• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

ChryZ

Woah, excellent timing. I just got 5000yen for my JP wallet. Zanac X Zanac will be mine :D

Flek said:
i cant find DoDonPachi in the jap store -_- !? Where is it?
Goto genre ジャンル, then shooting シューティング and look for:

怒首領蜂 DoDonPachi

8tnu01000001bodp.jpg

Not to confuse with 首領蜂 DonPachi (but also awesome)

8tnu010000015qhj.jpg

Yes Boss!

There is probably an easier way but here is how I got there. Wait on the main screen a few seconds till the PS1 classics advert bar shows and click on it:

282a3c7b.jpg

Then, scroll down to the number 5 block (for the fifth month) and click on that. Both the Cave games are in there:

a4622c2c.jpg

Zanac X Zanac is at the top of the current best sellers and easy to find, as well.

NeoGeo Heroes Ultimate Shooting is out now. I got my copy last night and I saw that it's on the JPN PSN as well when I grabbed the UNS2 demo

I'm really feeling it right now. Lots of stuff to unlock, 10 characters to play around with and the full version of SkyStage is available too. I'm gonna have to dive into story mode a bit later on when I get a chance.

I got a chance to record a bit of gameplay just in case people were curious about what was there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVpv-Nnw818

They should put this up on Live instead of SkyStage alone. Just so I can understand the story a bit more.

_dementia said:
Hey ReXXX, how to you capture from your PSP like that? Is it through the component out, or is it an application on the device?

RemoteJoyLite .20a + Fraps + Double Ended Head Phone Jack

To me that is the most cost effective and headache free way to do it. And it comes out good most of the time. Other times it shows me that I need RAM in my computer bad as fuck. If you need some more info on how to get it set up then let me know and I'll give you the information you need.

I picked up DonPachi, DodonPachi, Shien-ryu, Thunderforce V, Einhander, G-Darius & Raiden about a month ago i am having an absolute shooter-gasm even i really don't have any time to play because of work, family, etc (huuggeee backlog ftw). Does anyone have an idea about the chances of games like Thunderforce VI, Gradius V, DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou Black Label and Strikers 1945 II being released on the Japanese PSN at some point? I'm trying to decide if i should get a japanese ps2 or not to complete my ps shmup collection.

NonexistentK said:
I picked up DonPachi, DodonPachi, Shien-ryu, Thunderforce V, Einhander, G-Darius & Raiden about a month ago i am having an absolute shooter-gasm even i really don't have any time to play because of work, family, etc (huuggeee backlog ftw). Does anyone have an idea about the chances of games like Thunderforce VI, Gradius V, DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou Black Label and Strikers 1945 II being released on the Japanese PSN at some point? I'm trying to decide if i should get a japanese ps2 or not to complete my ps shmup collection.
I don't see it happening as they don't have PS2 games on PSN at all. Hell, some PS3s (I'd guess most out there currently, really) don't even emulate PS2.

ReXXXSoprano said:
RemoteJoyLite .20a + Fraps + Double Ended Head Phone Jack

To me that is the most cost effective and headache free way to do it. And it comes out good most of the time. Other times it shows me that I need RAM in my computer bad as fuck. If you need some more info on how to get it set up then let me know and I'll give you the information you need.
Ah, that makes sense. I had remotejoy lite a while ago before I reformatted my machine so I know what you're talking about. Thanks much.

A PStwo Classics setup should happen eventually. The PS3 is more than capable of emulating the damn thing but until that stone stops coughing up blood Sony isn't going to kill off the PS2 just yet.

Maybe by the time PS4 hits we'll be able to look forward to playing DoJ, Galuda, and so on. Course by that time I'll be old and decrepit with crippling arthritis so yay for that.

_dementia said:
I don't see it happening as they don't have PS2 games on PSN at all. Hell, some PS3s (I'd guess most out there currently, really) don't even emulate PS2.
that's what i thought so too but then i think i read some of rumours of Ps2 games coming to Psn this year & hoped that maybe just maayybee some of them could show up on the Japanese Psn. Oh well i don't wanna wait forever for Sony like Pepsiman says and i had my eyes on one of those white slim ps2s for some loong time anyways. import-age here i come.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Maybe by the time PS4 hits we'll be able to look forward to playing DoJ, Galuda, and so on. Course by that time I'll be old and decrepit with crippling arthritis so yay for that.
and lag

don't forget lag

conman

PepsimanVsJoe said:
A PStwo Classics setup should happen eventually. The PS3 is more than capable of emulating the damn thing but until that stone stops coughing up blood Sony isn't going to kill off the PS2 just yet.
Now that Sony's moving (slowly) into releasing HD upgrades of select PS2 games, I think that door has closed.

