• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: Mass Effect 3 will be an Origin-Works game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Also, honestly, Origin is not this evil thing that will harm your computer upon installation, there's just no practical reason to use it. It's not BAD, just useless compared to Steam.

Pretty much. Instead of using my preferred store/client, I'm forced to use an inferior alternative. It's not going to explode my PC, but it's annoying. It does nothing to improve the user experience, it just helps EA make more money. It's not going to prevent me from buying the game, but I'd hate to see it become a regular thing.

That being said, it's still far better than the other alternative - consoles, lol.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Ubisoft. EA at least still gives a shit about PC gaming and sees it as a viable market to which to sell games.

Also, honestly, Origin is not this evil thing that will harm your computer upon installation, there's just no practical reason to use it. It's not BAD, just useless compared to Steam.

How can it be useless if it has games that aren't on any other DD platform?

So does it have Spyware on it or not? Truth be told I just hate having another Direct Download store application on my PC. One is enough.

Salaadin

Ubisoft. EA at least still gives a shit about PC gaming and sees it as a viable market to which to sell games.

I do like how you don't have launch origin to play all origin bought games like you do steam but other than that, it is overshadowed by steam.

I personally have no problems with it though.

Volcynika

How can it be useless if it has games that aren't on any other DD platform?

So does it have Spyware on it or not? Truth be told I just hate having another Direct Download store application on my PC. One is enough.

Isn't it game* that's not on any other DD platform (Old Republic)? Other EA games are available on other DD clients that are not Steam.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I didn't buy BF3, and I don't intend to buy this either. Honestly I probably won't buy another EA title for a while because of how crappy they've been lately.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Isn't it game* that's not on any other DD platform (Old Republic)? Other EA games are available on other DD clients that are not Steam.

Battlefield 3
Star Wars TOR
Now Mass Effect 3?

Every new EA release in the future?

Steam needs to give up their restrictive terms of service that limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content.

Cipherr

And everyone will buy it anyway. Nothing to see here.

Dont lump me in like that. Im not doing the Origin thing. Nothing on it. That takes ME3 off my list, I have ME1 and ME2, but havent gotten around to them. With my backlog, Im really not going to miss any Origin game.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The real issue is market fragmentation. It's not really competition if everybody just takes their balls and goes home. Right now it's Steam and Origin (and the others). Where does it stop? When every retailer has their own "Steam?" As the absolutely terrible customer service of Origin has shown us, companies like Valve that actual try to be customer friendly are far and few between.

And the fact that people are already just accepting their policy of banning people from their games due to forum activity is increasingly troublesome. Put those together and you have a very, very shitty outlook for PC gaming.

megalowho

Don't you see? EA just wants to interact with their fans. Why won't big mean Valve let them interact directly with their fans in order to give them a great, EA approved experience? It's not a power play to promote Origin over the service most of their fans already use, it's for the good of the fans.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Interestingly enough EA Partner devs still seem to be content to put their stuff up on Steam, such as Shank 2, Kingdoms of Amalur, and that teleportation based that is coming to XBLA first.

Steam needs to give up their restrictive terms of service that limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content.

I find it funny EA is saying this about a company that practically lets their customers develop their games for them. I can't really think of too many other companies that have customer made content in their game, and yet Valve has quite a few games that customers have a large part in actively developing DLC for.

I would not expect EA to ever take the approach and openness that Valve takes with its customers and delivering content to them.

Do people really believe PR nonsense like this?

Uriah

Yeah they need to get rid of the option for the developer to release unlimited patches. They should only allow 2. They should also charge $60 a year.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Feel like I wasted my time with the first 2 since 3rd isnt going to be on Steam.

I can't tell if people are being serious anymore, ha.

Dmented

Banned
Having suffered through many terrible F2P games this winter due to the holiday event I can safely tell you that several games still use their own patching clients. My guess would be that Valve requires paid DLC to be available on their storefront.

I think it's this too. But it's not like they're saying "You can only sell your DLC here!". You can sell it anywhere. EA just wants full profit, can't blame em I guess but I rather buy shit on Steam.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Interestingly enough EA Partner devs still seem to be content to put their stuff up on Steam, such as Shank 2, Kingdoms of Amalur, and that teleportation based that is coming to XBLA first.

Well, why ignore the majority share of the market? Its only idiotic. EA Partners on the other hand are still self-funded, but giving EA a cut for partial funding and marketing.

I think how EA sees it is that pushing their own social service more important than whatever lost sale there will be for it not being on Steam. It will be on Amazon, GamersGate, etc. It will be retail shelves and their titles like this will be massively advertised. If you wanted to push your own service, they are at least picking the titles that would have the best chance to succeed even without being on the largest seller.

Was gonna buy the 360 version anyway as I prefer the game with a controller and 360 is where my save game is.
The only way I would get the PC version is if the gamepad controls were patched into the PC version and why would they do that, really

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think how EA sees it is that pushing their own social service more important than whatever lost sale there will be for it not being on Steam. It will be on Amazon, GamersGate, etc. It will be retail shelves and their titles like this will be massively advertised. If you wanted to push your own service, they are at least picking the titles that would have the best chance to succeed even without being on the largest seller.

