• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooting at Jeep Plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

keiichi

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/27/plant.shooting.ap/index.html

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) -- A recently disciplined auto worker burst into a Jeep factory with a shotgun and opened fire, killing a supervisor and wounding two others, before fatally shooting himself.

The shootings at the Jeep Liberty Plant began about 8:45 p.m. Wednesday when the gunman leveled the shotgun he had hidden under his coat at a woman and told her he was there to shoot three people, police Chief Mike Navarre said.

"He gave her three names. He told her who he wanted and who he was going to shoot," Navarre said.

The woman, who was not harmed, got on a radio and called one of the men. A supervisor walked into the office, and the gunman shot him. The supervisor later died.

The woman then ran out of the office and warned co-workers over the radio, Navarre said. The police chief said he did not know if the two other victims didn't hear the women's plea on the radio or if they were already in the office.

Police identified the gunman as Myles Meyers, 54, of Toledo. By the time police arrived, Meyers had killed himself. The conditions of the injured workers -- one of whom was also a supervisor -- were not released.

The bomb squad was called when police noticed wires coming out from under Meyers' coat, apparently from a homemade wire sling he had used to conceal the weapon. Police also said he had strapped a stuffed animal to the back of his neck.

Dispatchers received 15 to 20 calls from people inside the auto plant after the shooting, and employees were running out of the building when authorities arrived. Officers were chasing the employees, not knowing who the shooter was, and not realizing he was already dead.

"It was pretty chaotic for a good 20 to 25 minutes," Navarre said.

Mary Beth Halprin, a spokeswoman for Chrysler Group, a division of Jeep's parent company DaimlerChrysler, said Meyers was disciplined recently for a minor infraction, but did not have details.

No one answered the door at Meyers' house, which is about four miles from the plant. A woman who answered the telephone at the home early Thursday said she had no comment and hung up.

The supervisor who died was identified as Roy Thacker, 50, of the town of Oregon, according to a coroner's investigator. He died at a hospital.

Worker Mike DeYoung told The (Toledo) Blade in Thursday editions that Meyers reported for his shift Wednesday afternoon, left during his lunch hour, and returned with the shotgun.

"I have been here 30 years. This is the worst day of my life," he told the newspaper.
Wow. I don't want to be all high and mighty but I think in the same situation I would have acted differently. I'm not sure how she'll be able to sleep at night.

demi

Well, where do I begin!

For one, I know where the guy lives. Down the road, in fact! I am friends with his son.

I talked with his mom (me and some friends stopped by last night), and apparently they were giving him just too much shit. Something about disciplinary (something?) and gave him 3 days off work. But thing is, he wasn't really working much from the start!

I think it's just a case of an exploding bomb. He snapped, that's all there is to it.

But this was a very big shock to all of us, we did not see it coming at all! He will be missed, he was a fucking king.

If anything, maybe this will wake up those fucks over at Jeep to start fixing things. I've been hearing a lot of complaints from workers.

Here are some more local news links:

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050126/BREAKINGNEWS/50126023

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=2862881 (streaming videos)

demi

commish said:
A person who snaps and kills people should not be labeled a king.

I will kill you, in the name of our king. But hey, anything to get you guys going!

COME ON I'M READY FOR ALL OF YOU.

Oh, did I leave the part out where you don't even know the guy?

OH YEAH I PULLED OUT THAT CARD LET'S SEE WHAT YOU FUCKERS GOT. FUCKERS.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
demi said:
I will kill you, in the name of our king. But hey, anything to get you guys going!

COME ON I'M READY FOR ALL OF YOU.

*runs under bed*

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
My roomate's girlfriend's dad works at this plant. Disgruntled employee, didn't surprise me much.

demi said:
OH YEAH I PULLED OUT THAT CARD LET'S SEE WHAT YOU FUCKERS GOT. FUCKERS.

OWNED

Willco

Hollywood Square
My roommate's cousin's uncle's best-friend's gay lover's aunt works at that plant and says he was wearing a Burger King crown.

commish

Demi, if it had been your dad who was blown away by that same disgruntled employee, would you still think of him as a king?

demi

Nah.

But since I haven't met my real dad yet...!

COME ON FINISH THE SENTENCE I KNOW YOU WANT TO. LET'S KEEP THIS CHARADE UP A LITTLE LONGER, LET'S DANCE.

commish

demi said:
Nah.

COME ON FINISH THE SENTENCE I KNOW YOU WANT TO. LET'S KEEP THIS CHARADE UP A LITTLE LONGER, LET'S DANCE.

*moonwalks*

Lil' Dice

Banned
demi said:
Nah.

"I challanege you to a duel"

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
<sigh> You think the pride of making vehicles that are TRAIL CERTIFIED would be enough.... I'm sorry that's TRAIL RATED I think.

commish

DarienA said:
<sigh> You think the pride of making vehicles that are TRAIL CERTIFIED would be enough....

I laughed at this. I'm soooo going to H-E-double hockey sticks.

demi

I just got off the phone with them.

The stuffed animal was so the wire harness didn't cut into his neck / back, that's all. Padding.

Dilbert

demi said:
That's because I am a fucking king. And it's nice to know you are so concerned.
Look, I don't know what the fuck is going on. The fact that this thread is turning into the usual OT inside joke jerkoff makes me think that you might be kidding, or maybe not.

Still, I don't care if the guy was always nice to you, or if he gave lots of money to his local charities, or if he made time every night to help little Johnny with his homework. He shot people at his work, and I think it's bizarre at best to label him a "king," or insinuate that his work conditions justify that kind of behavior.

Tarazet

He must have gotten depressed from making the same car since 1940.

jeep_wrangler_rubicon_2003_01_s.jpg

demi

-jinx- said:
The fact that this thread is turning into the usual OT inside joke jerkoff makes me think that you might be kidding, or maybe not.

Still, I don't care if the guy was always nice to you, or if he gave lots of money to his local charities, or if he made time every night to help little Johnny with his homework.

*fap fap fap*

Quite the opposite, actually! THE GUY CHASED ME AROUND WITH A BIT OF WOOD FOR TOUCHING HIS CAR.

And money? THE GUY BOUGHT CIGARETTES WITH FOOD STAMPS.

HOMEWORK!? HE CANT EVEN ADD SAID FOOD STAMPS!

Nah, I'm just joshing ya. *fap fap fap*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom