• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooter with the most awesome/satisfying headshots.

Solider of Fortune 2

256104ka8c.jpeg

From this thread

Gears for sure. It's the only game where getting headshotted actually creates a jump scare reaction to the recipient....so brutal.

VATS headshots in Fallout 3 are a close second.

see5harp

Yeah, this is correct. Nothing beats opening the round with a headshot from your Desert Eagle on a dgl eco.

I'm amazed to see that people seem to love the ones in Gears that much. They don't give me any kind of satisfaction.

I think if you consider the actual difficulty, scarcity of long shot ammo, and sound effect and resulting scare, it's easy to realize why so many love Gears.

Booshka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3yZG0QRePE

Shadowrun has great headshots, sniper headshots are very hard to pull off and the spewing blood combined with the animation makes it very satisfying when you get one.

I gotta say Gears 1 has the best ones though, I played a shit ton of Gears 1 and loved all those Longshot headshots, Gnasher headshots were awesome too. Great sound and visuals, the watermelon pop sound is awesome. I've been playing the Mass Effect 3 Demo and that game has very similar headshots to Gears.

Satchel

Banned
Gears is top overall because of the visceral nature and the fact that you can headshot with almost any weapon.

CoD and Halo also have great sniper headshots.

Big-E

Outside of the obvious modern examples, I am going to mention Syphon Filter on the PS1. They weren't really visceral but I enjoyed how the game rewarded you for headshots as a lot of enemies took a long time to take down if you went for the body but a single headshot was all that was needed to take out mostly all of the enemies.

Decado

Killzone 2 is pretty high up there. Red Dead Redemption as well. KL2 also had the neat bit where if you shoot a dude in the head, it gets pixelated (but it doesn't have the best head shots).

But Max Payne 3 will probably take the crown in May...
Holy shit! I'm pumped for this title now. The Max Payne games were always in desperate need of model damage.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I for one love to play sniper on shooters. Doesn't mean I'm any good at it, but I like the empowerment that comes with nailing someone with a headshot.

What Shooter do you believe has the most satisfying headshot.

For me has to be Gears 1. The game that made me buy a 360.

I remember playing this game when it came out and pouring hours online. I also remember feeling so good when i used the longshot to nail someone in the head. It is the combination of the sounds that it makes and the head GIBS that follow. I also remember very fondly the jolt that i felt when i was head shotted in the game.

Well, for those that haven't played gears one, here's the montage provided by MrOogieBoogie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y-57IRZuS0

Share your favs.

agree with gears one.
popping heads with the sniper is just incredibly satisfying.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You know what, I take it back :p

It's interesting how the game over time makes you shy away from head shots - I do remember I winced every time one of these guys head popped off, because I feared one of these bugs would come out.

Later on, the devs just said fuck it and made these bugs appear even if you weren't aiming for the head.

They always appeared regardless of headshots. The only way to make sure they didn't was to get a kill via suplex.

RE4 has great headshots, only beat by Gears of War which is just bliss in that regard.

DSix

Banned
Perfect Dark.

The sound, the gun animation, the bullet, the knockback of the head, and the following death animation. Pure gold.

Every other shooter is bland to me.
(RE4 is close second)

Top Bottom