• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: Mass Effect 3 will be an Origin-Works game.

I'm fairly certain it's not the bolded, as GFWL games have been doing that for ages. Unless there was some change in Steam's terms of service that prevents any new games from doing that, which is possible, I suppose.

When Valve started doing F2P MMOs, supposedly there was a change to their TOS where if you provide a game through Steam, you also have to provide access to purchasing the DLC through Steam too.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with being able to purchase DLC for games I've bought through Steam within Steam itself and making sure its all bundled into the same user account, but thanks for making my decision on purchase preferences for me, EA.

NIGHT-

Lol @ the butt hurt steam fanboys.. So apparently this game sucks now because you can't buy it through steam. Good grief! Just buy it another way and enjoy what will probably be a contender for GOTY 2012

Wthermans

Banned
Lol @ the butt hurt steam fanboys.. So apparently this game sucks now because you can't buy it through steam. Good grief! Just buy it another way and enjoy what will probably be a contender for GOTY 2012

It sucks because it's tied to Origin and EA will ban your Origin account for almost anything. I almost lost mine due to something I had no control over, much less knowledge of. I could have lost access to all my Origin games simply because I friended the wrong person.

This strawman is getting really old. Not wanting to install Origin because you don't trust EA isn't the same thing as wanting everything on Steam.

When Valve started doing F2P MMOs, supposedly there was a change to their TOS where if you provide a game through Steam, you also have to provide access to purchasing the DLC through Steam too.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with being able to purchase DLC for games I've bought through Steam within Steam itself and making sure its all bundled into the same user account, but thanks for making my decision on purchase preferences for me, EA.

Oho? Interesting. That explains why Fable 3's DLC is available through Steam, even though it's GFWL. I suppose that makes sense.

I just fucking hate EA*/Origin, and that is the stance of most people in this thread. Nobody said the game sucks, either. At least not for your proposed reasons.

But you know that, too. You're just trolling. I guess I shouldn't bother responding, but whatever. CALLIN' YOU OUT.

*There are actually a lot of things I like about EA, but almost none of them have anything to do with their business practices. Just their games. Although that is becoming less and less true lately. They were on a winning streak for a good while, but... I dunno. I'm looking forward to Amalur, at least.

Nah, they are putting their smaller games on Steam. Shank 2, Kingdoms of Amalur, and that game with the teleporting creature that's hitting XBLA first are all confirmed coming to Steam.

I think they realize that those types of games desperately need the exposure that Steam provides.

Then here is my solution. I will take the money I was going to spend on Mass Effect 3 and I will use it to by Kingdoms of Amarlur on Steam.

Benefits:

-Show EA revenue generated from Steam is worthwhile

-Support a new IP

-Support what looks to be genuinely fun game made by nice people.

-Avoid Origin bullshit.

Omikaru

I just don't want to install Origin. I'd probably pick it up at some point if there's an Origin-free PC version. If that's on Steam, I'll get it on Steam. If it's on GamersGate, I'll get it on that. Or whatever.

I just don't want to install that piece of shit Origin.

Disclosure: I am part of Mass Effect-hating GAF, but I am mildly interested in ME3 despite reading through all the spoilers. But if it wasn't for Origin I'd have coughed up some cash for it at some point. Probably during a sale.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Then here is my solution. I will take the money I was going to spend on Mass Effect 3 and I will use it to by Kingdoms of Amarlur on Steam.

Benefits:

-Show EA revenue generated from Steam is worthwhile

-Support a new IP

-Support what looks to be genuinely fun game made by nice people.

-Avoid Origin bullshit.

You're well intentioned, but there is literally no way to get the message to large companies like this. They'll do whatever they think will help their bottom line.

Here is what will happen when you buy Amarlur (or any other game):

- EA gets your money.
- EA notices it got a lot of money from Amarlur.
- EA commissions sequel for Amarlur.
- To maximize the amount of money they get, the sequel is now only on Origin.
- No one buys the sequel.
- No more Amarlur games.

This "test" system pioneered by Capcom earlier this generation is a sham. There is no way to explicitly tell them what you want and have anyone who matters actually hear it.

plc268

I'm not sure I even want the PC version anyway, seeing as the DLC for ME2 never got discounted one cent (AFAIK). Yea, paid full price for all of them, and they were all disappointing. I already have a character on the 360 versiion, since i played me1 and 2 there first, so I'll probably just go there instead.

Maybe... or I'll just wait for the inevitable 75% price drop 2 months after release.

mhayze

I get that not everyone understands why Steam fans are up in arms about this, but the truth is a) Steam is better to use and b) The community trusts Valve more than EA with a constantly on all-in-one gaming service.

I would be fine with EA selling this for $55 on Origin and $60 on Steam - at least we'd have a choice. I also dislike their BS marketing about how they "can't" offer the game because of restrictive Valve policies, when the real reason is they are afraid of Steam and want to build their own service. What they don't understand is that Steam-like communities are built on trust, and they are squandering what little they have, rather than building up their own foundation of trust and competing on merits. If Origin is better than Steam, then it will eventually overtake it.

