• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooting at GOP baseball practice, multiple injured incl/ Maj. Whip Scalise

I should have been clearer, I don't think there will be any changes to gun laws. I think there will be renewed interest in handicapping the media under the guise of stopping provocation, and an even tighter clamping down of the internet and free-press.

America will never give up it's precious, precious guns.

How on Earth did you come to this conclusion? A GOP congressman got shot and you think they're going to go full extremist censorship everything not pro-gun on everybody?

MogCakes

Took long enough.

How do you even conclude this from someone stating it was a good speech to changing their minds about him I don't even know.

Re-think who you're calling putrid. Talk about knee-jerking. My god.
It was a bog standard speech written by one of his aides. Nothing about Trump has actually changed, nor can the sudden 'presidential' look even be attributed to him. What is surprising is how easily people latch onto it, or can't seem to see through the facade.

guggnichso

Banned
wait, you're not even American and you're saying my comparison is misguided? Oh you sweet soul.

Your "comparison" was marginalizing the horrific deaths of millions. I don't care where you come from, you don't know what you're talking about. Go and inform yourself, read some history books or better: Go to an old people's home. Find a holocaust survivor. Ask them how life and death in the camps was like. EDUCATE yourself. And then come back to me and tell me life under Trump is in ANY way comparable to this.

And before anyone else only reads the last post: The Trump presidency is the worst thing that could possibly have happened to the entire western world. The man needs to go. As soon as possible. I say it again: I only object to the marginalization of the holocaust in this thread.

In my heart I believe the GOP are absolute scumbags for their role in blocking gun laws, openly suppressing minorities, devaluing women, and demonizing gay people. They don't deserve any good words.

I still don't believe they deserve violence upon them. Even if I hate them.

Do you consider condemning someone with a pre-existing health condition to death by getting rid of their access to health care an act of violence?

It was a bog standard speech written by one of his aides. Nothing about Trump has actually changed, nor can the sudden 'presidential' look even be attributed to him. What is surprising is how easily people latch onto it, or can't seem to see through the facade.
You need to self reflect, as literally nobody has said Trump is magically different, other than a couple of joke posts. We don't have to be hysterical freak out level so high that we can't acknowledge that he met a minimum standard of decorum in his duties.

Bakercat

Number of mass shooting in 2015.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/one-mass-shooting-happens-per-day-u-s-data-shows/

List of each mass shooting in 2016.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mass-shootings-in-the-united-states-and-europe-in-2016

There is a major mass shooting problem in the USA. It always bothered me that we never pay attention to these mass shootings until someone important gets hurt or the casualty rate is high. Something needs to be done to help solve this problem in this country.

Z_Y

I'm not.

It's annoying when people try to make a tragedy about themselves despite there being absolutely zero link.

"I know someone who works in the town that the shooter who tried to kill someone in another town was from!" is silly.

Put down the Psych 101 book, Freud. It was just a casual innocent observation. Most people from smallish towns would get excited about their town suddenly getting thrust into the news.

cromofo

You're saying the same thing again.

No one is changing their minds or failing to look through the facade because of this one speech.

People noticed that this speech was good, which it was. That's it. It doesn't mean anything.

Mahonay

Banned
Do you consider condemning someone with a pre-existing health condition to death by getting rid of their access to health care an act of violence?
Stop treating me like a child. I'm a 31 year old man who's been following politics since I was a child and have always been liberal. I have a gay dad and a black sister. I could not possibly be more anti-right wing and anti-Republican.

I'm just a pacifist. If that's not ok with you guys, so be it.

jay

It's like Trump has magically become a new, better person. I really can't wait to vote for him next presidential election. Speaking of presidential, that is what Trump is, 100%.

cromofo

It's like Trump has magically become a new, better person. I really can't wait to vote for him next presidential election. Speaking of presidential, that is what Trump is, 100%.

Right on. He really is a swell guy after all.

DCSzsGBXUAAAeL5.jpg:large

JoeBoy101

Dammit! You need to see through the facade! Don't buy the speech hype, stay WOKE!

