• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: Mass Effect 3 will be an Origin-Works game.

I'll still buy it but it won't be for at least a year down the line when I can pick it up for $10-15. It's amazing how wildly my opinion of EA has changed this gen.

REV 09

i love Steam, but Origin is fine. I don't want every company doing this though, but so far EA has done an ok job with Origin.

njean777

Meh I havent had a bad interaction with Origin, then again I dont go posting on Bioware forums or on EA forums. I dont like that they ban people from their games (that they paid for). Hopefully they get that mess sorted out soon. But I wont be buying ME3 at launch since I dont really care for the universe.

Meh I havent had a bad interaction with Origin, then again I dont go posting on Bioware forums or on EA forums. I dont like that they ban people from their games (that they paid for). Hopefully they get that mess sorted out soon. But I wont be buying ME3 at launch since I dont really care for the universe.

See, I just don't want to risk it. I very rarely go on the BSN or EA forums, but when I do, I get banned for saying piracy is bad.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Playing stuff offline is more convenient with Origin than with Steam, no lie.

Do you mean with Origin, or with games you bought through Origins? I agree with the latter, since those games don't require any silly program to launch. If ME3 requires Origin to run, that might not be the case.

I don't mind the Origin client in actually using it. The UI is fairly lightweight and not obscene. It even lets me easily change the install directory of the games themselves, and the game installation files.

But will I ever buy anything using the Origin store? No. Hell no. Not after seeing those double charge / triple charge nightmares a few months back surrounding BF3, and how customer support for Origin acts in relation to them.

Cels

I have BF3 on PC. What's so bad about Origin? Yea I'd prefer steam but it's not like having to use Origin makes the game worse or anything...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I have BF3 on PC. What's so bad about Origin? Yea I'd prefer steam but it's not like having to use Origin makes the game worse or anything...

It's EA + Bioware + Mass Effect + Origin. It's like the perfect combo for getting a "haters gonna hate" on GAF.

Tain

Do you mean with Origin, or with games you bought through Origins? I agree with the latter, since those games don't require any silly program to launch. If ME3 requires Origin to run, that might not be the case.

The latter, I guess. We'll see how ME3's campaign works.

Mxrz

Well, Yay consoles then.

One thing I've always wondered. Does EA have our PSN & XBL passwords? With how it tries to log us into the EA account/servers? That's been bugging me lately. Checking their site, I found out I had an EA account without knowing (or remembering) it. Then I reset the password, it had stuff about PSN/XBL accounts, too. Little concerning.

damnit i don't wanna have to get it for consoles... :(

but i will, don't want to install Origin just for this game... plus i won't support the Steam hate by EA!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I will never understood the Origin hate.

Fine guys, i'll enjoy playing ME3 at 60 FPS and possible high res mods(if its anything like the ME2 one) while i take a pact with the devil EA and its evil Origin weapon. Sigh.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
damnit i don't wanna have to get it for consoles... :(

Then don't. I don't want to use Origin, but I'm a PC gamer before a Steam gamer so the choice is easy. You lose a lot more by playing on a console than by using Origin. As another GAFFer once said, consoles are the worst form of DRM.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
With no Steam-version in sight I'm glad I nabbed a pre-order deal where I could pre-order it for €25 for a physical copy.

OMG this is absolutely... not surprising. I think everyone knew it was going to happen. This doesn't really bother me since I am not exclusive to a single client.

Pachinko

Is this really even news ? I fully expect other publisher will follow suit with similar requirements in the future. Steam is working fine for many right now though. Down the road I'd expect to see an activision pipe and maybe even a squareenixeidos pipe. Ubisoft pretty much already has one of their own.

Chesskid1

Banned
i have ME1/2 on steam and was successfully able to get them both on origin for nothing.

