• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SHOCKING* PS4 to outsell Xbox One at launch, predicts Pachter

pixlexic

Banned
He says because he thinks sony will ship more .. because of a talk with jack treton.

They both will sell out easily.

Majmun

If the Xbox does not sell as well as the PS4, then Microsoft will compelled to continue to pump out lots of good games to compete with Sony. Once Microsoft feels secure, then they will likely feel content to slow down a bit. We know Sony was compelled to do this when the 360 shot ahead of the PS3, and look where they are now with the amount of games they have

You get me?

MS better start creating new dev teams asap then. Sony already had a lot of internal teams, that's why they could pump out game after game. MS doesn't have that luxury.

November NPD thread is gonna be a sight to watch

How? These two consoles are going to spend the rest of the year at least sold out. All November NPD will show who shipped more stock into the US that month (Almost certainly MS, as they're launching in less than half as many countries as Sony, so you'd imagine they'd HAVE to have more stock for the only market they seem to care about).

Anyone thinking November NPD is going to be the most telling of this launch is kidding themselves.

They really fucked up with voice recognition / commands imo. The Xbox-one is delayed in a lot of countries because of this.
It will do fine in countries where they actually like Hand-egg.

I was at a Gamestop today and I overheard an employee say, "People are pre-ordering the PS4 significantly more than the Xbox 1." Anecdotal evidence and all that.

Wasp

that didn't help their last few products.
It certainly helped Kinect.

Although marketing spend will probably be pretty irrelevant this year because the issue both Sony and Microsoft have isn't with convincing people to buy their new products but rather how many units they can manufacture in time for Christmas.

But in the slightly longer term once all the day oners own a console I can see Microsoft start to pull ahead due to superior marketing.

McHuj

Anyone thinking November NPD is going to be the most telling of this launch is kidding themselves.

I think March-September of next year for both consoles are very important. Even January anf maybe February should carry some launch momentum, but that should really slow in the spring. If there's a console that dips below 60-80k in NPD in those months, I think they are in trouble and at $499 I think that's a possibility for Xbox.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
And for good reason. No sport is as competitive as gaming. No piece of literature is as throught provoking or well written. The best aspects of music and film are integrated and actually elevated in the gaming medium. Standard controller games are the last non-VR entertainment bastion. The final frontier.
Way to romanticize me sitting in a spinning chair in front of a TV and two tower speakers.
MS better start creating new dev teams asap then. Sony already had a lot of internal teams, that's why they could pump out game after game. MS doesn't have that luxury.
This is the most true part. I honestly believe Uncharted 2 would have came out regardless of if Sony was floundering or striving. They just have so many studios pumping out games year after year. MS could keep paying out money for exclusives but, I don't know how long that'll last.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It certainly helped Kinect.

Although marketing spend will probably be pretty irrelevant this year because the issue both Sony and Microsoft have isn't with convincing people to buy their new products but rather how many units they can manufacture in time for Christmas.

But in the slightly longer term once all the day oners own a console I can see Microsoft start to pull ahead due to superior marketing.

Convincing folks to spend $500 on a dedicated gaming console is an issue and it's one that marketing can't fix.

Will be interesting to see how many units they can actually spread across that many countries.

That said, if MS is only launching in a third of the number of countries, isn't a 1M sale prediction vs a 1.5M sale prediction for PS4 not too bad of a figure?

Sorry. It seems to be a habit at the moment.

More countries doesn't automatically mean a significant amount of sales. Some markets are very small

Mysteriously, Sony will reverse their policy on stating sales figures.

Well actually, I've always thought that the advantages of not release sales figures to NPD, is that you can just create the image that literally everything you do creates a bazillion sales and let the rest of the world run with it because nobody can prove otherwise.

One of the advantages if digital distribution at the moment.

I'm sure people would love to shout about how Origin is failing and how nobody is buying Battlefield on PC because its not on Steam etc, but there's literally no way for them to know what the sales are like because they aren't reported anywhere.

Way to romanticize me sitting in a spinning chair in front of a TV and two tower speakers.
This is the most true part. I honestly believe Uncharted 2 would have came out regardless of if Sony was floundering or striving. They just have so many studios pumping out games year after year. MS could keep paying out money for exclusives but, I don't know how long that'll last.

However, MS has not been releasing many exclusives for the 360 while Sony has been releasing more than ever for the PS3. Those Sony studios have been tied up with PS3 games. That's why I think by MS not releasing games for the 360, they have an edge the first year until Sony studios start focusing on next gen.

vcc

How? These two consoles are going to spend the rest of the year at least sold out. All November NPD will show who shipped more stock into the US that month (Almost certainly MS, as they're launching in less than half as many countries as Sony, so you'd imagine they'd HAVE to have more stock for the only market they seem to care about).

Not only are they not equipped at the moment, they have lack the support of 3 of the forces behind the 360's success. Bungie, Cliffy B, and peter molyneux. Rare has been gutted, and the rumors from CBOAT speak of many of the talented people having moved on because of their dis-interest in kinect development. They are in a bad situation to push out first party games.

spirity

He's really getting arsey. I think he needs to start ignoring some of the more out there comments he sees because he's obviously taking them to heart, and its making his show just about him looking down his nose at the people posting questions.

Or better still, just stop coming in to work so early to film Ask Pach and concentrate on your regular job. He'll be happier.

UNCMark

Banned
Months ago Amazon stopped selling reservations on non-launch PS4 units. It's still higher on their yearly sales charts than the Xbox One non-launch unit that has been for sale at Amazon since June. It's shaping up to be a massacre imo.

KoopaTheCasual

Months ago Amazon stopped selling reservations on non-launch PS4 units. It's still higher on their yearly sales charts than the Xbox One non-launch unit that has been for sale at Amazon since June. It's shaping up to be a massacre imo.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that XB1 will lose to PS4 (across the board) in November and probably through Christmas, through virtue of supply alone. I'm really curious to see which way the mass market decides come next year. Especially during the Super Bowl, which MS will probably have an Xbox ad for. (Supposedly it's only an average of $3.5M for a 30 second ad, which is a great deal given the exposure it provides). My question is will Sony see the importance of the Super Bowl and pony up the cash for that?

I think it's a foregone conclusion that XB1 will lose to PS4 (across the board) in November and probably through Christmas, through virtue of supply alone. I'm really curious to see which way the mass market decides come next year. Especially during the Super Bowl, which MS will probably have an Xbox ad for. (Supposedly it's only an average of $3.5M for a 30 second ad, which is a great deal given the exposure it provides). My question is will Sony see the importance of the Super Bowl and pony up the cash for that?

I think a lot also rides on what people will do with their consoles when not playing games (especially after the launch hype) and what opportunities (if any) they will have to interact with them on a general/ongoing basis, rather than a periodic one.

MS is looking to have their console be turned on and used regardless of what the television is being used for at any given time.

The amount of visibility that usage scenario could provide to [insert company with a product] would be a mouth watering prospect and not just for game developers.

But that's if the gamble actually pays off.

The NPD threads after February are going to be a sight to see. Grab your swords, my brothers. War will soon be upon us.

On a serious note, I'm not believing that Microsoft will have enough stock to even compete with Sony in the numbers game if they tried. It's when the launch hype dies down that things get interesting. Let's see how important 100 dollars really is.

wizzbang

Banned
Just to be the always glass half empty guy but man, even with a .5% failure rate, there's going to be 5000 gaming nerds across the globe sad as fuck on launch day!
(.5% is an incredibly low failure rate mind you, it'll probably be higher)

The NPD threads after February are going to be a sight to see. Grab your swords, my brothers. War will soon be upon us.

On a serious note, I'm not believing that Microsoft will have enough stock to even compete with Sony in the numbers game if they tried. It's when the launch hype dies down that things get interesting. Let's see how important 100 dollars really is.

Yea around then is when it will be interesting. Not really much this fall.

And for good reason. No sport is as competitive as gaming. No piece of literature is as throught provoking or well written. The best aspects of music and film are integrated and actually elevated in the gaming medium. Standard controller games are the last non-VR entertainment bastion. The final frontier.

lol if you actually think this.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
You think Sony will finally start releasing numbers again?

Doesn't matter, will MS announce they are the second best selling next gen system for one month?

neptunes

What does he mean by this?
“Sony’s has already announced the PS4 has a million pre-orders, so the answer for Sony is a million the first day. All the pre-orders are going to get filled. I just went on Amazon and you can’t pre-order an Xbox One for same-day launch – they guarantee it by Dec. 31, so they are sold out of their pre-order quantities.

One month? They'll be the second best selling Next gen system for the rest of the generation.
That's what they were for most of this generation too..

Skilletor

This is hilarious.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Usually the opposite of what he says happens, but this is one thing so obvious he can't actually be wrong.

Top Bottom