I'm going to have to think hard about whether I buy this on the PC or play in on the 360. Either way, I guess, EA wins, but I dislike them a little more with each PC-related decision they make.

You're well intentioned, but there is literally no way to get the message to large companies like this. They'll do whatever they think will help their bottom line.

- EA gets your money.
- No more Amarlur games.

This "test" system pioneered by Capcom earlier this generation is a sham. There is no way to explicitly tell them what you want and have anyone who matters actually hear it.

Perhaps, it won't work as a "message." I don't know.

I just know that I still get a cool new game to play and I don't have to put up with Origin bullshit. Game looks ace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EGfmq_yMaw

Emitan

I'm not sure I even want the PC version anyway, seeing as the DLC for ME2 never got discounted one cent (AFAIK). Yea, paid full price for all of them, and they were all disappointing. I already have a character on the 360 versiion, since i played me1 and 2 there first, so I'll probably just go there instead.

Maybe... or I'll just wait for the inevitable 75% price drop 2 months after release.

You didn't like Lair of the Shadow Broker?

Splinter that PC DD market baby.

Also, I've still not purchased any DLC. Guess I'm getting to be a huge minority by not giving a shit.

- EA gets your money.
- No more Amarlur games.

I honestly get flabbergasted when people say things like this, plus "I'll wait until it is on sale, that will show EA". The irony being that these are the people the often say that Game X requires a college diploma to play.

Derrick01

Banned

There's plenty of reasons to think this game will suck. This is just about people not wanting to install EA's shitty copycat service on their computers.

plc268

You didn't like Lair of the Shadow Broker?

Not particularly. It's been a while since I've played it, but I just remember I was underwhelmed by LotSB, especially for the price. Granted, it was the best DLC of them all, but that's not say much. That's like asking which turd smells the best.

What really bugs me about the ME2 DLCs is the obvious difference in production values. During the regular game, your party is talkative and all that, yet in the DLC they're all mute or spout some generic one-liners. I know that seems minor, but it slaps you in the face after being used to the game.

Not only that, all the DLCs were pathetically short. Even LotSB barely clocked 3 hours for me, and I was taking my time there.

lifa-cobex

uhhh whats wrong with Steam?
It's more like lol for ME3 not being on Steam. That's a loss of revenue straight off the bat.

Amneisac

I personally have been annoyed with EA's terrible customer support on multiple occasions. Most recently it was with my SWTOR pre-order. Only way to cancel the pre-order is to have the Origin client installed and wait 30 minutes to chat with someone. I canceled the pre-order and was refunded my $5 deposit. When the game came out they charged me and sent me a key. I waited another 30 minutes to get my refund and they said they would, three weeks later I disputed the charge with my credit card company.

I have a lot of time invested in TWO save game files from ME and ME2 on PC and I really fucking hate to think I'll have to either skip the game or play it on 360 and lose my save files. It's just a huge disappointment to have to use this client. Some people don't get it and they just think people are uptight pricks or trolls or whatever or steam fanboys, but the bottom line is EA has terrible customer support and Origin isn't an acceptable alternative to Steam.

Kabouter

Thing is, I don't care that it isn't on Steam. Anno 2070 I just bought on disc because it was much cheaper than Steam, that's not a problem. What is a problem is the Origin-Works business here with Mass Effect 3, and EA's notoriety when it comes to customer service, particularly in recent times.

aeolist

Banned
It really does suck but after disliking the changes they made in ME2 and all of the ME3 previews I'm honestly not that interested in the game.

In my experience, the Origin client isn't even necessary for launching Origin games. Generally, you could access the games without even logging into the service. Not to say that I trust EA (they've often used limited activation DRM and that doesn't instill much confidence), but I wish Steam would allow me play games without logging into a Steam account. It would be nice if the software I purchase wasn't locked when there are network outages.

lifa-cobex

A lot of people buy exclusively from Steam, as well as defend it even though it also data mines.

If a lot of people just purchase of Steam then...well...yea

Loss of wonga

Doesn't matter if it has problems or what not. If it has a large customer basis then you jump on it.

Wallach

Thing is, I don't care that it isn't on Steam. Anno 2070 I just bought on disc because it was much cheaper than Steam, that's not a problem. What is a problem is the Origin-Works business here with Mass Effect 3, and EA's notoriety when it comes to customer service, particularly in recent times.

Huh. Probably the only thing I like better about Origin and EA's service is that their customer service has been like an order of magnitude better than my experience with Steam. Steam absolutely has some of the worst CS I've ever run into.

Coverly

I guess it won't be getting it on pc. Got 1 on 360, 2 on PC, and now I think I'll just wait till ME3 is a $20 360 title (new or used).

I had Origin for about a month while I was playing BF3. It was ok (They are uninstalled now) but I don't want another steam-like service on my computer, one is enough. I get digital titles with Amazon and other places and I don't have to install anything extra, so I don't mind getting some games with them.

