• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooting at GOP baseball practice, multiple injured incl/ Maj. Whip Scalise

gcubed

It's still crazy that the bar is so low for Trump that not shitting and vomiting on himself while hurling racial epitaphs is considered a good speech

Mahonay

Banned
Murdering People and creating an atmosphere and polices that would help speed up peoples deaths arent really as far apart as you want to think. Just as some people kill others with poison vs ones who go for the most violent route.

Now deserving of it? I dont even know anymore with this atmosphere where they have embolden hatred, shoveled peoples concerns into the mud and a refusal to acknowledge a large swath of people in this country people will go further and further to be heard and yes this can be the result regardless of how righteous you want to be its reality and many of these things could be prevented if GOPers actually acted when children were murdered and cut out these loose gun laws in other states and had a way better baseline to ownership.

It doesnt have to be a total ban, but what we have now is wholly a mess when you can cross state lines and get a gun from a stranger without issue.
In my heart I believe the GOP are absolute scumbags for their role in blocking gun laws, openly suppressing minorities, devaluing women, and demonizing gay people. They don't deserve any good words.

I still don't believe they deserve violence upon them. Even if I hate them.

Chozoman

Banned
Shootings, even of children, the elderly, celebrities, police, and politicians, never have legislative sway in America. We've become completely numb to them.

You're overreacting. If Sandy Hook and San Bernardino didn't move the needle, this won't either. The second amendment is too strong.

I should have been clearer, I don't think there will be any changes to gun laws. I think there will be renewed interest in handicapping the media under the guise of stopping provocation, and an even tighter clamping down of the internet and free-press.

America will never give up it's precious, precious guns.

Bakercat

Imagine if trump had made the speech himself, ugh. Glad someone wrote on for him and he followed it completely. Made for a good statement to the American people. Sadly, we won't see much happening to keep these kind of incidents from happening again. In trumps speech he talks about all Americans coming together and that we are strongest when we are united. The only thing wrong with this is that the country is so divided on these issues. It's like if one party has an opinion on the subject, the other party has the exact opposite. Nothing ever gets done because no one will agree to do anything because each side is so far left or right to come in the middle to do anything. The longer this goes on the more the country divides, and I worry it will get to a point where bad things can happen in the country such as war.

Ekai

This will happen more often as more people are sentenced to death by republicans. As people become desperate they will look for acute solutions to chronic problems.

That's more or less my take on it. Republicans are waging a war on millions of minorities/people's healthcare/the very safety of the planet itself. And they've been waging this war for years. Seems some people are finally tired of it.

Wall

I'm speaking about a man who felt the need to use martial force against elected officials. That type of far left.

As far as I know, this is the first instance of someone tied with any part of what can be characterized as "the left" in the United States carrying out an armed attack on the government in the modern era. There isn't some organized element out there that wants to assasinate elected officials - thankfully.

This is not the way. I'm it looks like everyone but the shooter is going to be okay.

love this cycle of "wait trump didn't insult anyone, shit himself, or literally cram his own head up his ass in a speech? looking presidential" that we keep getting caught in in this alternate universe.

wait, no i don't. it's pathetic

van jones where you at bruh

McBryBry

Sure the incident is in a different state, but him living 30 minutes out makes it a little more 'real' I guess. Its a big wtf moment.

Ganhyun

Did the poster who claimed to know the shooter ever respond to the questions about what the guy was like?

edit:

Also, ABC news saying that 6 people injured, including the shooter. Shooter is dead and two of the victims are in critical condition.

I should have been clearer, I don't think there will be any changes to gun laws. I think there will be renewed interest in handicapping the media under the guise of stopping provocation, and an even tighter clamping down of the internet and free-press.

America will never give up it's precious, precious guns.

I'm still not seeing how "the media" is to blame is we find out this man was politically motivated by (what everyone is guessing is) health care.

Even the most right-wing of supreme court justices is going to laugh at legislation that presumes to protect the president or congress from criticism.

Don't be a dbag

Having something tangentially in common with a murderer or victim isn't in and of itself, an amazing coincidence.

cromofo

How easy it is for a single public appearance to change minds despite his history of scummery. Really GAF? Really.

fairweather liberals are a putrid bunch.

Took long enough.

How do you even connect this from someone stating it was a good speech to changing their minds about him I don't even know.

Re-think who you're calling putrid. Talk about knee-jerking. My god.

JoeBoy101

How easy it is for a single public appearance to change minds despite his history of scummery. Really GAF? Really.

I think your dramatically overreacting to posts that are surprised he didn't shit the lecturn bed. I sincerely doubt it changed people's overall opinion of the man. At least here anyways.

Got said:
fairweather liberals are a putrid bunch.

So are liberals demanding purity tests and rabid to tear into their own allies.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I really don't know what to say about this situation.

Sorry the policies your party supports to the bitter end finally came back to bite you in the ass?

I'll pray for you?

I don't condone shootings but American conservatism is why these shootings happen so often and usually rack up higher body counts to boot. Because it's too goddamned easy to arm up and commit mass murder in this country.

Kud Dukan

Where does anyone do anything remotely like what you are suggesting? You can say that a statement was decent, or better than expected, without suddenly normalizing Trump or suddenly thinking he's an alright guy.

Saying Trump's speech wasn't shit isn't the same as saying he's a good president, FFS. You are allowed to commend Republicans when they do something human once in a while.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
So now that Trump gave a shockingly cogent, but still robotic teleprompter reading, what's the countdown until he changes tone completely and goes on a tweet storm about the violent left?

I'm glad nobody apart from the shooter was apparently fatally wounded. I can't imagine how, in his mind, he thought this would aide any cause. Another day, another unhinged person with a gun in America. :(

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
"I am truly saddened that this senseless violence took place on my birthday, of all days"

A small part of me was expecting him to say something like that

Chozoman

Banned
I'm still not seeing how "the media" is to blame is we find out this man was politically motivated by (what everyone is guessing is) health care.

I've been hearing reports that government officials are blaming news outlets for riling up people with the constant "attacks" on the president and his cabinet/administration/legislation.

I've been hearing reports that government officials are blaming news outlets for riling up people with the constant "attacks" on the president and his cabinet/administration/legislation.

"Government officials" meaning people in the administration? Those paragons of honesty? They'd have said shit no matter the outcome.

Top Bottom