• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: Mass Effect 3 will be an Origin-Works game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BF3 is the only reason I even have that damn app. And their service and underlying way of running it are highly questionable. Oh and getting banned from the forums bans you from your games. F this, I really wanted it but I hate running Origin. EA, STOP FORCING THAT STUPID APP ON US. Put it on Steam and watch your sales not suffer one bit. Simply stupid.

I know their in it and are trying to create a competitive product but it's EA and it just doesn't sound right. I would be less upset if it didn't require Origin to run but that's what it looks like.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Is it really that bad? I mean come on guys.

I mean what are the exact reasons? Spyware?

http://www.destructoid.com/ea-will-...lse-swears-at-you-217219.phtml?s=150#comments

http://www.destructoid.com/ea-forum-bans-are-still-locking-users-out-of-games-215767.phtml

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...ent-Origin-bans-through-content-filter?page=1

So even though they say it'll be on other digital stores, not just Origin, people still aren't going to buy it. Just because it's not on Steam? Wtf?

Who gives a shit what store it comes from.
because I bet even those sold on other services will require Origin to be running.

Rufus

I still don't know what this means.
Selling Bioware Points, maybe? I'm unsure on all of this, so take it with a grain of salt.
I think DLC has to be available via Steam, not just whatever in-game store or external platform, right? EA obviously stands to gain more by selling you points, to 'form a close relationship' with whatever spare change you accrue. There's also the matter of Valve's cut of the DLC for offering it.

gdt

Hmm, I'd prefer it to be on Steam too, but people forget that Valve games are exclusive to Steam, so you can't fault EA for doing the same thing.

If their service is shitty (can't say I've have any problems with it, but I've only registered two Amazon bought games on there) that's another matter.

Can't wait for my 360 collectors edition. Wondering if I should just switch the collector's edition to PC because I can just activate it on Origin...

epmode

Not that this will change anyone's mind on the matter but this is a good example of the shit EA pulls with Origin: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/05/ea-origin-bans-update-edition/

And even if you wind up buying this on another service, your copy is STILL bound to origin. If your account is banned, no more installs.
Hmm, I'd prefer it to be on Steam too, but people forget that Valve games are exclusive to Steam, so you can't fault EA for doing the same thing.
While I'd like to see Valve games available on other stores, let's not start comparing Valve to EA here. Please.

kuroshiki

Steam people are again blowing this thing out of proportion. Buy it on X360 or PS3 if you hate origin that much. or better yet don't buy it at all. That will teach EA a lesson.

but we all know neoGAF is not influential (as much as we would like to think it is) enough to affect average consumer.

Aeana

So even though they say it'll be on other digital stores, not just Origin, people still aren't going to buy it. Just because it's not on Steam? Wtf?

Who gives a shit what store it comes from.

It'll be on other digital stores, but will still require Origin to use.
I can't speak for other people, but it isn't the "not on Steam" I take issue with, it's the "have to use Origin" part.

Derrick01

Banned
Steam people are again blowing this thing out of proportion. Buy it on X360 or PS3 if you hate origin that much. or better yet don't buy it at all. That will teach EA a lesson.

but we all know neoGAF is not influential (as much as we would like to think it is) enough to affect average consumer.

it's not like the ME franchise is some huge seller anyway. I think both creeped to 4 million but it was after huge price cuts.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Fight fire with fire, eh?

kuroshiki

If I was asked which company I would like to be DD top-dog, I'd probably say Valve.

If I was asked which company I would not like to be competing for DD top-dog, I'd definitely say EA.

If you think Valve will be forever do-good-never-fail company for you, then you are mistaken. Competition is always good.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't give a shit if its Steam or Origin. BF3 is still nice on PC despite using Origin, so i dont see what's the big deal about.

Derrick01

Banned
If you think Valve will be forever do-good-never-fail company for you, then you are mistaken. Competition is always good.

EA competition is not good. Hell if Valve was public right now EA would have just bought them to avoid competing.

Steam will be safe for years to come.

Origin isn't half bad. I plugged my Crysis 2 key in and a minute later it was downloading much faster than it would Steam.

You guys are being overly dramatic.

edit: I can understand paying a slight premium for something on Steam instead of another vendor that has a better deal, but forgoing a game entirely? Shit, son

But Origin is evil and Steam is the saviour!

x2 some real nutters here

For the record I was always going to buy this at sub $20. This won't change my purchasing decision whatsoever

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Yea, better to give one company almost total control over the market.....

heh good one, valve/steam has definitely gotten more anti-consumer as they've grown. Oh wait...

Oh the agonies of valve's large market share of the dd sector...

Eusis

I would've liked ME1-3 on Steam, but I guess that won't be possible. And I already dipped in with DA2, so I'm not opposed to using Origin for EA games, just not getting anyone else's on it.

Although, I don't know when I'd even get the PC version. I started on 360, and plan to finish on 360, with a renegade playthrough on PC whenever.

Totally expected. Don't expect to see flagship EA titles on Steam until they dial back the focus on Origin again. Was always going to grab it on 360 and pick up the PC version in the bargain bin down the track. Feels much more like a console game.

