• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: Mass Effect 3 will be an Origin-Works game.

Card Boy

Banned
Watch it be region locked and price gouged for Australians on every DD store. Only solution is to proxy a site like GMG or import.

This isn't good competition.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Serious question. Why can't you guys go out and buy a physical copy instead? I don't get it.

Physical PC version still uses Origin

Watch it be region locked and price gouged for Australians on every DD store. Only solution is to proxy site like GMG or import.

This isn't good competition.

I've said it before: competition is good when the content creators/publishers are not the same as the content distributors. As soon as those two sides are coupled then it stops being about the service and starts being about who has what exclusives. Valve is also guilty of this, but their catalog is small enough that it hasn't mattered much. EA is going to be much more annoying.

Kinyou

My reasons are the features that steam has like:

• Backup feature
  • Verify integrity
  • Defrag game cache

...and its EA :O!!
But then I assume you wont buy it for console either, because I mean you wont find any features like that there.

Big-E

Gamersgate, D2D, GoG, GmG, etc. provide a good alternative to steam. Origin is not a good alternative. But hey, if you keep thinking EA is the best competitor to Valve then so be it.

This. Valve has competition. The other companies are often offering better prices than Valve now so this is benefitting the consumer so that the consumer is saving money. I am not in the US, I go to the Origin website here in China and it says that the game is like 50 Euros. Why the fuck it is in Euros I have no fucking clue but that is what it is showing me. EA has not shown they can compete in services to Valve and have only been able to compete by catalog only. This hurts my convenience so EA being around provides no benefit to me.

King_Moc

Banned
If your not American, then yes.

Nonsensically, retail copies of PC games are always cheaper than the download equivalents. Even if it just activates on Steam and lets you download it.

who knows, but it's still a load of shit.

Oh, i'm not defending it. By all means, ban people from forums. Ban them from multi player if they're ruining it for others. But banning from single player when they've paid for that. Surely it's a court case waiting to happen?

If you think Valve will be forever do-good-never-fail company for you, then you are mistaken. Competition is always good.

I love Valve, but i thought they were already going down this route with the TF2 shop. The apologists all defend it, but it's no different to Oblivions Horse armour or Gears 3's weapon colour schemes. My policy is to just refuse to pay if it doesn't look like they've earnt the money. How can designing a decidedly low-poly gun and chucking some stats on it lead them to feel justified in charging everone £10 for it?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Honestly, to me, it seems like a vocal minority of pc gamers are getting increasingly spoiled and bratty when it comes to gaming.

When I see someone bitching about why Witcher 2 is on sale for cheaper on Amazon than Steam. Normally followed by complaining that its not Steamworks or why Steam sucks because it didn't price match it. Then I'll agree. I've seen it many times where the first question is "Does it activate on Steam", followed by No Steam, No Buy. Even in Witcher 2's case of every single store other than Steam being DRM-Free.

But Origin is something different. Its from a company who hasn't won any sort of goodwill in years or been anywhere near progressive for PC gaming. Their polices have reversed multiple times over the generation and nothing they put out really had any benefit over the competition. Like Ubisoft, a good example of this is how many stores, services, and forms of DRM they've used. They didn't even make the revoke tools work for every title with SecuROM.

Weenerz

Banned
Was going to order the CE of this for the PC from Amazon, but now that it will require Origin, EA can yet again go fuck themselves.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I still don't understand why Mass Effect 2 PC didn't have a 360 controller compatible mode.

Iztli

But then I assume you wont buy it for console either, because I mean you wont find any features like that there.

I'm not talking about consoles though... I'm comparing one DD service to another one who offers a better service and value..

I love Valve, but i thought they were already going down this route with the TF2 shop. The apologists all defend it, but it's no different to Oblivions Horse armour or Gears 3's weapon colour schemes. My policy is to just refuse to pay if it doesn't look like they've earnt the money. How can designing a decidedly low-poly gun and chucking some stats on it lead them to feel justified in charging everone £10 for it?
you can't earn horse armor just from playing the game. You can for 99% of the items in TF2's store.

Thank God I have both ME1 and ME2 on the Xbox. All my saves are there, so I'm gonna buy the 360 version. Is Origin so terrible as to make people not buy the game? I mean, Mass Effect is no ordinary game, it may well be the biggest game of this year. Giving up on buying it just because of Origin isn't too extreme?

scarybore

Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game. There is no limit to the number of installs. Playing Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer will require a constant connection.

To be honest I don't have any real problems with Origin being required if this is the case. Disappointed it's not available on Steam, but as the thread title insinuates, we all expected as much. Does Origin have download limits? There never seems to be a clear answer on this.

I still don't understand why Mass Effect 2 PC didn't have a 360 controller compatible mode.

Because Bioware suffer from sheer muppetness.

A crack just to avoid a low resource program running in the background? the fuck is this madness

oh right I forgot, Origin spies on everyone and sends all your data to evil corporations

It's not madness. Using a crack for this game will probably be faster and easier than installing Origin.

I won't get to play the multiplayer (Oh noez!), but I also won't have to worry about another service I need to log-in to in order to play the games I rightfully own.

The reasons they give for why it's not on Steam is total BS. Steam makes it easy for customers to get patches and downloadable content. What EA is doing is making it harder for customers to get those things because EA are the ones that feel inconvenienced by Steam.

Will you be able to import your steam ME2 save?

because if not that is completely fucked up.

Also any news on if there is a chance kingdoms of amalur reckoning will be on steam? its EAP game which are hit or miss when it comes to EA's steam boycott.

