• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

gunstarhero

SolderX2

Have been putting a lot of time into this game - at first I didn't immediately LOVE it like I did with some of the recent shmup releases like Futari, Raiden or Espagaluda2 - but it's really growing on me.

The voice overs and using the lower center on the screen for mostly meaningless announcements really annoyed me. But it wasn't a deal breaker and I stuck with it - and glad I did.

I mentioned previously that it reminds me a lot of Gaires on the Genesis - lots of oversized enemies, awesome graphics varied level environments.

Anyway - what really hooked me on the game was the replay value - searching for Secret Keys to unlock new stages, completing Challenges to unlock new weapons/ships (?), and increasing your player rank all kept me coming back.

I'm still trying to figure out some nuances - like what makes enemies/bosses release chain rings. But right now I'm focused on unlocking Stage 7 - which means I need to find more keys... which at this point is proving challenging since some of the later keys require you to be at a certain rank.

All in all I'm really glad I picked this up - it doesn't seem to be getting a lot of love on GAF, which is the reason for this long rant. I think fans of the genre should grab it ASAP - especially since side-view shmups are kinda rare these days - Deathsmiles is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.

I think PSN has this bundled for a short time with Soldner 1 - but I'm not sure how good it is since I never played it.

Any tips on SX2 would be appreciated! :D

Yes Boss!

Definitely eBay. You will likely get the code via email before the night is out. NCSX, on the other hand always seems to be out of them.

Let us know how it plays on the PSP once you get it!

krae_man

Dang, I really want to get Raiden IV but look what Canada has to put up with:

Gamestop.com

Gamestop.ca

Also cuse it made me smile:

2wrlxsi.jpg

gunstarhero

Getting the word out for Prismatic Solid. This is a must buy, especially at the $1 price point. Really awesome playing game, graphics are amazing, and runs at 60 fps. Must buy! Available on 360 indie games.

Looks pretty cool - will check it out later today.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Any good shmups for the iPhone/iTouch besides ESPgaluda II?

Although I prefer my shmups doujin/anime rather than the full 3d ones, planning to purchase Abigale. :p

fatty

Setting up a Japanese PSN Account

I've also updated the OP with the link, I'll try to get another update for games this week.

gunstarhero said:
SolderX2

Have been putting a lot of time into this game - at first I didn't immediately LOVE it like I did with some of the recent shmup releases like Futari, Raiden or Espagaluda2 - but it's really growing on me.

The voice overs and using the lower center on the screen for mostly meaningless announcements really annoyed me. But it wasn't a deal breaker and I stuck with it - and glad I did.

I mentioned previously that it reminds me a lot of Gaires on the Genesis - lots of oversized enemies, awesome graphics varied level environments.

Anyway - what really hooked me on the game was the replay value - searching for Secret Keys to unlock new stages, completing Challenges to unlock new weapons/ships (?), and increasing your player rank all kept me coming back.

I'm still trying to figure out some nuances - like what makes enemies/bosses release chain rings. But right now I'm focused on unlocking Stage 7 - which means I need to find more keys... which at this point is proving challenging since some of the later keys require you to be at a certain rank.

All in all I'm really glad I picked this up - it doesn't seem to be getting a lot of love on GAF, which is the reason for this long rant. I think fans of the genre should grab it ASAP - especially since side-view shmups are kinda rare these days - Deathsmiles is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.

I think PSN has this bundled for a short time with Soldner 1 - but I'm not sure how good it is since I never played it.

Any tips on SX2 would be appreciated! :D

Thanks for the impressions. SolderX is one of those games that I thought looked great from screenshots but many people weren't really to impressed with the gameplay. I'm thinking that I will give this one a shot, especially if it is being bundled with the first game.

Been a long time since I tate-d(?) anything. I game on a 42" widescreen now and the playing field is just as big as my old CRTs turned on their sides.

EDIT: What 360 indie shmups are worth buying? I got Shoot1Up and it was cool, but what else is there?

Tain

I've heard Shoot1up is the best of them, and if that's true, I'd honestly say that none of them are worth buying. :x

Tain said:
I've heard Shoot1up is the best of them, and if that's true, I'd honestly say that none of them are worth buying. :x

Not a fan of that game at all. I guess some people liked it, but I hated the game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Caved in Espgaluda II for the iPhone.