I was actually kinda contemplating getting ME3 on PC. Guess I won't be getting it at all. Oh well. I didn't much like ME2 anyway. I was just interested because it sounded like it was getting more RPG, and less shootery.

zMauF.gif

Thread was legendary.

OK, lets say I buy ME3 at retail:

Will there be some kind of crack I can use to be able to run the game without Origin, like what you can do to bypass the awful Ubisoft DRM on the Assassin's Creed games?

It's just EA. Competition is awesome, but it's EA. It could be anyone else, but noooooooo, it has to be EA. :lol

Anyway, Valve has smart people, so they'll be good for a good while yet. Like Google.

King_Moc

Banned
Will you have to use Origin though? I own two Origin games, Battlefield 3 and The Old Republic. SWTOR doesn't appear to use Origin at all and Battlefield just requires that you use your user ID to sign into Battlelog. So neither actually use the client. They said it's a one time online activation (the same as Steam based retail games do), so it may not even need the Origin application open.

Also, shitty as their forum/game banning practices are. Why one earth would you post on official EA forums in the first place?

mxgt

Banned

Will there be some kind of crack I can use to be able to run the game without Origin, like what you can do to bypass the awful Ubisoft DRM on the Assassin's Creed games?

A crack just to avoid a low resource program running in the background? the fuck is this madness

oh right I forgot, Origin spies on everyone and sends all your data to evil corporations

Most likely, won't be able to play the MP mode though.

Also, shitty as their forum/game banning practices are. Why one earth would you post on official EA forums in the first place?
Technical problems, customer support, etc. Things you would ask the originating source of the problems.

epmode

So steam is restrictive but Xbox Live isn't? Hrmm.
It was, actually. That's why EA worked out that deal with Microsoft so that you wind up connecting to EA-owned servers when you play EA 360 games. It's one of the reasons it's so easy for them to simply close down the multiplayer modes of their ~12 month old games.

EA is actively destructive to the industry.

Sysgen

Will you have to use Origin though? I own two Origin games, Battlefield 3 and The Old Republic. SWTOR doesn't appear to use Origin at all and Battlefield just requires that you use your user ID to sign into Battlelog. So neither actually use the client. They said it's a one time online activation (the same as Steam based retail games do), so it may not even need the Origin application open.

Wait till EA buys out neogaf and ties your Origin games to this forum. :snicker

Derrick01

Banned

That whole galaxy at war shit (that they put into this game just as an excuse to force Origin) uses Origin so you'll probably need to have it on.

Kinyou

That sucks bigtime but apparently it can be avoided if you just don't use their forums.

I don't think EA will see that gamers boycott origin, they just see that the PC version doesn't sell well. So maybe the next Dragon Age / Dead Space wont come for PC at all.

RSLAEV

A crack just to avoid a low resource program running in the background? the fuck is this madness

oh right I forgot, Origin spies on everyone and sends all your data to evil corporations

Hey man, some of us just don't like to have to run shit like this to play our games.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt

This is always such as a bizarre defense. "Sure EA treats its customers like shit now, but someday in the future so might Valve!" If that day comes I will avoid doing business with them as well, but that day has yet to pass. It is the reason I continue to use GoG, Amazon Downloads, and Green Man Gaming, but quit using Impulse after the sale to Game Stop.

As for Mass Effect 3. I was planning on waiting for a price drop anyway, but I'll probably just rent it from Gamefly now for my 360. I am one of the weirdos who really liked the first one, but just never quite got into the second one as much. I'm just not as vocal as others.

Eusis

So steam is restrictive but Xbox Live isn't? Hrmm.
Admittedly I think it's understood that consoles and PCs are very different beasts. Consoles have always been about going through one gate keeper, whereas for PC there's either multiple, looser gatekeepers or none at all, not to mention there's no chance you'll buy from a different service for you 360 version of Mass Effect unless it was a code you'd have to use on XBL anyway.

Of course, consoles are also restrictive for a reason, and Steam's likely the same way there: to best ensure quality for the consume there need to be guidelines followed, and EA would rather not take that step for whatever reason.

Deadbeat

Banned
Gamersgate, D2D, GoG, GmG, etc. provide a good alternative to steam. Origin is not a good alternative. But hey, if you keep thinking EA is the best competitor to Valve then so be it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm not too broken up over this (I played ME2 on Origin and didn't have any problems) but I do worry that we're going to start seeing some serious market fragmentation.

I'm glad it's on Origin. Fuels GAF rage and ridiculousness. Origin and Steam both serve the purpose. One has more time under its belt but they both do what I need them to and that's launch the game.

EDIT: ^^HAHA...right

Not surprising in the least. Bioware really wants that coffin watertight for me.

*sigh* So what they're saying is, I can't complete my steam collection of Mass Effect games?

One less game for me to buy this year?

Welp.. Looks like I'm not playing mass effect 3.

Looks like I won't be finishing my character's story. Didn't like where the series was going anyways...

Guess I won't be playing this until it's nearly free. Cool with me.

Not buying it anymore, then.

Does EA not like money??

Serious question. Why can't you guys go out and buy a physical copy instead? I don't get it.

Top Bottom