/s ... as if its even goddamn needed. :-/

the govt condemned me to death every day for 36 years by not offering me free health care

You can be cute about it all you want, but there undeniably are individuals who will be unable to afford healthcare necessary for life once the ACA is repealed.

This isn't even condoning the shooting. But lets stop pretending that politicians don't commit acts of violence.

Don't fret if you were worried that this wouldn't be politicized - the first 5 minutes of Rush Limbaugh has fixed that...

"The left media has continued to enrage people on their side, and I predicted this would happen"

If the attacker was Middle Eastern, would Trump have spoken in such a "presidential" way? Just curious.

See, that's the issue, because the tone changes completely under different contexts (or gets mostly ignored). There's zero consistency with these people other than "thoughts and prayers, please".

commedieu

Banned
The speech is insulting considering that it was just a normal reaction to violence in our country. It can't be ignored that he'd be calling for renewing his ban if it was a Muslim shooter, and fumbling over himself to agitate supporters at 3am. He just straight up ignores situations or antagonizes them like london, foe the most part.

This is very much a look at that bitch eating crackers take. But, the man is vile and needs to be removed from office.

Chozoman

Banned
How on Earth did you come to this conclusion? A GOP congressman got shot and you think they're going to go full extremist censorship everything not pro-gun on everybody?

Yes, I do! I never said they were going to flip the "censorship" switch and cut everything off immediately. It is just another domino falling.

This thread is in my history, so the moment I see a new piece of legislation introduced that resembles even a tiny step towards censorship, I'll post a link here immediately.

If it doesn't happen, I'll gladly eat my crow sandwich.

JoeBoy101

Clearly I need to lay off the coffee.

GAF can surprise me with many things, but take heart, it will NOT majority turn for Trump unless there is a pivot so massive and apologies so heartfelt that there cannot be any logical doubt to his sincerity.

So, in short, no chance.

It is definitely a special kind of evil.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not condoning this either. Just like riots though, I'm trying to understand the "why". The "why" seems pretty apparent to me.

Then again I also think pacifism is something the left in the US can more easily latch onto because our standard of living is higher. My tone might be different if we were living in Venezuela for example.

the govt condemned me to death every day for 36 years by not offering me free health care

lol I bet you think this is a cute retort too.

Dude Abides

Banned
If doing anything that might possibly lead to someone's death is an act of violence, I guess Terrelle Pryor was right after all.

Bernie really likes the phrase "let me be as clear as I can be."

Mahonay

Banned
Don't get me wrong. I'm not condoning this either. Just like riots though, I'm trying to understand the "why". The "why" seems pretty apparent to me.

Then again I also think pacifism is something the left in the US can more easily latch onto because our standard of living is higher. My tone might be different if we were living in Venezuela for example.
For sure, of course. But I live in the US and not Venezuela. My values align with my actual reality that I live in day to day.

Deepwater

Your "comparison" was marginalizing the horrific deaths of millions. I don't care where you come from, you don't know what you're talking about. Go and inform yourself, read some history books or better: Go to an old people's home. Find a holocaust survivor. Ask them how life and death in the camps was like. EDUCATE yourself. And then come back to me and tell me life under Trump is in ANY way comparable to this.

And before anyone else only reads the last post: The Trump presidency is the worst thing that could possibly have happened to the entire western world. The man needs to go. As soon as possible. I say it again: I only object to the marginalization of the holocaust in this thread.

you only feel it's a marginalization because I compared the effects of american white nationalism by bureaucrats to another bureaucrat who was responsible for the death of millions of people. My grandmother was the child of a slave, I have family members in jail because of the drug war, get outta here thinking you're the only one with proximity to tragedy.

I have an idea of the full range of scope of damage done by white nationalism in American govt (at the local, state, and national level) as well as the scope of damage done by the holocaust. Can you say the same?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Trump not being a buffoon for once isn't going to get any kind of positive statement from me. If anything it only further high lights what a shitty, ignorant piece of shit be really is rest of the time.

Top Bottom