ME2 cd-key registers, and ME1 had a key but doesn't register, i had to contact EA support and it took about 15 min and they added it to my origin account.

bring on ME3.

i used to be steam-only but i'm slowly getting over it. i'm not about getting +1 on my steam games list or showing my steam friends im playing a game or getting steam achivements (though i do enjoy all those things). i'm about playing great games. origin does have some problems, but it hasn't been around long.

i figure more DD competition will be coming anyways (with exclusives) so have to get used to it. <3 blizzard.

I love how they make it sound like they want to put it on Steam, but Valve's TOS are just too strict and unfair to a company that just wants to deliver the best product to the consumer. Who the hell do they think they're kidding?

I'll never understand Steam zealots. Never.

I haven't even used Steam in 4 months despite gaming heavily on my PC. All the stuff I was really into wasn't on it.

beast786

sometimes GAF confuses the he'll out of me.

we have threads which are hundred pages long trying to discuss which version to buy. comparing FPS, resolutions,pixel counts etc etc. Going on as if those small differences will some how totally change there gaming experience.

Yet, today so many will pass the superior pc version because they don't want to download from a different store.

GAF tells me now that graphic performance is so over rated.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

we have threads which are hundred pages long trying to discuss which version to buy. comparing FPS, resolutions,pixel counts etc etc. Going on as if those small differences will some how totally change there gaming experience.

Yet, today so many will pass the superior pc version because they don't want to download from a different store.

You're making a huge generalization off of a few posts. You say "so many', I say "lol who?". Only a few have claimed that they'll avoid Origin in favor of the consoles, there is no mass exodus. You're trying to drag certain things into this argument that have nothing to do with it.

No. Just don't.

Emitan

Cause its not like EA is the most anti consumer publisher in the industry and people are wary of using their services or anything...

Thoraxes

It's not like a forum ban will completely lock you out of your Origin account and all of your games and there isn't anything you can do about it... Hell, you don't even have to be the offender to have your account randomly banned as we've seen in the past too.

That's why I pass.

scy

I'd rather not deal with Origin. My saves are on my 360 anyway so that was most likely going to be my preferred method at release; I'll get the PC version down the road. Nothing more, nothing less.

delirium

I don't get people, Origins isn't bad, it isn't good but its a decent enough platform (from what I've gather from BF3).

I don't see the people saying "No Steam, no buy" any different from the people that say "No XBL, no buy" or "No PSN, no buy".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I bought the Mass Effect comics, so clearly I'm willing to subject myself to worse things than Origin to experience the series.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
There's no way I pass on ME3, EA be damned. I have no beef with them hording their games to their service. Origin itself has given me no issues, and I'm not really one for taking righteous stands when it comes to video games anyway.

I can't imagine why some of you are going to take 720p ~30fps console versions instead, as if using that as an alternative makes any damn sense at all.
I don't see the people saying "No Steam, no buy" any different from the people that say "No XBL, no buy" or "No PSN, no buy".

One of those choices is being made on an open platform with many different competitors, for starters.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Doesn't really bother me that much. I bought Battlefield without Steam, I will buy this without Steam. I will, however, not appreciate having to do so :mad:

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I bought the Mass Effect comics, so clearly I'm willing to subject myself to worse things than Origin to experience the series.

Don't remind me of what I've (also) done...

Emitan

I own the Collector's Edition of Mass Effect 2 for PC and 360. And I've ended up buying 3 copies of Mass Effect 1. And I own most of the DLC for Mass Effect 2 on PC and all of it on 360. I have spent so much money on this series, I might as well tolerate Origin for the finale.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I own the Collector's Edition of Mass Effect 2 for PC and 360. And I've ended up buying 3 copies of Mass Effect 1. And I own most of the DLC for Mass Effect 2 on PC and all of it on 360. I have spent so much money on this series, I might as well tolerate Origin for the finale.

Multiple copies of the game and DLC is pretty solid insanity. I own a copy of each game on PC (CE of ME2), all of the DLC for both, all three novels, and all of the shitty, awful comics. I also put in an order for the fourth book due out soon, the new art book, and the fourth comic in the current series. I will buy the next comic too.

We're sick.

Top Bottom