It's not madness. Using a crack for this game will probably be faster and easier than installing Origin.

I won't get to play the multiplayer (Oh noez!), but I also won't have to worry about another service I need to log-in to in order to play the games I rightfully own.

The reasons they give for why it's not on Steam is total BS. Steam makes it easy for customers to get patches and downloadable content. What EA is doing is making it harder for customers to get those things because EA are the ones that feel inconvenienced by Steam.

And it's their right to put it out on whatever service they want. If Steam gets in the way of their DLC, patches, whatever then they don't have to go there. Here's an insider tip: people will still buy millions of copies and will take Origin with no problems.

The people bitching are a vocal minority of a vocal minority (GAF) of gaming.

angelfly

I always planned on getting the 360 version but it still surprises me how many people on GAF will skip a PC game if it's not on steam.

Wallach

And it's their right to put it out on whatever service they want. If Steam gets in the way of their DLC, patches, whatever then they don't have to go there. Here's an insider tip: people will still buy millions of copies and will take Origin with no problems.

You think they will sell millions of copies of the PC version?

scitek

Sucks to be you. I can't imagine passing up a game I wanted to play simply because it wasn't sold through my favorite store.

The problem is having to launch Origin to play the game. I already run Steam 24/7 and launch every game I own through it regardless of where I buy them. The dumbfucks at EA seem to think most people would have no problem running numerous clients at once with just a couple of games in each. I'm not going to have Steam launch Origin, either.

Of course it's their "right" to do whatever they want with their shit.

It's also my "right" not to like what they are doing and not support it.

Kinyou

I'm not talking about consoles though... I'm comparing one DD service to another one who offers a better service and value..
Yeah of course, just wanted to know because there were many who said that they'll buy it for console, but those have apparently different reasons.

I always planned on getting the 360 version but it still surprises me how many people on GAF will skip a PC game if it's not on steam.

Not all of us are skipping it "because it isn't on steam". I have ME 1 and ME 2 on steam and it would've been nice to have had ME 3 on there too. However that isn't the deal breaker, I am skipping Mass Effect 3 because I do not like Origin, I don't like what it does and I don't like how EA are using Origin. I sure as hell do not trust EA one little bit with regard to them being a DD company.

I had hoped to avoid Origin by buying the Retail version (see not fussed I couldn't have it on Steam) but after this news I promptly cancelled my order. I do not wish to use Origin and I won't let that POS on my PC. I don't know maybe I am old fashioned but I don't want EA "directly connecting with me" in fact I want EA as far away from me as possible.

Loam

Sad news, though I'm sure a majority of people already assumed this would be the case.
Hmm, I'd prefer it to be on Steam too, but people forget that Valve games are exclusive to Steam, so you can't fault EA for doing the same thing.

Except ME3 wont be exclusive to Origin, the OP even says they plan on selling it from various other DD services.

It certainly is there right to sell it wherever they want. And it's anyone's right to not buy it from Origin if they dont want to.

But come on man :D :D Come on. :D Steam was going to get in their way of selling DLC and patching games? : D It's adorable you believe that. And it all happened right at the same time that they were launching Origin. How fortunate for EA!

legend166

At this point I'm starting to think that Valve changed their policies so that if you sell your game on Steam, patches must be delivered through Steam.

Can anyone think of any games that have come out recently that don't do that? How do the F2P/MMOs do it?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Does anyone else find it amusing that they have to always have FAQs now for their "big" releases just to answer the question "is it on Steam?"

ArjanN

Guess I'll hold off on ME3 then. At least until it drops in price.

At this point I'm starting to think that Valve changed their policies so that if you sell your game on Steam, patches must be delivered through Steam.

Meh, it's fairly obvious to me EA is just looking for an excuse to not put some of their biggest games on Steam in order to promote Origin.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
nooooo!!!!!

yeah, I've already succumb to the Origin overlord with BF3 so it doesn't bother me to much anymore. But I will miss all the nice Steam integration.

Derrick01

Banned

Can anyone think of any games that have come out recently that don't do that? How do the F2P/MMOs do it?

I think the rules were you have to sell your dlc through steam if you want to be on steam, and that was put in place to get the F2P MMOs on Steam. I don't know if I agree with the rules 100% but I do know from buying ME2 DLC through Bioware's site (which by the way both ME games and Dragon Age 1 are on Steam still) that I'm not going to bother with DLC unless it's on Steam. Such a huge hassle.

Loam

Having suffered through many terrible F2P games this winter due to the holiday event I can safely tell you that several games still use their own patching clients. My guess would be that Valve requires paid DLC to be available on their storefront.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think the rules were you have to sell your dlc through steam if you want to be on steam, and that was put in place to get the F2P MMOs on Steam. I don't know if I agree with the rules 100% but I do know from buying ME2 DLC through Bioware's site (which by the way both ME games and Dragon Age 1 are on Steam still) that I'm not going to bother with DLC unless it's on Steam. Such a huge hassle.

But Bioware points are great! You can buy them in easy to use packages!

What's wrong with buying Bioware Points off of the Bioware website and then using those points to buy the DLC off of the Bioware website?

It's all about making it easier for the consumer!

RedSwirl

Most anti-cosumer publisher on the PC side: EA or Ubisoft?

Ubisoft. EA at least still gives a shit about PC gaming and sees it as a viable market to which to sell games.

Also, honestly, Origin is not this evil thing that will harm your computer upon installation, there's just no practical reason to use it. It's not BAD, just useless compared to Steam.

Top Bottom