Love the game. First bullet hell though.

Tain

Back at home, it was these RGB monitors:

rgb_monitors.JPG

Nowadays, it's a 1080p LCD screen with a rotating stand I just got. Screen has always looked great, but I'm loving this stand. Once I have the room, though, those RGB mothers are coming back.

Using a TE stick.

man that trunk is old

conman

Freezie KO said:
I really hope everyone in this thread picked up Sin and Punishment 2. Probably the best shooter I've ever played.
I know everyone's been tripping over themselves in love with this game, but it really didn't do much for me. Levels are just plain too long. Levels really need some stage divisions--especially for scoring purposes. Some great moments, though.

conman said:
I know everyone's been tripping over themselves in love with this game, but it really didn't do much for me. Levels are just plain too long. Levels really need some stage divisions--especially for scoring purposes. Some great moments, though.

To each their own, but I love the long levels. You just never know when they're going to end, and it puts an important emphasis on survival. It's necessary to be able to hold onto your multipliers (and your health) through the gauntlet or, precisely, you won't get those high scores. Plus the levels are so creative.

JEKKI

yo!

speaking of 360 indie games, I jus saw the trailer for Vampire Rage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTsmPHdEZJ8

I am so sold...

also some other artsy stuff on xbox indies,

Prismatic Solid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvAxxH8IUes

Leave Home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7yyM_Tdzmk

lastly an iphone game that caught my attention, Icarus-X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_O4UBcnA2Y

I played another iphone shmup a few weeks ago called Assault Squadron:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VANovWXhsw

didnt like it -_- granted I havent beaten it, but seems very cookie cutter shmup.

but worst of all, the power up tokens can often times be the same color as enemy bullets o_O

ULTROS! said:
Any good shmups for the iPhone/iTouch besides ESPgaluda II?

Although I prefer my shmups doujin/anime rather than the full 3d ones, planning to purchase Abigale. :p
Space Invaders Infinity Gene, S.deadbeaf (space deadbeef), rRootage

kassatsu

Banned
fatty said:
Setting up a Japanese PSN Account

I've also updated the OP with the link, I'll try to get another update for games this week.

Thanks for the impressions. SolderX is one of those games that I thought looked great from screenshots but many people weren't really to impressed with the gameplay. I'm thinking that I will give this one a shot, especially if it is being bundled with the first game.
Since PlayStation Plus there is a new store front. I updated the guide, but here is the image if you wanna just use that.

JPstorefront.jpg

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I won an xbots! Sweet! I was planning on importing a Japanese system, but this makes things much easier for me. First thing I did was run out and buy Raiden Fighters Aces because Deathsmiles was nowhere to be found (damn you aksys, one copy per store out here? SERIOUSLY?). Next paycheck I will be importing futari and galuda 2. Giggidy giggidy. Any other region free shooters I should bother with? I haven't been paying too much attention to the 360 scene outside of Cave.

EDIT: It's only an arcade so I'm not too interested in XBLA releases. Retail only.

luka said:
I won an xbots! Sweet! I was planning on importing a Japanese system, but this makes things much easier for me. First thing I did was run out and buy Raiden Fighters Aces because Deathsmiles was nowhere to be found (damn you aksys, one copy per store out here? SERIOUSLY?). Next paycheck I will be importing futari and galuda 2. Giggidy giggidy. Any other region free shooters I should bother with? I haven't been paying too much attention to the 360 scene outside of Cave.

EDIT: It's only an arcade so I'm not too interested in XBLA releases. Retail only.

If I remember correctly Death Smiles was not being carried in stores (besides game stop) just like Legend of Agarest War. Amazon is your best bet.

gunstarhero

Anyone looking for something different to play, go play SRD (Super Real Darwin) on the Data East Collection for the Wii. :lol

Super bizarre shooter where you collect DNA to evolve your ship (and devolve if you take a bullet). Beside the odd ship designs, the enemy patterns are totally strange and feel unpredictable at first.

Never heard of this shooter until today - definitely worth a play if your a shooter fan looking for something different. I wouldn't call the game great - but it certainly stands out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
LiK said:
i posted a top ten video of my fave shmups on the 360. feel free to recommend ones i missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9hU_LUqIkk

damn, that video almost has me wanting to rebuy a 360. Although a few still bullet hell types which I'm not a fan of, just Raiden(s) and Ikaruga are enough to get me going.

