochacco said:
This reminds me of the time me and my friends were waiting at night for the bus. None of us had any money on us and we were a couple tokens short. So we asked this middleaged woman for some change. When she rudely refused, we pushed her to the ground and took her purse. Turns out she was carrying about $160. No change though - so we just walked home.

Sarcasm?

miyuru

Dan said:
Sorta relevant:

I worked at a movie theater in high school doing concessions. I'd do 8 hour shifts Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, so I could be pretty beat. Anyway, the nature of the job is to get people through as fast as possible, do their order, make their change, move on. So as I'm doing a transaction, I look into my register and notice a $100 bill sitting in my $10s slot. Apparently some guy had given it to me and I just thought it was a $10 and give him change as such. He never said anything, I didn't remember what he looked like, and at the end of the day, I got written up by management for being over. I felt pretty bad about it though, since some guy lost out an additional $90 at the fucking movies.

No matter if you're over or under, it means you're screwing up, and management will do something about it if your float doesn't add up to a certain extent (it's 15% where I work I believe).

lexy

This reminds me of the time a clerk at a fast food joint refused to give me back the correct change when I realized they had shorted me of $5.00. When I asked to see the manager they said, "I am the manager." Fuckers.

Jotaro

Banned
I remember being in the airport with my dad. My dad had with him thousand dollar bills (yes, you heard me right), and he liked to tease me with these. He was like stretching them in front of me and said: hey, what would happen if it was teared apart? He teased me gently tough.

He gave me one, and I had to go buy some things for him before he went to Vietnam. It was long ago, I think he wanted lots of books (I was in Mirabel iirc). I was a young teen, and I was paying there with a thousand dollar bill, the total ammount was less than a hundred. No one expects kids to carry such bills, so I guess the clerk did not pay attention.

I went out of the store, and then after two minutes I realized I missed 900 dollars, because it was like I used a hundred dollar bill! I ran like hell to the store, and fortunately I got my money back. Phfeew, biggest relief in my life. :lol

I miss those days. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom