• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Shiv47

Yes Boss! said:
Yep,

But you have to do it from within the PS3 dashboard with the PSP in USB mode. There is a special menu for activating your PSP there for a specific account. Pretty simple, if a minor annoyance. That said, if you are just playing everything on the PS3 then all content from all regions is playable from your main account.

Cool, thanks.

kassatsu

Banned
Screens for Soldner X-2 DLC out

http://www.psnstores.com/2010/08/soldner-x-2-final-prototype-the-last-chapter-screens/

11.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

fatty

Speaking of Soldner-X, both games are on sale this week on the PSN store:

Thanks to FriskyTanuki at CAG:

PSN/PS+ Sales for the Week of August 24
Advertisement
Register for free to remove this ad

Not much for this week, so here are the new sales for this week for PSN and PS+:

Everyone:

Let's Golf - $0.99 - PSP/PS3

PlayStation Plus:

PlayStation Protection Plan - 2 Year - $44.99 - PS3/US Only
Soldner-X: Himmelsturmer/Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype Bundle - $10.79
Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype - $9.09

Yes Boss!

Yeah, this is No. 5 With Runner, the fourth title, easily the best of the series and one of the best arcade-type experiences this gen.

I'm kinda hoping once the series gets wrapped up Gaijin releases a compilation disc or ports these awesome titles to the PS3/Move so more folks get a chance to try them.

kinggroin

Banned
I don't know; could never get into bullet hell shmups. Something about them make feel less like I'm playing a shooter game and more like I'm playing a winamp visualization.

I'm more into stuff like R-type, Radiant Silvergun, Einhander, Blazing Lazers, and Pulstar.

Kron

Banned
In the last week a Dreamcast version of Fast Striker has been announced, I think this is a definative list of whats coming out in the next few months:

Dreamcast

Winter 2010:

Fast Striker DC Regular Edition
http://www.ngdevdirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=38&osCsid=cb78f4b24fa612e81285755ebe626bd8
32,95EUR

Fast Striker DC Limited Edition
http://www.ngdevdirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=39&osCsid=cb78f4b24fa612e81285755ebe626bd8
45,95EUR

Fast Striker Double Bundle
http://www.ngdevdirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=40&osCsid=cb78f4b24fa612e81285755ebe626bd8
68,95EUR

Xbox 360 (Japan)

Oct 28:

Radirgy Noa Massive
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-9oq-71-el-49-en-84-j-70-3x41.html
Price: US$ 79.90 (~52.41 GBP)

Nov:

Otomedius Excellent
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-9oq-49-en-84-j-70-3yco.html

Nov 25:

Do Don Pachi Resurrection
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-9oq-49-en-84-j-70-3xkl.html

Do Don Pachi Resurrection [Limited Edition]
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-9oq-49-en-84-j-70-3xkw.html
Price: US$ 119.90 (~78.64 GBP)

Dec:

Bullet Soul
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-9oq-49-en-84-j-70-3y5h.html
Price: US$ 84.90 (~55.69 GBP)

Spring 2011:

Pink Sweets & Muchi Muchi Pork Double Pack
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-9oq-49-en-84-j-70-3xkm.html
Price: TBA

Quite impressive really considering the genre has (unfortunately) small appeal to most these days.

Yes Boss!

Thanks for all the links Kron! I had missed the announcement of Fast Striker so that makes me happy!

Surprisingly, NCSX has yet to put up any of these preorders outside if Radirgy. My address is in New York so I'm patiently waiting for their listings...and a stick announcement for DoDonPachi R. Hopefully that game won't get the shaft like Espgaluda II.

Yes Boss!

Thinking about going for the Wonderswan Judgement Silversword. Anybody have experience with this particular title...worth the price? The youtubes look really, really awesome.

Shinriji

gunstarhero said:
Anyone play KOF Sky Stage and Space Invaders Infinity Gene? Impressions?