Are they all only 360? - PS3 seems under-served which is odd as most of the shooters seem to be Japanese and the 360 doesn't do so well there.

Are these retail games, live downloads or a mix of the two? and if live downloads, are they easily accessible for a UK Gaffer?

LiK

mrklaw said:
damn, that video almost has me wanting to rebuy a 360. Although a few still bullet hell types which I'm not a fan of, just Raiden(s) and Ikaruga are enough to get me going.

Are they all only 360? - PS3 seems under-served which is odd as most of the shooters seem to be Japanese and the 360 doesn't do so well there.

Are these retail games, live downloads or a mix of the two? and if live downloads, are they easily accessible for a UK Gaffer?

yea. all 360. i have the list of all the games at the end of the video indicating if it's XBLA or 360. :)

i dunno about the UK marketplace so i'm not sure what's available there.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I have something to tell you all.

A new Darius game is coming out, and will be revealed this week.

It's a dual screen shooter. :)

First info will be revealed in this month's Arcadia magazine, which comes out on the 30th.

The countdown page is here: http://www.taito.co.jp/arc/unknown/

LiK

Dizzy-4U said:
What's the general consciousness about the shmup pack in the psn store? Worth it? Meh? Don't even think about it?

i forget the official thread but it was pretty meh-tacular from GAF's impressions. disappointing.

ULTROS!

Dizzy-4U said:
What's the general consciousness about the shmup pack in the psn store? Worth it? Meh? Don't even think about it?

Which shmup pack? The Gundemonium one?

I'd only recommend GundeadliGne.

Oichi

_dementia said:
After Darius Burst, not sure if want

Never played burst, so I can't say anything about it!

duckroll asked me about this on irc, but right now I have no idea how the dual screen setup for the new Darius works; it could be a shooter with action on both screens, or one screen is a touch panel for controls, or some other crazy gimmick. All I know is that the game is going to be shown for the first time in Arcadia and it'll be this week, and it uses two screens.

Oichi

New info!

Japanese Title: ダライアスバースト アナザークロニクル

The game will ship in a special cabinet that houses two 32 inch wide screen monitors, that allows up to four players to play at the same time. It also comes with body sonic seats and inputs for headphones.

There will be a location test from August 7th until the 8th at Akihabara HEY, but on the 6th the game will be shown via TAITO LIVE!

Shinriji

Dizzy-4U said:

Gundead and Gundemonium are pretty good and worth it. Gundemonium grew up with me as I kept playing as the best of the 2, but Gundead has the best graphics and replayability. Both plays similar (horizontal shooter) but have different enough mechanics (friction breaks, alter breaks, matrixes) for you to enjoy both games.

Hitogata is meh, I guess. But it's too unbalanced (stages are easy, boss are hard because of the time limit and 1-hit game over after the end of the time limit).

Ultros!, we have to stick together as the Gundemonium Defense Force. :lol Add me on PSN (Shinriji) to compare high scores on the shooters. Do you have Raystorm HD?

ULTROS!

I didn't pick up RayStorm HD because it's only available on Japan PSN... Plus the reviews aren't so good. I do wish there were more doujin/anime shmups.

I guess my next pick up would be Shoot1up. I'd be glad to add you.

Oichi said:
New info!

Japanese Title: ダライアスバースト アナザークロニクル

The game will ship in a special cabinet that houses two 32 inch wide screen monitors, that allows up to four players to play at the same time. It also comes with body sonic seats and inputs for headphones.

There will be a location test from August 7th until the 8th at Akihabara HEY, but on the 6th the game will be shown via TAITO LIVE!
thank you for the update, i'm looking forward to footage of the thing

Yes Boss! said:
Zanac X Zanac went up on PSN. Worth the 600?
I would have saved some of my points for this had I known this was coming!
Zanac Neo is easily one of my favorite Compile games. I was a big fan of the original Zanac too, even if it's really dated. I think it's a worthwhile compilation, go for it!

Yes Boss!

Good words. I'll bite on it.

I also see that Supergrafx Battle Ace is up. Terrible game but I'll likely have to get it eventually to relive memories.

Top Bottom