EA will have the last laugh when Origin becomes a worldwide phenomenon. Two years from now GAFfers will be saying "Origin or no sale", book it.

Burekma

SHOCKING NEWS: EA wants to take care of all the bandwidth, maintenance and electricity costs for "consumer interaction", doesn't want Valves help.

But seriously, don't give a fuck, will play regardless.

I expect EA to start dragging their EA partners into this too.

Did EA handle distribution for Portal 2? In the past EA has handled distribution for Valve games but I expect that relationship to end soon.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
lolwut

best bioware game in years.

I played WoW for a long time before quitting it, and swtor felt like too much of the same. I could go on and on, but that is not for this thread. So I'll leave it at that.

Ridley327

I expect EA to start dragging their EA partners into this too.

Did EA handle distribution for Portal 2? In the past EA has handled distribution for Valve games but I expect that relationship to end soon.

EA has been Valve's distribution arm since the Xbox port of HL2. Who knows what's going to happen when Valve does get around to announcing their next retail game.

I still don't know what this means.

Steam demands that all DLC for a game must be purchasable on the Steam store. This is so publishers don't get around Steam's cut by, say, selling Battlefield 3 for $1 and then the actual game for $59 from inside the game. And so Valve can make money on F2P games on Steam.

What EA likes to do is, for example, force you to buy Bioware points so A) You're already spending too much for the content and B) They get all of that "too much" without Valve cutting in.

Other DD services either have smaller fees or aren't popular enough to warrant worrying about the cut they get.

So the PR way of saying "We want all the money" is "We want to communicate better with our customers."

Moaradin

I see no problem with EA wanting all the money for their game. They have no personal hatred for steam or anything. If steam never updated their policy when they added f2p mmos, EA would have no problem putting their games on steam.

Nabs

I see no problem with EA wanting all the money for their game. They have no personal hatred for steam or anything. If steam never updated their policy when they added f2p mmos, EA would have no problem putting their games on steam.

EA has been dicking around Steam users for years, the DLC issue is just an easy out for 'em.

Sure, good for them.

As the end-consumer, I find the move kind of shitty because I find the idea of trusting EA extremely shitty. They've done nothing to earn my personal trust as a consumer, so if they insist on putting their games on services I feel would impact me negatively to use, then they are not getting my money at all. They have decided that my purchase with the Steam cut is worth less than no purchase at all, so bully for them. If that works out in their calculations, then great.

I just find the "We want to communicate better with our customers" line laughable bullshit.

But wanting all of the money is bad, see? They should just be happy with "enough"!

Is failing to properly comprehend posts a skill you honed over the years or were you born with it?

Thoraxes

I'll play my friends used copy on a console when he finishes. Not gonna buy this with Origin.

Also some of you may note that I play SWTOR, but do know that SWTOR does not require Origin if you bought a physical copy, which I did.

Is failing to properly comprehend posts a skill you honed over the years or were you born with it?

I have no idea why in the world you feel that you need to personally insult me each time you see me post. I get that you don't agree with me, but shit, man, you would think that maybe I shot your dog or something.

I have nothing against you.

chixdiggit

I see no problem with EA wanting all the money for their game.

Sure, no problem. Except now instead of only getting some of my money, they get none of it. And it's not even a Steam thing. If I was able to buy it through say Green man gaming and not have to install Origin, I would be fine with that.

kswiston

Meh, I prefer my games on Steam, but Origin isn't that bad. They let you register EA games purchased anywhere, have had decent download speeds anytime I have used the service, and have decent sales from time to time. I am not going to leave the service idling on my system like I do Steam, but I use it for EA games.

Actually, if I am going to buy a game day 1, and Steamworks is not an option, I will take it on Origin over nothing at all. Steam has horrible pre-order discounts. I now have some hope of getting this for less than $50.

Moaradin

I'll play my friends used copy on a console when he finishes. Not gonna buy this with Origin.

Also some of you may note that I play SWTOR, but do know that SWTOR does not require Origin if you bought a physical copy, which I did.

SWTOR doesn't require Origin if you bought it anywhere. Even from Origin.

Card Boy

Banned
Price gouging aside, my problem with Origin is the client takes like 2 minutes to load up. Shits unaccepted. I don't care if you have a SSD and it takes 5 seconds for you.

Cheech

I have no problem with this. EA has had some incredible deals on Origin over this past year. The Origin client itself is unobtrusive and lightweight. Not entirely sure where all the hate comes from. EA's customer service also takes a giant shit all over Valve's.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I have no problem with this. EA has had some incredible deals on Origin over this past year. The Origin client itself is unobtrusive and lightweight. Not entirely sure where all the hate comes from. EA's customer service also takes a giant shit all over Valve's.

You have got to be fucking shitting me. This is objectively, demonstrably false.

Top Bottom