I bought Space Invaders, and it's awesome. The game is all about evolution, the game begins limited (just like the old SI) and it will opening some possibilities (new weapons, more mobility, power-ups) as long as you keep playing. The Zuntata soudtrack is really amazing. The best thing about Inifnity Gene is the music mode, that creates a random stage based on music that you have in your HD, with the enemies sort of matching the beats of the music . It's like a custom REZ.

gunstarhero

I bought Space Invaders, and it's awesome. The game is all about evolution, the game begins limited (just like the old SI) and it will opening some possibilities (new weapons, more mobility, power-ups) as long as you keep playing. The Zuntata soudtrack is really amazing. The best thing about Inifnity Gene is the music mode, that creates a random stage based on music that you have in your HD, with the enemies sort of matching the beats of the music . It's like a custom REZ.

Cool - so it's basically the same game as the iPhone version? Screenshots lead me to believe it has new levels/patterns.

I hope they let me upgrade to the Darius ship again!

Adam Blue

I think KoF Sky Stage is a lot of fun. It just sticks to the formula of a vert bullet-hell shooter but with shorter stages and multiple characters.

Yes Boss!

Adam Blue said:
I think KoF Sky Stage is a lot of fun. It just sticks to the formula of a vert bullet-hell shooter but with shorter stages and multiple characters.
And tough as nails. Don't let the demo fool you, this one is a lot better as a full game. For $10 it is a no-brainer.

Adam Blue

Yeah, the demo makes it seem pretty easy. But luckily, as you play you earn credits and the ability to go to the last stage you were on.

gunstarhero

KOF SS is up there as one of my fav XBLA shooters! Yes Boss is right - the demo makes a poor first impression: all shooter fans should pick this up.

It is tough - reminds me a bit of Mushi Futari in terms of difficulty. It's tough in a good way.

Presentation and graphics are really good - and I never get tired of receiving a "KO" when beating a boss. Hilarious.

Sad to see this game getting so little coverage. Space Invaders seems to be overshadowing it in terms of reviews/coverage of this type of game, but KOF is the better game IMO (not saying SI is bad - it's great).

If your in this thread, buy this game :D

Chuckie

Recently I purchased Hitogata Happa. I love the game and the graphics but damn.... this game is kicking me in the balls.... repeatedly.... on easy.

I am afraid I am not made for bullet hell games.

Hitogata Happa was the one i picked up too. Great but difficult as all hell :D

And i completely missed the news on Soldner-X DLC. Love it!

vulva

gunstarhero said:
KOF SS is up there as one of my fav XBLA shooters! Yes Boss is right - the demo makes a poor first impression: all shooter fans should pick this up.

It is tough - reminds me a bit of Mushi Futari in terms of difficulty. It's tough in a good way.

Presentation and graphics are really good - and I never get tired of receiving a "KO" when beating a boss. Hilarious.

Sad to see this game getting so little coverage. Space Invaders seems to be overshadowing it in terms of reviews/coverage of this type of game, but KOF is the better game IMO (not saying SI is bad - it's great).

If your in this thread, buy this game :D
I really really really want this game, but can't afford it right now =(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Tence said:
Recently I purchased Hitogata Happa. I love the game and the graphics but damn.... this game is kicking me in the balls.... repeatedly.... on easy.

I am afraid I am not made for bullet hell games.

Yeah, HH is quite hard (as hard as Gundemonium Re:collection). Although GundeadliGne is the most doable shmup from the three. I was able to finish hard.

Also yeah, my favorite one among the 3 is GundeadliGne, then Re:collection. I didn't like HH that much.

Also, any reviews/insights about PSN's Cho Aniki and Gaiaseed?

Yes Boss!

ULTROS! said:
Yeah, HH is quite hard (as hard as Gundemonium Re:collection). Although GundeadliGne is the most doable shmup from the three. I was able to finish hard.

Also yeah, my favorite one among the 3 is GundeadliGne, then Re:collection. I didn't like HH that much.

Also, any reviews/insights about PSN's Cho Aniki and Gaiaseed?
Cho-Aniki is wretched...only for fans of the PCE original for completion. I'd avoid otherwise. Gaia Seed is really quite nice, especially on a portable system. Tempted to double-dip to show my support for the NA innitiative.