Hunahan

Banned
ReXXXSoprano said:
NeoGeo Heroes Ultimate Shooting is out now. I got my copy last night and I saw that it's on the JPN PSN as well when I grabbed the UNS2 demo

I'm really feeling it right now. Lots of stuff to unlock, 10 characters to play around with and the full version of SkyStage is available too. I'm gonna have to dive into story mode a bit later on when I get a chance.

I got a chance to record a bit of gameplay just in case people were curious about what was there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVpv-Nnw818

They should put this up on Live instead of SkyStage alone. Just so I can understand the story a bit more.
Thanks for the head's up.

Funny how PSP versions keep beating the xbla releases to market....would rather play with a joystick, but oh well...

Whopper

Hey all... just getting into this wonderful genre. I've been playing Deathsmiles lately and am looking at the Raiden series. Is IV better than Aces? Also, I know both have a horizontal (Tate I guess) mode but do the controls switch too? I like playing horizontally better. Finally, any other retail 360 shmups I should pick up? Thanks.

depths20XX

Whopper said:
Hey all... just getting into this wonderful genre. I've been playing Deathsmiles lately and am looking at the Raiden series. Is IV better than Aces? Also, I know both have a horizontal (Tate I guess) mode but do the controls switch too? I like playing horizontally better. Finally, any other retail 360 shmups I should pick up? Thanks.

Raiden IV and Raiden Fighters Aces are two entirely different beasts. Aces has more content but it really comes down to what kind you like. Aces is more frantic and has a much more complex scoring system. Raiden IV is more traditional in comparison. They're both great in my opinion.

Tate is actually for turning your monitor or tv on it's side so you can replicate the arcade experience. The controls dont change when you switch to tate. You might be able to change the controls somehow but that would be weird and I'd suggest playing it the way it's intended, which is vertically.

If you don't have Futari buy that, it's region free, best shooter on 360 in my opinion.

conman

Whopper said:
I'm in a similar boat. I've been a passing fan of the genre for a while now (Ikaruga, R-Type games, Gradius games, etc), but only recently got bitten by the shooter bug after jumping into Cave's games. In addition to Deathsmiles, I just got imports of both Mushihimesama Futari and Espgaluda II (both region free) and am deeply enjoying them. Definitely worth the premium for imported copies. I've also played most of the Raiden shooters and probably enjoy Jet the most (on the Aces collection), but YMMV.

And if you don't know about them already, there are quite a few classics on XBLA. Ikaruga, R-Type Dimensions, Xevious, etc. I've also really enjoyed Triggerheart Exellica.

ManeKast

GAF, what would be the best way to relive my glory days of playing Thunderforce II? Is it a downloadable title at all? My Genesis and cart were sold (curses) about 18 years ago.

Edit: would like to play on a console if at all possible dont have a PC with emulator.

Yes Boss!

OK, this is awesome! If you have a Go and a PS3 then pair the dualshock with it and play the Cave games in tate mode! With a pair of headphones it is like a mini arcade:

560e59d5.jpg

Yes Boss! said:
OK, this is awesome! If you have a Go and a PS3 then pair the dualshock with it and play the Cave games in tate mode! With a pair of headphones it is like a mini arcade:

560e59d5.jpg

4185722379_9fb7e8711d_b.jpg

I actually gutted a sixaxis to make a PS3 stick a while back
If I ever get a Go, I'm set :lol

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I'm not a huuuuuge Shmup player, but I've enjoyed several through the years. After seeing the list of DS shooters, I've come to realize the DS's touch screen is seriously underutilized for this genre. The touch screen has two great control choices that the shmups on the DS rarely use.

My favorite would be with control of the ship the way you control the Wisp in Knights in the Nightmare (a Shmup-bullet hell/SRPG hybrid). Move the ship on the top screen by dragging it around with the touch screen. Firing and changing weapons would be done with the dpad and L button (face buttons and R button for lefties). This control is perfect for bullet hell games. Knights in the Nightmare is a good example; the bullet patterns were often very intense.

I've never seen a game do this. Big Bang Mini was close. You drag the thingie around the screen dodging bullets and flick the stylus in the direction you wanted to fire on the touch screen to shoot. While the game is brilliant, I didn't like how you had to be leave the ball thing stationary to shoot. Also your hand gets in the way.