Huh. Probably the only thing I like better about Origin and EA's service is that their customer service has been like an order of magnitude better than my experience with Steam. Steam absolutely has some of the worst CS I've ever run into.

um lol steam has cs 1.6 AND source wat ru on abt

Mr_Zombie

During the regular game, your party is talkative and all that, yet in the DLC they're all mute or spout some generic one-liners. I know that seems minor, but it slaps you in the face after being used to the game.

Not really. Usually the only party member that talked was the one whose mission you was doing; the rest stay silent. You could even bring Grunt on Mordin's loyalty mission and he wouldn't say anything regarding the mission.

Well, confirmed for me just as I assumed I would, I will be playing it on the Xbox. I'm just not interested in building another digital catalog, if it's not on Steam for PC, chances are I won't buy it.

EA keeps crying about how Steam doesn't allow them(EA) a direct connection to their customers for patches and DLC. Sorry to clue you in EA, but that's why I choose them I DO NOT want your shitty spam and go to you for patches. I give Valve my business because they do all that legwork for me and cut out you bullshit.

aeolist

Banned
I agree that Steam's support is really bad, but all the stories I've heard about EA/Origin support are along the lines of "they were really good at responding to an incredibly shitty problem that never should been allowed to happen in the first place".

Wallach

I agree that Steam's support is really bad, but all the stories I've heard about EA/Origin support are along the lines of "they were really good at responding to an incredibly shitty problem that never should been allowed to happen in the first place"/

Why would you be talking to customer service about something that should have happened in the first place...? I don't contact their service departments to let them know everything is fine.

i no rite wat a nub

I'll fuckin' fight you

Why would you be talking to customer service about something that should have happened in the first place...? I don't contact their service departments to let them know everything is fine.

I believe aeolist is referring to unacceptable practices, rather than bugs in the system? Maybe? I don't know. I am not sure. It's an odd statement, I agree. U:

lifa-cobex

So there you have your fanboys.

So then i go back to my original statement.
Surely it's a bad move to not have it on steam.

I'm not pointing this out because "grr it's not on Steam so no purchase", but because even though this company has made some recently bad moves, They have made some great games in the past.
I hope that one-day it will happen again.

It's shooting yourself in the foot.

I think this forum ban thing is getting blown way out of proportion. It's like every time someone mentions it it gets bigger and bigger, like the comedy skit of people relaying information to the person next to them and it keeps getting crazier and crazier. It was most likely an isolated incident with a dumb CSR. I seriously doubt even .01% of users have been affected by random bans.

epmode

I think this forum ban thing is getting blown way out of proportion. It's like every time someone mentions it it gets bigger and bigger, like the comedy skit of people relaying information to the person next to them and it keeps getting crazier and crazier. It was most likely an isolated incident with a dumb CSR. I seriously doubt even .01% of users have been affected by random bans.
Read the Rock Paper Shotgun articles. It's not an isolated incident and it's certainly not being done by a rogue CSR.

EA has mentioned that they'd "review" the policy but that was back in November and many of those permanent bans are still in effect.

Obviously, it's not affecting a massive number of accounts. The point is that the company believes that locking someone out of their Origin account is a valid consequence of inappropriate posts on a goddamned videogame forum. And again, this is just one of the dozens of anti-consumer things EA has done over the years. It's a terrible company.

aeolist

Banned
Even if this were the case (it's not) it would still be totally unacceptable that it's even possible to get banned from playing games you bought (both single and multiplayer) because of forum posts that you have made.

The ridiculous nature of the banned posts we've seen would make it even worse if that were possible.

Using Steam feels like being invited in this awesome party in a huge penthouse. There's treat for everyone, you feel welcomed and everybody's having a good time. Some are playing illegal money games in the basement but the owner tolerates it. There might be a person in the party that is having the worst time of his life (physically beaten by owner's goons, drank too much alcohol) but you get the feeling that he deserves it or don't even know about it.

Using Origin feels like you live in an occupied country. Even if you walk straight, there's no guarantee that you won't get beaten to death by the occupying troops. A small offense against the rules can be punished by an extreme sanction, like death. New policies and laws are applied to restrain people's freedom. Life is not good.

Raw64life

Haven't read the entire thread but yea, looks like I'll be missing out on Mass Effect 3 despite thoroughly enjoying the first two.

aeolist

Banned
Using Steam feels like being invited in this awesome party in a huge penthouse. There's treat for everyone, you feel welcomed and everybody's having a good time. Some are playing illegal money games in the basement but the owner tolerates it. There might be a person in the party that is having the worst time of his life (physically beaten by owner's goons, drank too much alcohol) but you get the feeling that he deserves it or don't even know about it.

Using Origin feels like you live in an occupied country. Even if you walk straight, there's no guarantee that you won't get beaten to death by the occupying troops. A small offense against the rules can be punished by an extreme sanction, like death. New policies and laws are applied to restrain people's freedom. Life is not good.
Blatant tag fishing ahoy

tci

Not surprising.

We can look forward to threads about Origin activation services being down when it launches.

Top Bottom