Dave Long

Banned
Wow... now I have to get KOF: Sky Stage. I thought the demo was good, but if it gets better in the full release, I'm there. I also really dug the KO when I defeated the boss. Silly and awesome all at the same time.

Gaia Seed looks like fun, even if PepsimanvsJoe thinks it's no good.

Really happy with the abundance of shooters this year, and without having to import for the most part, too!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
Is Otomedius coming to the US?

Just Otomedius Excellent.

CAVE343

I'm playing Ketsui at the moment and wow it's kicking my ass all over the place.
Even the first stage is hard! I love it though, it plays like a dream. I guess it's going to take some time (a year or so haha) before I can 1cc it :)

Just started playing Mushihimesama (the first one) as I recently got a Japanese PS2. Only playing for survival at the moment; it seems harder than the sequel!

andymcc

Banned
the load times are simply excruciating on that port. i'm the kind of dude that, if i fuck up on the first stage, i'm quitting back to the title screen. that process takes a pretty damn long time on PS2 mushi.

Yes Boss!

That Espgaluda Arika port is GODLY! D'you pick that one up? That and the 5pb Ketsui port are probably my two favorite looking discs...love when a straight arcade port is given. I love the HD upgrades, too, but the arcade versions that appear on those discs are too blocky.

andymcc

Banned
Yes Boss! said:
That Espgaluda Arika port is GODLY! D'you pick that one up? That and the 5pb Ketsui port are probably my two favorite looking discs...love when a straight arcade port is given. I love the HD upgrades, too, but the arcade versions that appear on those discs are too blocky.

yeah. it's pretty nice. i'm partial to DOJ myself, as i love the arrange soundtrack.

Yes Boss! said:
No, but I do have DOJ.
Along with Mushi, I bought it loooong before i got my JPS2 :lol

Yes Boss!

_dementia said:
No, but I do have DOJ.
Along with Mushi, I bought it loooong before i got my JPS2 :lol
Have'nt put any time into the first Mushi. Even when I hooked the Taito disc up to an arcade monitor it was tough looking. Loading is quite a ballbuster as well. It is good for the added arrange...so I'll always keep it. I'd sure like to pick up the PCB but I'm willing to wait a year or two more with the hopes of a 360 port. The other Taito Ibara disc is not much better...my PCB compared is like night and day. I really want a 360 Ibara set as well since my cabinets are in storage for the coming years. And that black label version has the awesome carnival feel.

I'm starting to crave PS3 versions of these games. Wish Cave would port them to that system so we don't have to worry about all the silly region stuff.

That PS2 DOJ disc is a keeper!

CAVE343

I've been playing arcade mode Ketsui a lot (not with any succes haha), but I was wondering what the option: "Xbox Live Game" is? Is that for the leaderboards? If so, what difficulty is it on; I guess normal?

Also, I don't get the scoring system of X-Mode, I do understand the (relatively simple) scoring system of the Arcade mode though. Can anyone explain it to me?

May as well come out and say it.
I sold my copy of Mushihime 1 for about $40ish because at the time a budget re-release was in the cards.

Turns out that never happened and the game costs a million dollars these days. I could have been rich if I waited a few months. =(

Oh yeah and Blast Wind. Bought it for $20 way back and all I can say is Fuck that overrated game. How much does it go for these days? Probably $200 more than it's actually worth.

Traded that and a copy of Wolf Fang SS for Twinkle Star Sprites SAT. Sure I got more play out of TSS than any of the above games put together but the resale value sucks comparatively.

hipgnosis

Yeah the PS2 Arika ports are pretty damn good, got them both recently. I've been playing a lot of DOJ since then, what an awesome game. It is my favorite Cave game after Futari now.

The superplay DVDs were also a nice bonus!

Yes Boss!

bad-joey said:
I've been playing arcade mode Ketsui a lot (not with any succes haha), but I was wondering what the option: "Xbox Live Game" is? Is that for the leaderboards? If so, what difficulty is it on; I guess normal?