The other control scheme is to move the ship with the dpad and touch the screen around the ship to indicate the direction you want to fire. This lets you fire in all direction so the designers can be more elaborate with enemy placement. Geometry Wars kinda uses this control, but I was thinking more of a side or up scrolling game like Nanostray.

The PS2 version of Space Raiders had a European release as well as a Japanese one, under the name Space Invaders: Invasion Day. They didn't get the Gamecube version, though, while the US only got the GC one. This probbaly wouldn't go on the list, as European releases aren't listed there, but it's worth mentioning if it hasn't been.

Also, something I noticed on the list...

Super Fantasy Zone (GEN)

Before the US got it in the Virtual Console, Super Fantasy Zone had only been released in Europe and Japan, so it should be (MD), maybe... or maybe mark Gleylancer as (GEN)? One or the other should be done. I mean, you don't separate US from previously Japan-only TG16/TGCD releases in the Virtual Console... perhaps that should be done too? (Final Soldier and Detana! Twinbee would be PCE, that is HuCard titles. Cho Aniki, Gradius II, and Star Parodier would be PCECD. The others listed got US releases.)

First though, some missing games, from Virtual Console:

Uridium (C64) - there was a NES port of this, retitled to "The Last Starfighter". I think the original is maybe better? (The NES one wasn't very good)

King's Knight (NES)
Star Soldier (NES)

Space Invaders: The Original Game (SNES)

R-Type (SMS)

Forgotten Worlds (GEN)
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (MD) (part shmup)
Super Thunder Blade (GEN) (part shmup)

Air Zonk (TG16)
Psychosis (TG16)
Dead Moon (TG16)
Ordyne (TG16) (no EU release on VC)
Dragon Spirit (TG16)
Super Air Zonk (TGCD)
Monster Lair (TGCD) (part shmup; same game as Monster Lair for Megadrive, except this version is better)

Zaxxon (VC Arcade)
Gaplus (VC Arcade)

Ironclad (Neo-Geo)
Ninja Commando (Neo-Geo) (not autoscrolling, but otherwise it fits)

Wild Guns perhaps could be in the "notables" section as well, for SNES and Virtual Console. It's pretty good.

Space Harrier should also be in the notables I think, the VC Arcade version particularly for having motion-control aiming (still the only game in VC with that I think), but also the Arcade, 32X, and Saturn versions for sure. Maybe also the PS2 Ages remake? I've been playing a lot of 32X Space Harrier recently, and it's just an amazingly great game... certainly one of Sega's best rail shooters, right up there with Rez and the Panzer Dragoon series.

Oh, Cybernoid for C64 is also up, but I would definitely not call that a shmup, nor is it notable for anything other than being way too hard and not very fun at all, in my opinion... though I have only played it on NES, not C64.

Nintendo 64

US releases:
Namco Museum 64 - Galaga, Galaxian
Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth
Robotron 64 (arena shooter)

Japan releases:
Bakuretsu Muteki Bangaioh
Dezaemon 3D (shmup creator with a few built-in games)
Space Invaders (Activision's PSX/PC/N64 remake ver., not the original)
Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Volume 1 (Robotron, Sinistar, Defender)
Asteroids Hyper 64 (if you count Asteroids for this list, it's questionable; this is the same game as Asteroids on the PSX and PC, just retitled)

Saturn

US releases:
Galactic Attack (aka Layer Section and Rayforce)
Darius Gaiden
In the Hunt
Tempest 2000
Midway Presents Arcade's Greatest Hits: The Atari Collection 1 (if Asteroids or Centipede count)
Midway Presents Arcade's Greatest Hits (Sinistar, Robotron, Defender, Stargate)

Playstation

US releases:
Einhander
G Darius
Geki-Oh Shooting King (port of Shienryu)
In the Hunt
Mobile Light Force (Gunbird)
Philosoma
Raiden Project
Raycrisis
Raystorm
R-Type Delta
R-Types
Sol Divide
Strikers 1945 (US title, this is actually Strikers 1945 II)
Tempest X3
Thunder force V
Viewpoint
Xevious 3D/G+
Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits (Defender, Robotron, Sinistar, Stargate)
A Collection of Activision Classic Games for the Atari 2600
Atari Anniversary Edition
Atari Anniversary Edition Redux
Midway Presents Arcade's Greatest Hits: The Atari Collection 1 (if Asteroids or Centipede count)
Midway Presents Arcade's Greatest Hits: The Atari Collection 2 (if Millipede counts)
Namco Museum Vol. 1 (Bosconian, Galaga)
Namco Museum Vol. 2 (Xevious, Gaplus)
Namco Museum Vol. 3 (Galaxian, Phozon)
Namco Museum Vol. 4 (Ordyne, Assault)
Namco Museum Vol. 5 (Ninja Spirit, BaRaDuke, Legend of Valkyrie isn't a shmup but has a bit of shmup in it)

