• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SHOCKING* PS4 to outsell Xbox One at launch, predicts Pachter

Sony and Microsoft will launch their next-generation home consoles in less than 8 weeks. With pre-orders reaching record setting levels, many are growing curious as to how much supply Microsoft and Sony will have for and following launch. Likewise, people are wondering which of the two will have the most impressive launch in terms of sales. On Sept. 28, Michael Pachter spoke on this topic during the latest episode of the Pach Attack via GameTrailers.

When asked how many units the PS4 and Xbox One will sell in their first two weeks of availability, Pachter feels that the PS4 will outsell the Xbox One, though both will sell whatever they ship.

“They are going to sell as many units as they ship, and they are probably going to each ship more than a million,” said Pachter.

With Sony confirming they have taken over 1 million pre-orders for the PS4, Pachter shared that Jack Tretton, President and CEO of SCEA, has told him that Sony will have “a lot more” available.

“Sony’s has already announced the PS4 has a million pre-orders, so the answer for Sony is a million the first day. All the pre-orders are going to get filled. I just went on Amazon and you can’t pre-order an Xbox One for same-day launch – they guarantee it by Dec. 31, so they are sold out of their pre-order quantities.

I was surprised Sony took a million pre-orders and I talked to Jack Tretton about this and he said ‘We’re going to have a lot more units behind that at launch.’” Pachter expressed.

As for the Xbox One, Pachter notes that the system is no longer available for pre-order on Amazon for launch day delivery, however, they do expect to fulfill orders by Dec. 31. In terms of sales during the opening two weeks, Pachter predicts the Xbox One will sell around 1 million units.

“I guess the first couple of weeks 1.5 million [PS4] and Xbox One probably 1 million, so 2.5 million combined, which is a lot. That’s what I think you are going to see,” Pachter concluded.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ps4-to-outsell-xbox-one-at-launch-predicts-pachter

AlucardGV

Banned
XgIjE6D.jpg

UNCMark

Banned
Nintendo sold a bunch of Wii Us at launch. Selling launch units isn't hard. What happens in Jan, Feb, March etc is what's going to tell the full story. Has Pach said anything about who he thinks will be selling the most non-holiday/launch units?

UberTag

Remember when he said Nintendo would automatically sell whatever Wii Us they shipped for the first couple months?

Good times!
e5YuU.gif

Zabant

Literally every PS4 and Xbox one ever made will sell day one.

Welcome to the Zeitgeist people, gaming is now pretty much the Number 1 media product in the world.

Wasp

I think Microsoft is going to do better than many people expect. Why? One word: marketing.

I expect Microsoft to go on a massive marketing blitz this holiday season, probably spending double whatever Sony spend.

I think it was 32 (without counting Asia). So anyone have the updated country count?

Will be interesting to see how many units they can actually spread across that many countries.

That said, if MS is only launching in a third of the number of countries, isn't a 1M sale prediction vs a 1.5M sale prediction for PS4 not too bad of a figure?

This post is so bad. I'm sorry.

Sorry. It seems to be a habit at the moment.

I think Microsoft is going to do better than many people expect. Why? One word: marketing.

I expect Microsoft to go on a massive marketing blitz this holiday season, probably spending double whatever Sony spend.

that didn't help their last few products.

So the opposite will happen...

I have to say, I actually hope Pachter is right. And I, currently, plan on getting an Xbone
(first. I don't know when I'll get a PS4, but the Order 1886, Infamous SS, Knack, and Killzone SF have me convinced I will be getting one).

Why? Simple.

If the Xbox does not sell as well as the PS4, then Microsoft will compelled to continue to pump out lots of good games to compete with Sony. Once Microsoft feels secure, then they will likely feel content to slow down a bit. We know Sony was compelled to do this when the 360 shot ahead of the PS3, and look where they are now with the amount of games they have (the quality is debatable, but you can't deny that most are deffinately worth playing and in certain instances, stellar).

If the Xbone is selling poorly, then Halo 5 better be pretty stinking amazing for some people to get one.

You get me?

Moosehole

Both consoles are going to sell out of initial stock. The console that has more launch units available will have more sales. Period.

jaypah

I'm assuming that both will sell out and I'm also assuming that Sony will have more stock. So...yeah.

Edit: Considering how much MS loves NPD I wonder if they will pull a bunch of units from other regions to sell in America?

Majmun

Will be interesting to see how many units they can actually spread across that many countries.

That said, if MS is only launching in a third of the number of countries, isn't a 1M sale prediction vs a 1.5M sale prediction for PS4 not too bad of a figure?

Sorry. It seems to be a habit at the moment.

Isn't this just for NA?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Literally every PS4 and Xbox one ever made will sell day one.

Welcome to the Zeitgeist people, gaming is now pretty much the Number 1 media product in the world.

And for good reason. No sport is as competitive as gaming. No piece of literature is as throught provoking or well written. The best aspects of music and film are integrated and actually elevated in the gaming medium. Standard controller games are the last non-VR entertainment bastion. The final frontier.

Moosehole

I see 4 or 5 commercials an hour for Surface tablets so they must be selling like hotcakes.

Top Bottom