• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin' 2016 |OT2| Sometimes You Just Need to Shoot for a Double

Zach

qxhvOIl.jpg

Get well soon, Jamie-San.

Strax

Before I started watching wrestling again 3 years ago I watched WCW as a kid (9-11) from 1997 to 1999 and I never understood why Ric Flair was there and how won. Yeah, he was funny but he looked like a grandpa.

Zach

luckily looks arent everything. i know what hes about and i dont need his looks to dictate it. i dont think he looks like a jobber. you think he looks like a jobber. dudes like KO breaking the mold and getting over despite of "generic" look renders whatever point you are trying to make useless.

i mean, the foundation of this now mainstream industry was built by a dude wearing yellow underwear. and a red bandana. what are you arguing?

Are you saying Kevin Owens and Hulk Hogan would have a similar effect on the layman? Because I don't think that's true at all.

Mahonay

Banned
Before I started watching wrestling again 3 years ago I watched WCW as a kid (9-11) from 1997 to 1999 and I never understood why Ric Flair was there and how won. Yeah, he was funny but he looked like a grandpa.
Ric Flair looking like a weird grandpa was a strong reason I stayed away from WCW as a kid.

klonere

Banned
The wXw World Tag League will end up looking better, being more relevant and making more money than Bound for Glory, that's a shoot.

I saw you originally giving her a ten before that edit, Heroman.

Dead eyes and no facial expressions of any kind make this not true.
Eh, she busted out some good expressions in her brief time with the GOAT gimmick. Some people (not here, thankfully) actually legit bought her fake injury because 'Eva can't act that good'.

Mahonay

Banned
I saw you originally giving her a ten, Heroman.

Eh, she busted out some good expressions in her brief time with the GOAT gimmick. Some people actually legit bought her fake injury because 'Eva can't act that good'.
Moving your face slightly does not count as good facial expression.

Gimmick has been great though.

Heroman

Banned
I saw you originally giving her a ten before that edit, Heroman.

Eh, she busted out some good expressions in her brief time with the GOAT gimmick. Some people (not here, thankfully) actually legit bought her fake injury because 'Eva can't act that good'.
She is a ten look the in normal world but in term of wrestling I can't take her seriously as a wrestler which brings her down.

Fox318

There should be a 4th category:

Heat/Drawing Ability:

How much do you want to see a guy win or get his face caved in?

Eva is a 10 there.

Fox318

Honestly Eva should't sell.

What would make the marks more upset is if they saw somebody with the Vince look noselling everything from their favs.

Imagine Eva getting up Ultimate Warrior style from a Belly to Bayley?

Everything with Eva should be focused on pissing the crowd off.

Where's the most recent example of awful Eva selling? Not the parts where it showed what she was like when thrust into wrestling after barely half a years worth of training. Because she took some good hits from Asuka when in NXT, and definitely more then one stiff as fuck hits.

Off-track but his Regal match was great. Promo on the other hand was too short and too bland.

Edit: Oh God, the days of 'WAS IT A SHOOT' after that post-draft promo. Good times, I got worked too IIRC.

Cagey

Banned
Some enterprising community minded person should set up a poll and database for wrassle GAF to collectively Bret Hart Scale all the wrestlers.

Ithil

Where's the most recent example of awful Eva selling? Not the parts where it showed what she was like when thrust into wrestling after barely half a years worth of training. Because she took some good hits from Asuka when in NXT, and definitely more then one stiff as fuck hits..

Last time I saw her wrestle was that boring as shit 10 minute match with Asuka (where Asuka inexplicably sold for more of the match than Eva) and she still moved and sold like a primary school kid trying to remember his stage directions in a Nativity play.

Mahonay

Banned
Last time I saw her wrestle was that boring as shit 10 minute match with Asuka (where Asuka inexplicably sold for more of the match than Eva) and she still moved and sold like a primary school kid trying to remember his stage directions in a Nativity play.
She struggles with basic motor skills.

Zach

you're getting old.

summary: i dont get criticism or hype around how someone looks nor do i think for a second it is inherently important to building a character whatsoever. the look is simply an extension of the character on display but not necessarily integral in creating it.

let's use undertaker for example. you put his debut costume on anyone on that roster at the time, hell, even today; is it the same character?

You're older than me, GravyTrain!

And you'll never convince me that wrassle looks are not key. A look can easily make (Sid Vicious) or break (Arn not being perpetual World Champeen) a wrassler.

luckily looks arent everything. i know what hes about and i dont need his looks to dictate it. i dont think he looks like a jobber. you think he looks like a jobber. dudes like KO breaking the mold and getting over despite of "generic" look renders whatever point you are trying to make useless.

i mean, the foundation of this now mainstream industry was built by a dude wearing yellow underwear. and a red bandana. what are you arguing?

There's nothing really generic about Kevin Owen's look either, no one important in the past wrestles in the clothes he does, or has his look, which is working right now.

Top Bottom