Dreamcast

US releases:
Bangai-o
Giga Wing
Giga Wing 2
Gunbird 2
Mars Matrix
Namco Museum (Galaga, Galaxian)
Atari Anniversary Edition
Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Volume 1 (Robotron, Sinistar, Defender)
Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Volume 2 (only if you count Moon Patrol, which probably shouldn't quite?)

ChryZ

Yes Boss! said:
OK, this is awesome! If you have a Go and a PS3 then pair the dualshock with it and play the Cave games in tate mode! With a pair of headphones it is like a mini arcade
I was going to get a PSP dedicated for my JP PSN account activations. I've been leaning towards a 3000 for that, but thanks to you I'm all torn now. How's the Go for SHMUPS?

Shinriji

Finally I get 1cc in Gundead. I saved the replay and gonna put on youtube someday. Also got the 6 Alter Breaks in 1 game. And now for the "The spice of life"... :D

So, how we activate the true last boss in Gundead and Gundemonium? My theory was "Skill Level equal or greater than 5 when you beat the last boss", but it isn't.

And I beat the 13 ship mode (Extra version) in Raystorm HD. But 1cc is freaking impossible....

Yes Boss!

ChrysZ,

Go is great for shooters. Better d-pad, way better screen, and the buttons below feel more natural. Being able to hook up a dualshock is way more awesome than it sounds. Seriously! Especially for tate games since the playfield opens up properly. A little awkward since you have to prop the system. Drawbacks: screen can be a little too small when playing 4:3 games like Gaia Seed, and you'll likely have to double-dip on a few PSN titles if you already own the UMD (Gradius Collection, etc).

2000/3000 are great too! No more ghosting like the launch systems, less expensive. Sometimes nice having a big screen. And it might seem awkward holding these in tate mode, with your shooting hand on top, but after a few minutes it becomes natural...so that option is there in some form.

I use a 2000 for my HK account, a 3000 for my JPN account, and (until recently) my Go for US content. Happy with all.

Yes Boss! said:
Ha!

That is awesome...wish I had a bluetooth stick.
If you're interested It was a super simple mod. 100% solderless, and reversible, so you can disassemble it and reassemble the regular controller should you ever need to. Look up toodles' AXISdapter. You'll need a sixaxis or early model Dualshock 3 specifically for it.

Yes Boss!

Definitely interested in doing something like that _dementia. Is this something I could do on a HRAP V3-SA? I head to europe next week for a couple of years and that is the only PS3 stick I'm taking with me...so my only option.

MoxManiac said:
What are the good region free SHUMPS for 360? No loli please.
Ikaruga on XBLA. The other region free games do have little kids in them, but they're way better. Your loss.

Yes Boss! said:
Definitely interested in doing something like that _dementia. Is this something I could do on a HRAP V3-SA? I head to europe next week for a couple of years and that is the only PS3 stick I'm taking with me...so my only option.
You could. You would have to remove the HRAP's PCB, strip the wires and rewire them to the axisdapter and sixaxis. with a little further ingenuity you could probably make the controller setting LEDs correctly correspond on the stick as well, but that is beyond me.

danmaku

_dementia said:
Ikaruga on XBLA. The other region free games do have little kids in them, but they're way better. Your loss.

He said "no loli" so I guess Mushi Futari should be ok for him.

fatty

OK, the games list on the second post has been updated. A Black Falcon, per your post I've also changed some of the VC titles to better reflect the region they were released in.

Shinriji

fatty said:
OK, the games list on the second post has been updated. A Black Falcon, per your post I've also changed some of the VC titles to better reflect the region they were released in.

I think that it's better to separate the Gundemonium Collection (Gundemonium Recollection, GundeadLigne and Hitogata Happa) because you can buy them separatedly.
And Zanac x Zanac is from the JP store, not from the US store.

fatty

Shinriji said:
I think that it's better to separate the Gundemonium Collection (Gundemonium Recollection, GundeadLigne and Hitogata Happa) because you can buy them separatedly.
And Zanac x Zanac is from the JP store, not from the US store.