Also, I don't get the scoring system of X-Mode, I do understand the (relatively simple) scoring system of the Arcade mode though. Can anyone explain it to me?
All these 360 games you have to play the Live version to upload your score. They lock things an stuff so everyone is on equal footing. I did look for your scores a week or two ago and did not see any, so now I understand.

CAVE343

Yes Boss! said:
Have'nt put any time into the first Mushi. Even when I hooked the Taito disc up to an arcade monitor it was tough looking. Loading is quite a ballbuster as well. It is good for the added arrange...so I'll always keep it. I'd sure like to pick up the PCB but I'm willing to wait a year or two more with the hopes of a 360 port. The other Taito Ibara disc is not much better...my PCB compared is like night and day. I really want a 360 Ibara set as well since my cabinets are in storage for the coming years. And that black label version has the awesome carnival feel.

I'm starting to crave PS3 versions of these games. Wish Cave would port them to that system so we don't have to worry about all the silly region stuff.

That PS2 DOJ disc is a keeper!

Yeah, why don't they port them to the PS3? Why only to the 360? Did Cave explain that at some point why they only chose the 360? It would be great for more people to have access to the awesome Cave library. (Although it would hurt a bit for me if Cave would announce PS3 ports, since I just bought a ntsc-j 360 :lol)

hipgnosis

bad-joey said:
Yeah, why don't they port them to the PS3? Why only to the 360? Did Cave explain that at some point why they only chose the 360? It would be great for more people to have access to the awesome Cave library. (Although it would hurt a bit for me if Cave would announce PS3 ports, since I just bought a ntsc-j 360 :lol)
I think it's because Sony doesn't let them release 2D games as retail packages for the PS3.

CAVE343

Yes Boss! said:
All these 360 games you have to play the Live version to upload your score. They lock things an stuff so everyone is on equal footing. I did look for your scores a week or two ago and did not see any, so now I understand.
That could indeed be the cause, or that I scored to low to chart the leaderboards ;-)
hipgnosis said:
I think it's because Sony doesn't let them release 2D games as retail packages for the PS3.
That's ridiculous! What's kind of policy is that? Sony only wants 2D games on PSN I guess? The Cave shooters are definitely better than most of the games available on PS3 (imo) Oh well, too bad.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
May as well come out and say it.
I sold my copy of Mushihime 1 for about $40ish because at the time a budget re-release was in the cards.

Turns out that never happened and the game costs a million dollars these days. I could have been rich if I waited a few months. =(
That did happen. My version is the Taito Best one, and I picked it up for $35 way back when.
The one you're thinking of is Ibara. After Square-Enix acquired Taito, the planned budget rerelease of Ibara went bye-bye. This fucked me in the ass because I remember waiting for it only to have it quietly canceled.

The Taito Best Mushi still has a nice resale value though, just not as high as the original print.

So uh, kinda OT, but I figure this is as good a place to ask as any. I'm looking into buying a monitor that has zero input lag for shooters and fighting games, and right now it seems like the Asus VH236H (aka the EVO monitor) and the Panasonic Viera X1 series are the best options. Does anyone here have either of them? I'm mainly curious if you can TATE them without killing the image due to poor viewing angles or whatever.

Oh, and speaking of Ibara, I was just playing some of that the other day. I hate shooters that have poor bullet visibility. I practically have to point-blank my TV just to see properly. :|

iconoclast said:
Oh, and speaking of Ibara, I was just playing some of that the other day. I hate shooters that have poor bullet visibility. I practically have to point-blank my TV just to see properly. :|
Never play Battle Garegga :lol

That Asus is good if you absolutely, positively must get a flat panel. I don't know how the other modern releases are, but I am pretty sure Mushi Futari has an LCD lag compensation option (that's on by default?)
I just use an old CRT monitor for progressive scan STG on DC and X360 over VGA, and at the moment I use a CRT TV for my PS2 and Saturn over S-Video.

Top Bottom