Ah, thank you, the list has been corrected to reflect this.

Yes Boss!

_dementia said:
You could. You would have to remove the HRAP's PCB, strip the wires and rewire them to the axisdapter and sixaxis. with a little further ingenuity you could probably make the controller setting LEDs correctly correspond on the stick as well, but that is beyond me.

Ah, I see. Easy for a custom stick but harder for a mod. I'll probably begin picking up the parts for something down the line. Maybe one of the cheapy mad catz sticks is a good candidate.

Back on topic, I picked up Hitogata Happa. Strange and I don't know what is going on but I like it/the vibe. Default screen was stretched, which scared me a bit but, thankfully, there were screen options to get it back to normal. Cool it is up on PSN for some shooting love for the sony system.

ILikeFeet

Banned
a year ago, a friend showed me a website for a shmup game for the pc. I can't remember what it was but it was (I think) a Japanese indie game with online play and 3D models. maybe you guys can help me out.

Kraftwerk said:
I have a PSP go and REALLY want to play some shooters on it...i guess i NEED a jap psn acc?
p.s don't have ps3
You don't need to, but it's recommended, as the selection is significantly better. If you're North American, R-Types and R-Type Delta are on the PSN store though.

fatty said:

Sorry, a few more for the US Playstation that I somehow forgot to mention...

PSX - US
--
Asteroids (again, if we count it; this is of course also the Activision remake)
Galaga: Destination Earth (you have this incorrectly listed as a Japan-only release when in fact it was a US/EU exclusive not released there)
Space Invaders (Activision's remake -- note that this is not the same as the Japanese Space Invaders Variations. This was called Space Invaders X in Japan.)
Robotron X (arena shooter) (Robotron 64 was an upgraded port of this)

Sorry, I forgot to remove the Japan section from the N64 list in that post so I guess it was confusing. The new titles I added were US releases, not Japan.

US releases:
Namco Museum 64 - Galaga, Galaxian
Robotron 64
Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth
Asteroids Hyper 64
Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Volume 1 (contains Robotron, Sinistar, Defender)
Space Invaders

Japan releases:
Bakuretsu Muteki Bangaioh
Dezaemon 3D (shmup creator with a few built-in games)

Also I'm still not convinced that Tempest 2000/X3 should be in the main list, but whatever, it could be called a static-screen shooter I guess.

Oh, and of course Space Harrier was on a lot more systems than the four I mentioned, but I only was listing the ones that were good versions of the arcade game, not all the various 8-bit versions of the game which obviously don't come even close... not that they're bad for their systems, some are alright, but when you can play the real thing... I think it's good listed as it is.

Sunset Riders [Run & Gun] (SNES, GEN) Sega Genesis port is inferior to the SNES version

No, the Genesis version is a completely different game from the SNES one. The SNES one is a good but somewhat censored port of the arcade classic, while the Genesis one is a different game with different level designs using the same graphics and bosses, those that return (Genesis Sunset Riders has only four of the eight bosses and level themes present). I've probably said that before though. :)

Shiv47

I like the idea of getting a PSP Go to access Japanese shooters, but does the Go allow for multiple accounts like the PS3?

Yes Boss!

Shiv47 said:
I like the idea of getting a PSP Go to access Japanese shooters, but does the Go allow for multiple accounts like the PS3?

It allows multiple accounts but you can't have them all at the same time. In other words you have to authorize it for the region store you want each time. Simple process, though. And you can leave all your files on there already downloaded. Just "flip the switch" so to speak.

Shiv47

Yes Boss! said:
It allows multiple accounts but you can have them all at the same time. In other words you have to authorize it for the region store you want each time. Simple process, though. And you can leave all your files on there already downloaded. Just "flip the switch" so to speak.

You mean logging out of, say, the American account and then logging into the Japanese one to play that content? I've read that you can't play the content of one store when logged into an account created for another, which makes sense.

Yes Boss!

Shiv47 said:
You mean logging out of, say, the American account and then logging into the Japanese one to play that content? I've read that you can't play the content of one store when logged into an account created for another, which makes sense.

Yep,

But you have to do it from within the PS3 dashboard with the PSP in USB mode. There is a special menu for activating your PSP there for a specific account. Pretty simple, if a minor annoyance. That said, if you are just playing everything on the PS3 then all content from all regions is playable from your main account.

Top Bottom